2024 3M Open What's In The Bag Photos ×

Spring 2017 Cancun (OR CABO?) Mexico recommendations & agency?

retep

I recently took my first golf trip to Scottsdale and loved it.  I met two retired policemen at Wickenburg Ranch, and they asked about my next trip.  I told them I had thoughts of Cabo and out came an I-phone with photos from their golf trip there.  Really good dudes.  Anywho, they mentioned a few clubs I can't remember now, but they mentioned places that had resting stations or something similar every three/four holes.  They said they ate and drank at these stations and their round took eight hours because of all the food and drink and that fact that they were drunker than skunks.  Does anybody know which course/courses these guys were talking about?  I don't drink, but golf and tacos are two of my favorite things.    

LJ2106, I would love to hear about your trip when you get back.  Please post a review.  I've done very little research into a Cabo trip, but I Quivira is #1 on my list and I'd like to hear about the course and where one must stay to play there.  I do know Southwest flies directly to Cabo from Phoenix.  That works for me as Southwest is really good with golf bags.  They don't charge more for them despite their odd shape and allow up to 50 lbs.  

Edited by soregongolfer

• 3 weeks later...

Quivira Review - Date played: 9/25 | Tees: Gold

To play Quivira you must stay at properties affiliated with Pueblo Bonito resorts. I stayed at the Pueblo Bonito Pacifica, which is the adults only resort. When you check-in, the staff will send you to a person to set up any excursions or outings usually with a discount but one large caveat. They will ask you to attend what is essentially a timeshare pitch that last 2-3 hours. If you decide to attend this, ask for as many discounts as you're interested in. A couple we met there was able to get two rounds at Quivira and multiple spa sessions at significant deal. So if you have a couple hours to spare it may be worth it instead paying full price which was about $235-$250 while I was there. I did met two gentlemen who were playing staying elsewhere but playing Quivira by going to the sales pitch. Not sure how they set that up, though.

Onto the course/clubhouse/etc. Greens were recovering from punching but rolled pretty well, all considered.  Fairways are wide on the holes away from the ocean. Lots of room to miss. Plenty of blind shots to be played on the back 9 and few great risk/reward par 4s. There are a lot of elevation changes and when the wind kicks up some holes will play two-three difference. Hole #9 - Par 3 was big disappointment. The tee box was lost and was mostly sand, not something you expect at a high end course. The comfort stations were really nice with a good mix of food at each. No shortage of liquors, beers or gatorade. Hole #18 was a nice finishing hole approaching the Pacific Ocean and the clubhouse. Not sure if I would play this course again but would definitely recommend experiencing it at least once. This is a course you're at to enjoy the round, not shoot your lowest score.

There is quite a bit of construction around the course currently. Pueblo Bonito has partnered with St. Regis hotels and will soon see more properties near the course. The range was also under construction it seemed but you are greeted with a refreshment station before your round starts. The substitute area was moved closer the ocean so not terrible just not the normal targets for the range rats out there. The clubhouse is getting an additional beachfront bar which looks like it will be awesome place for a post round drink. 

Rancho San Lucas - Date played: 9/26 | Tees: Gold

Rancho San Lucas can be played by the public and guests of the Grand Solmar properties. Rancho San Lucas is about 25 minute drive from Pueblo Bonito. The drive into RSL is pretty spectacular. The drive winds through the native areas straight to the ocean. The clubhouse at RSL has good size footprint and makes for a nice introduction to the property. The greens were also recovering from being punched so everyone received a $20 gift certificate to the pro shop. After check-in at the pro shop there is a small kitchen area to grab food and drinks before the range or your round. The range and practice area is one of the best I've been to. Pretty neat custom touches with the range buckets, alignment sticks and tee holders (horseshoes). The course was in great condition. Wide fairways that touch right up to native areas. Experienced quite a few shots that rolled out into the native areas so playable others not so much. RSL has few blind shots and less elevation changes than Quivira but more than few uphill shots. RSL plays right along the beach and Pacific Ocean so much so that you could leave the cart and be one the beach easily. The course is fairly straight forward and plenty of gettable holes especially when the wind is in your favor. The food at the comfort stations was average when compared to Quivira, IMO. There are two stations on the course that you will loop around to each twice which have probably the best/cleanest on course restrooms I've ever seen. 

The area around RSL is also under going construction. There was work on the clubhouse to expand one of the dinning areas I believe. Out on the course there was lot of construction for condos and homes. I would play RSL again in the future but with many options in the Cabo area I would probably check those out first when I return. 

Quivira_#5.jpg

Quivira.jpg

Quivira_view.jpg

Quivira_tb.jpg

QuiviraUp.jpg

RSL_#17.jpg

RSL_beach.jpg

RSL_CH.jpg

Quivira_#9box.jpg

RSL_Range_2.jpg

Edited by LJ2106
image update
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Will be heading to Cabo next week. Booked a round at Club Campestre. How’s the golf at Campestre compared to Puerto Los Cabos? I’m still intrigued to play Puerto due to all the food and amenities that are included but price wise Campestre is a hundred dollar difference and I’m intending to enjoy the golf over the overall amenities. I only get one round so do I cough up the extra 100 or is Campestre going to fill that void of the amenities by the golf alone

thanks 

Driver: Nike Vapor Pro Driver

Woods: Nike Vapor Pro 3 Wood, Nike SQ Machspeed 7 Wood

Irons: Nike VR Pro Blades 4-9

Wedges: Miura 46º Nike VR Forged 52°, 56°, 60°

Putter: Nike Method Converge Counterflex B1-01

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond

hi Papi,

you said you intend to enjoy the golf over the amenities right?

