GPS Golf Guru - Any thoughts on this?

The weather in Calgary finally allowed me to play a round of golf with my GolofGuru and I am very happy with this little piece of technology. As a greenfee player, I wanted it for the courses that I play less frequently. It frustrates me when I don't have the knowledge of the course to plan how I want to play a hole becuase I don't know the yardages to hazards. The Guru's pre-mapped course was not quite as complete as I would have liked, but it was way better than hitting blind off the tee. The course I played has some odd shapped large greens, so being able to use the green zense to adjust the pin position and know the carry and over distanaces was really helpful. I gives you confidence when you select a club and put a swing on it. I checked a number of the yardage markers and found most were bang on. A couple of greens are 3 to 5 yds. off on the front of green distances (I was standing on the front of the green, but Guru said I was 5 yds. away), but I also found a sprinkler head that was marked 97yds. that was only 80 yds. from center of the green. I know the sprinkler head was wrong because I paced to another sprinkler head that said 67yds. and the Guru said 67yds.

I found the Guru very easy to use, though I need to practice the marking feature. I use the statistice and though a little simple they are very easy to use. I fully enjoyed using the Guru and can't wait 'till I can edit a mapped course. Very happy with my purchase.

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The weather in Calgary finally allowed me to play a round of golf with my GolofGuru and I am very happy with this little piece of technology. As a greenfee player, I wanted it for the courses that I play less frequently. It frustrates me when I don't have the knowledge of the course to plan how I want to play a hole becuase I don't know the yardages to hazards. The Guru's pre-mapped course was not quite as complete as I would have liked, but it was way better than hitting blind off the tee. The course I played has some odd shapped large greens, so being able to use the green zense to adjust the pin position and know the carry and over distanaces was really helpful. I gives you confidence when you select a club and put a swing on it. I checked a number of the yardage markers and found most were bang on. A couple of greens are 3 to 5 yds. off on the front of green distances (I was standing on the front of the green, but Guru said I was 5 yds. away), but I also found a sprinkler head that was marked 97yds. that was only 80 yds. from center of the green. I know the sprinkler head was wrong because I paced to another sprinkler head that said 67yds. and the Guru said 67yds.

I found the Guru very easy to use, though I need to practice the marking feature. I use the statistice and though a little simple they are very easy to use. I fully enjoyed using the Guru and can't wait 'till I can edit a mapped course. Very happy with my purchase.

If the course you played wasn't marked completely, request them to map the course. More than likely it was an old course map that they originally bought with only greens mapped. There are four greens fees courses I play in my rotation that had only greens mapped... I requested them to map them to more detail and they were all mapped very well after 2 weeks.

If the course you played wasn't marked completely, request them to map the course. More than likely it was an old course map that they originally bought with only greens mapped. There are four greens fees courses I play in my rotation that had only greens mapped... I requested them to map them to more detail and they were all mapped very well after 2 weeks.

This was a course that I requested and it had pretty much all the major targets mapped (bunkers, water, roads). What I would like to add are things like some or certain 200yd. 150yd. markers (target barber poles) that on this course would not have been visible from the satellite images. Since the Guru measures true straight line to hole when you are on the tee of a severe dogleg, the distance from the tee to the 200/150/100yd. marker does not represent the hole distance minus the marker distance. I would also like to be able to add specific layup points (safe positions).

I was very happy with the mapping quality as it helped me to plan how I want to play a course I'm not familiar with, but to be able to add a specific target (personal layup position) to a premapped couse that I will likely play again will be about everything I could ask for from this unit. I did also notice that one or two holes were missing the FIR of the stats. But I'm sure that I can get that fixed. :man_in_love:

This was a course that I requested and it had pretty much all the major targets mapped (bunkers, water, roads). What I would like to add are things like some or certain 200yd. 150yd. markers (target barber poles) that on this course would not have been visible from the satellite images. Since the Guru measures true straight line to hole when you are on the tee of a severe dogleg, the distance from the tee to the 200/150/100yd. marker does not represent the hole distance minus the marker distance. I would also like to be able to add specific layup points (safe positions).

I was very happy with the mapping quality as it helped me to plan how I want to play a course I'm not familiar with, but to be able to add a specific target (personal layup position) to a premapped couse that I will likely play again will be about everything I could ask for from this unit. I did also notice that one or two holes were missing the FIR of the stats. But I'm sure that I can get that fixed. :man_in_love:

Oh, got it. I've had the same experience, especially on dog legs. I'm looking forward to the wide release of mapping downloadable courses to add lay up points/safe positions. Interested to see how straightforward it will be to use.

