Spring 2017 Cancun (OR CABO?) Mexico recommendations & agency?

retep

I recently took my first golf trip to Scottsdale and loved it.  I met two retired policemen at Wickenburg Ranch, and they asked about my next trip.  I told them I had thoughts of Cabo and out came an I-phone with photos from their golf trip there.  Really good dudes.  Anywho, they mentioned a few clubs I can't remember now, but they mentioned places that had resting stations or something similar every three/four holes.  They said they ate and drank at these stations and their round took eight hours because of all the food and drink and that fact that they were drunker than skunks.  Does anybody know which course/courses these guys were talking about?  I don't drink, but golf and tacos are two of my favorite things.    

LJ2106, I would love to hear about your trip when you get back.  Please post a review.  I've done very little research into a Cabo trip, but I Quivira is #1 on my list and I'd like to hear about the course and where one must stay to play there.  I do know Southwest flies directly to Cabo from Phoenix.  That works for me as Southwest is really good with golf bags.  They don't charge more for them despite their odd shape and allow up to 50 lbs.  

Edited by soregongolfer

• 3 weeks later...

Quivira Review - Date played: 9/25 | Tees: Gold

To play Quivira you must stay at properties affiliated with Pueblo Bonito resorts. I stayed at the Pueblo Bonito Pacifica, which is the adults only resort. When you check-in, the staff will send you to a person to set up any excursions or outings usually with a discount but one large caveat. They will ask you to attend what is essentially a timeshare pitch that last 2-3 hours. If you decide to attend this, ask for as many discounts as you're interested in. A couple we met there was able to get two rounds at Quivira and multiple spa sessions at significant deal. So if you have a couple hours to spare it may be worth it instead paying full price which was about $235-$250 while I was there. I did met two gentlemen who were playing staying elsewhere but playing Quivira by going to the sales pitch. Not sure how they set that up, though.

Onto the course/clubhouse/etc. Greens were recovering from punching but rolled pretty well, all considered.  Fairways are wide on the holes away from the ocean. Lots of room to miss. Plenty of blind shots to be played on the back 9 and few great risk/reward par 4s. There are a lot of elevation changes and when the wind kicks up some holes will play two-three difference. Hole #9 - Par 3 was big disappointment. The tee box was lost and was mostly sand, not something you expect at a high end course. The comfort stations were really nice with a good mix of food at each. No shortage of liquors, beers or gatorade. Hole #18 was a nice finishing hole approaching the Pacific Ocean and the clubhouse. Not sure if I would play this course again but would definitely recommend experiencing it at least once. This is a course you're at to enjoy the round, not shoot your lowest score.

There is quite a bit of construction around the course currently. Pueblo Bonito has partnered with St. Regis hotels and will soon see more properties near the course. The range was also under construction it seemed but you are greeted with a refreshment station before your round starts. The substitute area was moved closer the ocean so not terrible just not the normal targets for the range rats out there. The clubhouse is getting an additional beachfront bar which looks like it will be awesome place for a post round drink. 

Rancho San Lucas - Date played: 9/26 | Tees: Gold

Rancho San Lucas can be played by the public and guests of the Grand Solmar properties. Rancho San Lucas is about 25 minute drive from Pueblo Bonito. The drive into RSL is pretty spectacular. The drive winds through the native areas straight to the ocean. The clubhouse at RSL has good size footprint and makes for a nice introduction to the property. The greens were also recovering from being punched so everyone received a $20 gift certificate to the pro shop. After check-in at the pro shop there is a small kitchen area to grab food and drinks before the range or your round. The range and practice area is one of the best I've been to. Pretty neat custom touches with the range buckets, alignment sticks and tee holders (horseshoes). The course was in great condition. Wide fairways that touch right up to native areas. Experienced quite a few shots that rolled out into the native areas so playable others not so much. RSL has few blind shots and less elevation changes than Quivira but more than few uphill shots. RSL plays right along the beach and Pacific Ocean so much so that you could leave the cart and be one the beach easily. The course is fairly straight forward and plenty of gettable holes especially when the wind is in your favor. The food at the comfort stations was average when compared to Quivira, IMO. There are two stations on the course that you will loop around to each twice which have probably the best/cleanest on course restrooms I've ever seen. 

The area around RSL is also under going construction. There was work on the clubhouse to expand one of the dinning areas I believe. Out on the course there was lot of construction for condos and homes. I would play RSL again in the future but with many options in the Cabo area I would probably check those out first when I return. 

Quivira_#5.jpg

Quivira.jpg

Quivira_view.jpg

Quivira_tb.jpg

QuiviraUp.jpg

RSL_#17.jpg

RSL_beach.jpg

RSL_CH.jpg

Quivira_#9box.jpg

RSL_Range_2.jpg

Edited by LJ2106
image update
  • Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.