2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Mike Emery's Evolved Fundamentals of Golf (Review)

drewtaylor21

Where in relationship to impact would you say extension begins? Agree with the trigger of it for sure.

Supination, I think the way you are talking is the easiest way to teach but not necessarily the best way for rate of closure purposes. I have seen evidence that attempting to supinate the left arm can slow ROC when done in a specific way.

Not sure I understand the how you are getting right hip external rotation. Is that backswing or transition? I thought the book said backswing but am reading it here as transition.

Thanks for answering.

Where in relationship to impact would you say extension begins? Agree with the trigger of it for sure.

Supination, I think the way you are talking is the easiest way to teach but not necessarily the best way for rate of closure purposes. I have seen evidence that attempting to supinate the left arm can slow ROC when done in a specific way.

Not sure I understand the how you are getting right hip external rotation. Is that backswing or transition? I thought the book said backswing but am reading it here as transition.

Thanks for answering.

Concerning the right hip external rotation, I think Pepsi is the one who said that. If I recall the book says resist internal rotation in transition. Not sure though. Have to wait on mike for that answer.

Mike great book. Very detailed. Probably to detailed for me. I'm more paint by numbers. Haha. Thanks for answering questions.

I struggle with the hip move in transition. My right hip tends to work toward the ball way too early.

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

Concerning the right hip external rotation, I think Pepsi is the one who said that. If I recall the book says resist internal rotation in transition. Not sure though. Have to wait on mike for that answer.

Mike great book. Very detailed. Probably to detailed for me. I'm more paint by numbers. Haha. Thanks for answering questions.

I struggle with the hip move in transition. My right hip tends to work toward the ball way too early.

Yes, I was trying to avoid giving misinformation, especially when the author himself is here to answer questions...but my interpretation (and execution) of the transition is that the right knee/hip is still in external rotation from the backswing while the left knee transition move is started, so for that split second, both the left and right knee/hip are in external rotation in opposing directions...

But I merely speculate... :dntknw:

TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade M5 15* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2TS X
Callaway 815 Alpha Hybrid 21* - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90TX
Miura Baby Blade 4-P - KBS $-Taper X
Miura Wedges - 52*, 56* - KBS $-Taper X
Callaway MD4 Tactical 60*
PXG Darkness Operator

Yes, I was trying to avoid giving misinformation, especially when the author himself is here to answer questions...but my interpretation (and execution) of the transition is that the right knee/hip is still in external rotation from the backswing while the left knee transition move is started, so for that split second, both the left and right knee/hip are in external rotation in opposing directions...

I have downloaded the epub version to my Windows 10 laptop. What app (program) was used to open it? Would not open as either a .pdf or word doc. Also, how can I download it to my tablet (android)? now that I have downloaded it to computer - old guy here, not too computer savvy.

Thanks - Bruce

Another old guy here too Bruce. You need an app which will read the file. I got Redium which attaches to Chrome. If you use Chrome I would recommend it.

It's free and you can download it here;

http://readium.org/

Regards

Paul

Another technologically challenged senior here. i downloaded the EPub and can not open it. I clicked the redium link but I do not use google Chrome.

I should have ordered the hardcopy!

Thanks

If you have windows you can use calibfre which is free standalone program

http://calibre-ebook.com/

Exactly.

I think it is a case if semantics and definitions but want to clear up internal vs external rotation of the hips in the swing. You say the right hip externally rotates in the backswing. My guess is you say that because the entire pelvis rotates making it appear that the right hip is moving away from the center of the body. That isn't how internal/external rotation is defined though. In reality the joint motion is internal because the femur is essentially rotating toward the center of the body. The movement of the femur relative to the center of the pelvis defines internal vs external rotation for the hip joints. We aren't asking for the hip to make a different movement but we are using different terms and that can be confusing for people when instructors are on different pages with terminology.

I think it is a case if semantics and definitions but want to clear up internal vs external rotation of the hips in the swing. You say the right hip externally rotates in the backswing. My guess is you say that because the entire pelvis rotates making it appear that the right hip is moving away from the center of the body. That isn't how internal/external rotation is defined though. In reality the joint motion is internal because the femur is essentially rotating toward the center of the body. The movement of the femur relative to the center of the pelvis defines internal vs external rotation for the hip joints. We aren't asking for the hip to make a different movement but we are using different terms and that can be confusing for people when instructors are on different pages with terminology.