Hopefully I'm posting this correctly!

Should have my Guru this week. Thanks to those who posted here; gave me the confidence to select this product.

Three questions:

1. Do you find the "wall charger" a quicker charger that using USB? Would you recommend getting the wall charger?

2. I think moving the "pin" around on the green is pretty cool; however, how do you know where to move it to unless you go up to the green to see where it's at?

3. Do you recommend getting the invisible shield?

Thanks in advance and again for your previous posts.

Larry in So Cal

1) don't know - I use USB

2) I get pin sheet and then approximate flag based on sheet , or when no pin sheet & assuming I can see green, use flag tags to know if in front, back, etc. then approximate.

3) Yes, I like "shield" to prevent scratching on the screen, but must be careful putting on to rid bubbles.... If you are looking for belt clip, etc, then not what you want.

i've used my guru now for about 5 rounds and love it. other than the long name bug when trying to save a course, the only issues i've had are:

the screen scratches VERY easily...mine is pretty scuffed up already

the ink/paint on the buttons wears off pretty easily. all of the ink from the center 'joystick' is already gone from mine

great little device, even with the minor inconveniences.

1. Do you find the "wall charger" a quicker charger that using USB? Would you recommend getting the wall charger?

I selected the Wall Charger when I purchased my guru.

The wall charger is only a three-prong plug that has a USB port. You are supposed to use the cord that is used to plug the guru into your computer for both charging and downloading courses etc.

Does that make sense?

I believe that it will not charge the guru any faster, since the USB has limitations. Had I known this, I would have selected the car charger.

I selected the Wall Charger when I purchased my guru.

The wall charger is only a three-prong plug that has a USB port. You are supposed to use the cord that is used to plug the guru into your computer for both charging and downloading courses etc.

Does that make sense?

I believe that it will not charge the guru any faster, since the USB has limitations. Had I known this, I would have selected the car charger.

Hey gang... I have both chargers and I found the USB port on the computer to be most efficient and complete charge. When I use the wall charger I don't get as much time before needed another charge... have not used the car charger yet. I am never in the car long enough to use it.

snip....

the screen scratches VERY easily...mine is pretty scuffed up already

the ink/paint on the buttons wears off pretty easily. all of the ink from the center 'joystick' is already gone from mine

snip

ATTENTION: If you own a Golf Guru, you must use a screen protector to prevent scratches on the screen. Walmart sells a neat universal screen protector, made by Fellows, that works perfect. You can trim to exact dimension, apply to screen, and use the squeegee-card to get the bubbles out. I have had one on mine for almost four months and it is still in good shape. The package comes with five screens so they will last for a long time. You can also use the protector on cell phones and other devices.

I use the Palm Treo 600/700 Lambskin case with locking swivel clip to carry and protect my Guru. I cut the plastic cover off the case, put the universal screen protector on the Guru, and clip it to my pull cart. Works like a charm. One glance at the Guru and I have instant yardage...

Just like all the other satisfied Guru owners, I LOVE MY GURU!!

Hi - I have had a guru for about 2 months. Really like it, a couple of changes I would like to see (more stat capabilty) but all in all very impressed. I will say though that I have had the unit turn off on me during a round for no apparent reason. Still have battery life, and never pressed the off button. Has anyone seen anything like this? It is a little annoying if you are keeping score and then have to re-enter your data mid round.

Thanks,

Scott

I will say though that I have had the unit turn off on me during a round for no apparent reason. Still have battery life, and never pressed the off button. Has anyone seen anything like this?

Thanks,

Scott

Yep.....have played about 4 rounds with it so far. It shut off on me last week during a round for no reason. Not sure why. Battery was fully charged. Other than that little glitch, I really like the Guru.

JW

I will say though that I have had the unit turn off on me during a round for no apparent reason. Still have battery life, and never pressed the off button. Has anyone seen anything like this?

Thanks,

Scott

Yep.....have played about 4 rounds with it so far. It shut off on me last week during a round for no reason. Not sure why. Battery was fully charged. Other than that little glitch, I really like the Guru.

What software version does the Guru say you're running? Use to be a problem with version 1.09 with shutting down or locking up, but haven't seen it since version 1.11. It doesn't seem to be a problem with the 1.12 beta version either.

