GPS Golf Guru - Any thoughts on this?

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had the same experience and frustration as phil75070. In response to puckcoach3 - isn't this the forum to discuss products - both good and bad. What is the benefit of responsive equipment if the information that it is operating with is unreliable. I assume their plan is to let users map courses with usefull detail, hence they really need to fix the software issues.

And they told me I was the only one "out of thousands" experiencing these problems. They have done two updates to the software, from 1.11 to 1.12 then to 1.14 and I thought they did those just for me! LOL Of course, neither has solved the problem.

I'm kinda with you about the ability for users to upload courses but not really. If you can request a course be mapped and it will be done within a week, why on earth would you want to spend 3 hours walking around a course mapping it yourself ?? It's nice to have some extra obstacles (trees, lay up spots, etc) but in reality, the obstacles they map (traps, water, etc) are sufficient for 99% of your round. I actually still carry my bushnell and if I may pull it out once/round to measure distance to a tree or a pin that it's not quite clear of where it's location is. In the end, golf is a game and if you have all of the answers, it's just not as fun ...

Just speaking for me, a lot of my rounds are not planned over a week in advance. It's based on where I can get a good tee time which may happen just a couple of days before I play. The folks at Golf Guru have been great at getting courses to me within a few days but I don't feel right always saying that I need it within a week. There are a lot of people that have been waiting many weeks for a course and jumping in front of them isn't right unless absolutely necessary. Now with that being said, if regular users who liked to map courses were out there doing this and they could be used by everybody, then that takes the pressure off the mappers and makes it so I can just find what I need without having to make a request. The one good thing about a Sky Caddie is the amount of courses and the detail but you pay $50 a year for that. Allowing user generated courses to be downloaded might close that gap.

You guys are funny. You make it sound like you can't play golf without your Guru. It's nice to have but by no means a necessity for every round. We all played plenty of golf simply "back in the day" using sprinkler heads and our eyes. Heck, I'm 46 and played plenty of golf without any markings on sprinkler heads. Remember the days with just a 150 marker (maybe even a rock or something benign looking) ?? I wish golf scores have dropped in proportion to the amount of technology available to us. Geeesh, with all of the Sky Caddies, range finders, etc out there, I wish round times would drop, even a little bit ...

:)

I'll echo what Phil said in a reply post.....

Played as a 2-some:

I shot 83 - partner shot 99 - played in 3.5 hours due to not having to look for sprinklers & walking off yardages.

Played alone:

Shot 86 - walked in 2.75 hours.

I believe any GPS unit saves time because (1) never having to look/pace off yardages, and (2) the display is virtually instantaneous with the unit. It's (a) look at the display, (b) select a club, © look at the target, and (d) pull the trigger.

I can play without my GPS, but I've played with/without a GPS and I'd get another unit in a heartbeat (actually just bought another one last night). I've been on too many courses that had had incorrect sprinkler heads due to greens being relocated or no distances at all. To the players I know, 5-10 yards does make a difference between dancing on the green or hacking out of the rough.

I'm kinda with you about the ability for users to upload courses but not really. If you can request a course be mapped and it will be done within a week, why on earth would you want to spend 3 hours walking around a course mapping it yourself ?? It's nice to have some extra obstacles (trees, lay up spots, etc) but in reality, the obstacles they map (traps, water, etc) are sufficient for 99% of your round. I actually still carry my bushnell and if I may pull it out once/round to measure distance to a tree or a pin that it's not quite clear of where it's location is. In the end, golf is a game and if you have all of the answers, it's just not as fun ...

Just speaking for me, a lot of my rounds are not planned over a week in advance. It's based on where I can get a good tee time which may happen just a couple of days before I play. The folks at Golf Guru have been great at getting courses to me within a few days but I don't feel right always saying that I need it within a week. There are a lot of people that have been waiting many weeks for a course and jumping in front of them isn't right unless absolutely necessary. Now with that being said, if regular users who liked to map courses were out there doing this and they could be used by everybody, then that takes the pressure off the mappers and makes it so I can just find what I need without having to make a request. The one good thing about a Sky Caddie is the amount of courses and the detail but you pay $50 a year for that. Allowing user generated courses to be downloaded might close that gap.