Yes you are exactly correct. I have to watch myself in explaining because a lot of times I just picture the pelvis moving, but in fact is internal.

Thank you for clarifying,

Mike

I think I'm lost on the definition of external /internal hip movement. I assume the hip or pelvis doesn't do anything but the joints connected to it from the femur are what is meant? So if the right knee turns toward the middle that would make the femur internally rotate and be considered hip internally rotating.

Having said that and i could be wrong. Fortworth and Mike on the transition beginning should the right ... Oh I just got lost and can't figure it out

I am also not quite understanding "scrunch" the left side. Does it mean squat and more flexion without rotating core yet. when I think scrunch left side I think left side lateral bend.

Bridgestone J33R speeder 652X
Titleist 910f 15 diamana kai'li s
Ping G30 5 wood S tour spec
Ping G30 7 wood S tour spec
Mizuno MP 37 s300 P-3
Wishon 575 mmc cavity P-4 Aerotech I95 moi'd
Callaway Mac Daddy 2 tg 54° 60°
Scotty Cameron black studio design I 2001 (stolen haven't found replacement)

I think I'm lost on the definition of external /internal hip movement. I assume the hip or pelvis doesn't do anything but the joints connected to it from the femur are what is meant? So if the right knee turns toward the middle that would make the femur internally rotate and be considered hip internally rotating.

Having said that and i could be wrong. Fortworth and Mike on the transition beginning should the right ... Oh I just got lost and can't figure it out

I am also not quite understanding "scrunch" the left side. Does it mean squat and more flexion without rotating core yet. when I think scrunch left side I think left side lateral bend.

Trail hip internally rotates in backswing and begins externally rotating in transition. Won't speak to the left side scrunch. That's is mikes terminology.

Can someone (Mike?) please simplify this for those of us who want to keep it simple...my swing thought count is going through the roof. Thanks

Scrunch is finding a way to tighten the left hip and hip flexor in order to create a pulling motion. If the left side is longer than the right side then no energy to pull. Left hip will remain energy free. The lower right side will be forced to try pushing the upper right. The lower right is much better at pulling the upper left side back, and coming into impact this will happen. But pulling the left upper left side back from the top would a little rough.

This is all too confusing. Internal, external, extension, transition, WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND CAN KEEP UP WITH ALL THIS.?

I play tennis pretty well, never have a thought. I play men"s basketball league, never have a thought. I shoot, don't worry about this muscle or that muscle or supination or pronation or extension or whatever. I fly fish, when I cast I never think about anything. I walk, I talk, I repair things around the house, I play ball wth my kids, I play Frisbee with my german shepherd, never think about anything but having fun. Never worry about all this technical stuff. If sex was taught by most golf instructors, we would never see another child born on earth. These clowns would present so many theories and exertions and contraction of this and that muscle group, that we would all be so confused, that abstinence would be a lot more relaxing.

My golf game is better than ever, because it finally sunk in that I have been suckered in with this crap. I have been an idiot, plain and simple. I have a lot of education, a lot of common sense, and seldom get suckered in, but golf was different. If someone told me that putting a rock up my butt would give me 10 more yards, I would probably have put 3 rocks up there. I have given away every book and DVD, and every training aid has been trashed. I am willing to be humble and admit to all this because I am successful and make a lot of money, that I could buy a game like anything else . It was just a matter of the next DVD or lesson or book. In reality, I am entitled to nothing golf wise, just like I have not been entitled to all my successes. When I have succeeded, it has been because of integrity and hard work, success cannot be bought. Same with golf. Delude yourself, but a game cannot be bought, you gotta put in the hard work or just accept the fact that you will be an average player and just get out there and have some fun,isn't that really the bottom line.

One thing I have learned, is that it all comes down to setup and alignment. I work on that every day now, every single day It was a wakeup moment for me when I discovered in the last few months through trial and error how bad my alignnemt was and how your vision can betray you. . No instructor has ever told me about the use of vision and my dominant eye, when I finally figured that all out on my own , that was the biggest difference. My eyes stopped fighting with each other. . Unless that is right, all this jargon crap is worthless. The golf swing is too quick to worry about all this jargon and this muscle group and that muscle group. You have to find it through practice, but without good alignement and setup, the rest is worthless.

