2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

BY Tiger Woods

Gxgolfer

Tiger's Latest Email to Fans
I played 36 holes at Oakmont Country Club on Sunday with my good friend Hank Haney. It's a great test, but has a lot of blind tee and second shots. Overall, I'd say it's a lot harder than Augusta National. It's an old-style course. I kept trying to figure out where the USGA was going to put the pin placements for the U.S. Open in June and I'm still not sure.

The greens were running about 10 ½ on the Stimpmeter, and they were plugged last week. I don't think they were designed for that kind of speed, so it should be interesting. I think the course is in phenomenal shape considering they had snow last week. If they get some good weather, the greens should be good in three weeks.

I played the afternoon round with Bob Ford, the head professional. I was curious to see how the 288-yard par-3 eighth hole - the longest par-3 in U.S. Open history - would play. I managed to hit the green with a 3-wood. Hey, I refuse to hit driver on any par-3!

On Monday, I did a corporate outing with American Express. I had lunch with about 80 people, then they watched me play Oakmont. The pins were set in the same places they were for the final round of the 1994 U.S. Open. Mike Tirico of ABC and Robin Roberts from Good Morning America were also out there.

The recent Masters Tournament was definitely one of the most draining weeks I've ever had in a major because the conditions were so difficult. Normally, that's not the case. That was one hell of a test.

The tournament committee kept it fair. The pin placements were just a touch softer than usual - about two to three feet easier, which is everything. At least they gave us a chance.

I had an opportunity to win the tournament on the back nine Sunday, which is always my goal. I made a great par at No. 11 after my 4-iron broke against a tree while hitting my second shot. I had 180 yards to the green and thought it was either a 4 or 3-iron. I figured if I hit a good 4-iron I could roll it to the front edge, but I caught a tree limb.

After I made the eagle at 13, I was right back in the game. I just missed my birdie attempt at 14, which was big, then drove into the right rough at 15. I had plenty of club to reach the green in two, but the wind kept switching all over the place. When the group in front was on the green, it was a perfect 4-iron. Then the wind was behind us and it was a 5-iron. Then it was howling in our face off the right and it was a perfect 3-iron. I tried to hit a 3-iron long, left and pitch the ball back up to the hole, maybe catch the left portion of the green. Unfortunately, I hit a terrible shot and was lucky to save par.

As for using a 4-iron, it wasn't an option. I always carry a spare driver, 3-wood and putter, but never back-up irons. Although it's a little-known rule, I could have asked my playing partner, Stuart Appleby, to borrow his 4-iron, but there's no way you'd ever do it. Everyone's clubs have different lofts, lies, grips, weight, etc.

At the 17th hole, the wind fooled me again on my second shot. At least, I guess that's what happened. Either I spun the shot too much or the wind died on me. I thought I hit the shot perfectly, but wound up in the front bunker and was lucky to save par. That's kind of how the week went.

People have asked if I felt okay that week because I looked tired and was always sniffling. My allergies were pretty bad because of all of the pollen blowing out of the trees and I took the Claritin pretty good. But that's not why I lost. Zach Johnson played a wonderful final round and deserved to win.

On May 26th, I host Tiger Jam X presented by AT&T at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas. Bon Jovi always puts on a great show. We keep in touch and I'm looking forward to seeing them perform again. They're a great bunch of guys. I can't believe this is our 10th year, and am so proud to celebrate this accomplishment. I'm also happy to report that events like Tiger Jam have helped my Foundation reach more than 10 million kids by raising funds and awareness.

One last thing before I go: We're thrilled that Congressional Country Club has agreed to be the host course for the inaugural AT&T National, July 5-8. Many thanks to the board of directors and members for making this happen. We are looking forward to an amazing week, so check out the ticket info at www.attnational.org.

That's all for now. Talk to you soon.

Tiger

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW - a 288 yard par 3......yummie... :drinks:

I can hit my 15° 3 wood 265-270 when I really go for it........with a draw......288 yards with a 3 wood.....wow....I'm not worthy....

Oh come on Claus. We all know "You Da Man"...knock your 4-iron up there, make your bird putt and head to the next tee. :D

I can hit my 15° 3 wood 265-270 when I really go for it........with a draw......288 yards with a 3 wood.....wow....I'm not worthy....

Oh come on Claus. We all know "You Da Man"...knock your 4-iron up there, make your bird putt and head to the next tee. :D

How long can you hit your 3 wood, if you really crush it ?

Actually last week I was sitting 270 out, tight lie, slightly uphill, but it was wide open to the front of the green and I managed to run my 3-wood up to the middle about 25 feet from the pin. :yes:

Oh come on Claus. We all know "You Da Man"...knock your 4-iron up there, make your bird putt and head to the next tee. :yes:

Actually last week I was sitting 270 out, tight lie, slightly uphill, but it was wide open to the front of the green and I managed to run my 3-wood up to the middle about 25 feet from the pin. ;)

Funny thing, I had the best 4 iron shot ever last week. I was in pretty thich and deep rough and had 245 yards to the middle of the green on a 565 yard par 5. I had crushed my drive, but ended in the rough. Decided to try and go for a lay up and chip in for my birdie or par. I took my Mizuno Mp FliHi 4 iron out of the bag and the ball sat up a bit in the rough, but I still had to go through some grass to hit the ball. I hit it and it was a flyer and it went directly at the flag - it hit the the stick and ended up 6 yards from the hole. I two putted for my birdie :D

This is the longest 4 iron I've ever hit in my life.