You guys are funny. You make it sound like you can't play golf without your Guru. It's nice to have but by no means a necessity for every round. We all played plenty of golf simply "back in the day" using sprinkler heads and our eyes. Heck, I'm 46 and played plenty of golf without any markings on sprinkler heads. Remember the days with just a 150 marker (maybe even a rock or something benign looking) ?? I wish golf scores have dropped in proportion to the amount of technology available to us. Geeesh, with all of the Sky Caddies, range finders, etc out there, I wish round times would drop, even a little bit ...

:)

I'll echo what Phil said in a reply post.....

Played as a 2-some:

I shot 83 - partner shot 99 - played in 3.5 hours due to not having to look for sprinklers & walking off yardages.

Played alone:

Shot 86 - walked in 2.75 hours.

I believe any GPS unit saves time because (1) never having to look/pace off yardages, and (2) the display is virtually instantaneous with the unit. It's (a) look at the display, (b) select a club, © look at the target, and (d) pull the trigger.

I can play without my GPS, but I've played with/without a GPS and I'd get another unit in a heartbeat (actually just bought another one last night). I've been on too many courses that had had incorrect sprinkler heads due to greens being relocated or no distances at all. To the players I know, 5-10 yards does make a difference between dancing on the green or hacking out of the rough.

My point wasn't that having a GPS device isn't advantageous (it has obvious advantages -- hence, I use my Guru all the time). My point was that I don't think it's necessary to have stuff outside of traps/water/greens mapped (self-mapping stuff). You'll spend too much time looking at all of the extra info on your Guru and not enough time enjoying the fact that you're out of the house playing golf.

On some holes, the Guru will spit out something like the following:

• 175 yards to 1st trap on right
  • 190 yards to clr 1st trap on right
  • 210 yds to 1st trap on left
  • 230 yds to clr 1st trap on left
  • 265 yds to 2nd trap on right

Granted, all of the above info is useful but if I need to scroll down/up on the Guru screen, it takes alot of time to process this info. The more time I'm looking at my Guru screen, the less time I'm enjoying playing golf. I'm always playing a game of some kind with those that I play with and I love to take their money but in the end, I love to be outdoors playing golf and away from too much thought. Some rounds I prefer to leave the Guru in the car and use my rangefinder -- it's just simpler. When I play my home course, I usually only refer to the Guru for approach shots. I already know what club to hit off the tee or whether or not I can clear the hazard with an iron, etc. I don't need the Guru to tell me all those yardages (one of the reasons I don't understand why you guys are so determined to self-map your home courses). When I play somewhere new or a course I rarely play, the Guru is a winner.

Anyways, I'm not going to debate you all on the merits of the self-mapping feature. If you like it and don't mind trudging around the course adding points, have at it. For me, I think the info included in the Guru mapped courses is sufficient and allows me to play quicker and more accurate. Maybe some day, I'll download one of your self-mapped courses and be amazed at how much better it is but until then, I'm not going to worry about it ...

i love my guru, but none of the 15 courses that i've downloaded to date have anything more than the greens mapped.

i'm looking forward to the self-mapping and user-uploadable features, because ill be able to add features to those courses. i could request that they add them as well, and may do that...but i appreciate the ability to do it myself.

" i love my guru, but none of the 15 courses that i've downloaded to date have anything more than the greens mapped."

I don't like the sound of this, and I hope it is not a trend, but I am beginning to be a little concerned. I just bought the device and none of the courses I play are in it. A week ago I sent in my requests and none have yet been mapped - I would actually be happy to have even the greens mapped. The device is useless to me as is because I cannot get on these courses (other than to play them) to map them myself, as play is pretty much from early morning right through to the end of the day at this time of the year. Unless they will map my courses, I might as well not have the device...