These instructors who charge these ridiculous fees, what a joke All the power to them, it is a free market economy, and if people are willing to pay, why not suck it up.. Many of these guys are not educated, what a joke to pay an instructor more than a lawyer or a surgeon. Can't believe that police, firemen, teachers, nurses, etc, people who really make a difference, make less than a golf instructor That is sad, but it is only because we all have a lot of money,compared to the general public. You refuse to admit that to a large extent, golf is a game of hand to eye coordination. And many of you, no matter how much you will spend, will not get better. Just like no matter how much I try, I can only hit maybe 15% of 3 pointers when I play men's league. If I took lessons and practiced 5 hours a day, may be I could get to 20%, but I will never ever be close to a Steph Curry.. I know of no one that has paid a fortune for lessons and showed any major improvement. Most of the good golfers I know practice regularly, at home and on the range, And they work with alignment sticks, and spend a lot of time chipping and putting. We are reduced to suckers because for the most part golfers have more money than Joe Public, and a lot of us are Type A spoiled brats that think we can buy our way into anything. No other sport has more gadgets, DVDS, youtube tips, etc.

It is a new golf season. Rather than worrying about rotating this and that, and transitioning this and that, and contracting and loosening some muscle group, work on setup and alignment religiously. And understand your dominant eye and how your eyes process things. Then just work on ridding yourself of tension, and having good tempo, it will come together. And spend hours chipping and putting. And spend hours with alignment sticks. Just don't give it lip service, I mean hours. Give these know it alls out there the bird, what they teach is really bird poop. Our politicians lie, our bosses lie, we are a society of liars, why should we believe what most of these golf instructors say. Are they on some higher moral plane, well maybe some. . They are trying to make a living, very few of them really make it, so they say what we want to hear, they give us endless free tips, maybe some are sincere, but most are just trying to get recognition , so you might just take a lesson or sign up for a package . It is a new season folks, you gonna throw this one away also?

This is all too confusing. Internal, external, extension, transition, WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND CAN KEEP UP WITH ALL THIS.?

I play tennis pretty well, never have a thought. I play men"s basketball league, never have a thought. I shoot, don't worry about this muscle or that muscle or supination or pronation or extension or whatever. I fly fish, when I cast I never think about anything. I walk, I talk, I repair things around the house, I play ball wth my kids, I play Frisbee with my german shepherd, never think about anything but having fun. Never worry about all this technical stuff. If sex was taught by most golf instructors, we would never see another child born on earth. These clowns would present so many theories and exertions and contraction of this and that muscle group, that we would all be so confused, that abstinence would be a lot more relaxing.

My golf game is better than ever, because it finally sunk in that I have been suckered in with this crap. I have been an idiot, plain and simple. I have a lot of education, a lot of common sense, and seldom get suckered in, but golf was different. If someone told me that putting a rock up my butt would give me 10 more yards, I would probably have put 3 rocks up there. I have given away every book and DVD, and every training aid has been trashed. I am willing to be humble and admit to all this because I am successful and make a lot of money, that I could buy a game like anything else . It was just a matter of the next DVD or lesson or book. In reality, I am entitled to nothing golf wise, just like I have not been entitled to all my successes. When I have succeeded, it has been because of integrity and hard work, success cannot be bought. Same with golf. Delude yourself, but a game cannot be bought, you gotta put in the hard work or just accept the fact that you will be an average player and just get out there and have some fun,isn't that really the bottom line.

One thing I have learned, is that it all comes down to setup and alignment. I work on that every day now, every single day It was a wakeup moment for me when I discovered in the last few months through trial and error how bad my alignnemt was and how your vision can betray you. . No instructor has ever told me about the use of vision and my dominant eye, when I finally figured that all out on my own , that was the biggest difference. My eyes stopped fighting with each other. . Unless that is right, all this jargon crap is worthless. The golf swing is too quick to worry about all this jargon and this muscle group and that muscle group. You have to find it through practice, but without good alignement and setup, the rest is worthless.