Thanks,

Scott

What software version does the Guru say you're running? Use to be a problem with version 1.09 with shutting down or locking up, but haven't seen it since version 1.11. It doesn't seem to be a problem with the 1.12 beta version either.

I'm runnning version 1.11. I actually didn't SEE it shut off. My buddy carried it over to his ball about 50 feet away to check his distance and when he got there he yelled over and said it had shut off. Now....its possible that HE shut it off but in order to shut it off, as you know, you have to hit the TWO BUTTON combination. He said he didnt hit any buttons. Just hard to believe he hit both buttons simultaneously to turn it off. I've only had it happen that one time.

JW

Just received my Guru today and haven't had a chance to get to the course yet (it's raining).

I loaded a few courses. When I pull up one of the courses and select PLAY, the first hole comes up -- so far so good. All it list is the green (near, center, far). It actually has the proper shape of the green -- NEAT !

Does this mean that they haven't mapped any of the traps, layups, targets, ect or won't they show up until I'm actually at the course ??

Just received my Guru today and haven't had a chance to get to the course yet (it's raining).

I loaded a few courses. When I pull up one of the courses and select PLAY, the first hole comes up -- so far so good. All it list is the green (near, center, far). It actually has the proper shape of the green -- NEAT !

Does this mean that they haven't mapped any of the traps, layups, targets, ect or won't they show up until I'm actually at the course ??

It could mean that they have not mapped hazards, layups, etc. More than likely you did not have enough satellite coverage. Look in the bottom left corner on the Guru and you will see some bars. You need to have at least two bars (better when you have 3). Turn your Guru back on and let it sit for a couple of minutes. Check the bars and then bring your course back up. If the hazards do not come up then you need to contact Guru through their "Course Request" tab on their website and ask them to remap your course with hazards.

Here's the reply I got from Golf Guru when I asked about the shut off glitch some of you have mentionrd here:

"Hi! Thank you for your interest in our product! We have shipped out thousands of Gurus and we have not heard any complaints after the release of our software version 1.11. Everything should be just fine. Below are some highlights of our product and service that you might like to obtain.

Membership is free!

Registration is free!

Course map requests are free!

Course downloads are free!

Software updates are free for 1 year or 3 years with extended warranty.

The Guru can hold 40 courses (20 downloaded and 20 self mapped courses.

Each customer has a username and password where they can login to our website and save 200 courses on.

You can edit already mapped downloaded courses.

You can measure in meters and yards.

There are 3 different distance view of the green, and you can move the flag around.

We are VERY accurate because we use WAAS.

It holds up to 30 targets per hole.

There is a show/hide option if you don’t want all the targets to be shown.

You can upload scores to USHandicap.com or upload them to your PC and view them there.

It is one of the lightest weight on the market, and is very durable. It can withstand a 4 foot drop, be run over with the golf cart and still be fine.

It is rain resistant!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. We are here to help!

Amanda

GPS Golf Guru Support

[email protected]"

I thought the same thing at first when I turned mine on at home. However, the first couple of holes on my course really don;t have any really significant features that needed to be marked (they could have marekd the 200, 150 and 100 yard markers, but that should really not be necessary on a par 4). On the course, starting about the 3rd hole, fairway bunkers, etc. started showing up on the unit.

Here's the reply I got from Golf Guru when I asked about the shut off glitch some of you have mentionrd here:

"Hi! Thank you for your interest in our product! We have shipped out thousands of Gurus and we have not heard any complaints after the release of our software version 1.11. Everything should be just fine. Below are some highlights of our product and service that you might like to obtain.

Membership is free!

Registration is free!

Course map requests are free!

Course downloads are free!

Software updates are free for 1 year or 3 years with extended warranty.

The Guru can hold 40 courses (20 downloaded and 20 self mapped courses.

Each customer has a username and password where they can login to our website and save 200 courses on.

You can edit already mapped downloaded courses.

You can measure in meters and yards.

There are 3 different distance view of the green, and you can move the flag around.

We are VERY accurate because we use WAAS.

It holds up to 30 targets per hole.

There is a show/hide option if you don’t want all the targets to be shown.

You can upload scores to USHandicap.com or upload them to your PC and view them there.

It is one of the lightest weight on the market, and is very durable. It can withstand a 4 foot drop, be run over with the golf cart and still be fine.

It is rain resistant!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. We are here to help!