I don't like the sound of this, and I hope it is not a trend, but I am beginning to be a little concerned. I just bought the device and none of the courses I play are in it.

Yeah, me neither. I just purchased one and should get it tomorrow. If just the green are mapped and no hazards, carry distances, etc. it's somewhat useless to me. I moved to a new location and would like this info for courses I haven't played yet.

Has anyone tried to return their Guru yet?? I supposed that if my satisfaction isn't met, I can return it or dispute the charge thru my credit card company. Comments??

I don't like the sound of this, and I hope it is not a trend, but I am beginning to be a little concerned. I just bought the device and none of the courses I play are in it.

Yeah, me neither. I just purchased one and should get it tomorrow. If just the green are mapped and no hazards, carry distances, etc. it's somewhat useless to me. I moved to a new location and would like this info for courses I haven't played yet.

Has anyone tried to return their Guru yet?? I supposed that if my satisfaction isn't met, I can return it or dispute the charge thru my credit card company. Comments??

I had so many problems with mine that the President of the company emailed me several times with apologies. I gave it one last try but the last straw was trying to map a course again, from scratch, using the latest version of the software only to have it fail again (mapped all 18 but only 6 holes would show up in "play mode").

All of the courses (5 in 3 weeks) that I have played since getting the Guru had everything mapped (greens/traps/water). If they don't have everything mapped for your courses, request that they remap it. The longest it's taken for a request of mine was about 10 days.

I wish that you could tell when downloading how extensive the mapping is -- kinda an adventure when turning it on at the course. One other suggestion is to turn the unit on as soon as you arrive at the course. This allows it it lock on to as many sats as possible and for some reason, more obstacles show up when playing. Not sure why. Great product though -- enjoy yours !

I bought the Guru in mid April and had them map my home course right away. I got it back within a week. Right away I noticed the greens were off - shape didn't match the actual green - and yardages were off by 3 to 5 yards for approach shots. Not huge for my skill level but I was expecting it to be right on based on what I had read.

I went back to them regarding the mapping and I was told twice that the mapping is correct. I don't get that because I am standing directly in front of a green and it definately isn't the same shape I am looking at on the Guru.

I have asked two people (Amanda & John) what their return policy is and have rec'd no answer, although they have answered other questions in the same email.

I'll be interested to hear what Phil finds out on the return option.

One last comment - because they are mapping from satelite images the courses you want may not be available. For me - located in central Canada - 6 of 8 courses I want mapped don't have clear enough images to map a course. I should have done done better research before buying and went with a unit that had all my courses mapped.

Right away I noticed the greens were off - shape didn't match the actual green - and yardages were off by 3 to 5 yards for approach shots. Not huge for my skill level but I was expecting it to be right on based on what I had read.

I went back to them regarding the mapping and I was told twice that the mapping is correct. I don't get that because I am standing directly in front of a green and it definately isn't the same shape I am looking at on the Guru.

That is the very reason the the mapping feature is so important to me! Hey, I don't care if they are off on a course aI play once or once in a great while, but I certainly want the course I play 90% of my rounds on to be as accurate as possible.

Not a "peep" from anyone at Golf Guru, yet, on my request to return the unit.

Right away I noticed the greens were off - shape didn't match the actual green - and yardages were off by 3 to 5 yards for approach shots. Not huge for my skill level but I was expecting it to be right on based on what I had read.

That is the very reason the the mapping feature is so important to me! Hey, I don't care if they are off on a course aI play once or once in a great while, but I certainly want the course I play 90% of my rounds on to be as accurate as possible.

Not a "peep" from anyone at Golf Guru, yet, on my request to return the unit.

Skip the email and call them. 1-866-654-GURU (4878)

I'm still extremely satisfied with my Guru. Yes, I lost a self mapped course and driving range with the software upgrade that I'm not to happy about but I have been through many of my own software upgrades and all of them have some sort of glitch. I still have the same course that they mapped for me and now that I can add targets to it, it is not that big of a deal (though I still want my self map back and the driving range) . I'm certainly not going to go out and buy a new system when I have been happy with the operation of this one.