These instructors who charge these ridiculous fees, what a joke All the power to them, it is a free market economy, and if people are willing to pay, why not suck it up.. Many of these guys are not educated, what a joke to pay an instructor more than a lawyer or a surgeon. Can't believe that police, firemen, teachers, nurses, etc, people who really make a difference, make less than a golf instructor That is sad, but it is only because we all have a lot of money,compared to the general public. You refuse to admit that to a large extent, golf is a game of hand to eye coordination. And many of you, no matter how much you will spend, will not get better. Just like no matter how much I try, I can only hit maybe 15% of 3 pointers when I play men's league. If I took lessons and practiced 5 hours a day, may be I could get to 20%, but I will never ever be close to a Steph Curry.. I know of no one that has paid a fortune for lessons and showed any major improvement. Most of the good golfers I know practice regularly, at home and on the range, And they work with alignment sticks, and spend a lot of time chipping and putting. We are reduced to suckers because for the most part golfers have more money than Joe Public, and a lot of us are Type A spoiled brats that think we can buy our way into anything. No other sport has more gadgets, DVDS, youtube tips, etc.

It is a new golf season. Rather than worrying about rotating this and that, and transitioning this and that, and contracting and loosening some muscle group, work on setup and alignment religiously. And understand your dominant eye and how your eyes process things. Then just work on ridding yourself of tension, and having good tempo, it will come together. And spend hours chipping and putting. And spend hours with alignment sticks. Just don't give it lip service, I mean hours. Give these know it alls out there the bird, what they teach is really bird poop. Our politicians lie, our bosses lie, we are a society of liars, why should we believe what most of these golf instructors say. Are they on some higher moral plane, well maybe some. . They are trying to make a living, very few of them really make it, so they say what we want to hear, they give us endless free tips, maybe some are sincere, but most are just trying to get recognition , so you might just take a lesson or sign up for a package . It is a new season folks, you gonna throw this one away also?

I am glad that you are so good at everything you do. I wish I could say the same about myself. I am very happy that you are playing golf up to your potential.

Hammerboy, evidently you do not know many good ;players because pretty much all of the good players I know have worked with a good instructor. The OP is a solid +2 handicap and I am pretty sure he didn't get there through his setup and understanding which eye was dominant. I have spent quite a bit on lessons over the years and is the reason I am not a hack. Not sure what your handicap is, but there are many many players out there that have benefited from working with a quality instructor, not to mention nearly every single player on the PGA Tour, European Tour, Web.com,, LPGA Tour, and you name it have worked with a great instructor to help them to where they are, and it wasn't done with an alignment stick.

Sorry you have such a sad attitude, maybe that is why you aren't able to improve?

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

Mike, I hope you don't mind me posting this:

It seems in the two bad examples by George the left hip would have no energy to pull the upper right, in the good example the left hip goes lower, upper right forward and at the end at p6 the POS ready to pull the upper left back.

If I'm completely off-track please let me know.

https://instagram.com/p/BAFghynCtxF/

It seems in the two bad examples by George the left hip would have no energy to pull the upper right, in the good example the left hip goes lower, upper right forward and at the end at p6 the POS ready to pull the upper left back.

From what I saw in that video, I agree with him. But I am not a fan the right hip going backwards like demonstrated in the third example. That is where I prefer a pulling motion from the lower left side.

I am glad that you are so good at everything you do. I wish I could say the same about myself. I am very happy that you are playing golf up to your potential.

I do bad at a lot of things too. And no matter how hard I try, I will not get better. I cannot draw, my wife is a natural, she has never had a lesson. My son is amazing, he can draw almost anything off the top of his head. I could take art lessons forever, I could read every tip out there, I would never be an artist. We all have strengths and weaknesses. Being really good at golf to a large extent is a gift you are born with, being able to mobilize your various mental and physical skills in an optimal manner. What many golf instructors, golf books, and DVDS propose is ridiculous. These impressive gains in distance and handicap, how many of us really experience thi?s. Yet, because we have the money, we keep on spending and spending. Because a lot of us think we can spend our way to success, in spite of all our shortcomings.

It takes a lot of guts to admit that one has been a fool and been suckered in by all these golf gurus and gadgets. And worrying about this muscle and this contraction and this exertion. I will put myself at the top of the list I am sure there are many fine instructors out there, but everywhere you look are these claims and more claims of more distance and lower scores, and it seldom happens. And we spend more and more, and do more Google searches to find the next gadget, and we spend more hours on youtube trying to find that elusive tip, and we end up back at ground zero. Golf is very interesting in the respect that really intelligent people can get suckered so easily. Smart people really being dumb, dumber than dumb, gullible to the point of almost being pathological You are looking at someone the top of that list. Not in 2016, I can promise you that!.

