GPS Golf Guru - Any thoughts on this?

As mentioned previously, my course has outlawed measurement devices, so my guru is now up for sale. I had absolutely no problem with the self mapping, vs the issues many seem to have experienced here with pre-mapped courses, although it sounds like it is getting better.

I had to sneak out the guru and map greens, targets, etc. then put it all together into my own yardage book. Took awhile, and I'd rather carry the guru with me when I play, but the powers that be say otherwise.

Anyway, my loss is your gain. PM me if interested.

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Comments to afourletterword:

I started out walking real slow, too. Now I walk at a more normal pace. Slower means more points means which is theoretically more accurate, but in practice my greens are really accurate when I walk at a normal pace.

I cannot answer your insert question at this point. I will have to try messing with it. It's a good question.

Today I played the first course that I had mapped by myself. I had to-remap several greens while I played today because I had them in the wrong orientation (hadn't yet learned to start mapping where the middle of the fairway intersects the green). Once you get the hang of how to modify or add mapping points while playing, it is really fast to do this.

The accuracy of this device and stability of the readings are so much better than my old iGolf that it is unbelievable. I walk up to a green that I have previously mapped, and the distance to the front goes to zero every single time when I get to the front edge. Not "1", not "2". Zero! Unbelievable accuracy/repeatibility! And the readings to do not drift like they did on the iGolf. I attribute this to the WAAF-on capability, which would not work well on the iGolf (gave stable but unrepeatable readings).

The more I use this device, the more convinced I am that its future is in the hands of people who will map their own courses and turn the courses over to Golf Guru to share with the community. If you self-map a course, and make sure you have three bars of signal strength when you are doing your mapping, the accuracy of this device is just unreal. The way I get a consistent three bars of signal is to put the device in the drinkholder of my Sun Mountain cart and not in my pocket. The Guru people have set up the device so it is so easy and efficient to map a course that you can literally do it while you play and not slow down play. Why would I even *want* a pre-mapped golf course when I can map a course in one round of play, while I am playing, and forever after have superior accuracy to anything that the Guru people can do with a satellite imagery or that any other company can give me with any other product on the market?!

Since this is my first experience with any GPS, I have to trust that the accuracy is there. I will say that I was enamoured by the sonocaddie v300 and the sc5 and the uPro, for their color screens and 3D and all that stuff, and I literally went back and forth between all three, convinced that each of them was the right one for me.

It wasn't until I read through this thread (and all the feedback on this forum), that I finally came to the conclusion that what I really wanted was accurate, repeatable readings. So the short story is, you guys convinced me to choose the guru, based on its technical merits and customer support. And I thank all of you for all of the great info on this forum. Would I like to have color and 3D? Sure, I think anyone would. But when you get right down to it, what I really want is a better game, and I believe the guru will help me get there.

Since I don't have extended hands on experience with the guru, I can't attest to its accuracy and repeatability. And mapping my own courses sounds good on paper, but I'm not comfortable enough with this thing to want to override the pre-mapped courses they are providing. I would rather that golfguru provide better documentation on exactly what is going on inside the unit when I'm mapping, re-mapping, saving, uploading, downloading, synching, all that stuff. Then I think I can take the bigger step of creating my own courses.

By the way, I rarely play the same course twice in the same year (other than one or two courses which I play more often), so mapping every course myself would be more tedious.

And right now, I'm testing out GolfGuru's customer support with a problem in mapping that one course I did this past weekend. I mapped all 18 holes and saved everything, but only 13 showed up on the unit this morning when I powered it back on. I can't emphasize strongly enough how responsive their support is! I just hope they can resolve the issue.

I have been using my GURU for a number of weeks. I love it! I had mapped the course that I play the most but lost it when one of the software updates came along. It was not too difficult to do & the results were good except for the yardage on a par 3... my mapping was out-to-lunch. I was going to re-map it but lost the mapping. I asked GURU to map my course & the results were fantastic. I have not added any points to their maps as yet. I have not found any more spots that I need. GURU has mapped all of my requested courses including one in the mountains that I even had trouble finding on GOOGLE Maps & I know where to look! I use a treo case to carry it. I cut the clear plastic on the case across the middle & up the 2 sides. This creates a flap that can be lifted if I need access to the little joy-stick. Most of the time, I push the buttons thru the plastic flap.The bottom half covers the screen & protects it. I attach my GURU to my push cart using an old velcro watch strap thru the belt clip of the case. It wraps around the handle & allows me to see the screen at all times. I can just unclip it if I need to take it with me. I usually leave the clip part attached to the cart when I need to take the GURU inside to update. Customer support has been fantastic!

Here's a positive experience with my Guru that proves that the best GPS is not necessarily the one with all the bells and whistles but the one that is easy to carry and easy to use.

I played today with a buddy that has a SkyCaddie 2.5 (in terms of bells and whistles, pretty similar to the Guru). My buddy keeps his SC in his cart most of the time and pulls it out for approach shots, etc. Sometimes, especially on par 3's, he'll bring it to the tee w/him. Never did he put it in his pocket (not sure if this was because it's a little to big/heavy or whatever) or wear it on his belt (it has a round clip on the back). Twice, he set it down on the ground while hitting on par 3's and both times he forgot it there and had to go back when we were on the next hole. Also, many times when we were teeing off on a par 4 or par 5, he left his SC in his cart and asked me yardage info regarding hazards, etc.