I think that the ultimate answer on mapping is to map courses yourself. I don't know how a satellite photo can take the place of walking the course, thinking about how it should be played and where the problems are, and entering the points ones self. And this is what I will eventually do for the courses that I play routinely. My near-term concern, though, is that I depend on their mappings to get me through the crowded part of the season until I can walk the course and do it myself. I have not given them quite enough time to some of my mappings done, so I will patiently wait and be concerned as I read some of these posts.

I also think that ultimate success in the world of golf gps units may lie more in a world-class library of mapped courses than in unique features of the hardware. If I were going into this business, I would have a proprietary course mapping format, I would make it very easy for my customers to map a course with great accuracy and completeness, and I would provide a reward of some type for them uploading and sharing high quality mappings. I would allow as many customer-mapped versions of any given course as people wanted to turn in, and I would provide an Amazon-type rating system so that users could provide feedback. I think that a company that had a reputation for the highest quality mapped courses would see a lot of hardware sales success. Seems to me that Golf Guru has just about all elements in place to make this type of structure happen...

Seems to me that Golf Guru has just about all elements in place to make this type of structure happen...

I agree, and am willing to give them time to put that structure in place.

In the meantime, my maps are great (greens only at first, made a few requests, and 2 weeks later all 3 courses were fully mapped), the unit works beautifully, and the price is nice. 100% satisfied customer.

Phil0507 - it looks like the Golf Guru just isn't working for you. Maybe down the road if everything they are tyring to make happen ends up working, you can try them out again. In the meantime, why put yourself through anymore frustration? Stop self mapping and call them to get your money back!

Phil0507 - it looks like the Golf Guru just isn't working for you. Maybe down the road if everything they are tyring to make happen ends up working, you can try them out again. In the meantime, why put yourself through anymore frustration? Stop self mapping and call them to get your money back!

Unfortunately, you are right and maybe in the end they will get all of their software and mapping problems fixed. I have been emailing back and forth with the president of the company. I last emailed him two days ago and have not heard back, but giving him the benefit of the doubt, perhaps he is traveling, on vacation or has more important things to do. So tonight I forwarded the email trail to their customer service people requesting a return authorization. If I don't hear from them by the end of the weekend I will call on Monday.

In the meantime, yesterday I renewed my SkyCaddie subscription on my trusty SG2 and will sit on the sidelines for the next 9-12 months to see how things shake out in the golf GPS market. The top "contenders", as I see them right now, are SkyGolf (SG2.5 or 5), Golf Buddy (Pro or Tour), Golf Guru, perhaps Sonocaddie (V300) and uPro. By then, any "shakeout" problems should be resolved, all features enabled, course libraries should be extensive enough for decent comparison and there should be enough user experiences with all of them to make an informed decision.

The top "contenders", as I see them right now, are SkyGolf (SG2.5 or 5), Golf Buddy (Pro or Tour), Golf Guru, perhaps Sonocaddie (V300) and uPro. By then, any "shakeout" problems should be resolved, all features enabled, course libraries should be extensive enough for decent comparison and there should be enough user experiences with all of them to make an informed decision.

You think the market will stand still for 9-12 months so that everything can shake out and we can make decent comparisons? Good luck on that thought. The actual situation is more likely to be that there will be more options and more confusion. This market is in its high innovation period.

I have been advised by e-mail by Amanda at GolfGuru that they offer a 30 day money back guarantee. You should contact them for an RMA number.

I recently purchased a GolfGuru unit based on the first few pages of this thread, and another thread comparing the various units. After reading the more recent pages of this thread, and taking stock of what I am looking for in a unit, I almost certainly will be returning the GolfGuru unit and purchasing a SkyCaddie 2.5.

What I want is distance to hazards and a green sensing feature for those (rare) times I am not in the middle of the fairway. Mac compatibility would be a plus. I do not care in the least about self-mapping features, don't care really about scorekeeping features. I don't really mind a reasonable annual subscription fee (which I consider $50/year to be). The only downside for what I want to the 2.5 seems to be the question about satellite capture and signal strength, certainly a plus for the GolfGuru.