From what I saw in that video, I agree with him. But I am not a fan the right hip going backwards like demonstrated in the third example. That is where I prefer a pulling motion from the lower left side.

I think this illustrates a good point made by Mike. I saw on one page an illustration of transition of an incorrect pos. and a correct one and the incorrect one looks a bit like what GG and DD use as good samples.

Maybe Fortworth can comment on if he thinks either of those is accurate and what the whole GRF advocates think is correct.

BTW is it GRF or GFR. I can't even get that straight in my head.

Mizuno MP 37 s300 P-3

I think you're still "hooked." Why else would you be reading the instruction and academy forum on wrx.

Mizuno MP 37 s300 P-3

George does a lot of exaggerated drills, I don't think he or any of his students have his right buttock going back like that in a real swing.

Hammerboy, evidently you do not know many good ;players because pretty much all of the good players I know have worked with a good instructor. The OP is a solid +2 handicap and I am pretty sure he didn't get there through his setup and understanding which eye was dominant. I have spent quite a bit on lessons over the years and is the reason I am not a hack. Not sure what your handicap is, but there are many many players out there that have benefited from working with a quality instructor, not to mention nearly every single player on the PGA Tour, European Tour, Web.com,, LPGA Tour, and you name it have worked with a great instructor to help them to where they are, and it wasn't done with an alignment stick.

Sorry you have such a sad attitude, maybe that is why you aren't able to improve?

What a silly response.. I have a great attitude, enjoy the game more than ever, and have a great regular group every weekend. You come to peace with yourself fgolf wise, when you see your limitations,,and realize how many people are out there trying to reach into your wallet. Not saying all lessons are bad, they are good instructors out there. But we need to be realistic, and modify our expectations, and see cons for what they are. Otherwise, we are like a dog chasing its tail, we

never are at peace. Make 2016 the year of smelling the roses golf wise. Nothing more to say, your response is so ridiculous, will not waste the calories to type again. So have at it!

What a silly response.. I have a great attitude, enjoy the game more than ever, and have a great regular group every weekend. You come to peace with yourself fgolf wise, when you see your limitations,,and realize how many people are out there trying to reach into your wallet. Not saying all lessons are bad, they are good instructors out there. But we need to be realistic, and modify our expectations, and see cons for what they are. Otherwise, we are like a dog chasing its tail, we

never are at peace. Make 2016 the year of smelling the roses golf wise. Nothing more to say, your response is so ridiculous, will not waste the calories to type again. So have at it!

Awesome, so you said your piece now we won't have to listen to it again. This is a golf instruction forum where people talk about golf instruction, and you want to chime in that people that take lessons are just dumb and don't understand their limitations because you are the all knowing all wise one that knows of not a single player that ever improved. And then you want to call my response "ridiculous".

Do you have any idea how stupid that is? Golf forum, Instruction section, for people to talk about golf instruction, and you posted in it telling people their responses are ridiculous because they said they have improved and many others have as well.

You are one of the morons that think you are born a player. That is just a weak excuse because you are not good. And your basketball analogy is just as stupid. If you do not think Steph Curry spent coutnless hours perfecting his release and shot then you are delusional. That might be why it appears you can't shoot either?

Please, go troll somewhere else and let people who want to talk about golf instruction on a golf forum do so without "ridiculously" stupid posts from the ignorant and uniformed. Thanks

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

Hammer boy, can we please not derail this thread here. We are talking biomechanics here - something which is not everyone's cup of tea, which is completely fine. There are plenty other threads to vent off a bit if that's what you need right now.

Agree. You go to a topic about a specific teacher who wrote a book and that teacher is kind enough to come on and answer questions and hb is so immature he has to keep going on about how he can't understand terms used in the bookso it must be dumb and it's a rip off. Sadly he does this every couple months, pathetic really

Hammerboy, since you aren't even a good troll, accept that and quit posting. We need Cary back.

Mike, do you think the pulling with the left leg will produce the frisbee flexion? Or do the two usually need to be engrained separately?

Pulling the arm from the lower body definitely makes frisbee flexion easier. If the arms are swinging or pushing forward, flexion is very hard to accomplish. When the right arm straightens from high to low instead of swinging forward, it gives sufficient time for flexion. Arms pushing forward like classic lag drills offers not enough time.