Amanda

GPS Golf Guru Support

[email protected]"

Does this mean the newest version of the software, allowing for the editing of downlaoded courses has been officially released? I have not gotten an email notice to that effect.

It could mean that they have not mapped hazards, layups, etc. More than likely you did not have enough satellite coverage. Look in the bottom left corner on the Guru and you will see some bars. You need to have at least two bars (better when you have 3). Turn your Guru back on and let it sit for a couple of minutes. Check the bars and then bring your course back up. If the hazards do not come up then you need to contact Guru through their "Course Request" tab on their website and ask them to remap your course with hazards.

That worked -- thanks. The courses I play most are mapped w/all of the extras (traps, etc). Can't wait to use it ! Didn't even need to read the manual -- very easy to navigate right out of the box.

I think I'm just going to keep it in my pocket without worrying about a case or screen protector. As long as I don't have anything else in that pocket, shouldn't be an issue. It's small and very slim/light. Might even try it in my back pocket. Stay tuned ...

Guess I never really paid much attention before but the thing that kind of caught my eye in the email from Amanda at Golf Guru was Software Updates free for 1 year or 3 with extended warranty. I think I just thought that these updates would be free for the life of the unit if necessary?

Yea.....that caught my eye too. Where did that come from? Thats the first I've heard that there would be a charge for updates after a year. Don't remember seeing that anywhere on their website and I did a lot of research before purchasing this unit. They've been so "upfront" with everything, I hope this isn't a negative. Amanda.....care to elaborate?

JW

Guess I never really paid much attention before but the thing that kind of caught my eye in the email from Amanda at Golf Guru was Software Updates free for 1 year or 3 with extended warranty. I think I just thought that these updates would be free for the life of the unit if necessary?

Yea.....that caught my eye too. Where did that come from? Thats the first I've heard that there would be a charge for updates after a year. Don't remember seeing that anywhere on their website and I did a lot of research before purchasing this unit. They've been so "upfront" with everything, I hope this isn't a negative. Amanda.....care to elaborate?

JW

UPDATE!!!!!!!

This is concerning my reply from above about a "charge for software updates" after 1 year.

Below is an email I'd saved that I sent on April 11, '08 and the reply from "Amanda .... at Golf Guru Support". This was sent before I purchased The Guru and her response was one of the main reasons for purchasing this unit.

Your website says that there is no charge for course

downloads. My question....Is there any charge for anything....i.e.

membership....course downloads...etc after purchasing your GolfGuru?

Thanks

JW

Hi JW! Sorry for the confusion! There is no charge for annual membership

fee. In fact, membership is free, registration is free, and course requests

are free. Just the price of the Guru (which comes with a charger if you buy

it from our website)! Let us know if you have any other questions. We are

here to help!

Amanda

GPS Golf Guru Support

[email protected]

JW

UPDATE!!!!!!!

This is concerning my reply from above about a "charge for software updates" after 1 year.

Below is an email I'd saved that I sent on April 11, '08 and the reply from "Amanda .... at Golf Guru Support". This was sent before I purchased The Guru and her response was one of the main reasons for purchasing this unit.

Your website says that there is no charge for course

downloads. My question....Is there any charge for anything....i.e.

membership....course downloads...etc after purchasing your GolfGuru?

Thanks

JW

Hi JW! Sorry for the confusion! There is no charge for annual membership

fee. In fact, membership is free, registration is free, and course requests

are free. Just the price of the Guru (which comes with a charger if you buy

it from our website)! Let us know if you have any other questions. We are

here to help!

Amanda

GPS Golf Guru Support

[email protected]

I e-mailed Amanda and asked her to reply to this on this forum.

My problem is none of my courses are mapped and I would have to wait at least a week to use it? I don't have the time to map all the courses I play.

I just want to say how HAPPY i am that i bought a GolfGuru !!!!!!!!!!!!

I left it in my cargo pocket of my shorts, and my wife washed it. Yea you guessed it ... it no workie no more !!!! I called and spoke to Jess and he issued an RGA. He sent me an email the day he got it with the run down. It shorted the battery, and screwed up the back cover. He replaced both and sent it back at NO CHARGE !!!!

This is BIG TIME customer service !!!! Does anyone think that Sky or IGolf would have done the same thing ?? I think NOT !!!!! This really shows how much they value us as customers and stand behind their product.

GolfGuru...... you have my business for good, and everyone will know why !!!!!!