From what I am seeing from the comments here my concerns about the GolfGuru are the thoroughness of the mapping capabilities, especially for hazards and the like. All of the courses in the two state area I play in are 4 star mapped on SkyCaddie. Several are not mapped yet on GolfGuru, and I will have to see if the ones that are mapped are fully mapped with hazards.

I'm going to try out the GolfGuru but I will have to be awfully Wowed to keep it.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

I have been advised by e-mail by Amanda at GolfGuru that they offer a 30 day money back guarantee. You should contact them for an RMA number.

I recently purchased a GolfGuru unit based on the first few pages of this thread, and another thread comparing the various units. After reading the more recent pages of this thread, and taking stock of what I am looking for in a unit, I almost certainly will be returning the GolfGuru unit and purchasing a SkyCaddie 2.5.

What I want is distance to hazards and a green sensing feature for those (rare) times I am not in the middle of the fairway. Mac compatibility would be a plus. I do not care in the least about self-mapping features, don't care really about scorekeeping features. I don't really mind a reasonable annual subscription fee (which I consider $50/year to be). The only downside for what I want to the 2.5 seems to be the question about satellite capture and signal strength, certainly a plus for the GolfGuru.

From what I am seeing from the comments here my concerns about the GolfGuru are the thoroughness of the mapping capabilities, especially for hazards and the like. All of the courses in the two state area I play in are 4 star mapped on SkyCaddie. Several are not mapped yet on GolfGuru, and I will have to see if the ones that are mapped are fully mapped with hazards.

I'm going to try out the GolfGuru but I will have to be awfully Wowed to keep it.

I can only speak for my experience w/the Guru which so far has been great. Signal is always strong whether in my pocket, on my bag or in the cart. I even pick up a signal in my basement. I've had mine for a few weeks and used it on 5 courses so far. All of the distances have been very accurate as I keep my rangefinder in my bag. I am probably a similar user to you as I don't care about the self mapping feature. I've also requested them to map 4 courses that weren't previously in their database and they did all of those w/a max turnaround of 10 days.

I've found the courses that I've played with the Guru to be plenty complete w/all of the traps mapped as well as water, end of fairways, etc. I've noticed a couple green orientation issues that others have complained about but I'm not as concerned as they are. Short of the uPro or maybe the new Sonnocaddie (both are vaporware as far as I'm concerned), I'm not sure about the WOW factor of any of them. They are tools to help your game and I think they accomplish that quite well. It's like spending $300 on a new Scotty Cameron putter -- look great and putt great but often a $100 Odyssey can do the job just as well. The Guru gets the job done for a reasonable price w/no subscription fees. What else do you need ??

Have fun w/yours ;)

Puckcoach, I wish my experience with the Guru were as positive as yours. I really liked it when I first got it but immediately noticed that the shape of the greens on my home course were off (outdated aerial/satellite photos would be my guess) but I had no problem mapping the course with that original version of the software. It was when they upgraded the software to add features that my unit got screwed up (my self-mapped course was corrupted and useless). Also, I asked them to map a course, which they did in about 10 days, but only six holes show up when you go to "play" it. They have never fixed that despite it being brought to their attention well over two months ago.

If all the courses you play are accurate, if they all display all 18 holes and mapping of a course or adding any targets are not of interest, then it is a great unit! I really liked the size, the GPS sensitivity which allowed it to synch with multiple satellites extremely quickly, the number of satellites it ultimately acquires, the fact that it is WAAS enabled, all leading to what I perceived as the most accurate unit (GPS speaking) out there. Add to that no subscription fee and it certainly has the potential to be a winner. It could use a backlight or way to adjust the contrast but those are just minor inconveniences.

Well, I thought I would be sending the Guru back because it didn't have enough detail, especially hazards. I've found a new reason - I can't get the device to work.