I'm sure both are pretty good!

• Haha 1

Callaway Driver Ai Smoke

Callaway 3 Wood Ai Smoke

Callaway 5 Wood Ai Smoke

PXG Irons Gen 5 0311 XP  4 to PW

Titleist Vokey Wedges SM8 - 46* 52* & 56*
Scotty Cameron Moto - Super Select Squareback 2 

Vice ProPlus

Very true. Anyone play Vidanta Cabo lately? Any good? Seems like a good affordable option and amenities 

On 9/2/2022 at 10:56 AM, mikedejong33 said:

Agree with the above. We played Campestre and really liked it. Palmilla was good too, but I liked Campestre better. We also played the 9 hole Vidante course, it wasn't great. But Quivira, Dunes, El Cardonal are all good if you can get on.

I’m debating Campestre and Vidante. Any insight? Looking at twilight with rentals. I understand Vidante is a 9 and includes all you can eat/drink. 

On 2/2/2023 at 7:18 AM, DoubleBogeyPapi said:

I’m debating Campestre and Vidante. Any insight? Looking at twilight with rentals. I understand Vidante is a 9 and includes all you can eat/drink. 

I would say Campestre is the far superior golf course. We stayed on a house that backed onto the Vidanta 9 holer, and we played it once. It really was not great. Campestre is really good in my opinion.  

Driver: Ping G430 Max

Fairway: Ping G425 Max

Hybrid: Adams Pro Black

Irons (5 to U): Ping I525

Wedges (56, 60): Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth

Putter: Bettinardi BB5

On 2/6/2023 at 11:08 AM, mikedejong33 said:

I would say Campestre is the far superior golf course. We stayed on a house that backed onto the Vidanta 9 holer, and we played it once. It really was not great. Campestre is really good in my opinion.  

I played Campestre, not sure how I feel about it. Course was beautiful but the experience was s***. I had a twilight tee time 1:50 showed up at 1:15 to get settled/pay and hit some balls. Long story short I didn't tee up until 2:45. Nearly an hour after. Now I can understand teeing off a bit after your scheduled time because of it being backed up but we tee'd off an hour after due to there not being any carts available. Seriously... Carts? I usually play $50 dollar rounds in SoCal and carts are always available. My round at Campestre without rentals is $140, $205 with the rental clubs, how is a course who is making 600 dollars at a twilight tee time not able to have enough carts. We finally got carts and they we're rushing us onto the tee's because of the delay. The round was not enjoyable and already killed a lot of daylight. I heard about Cabo golf being this amazing one of a kind experience but honestly I'd never do it again. I should have just played Vidanata I could have saved the $50 dollars and got shitfaced/ate all the tacos I wanted but I wasted $200 on my round. I have contacted their customer service to see if I can get a refund or some sort of compensation because it was not worth the time or money. 

• 1 month later...

I guess it was just announced that the Tiger course at Diamante is getting a PGA tour event for the next five years. That will be fun to see, and our friends that have the place down there are super excited. With their package, they get unlimited rounds at El Cardonal, so having the tour event there will be great as they will likely put a ton of money back into that course and it should be awesome next time we are there. Booked for Feb 2024, so can't wait to see how it looks!

https://diamantecabosanlucas.com/the-experience/golf/wwtc/

On 3/30/2023 at 8:10 AM, mikedejong33 said:

I guess it was just announced that the Tiger course at Diamante is getting a PGA tour event for the next five years. That will be fun to see, and our friends that have the place down there are super excited. With their package, they get unlimited rounds at El Cardonal, so having the tour event there will be great as they will likely put a ton of money back into that course and it should be awesome next time we are there. Booked for Feb 2024, so can't wait to see how it looks!

https://diamantecabosanlucas.com/the-experience/golf/wwtc/

I played both courses and the Davis Love course is head and shoulders above the Tiger course.

5 minutes ago, Golferpaul said:

I played both courses and the Davis Love course is head and shoulders above the Tiger course.

Agreed. But the tournament will be played at Tigers course. I think the Dunes is too short maybe? It is far easier then the Tiger course in my opinion, but it is nicer.

4 hours ago, Golferpaul said:

Dunes: Par 72, 7300 yards.  Ranked #1 in Mexico

El Cardonal: Par 71, 7301 yards. 

I think we agree with each other. The Dunes is the better course. It is more fun to play, more beautiful, etc. But the PGA event has been announced for the Tiger course, and I am just hoping that they do pump some money into it to improve it. In my opinion, the Dunes is far easier. Yes its a better course, but I find El Cardonal quite a bit harder.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We are booked again for Feb 2024 at Diamante. 4 rounds at El Cardonal and 1 so far at the Dunes. I hope El Cardonal is nice after hosting the PGA tour event coming up next month, I assume they would put some money into it and it will be really nice. Can't wait, such an amazing trip!

22 hours ago, mikedejong33 said:

We are booked again for Feb 2024 at Diamante. 4 rounds at El Cardonal and 1 so far at the Dunes. I hope El Cardonal is nice after hosting the PGA tour event coming up next month, I assume they would put some money into it and it will be really nice. Can't wait, such an amazing trip!

Are you renting a house there?

13 minutes ago, Golferpaul said:

Are you renting a house there?

No, we have friends that are owners there. So we get to go every second February with them.

• 3 months later...

Just got back from Diamante, played 5 rounds (4 at El Cardonal and 1 at The Dunes). It was spectacular again!

We even got to play behind Tony Finau for two days, which was pretty cool. 

20240205_075139.jpg

20240204_071207.jpg

IMG-20240211-WA0063.jpg

IMG-20240211-WA0068.jpg

• Like 3