I tried installing the software on 5 different computers - 2 Dell laptops running XP, one IBM laptop running XP, one desktop running XP, and just for good measure a Mac. Every time I tried to start the software, I get the same message: "No device detected".

I contacted GolfGuru and received a prompt response from Amanda (I think GolfGuru has one employee: Amanda). She suggested turning off my Firewall. So I did. Same result. Plus, when I placed the CD they sent in the CD drive, it contained no program software, only PDF and JPEG files?!

I have advised Amanda that I meant to purchase a simple to use and functioning GPS unit, not a new hobby or project. I have requested a return authorization number.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

Add one huge fan to the Guru list.

I got my Guru, registered and downloaded all of my courses within minutes. Every course that I play consistently (10-15) is mapped in detail and a few one-offs that I play I can give them enough notice. I would say that this unit is great for someone that lives in a major metro area where most good courses have likely been fully mapped. The unit is easy to use and I love the the size/shape/weight. It's got everything that I need right now and without the fees, I'm happy to provide feedback hoping to watch them grow.

If they can ever create the functionality to let me map my courses myself over satellite, I'd be in heaven.

Great value, I'm happy so far.

Just curious.....On everyone's mapped courses that you download from the Guru website, are you finding variations between what the Guru says the yardage is while playing the course verses the actual markers on the course....i.e. 100 yard, 150 yard markers.

If you're finding differences, how much difference.....5, 10, 15 yards?

JW

Just curious.....On everyone's mapped courses that you download from the Guru website, are you finding variations between what the Guru says the yardage is while playing the course verses the actual markers on the course....i.e. 100 yard, 150 yard markers.

If you're finding differences, how much difference.....5, 10, 15 yards?

JW

I haven't noticed any difference because frankly, I don't pay any attention to 150 markers. Depending on how old your course is or when they originally placed those markers, it may have been pre-range finder and I'm not sure how they did it before then. I have this picture in my mind that they had some maintenance guys pacing off 100, 150, etc and throwing a big rock down on the side of the fairway. To think that's how we played for many years -- kinda funny actually.

As far as Phil goes, I kinda wish that they'd either fix your problems or that you'd just go away. You clearly are an outlyer to the experiences that most of us have but you make way more noise than anyone. Frankly, you really bring down the morale of the general Guru public which is kinda ironic because you used to be the biggest cheerleader for their product. They clearly read this board so I'm kinda mystified that they don't take care of you so that you stop making negative noise. Not very saavy from a biz perspective for a new company to be that slow. If you were one of my customers and I couldn't fix your problems, I'd quickly refund your $$$ and hope that you'd go faaaar away. Anyway, sorry Phil -- I'm sure you're a great guy and I feel for you but I'm also tired of your complaining.

As far as DrScheetve, you must not be doing something pretty fundamental correctly (like maybe attaching the Guru through the USB Port). Trying it on 5 computers is above and beyond the call of duty. I'm surprised that Amanda couldn't get you going. It's been a few weeks since I installed the Guru Utility but I do remember that I didn't do it from the CD. I think you download something from their website, run it and then run the Guru Utility. It tells you when to attach the Guru through your USB port to the computer. Frankly, I remember being astounded that it worked as simply as it did. I actually think I had to redo it when they went to v1.14 (not sure about that because I think I started with v1.12).

This is pretty typical of most blogs -- the negative people make lots of noise while those that are satisfied are out enjoying their product and have no need to read the blogs. I usually read the blogs for a few weeks to validate my purchase and then go away and maybe occasionally check in to see if there's a new software version or something else creating a buzz. The only reason I'm still hanging around is because I think it's a great product and I don't want to see it derailed by "the few". I'd love to see the Guru community gain momentum and create some of the reality where users upload their courses and receive feedback ratings like Amazon, etc. That would really cement the future of this product, future versions and the company.

Maybe this is a stupid Question but how do you get your Personal Statement to show up at the bottom of your posts (what's in your bag, etc) ?? I have input that stuff into my profile/settings but it doesn't appear on any of my posts. Any ideas ??