I always keep my Guru in my back pocket and pull it out whenever I need it. I always put it back in my back pocket when I don't. So what's my point here ?? The Guru's size allows it to be used more often. I don't think color screens, etc are worth a hill of beans if you aren't going to have it when and if you want it or if it's going to be uncomfortable clipping it to your belt or putting in your pocket. Sure, the Guru has mapping issues with some courses and the course library needs to get bigger/better but when you are using one of these things effectively, you're getting the most return for your investment.

As mentioned previously, my course has outlawed measurement devices, so my guru is now up for sale. I had absolutely no problem with the self mapping, vs the issues many seem to have experienced here with pre-mapped courses, although it sounds like it is getting better.

I had to sneak out the guru and map greens, targets, etc. then put it all together into my own yardage book. Took awhile, and I'd rather carry the guru with me when I play, but the powers that be say otherwise.

Anyway, my loss is your gain. PM me if interested.

Incredible... I would drop that course. There are plenty of other courses that have no such restrictions.

For AFourLetterWord:

I have a question for you experts: since I pre-entered my targets at this course, I was able to simply walk to the target and press the Mark button to record its location. However, each target is numbered as first target, second target, third target, etc. While out on the course, if I find a target that I forgot and its located between the second and third target, how do I 'insert' the target? I only saw options for adding targets, not for 'inserting' a target. I assume that any new targets would end up being a fourth target and show up out of order - is this correct or how do I do this?

You should be able to add a new target at anytime. The target number does not matter it's just counting the #'er of targets. They will display based on the distance from the unit (far to near).

Actually you need to enter the hole you start at (usually 1 or 10 or a shotgun start) so it can select the right green. Be sure your new unit is set for yards and not meters. This caused me a problem discussed on another thread in Golfwrx. A local course remeasured their distances by laser, and the Guru agreement was excellent. A few minor differences probably caused by mapping artifacts or the position of the laser reflector. For instance, where is the center of an irregularly shaped green?. How is it determined remotely vs standing at it. Can the remote sensing determine the putting surface from fringes?

Received my Guru a few weeks back but was unable to use it until a few days ago due to wx and vacation. I did however have a chance to map a par three course in the rain holding an umbrella in one hand and the Guru in the other. It was easy and accurate since the yardage matched up with the posted yardage at the tee box. I then had a chance to play a downloaded course that I have played before and previously shot in the low 90's. Maybe it was just my day but I shot an 82 using the Guru. No guessing as to the yardage and confident that if I hit the selected club, I would make a good shot. I guess that any GPS would have provided me with the yardage but knowing that the accuracy of the Guru was second to none; I would not have to pay an annual fee to get future courses; the initial cost was reasonable; the support of their CS is outstanding; the courses available for download are growing; all have convinced me that for once I have made the correct decision. Now I need a device to correct the left/right error in my shots...LOL.

One comment I have about the unit was that the screen is on the "bottom". It took some getting use to since other similar electronic devices have the screen on the top, I instinctively would hold it upside down. However, I found a solution to this problem, I had purchased a "Body Glove" case for the Guru. I wear the case on my right hip slightly to the back. When I put the Guru back into the case, I put it back in the easiest way possible...upside down and facing the front. When I pull it out of the case, it is in the proper orientation.

I stand corrected about being able to enter the starting hole. I down loaded True Blue in SC, a Mike Stranz course where info would be useful for first time play. The Guru download was totally incomplete (holes 1-3 onl;y) so starting on 10 rendered the Guru useless. Of the 4 courses I have played, only one seemed accurate- 2 others had mapping errors that i found unacceptable and today's 3 hole course with no hazards.

Since I do not want to map courses or add info to mapped courses, or enter scores and keep statistics which is what the Guru seems to be designed for, I have concluded that the Guru is not for me.

I stand corrected about being able to enter the starting hole. I down loaded True Blue in SC, a Mike Stranz course where info would be useful for first time play. The Guru download was totally incomplete (holes 1-3 onl;y) so starting on 10 rendered the Guru useless. Of the 4 courses I have played, only one seemed accurate- 2 others had mapping errors that i found unacceptable and today's 3 hole course with no hazards.

Since I do not want to map courses or add info to mapped courses, or enter scores and keep statistics which is what the Guru seems to be designed for, I have concluded that the Guru is not for me.

See my reply in the other thread. I hope you have better luck returning it and getting your money back than I am!

I just called customer support and spoke to Amanda. Got my number. eyeball to eyeball worked for me. Suggest you try it.

Getting the number was not the issue. It is what has NOT happened since the unit was returned. And I like the idea of a written record. There will be a phone call to give them one last chance before I file the complaint with the BBB.

I have now played 3 different courses with the guru. One of the courses I mapped myself since it was an unlisted course. After saving it and looking at it 2 days later, I found that the guru had truncated my 18-hole mapping down to 13 holes. I reported this to GolfGuru's support and they are having a developer look at my logfiles to try and diagnose the problem. I went ahead and played that same course yesterday and for the 13 holes that were there, the accuracy was very good (anywhere within 0-2 yards of my marks). I also have gotten very accurate readings on the other 2 courses that were pre-mapped. My level of confidence in the distances are very high. In fact, I've found one other, somewhat unusual use for the guru: finding my ball!

When I miss the fairway, I might have trouble finding my ball because I either think I hit it shorter or farther than I really did and spend too much time looking in the wrong place. Now, I just watch the marked distance of my shot on the guru as I get closer to the ball and I end up very close to my ball just based on my known driving distance. Sounds crazy I know, but it works for me.

But on the subject of accuracy, I now know what I've suspected for a long time - that most of the courses in my area will use varying mechanisms to sight their distances (lasers, yardage wheels, etc). Also, in the case of doglegs, they will sight their distances down the center of the fairway and that can make a big difference when you're trying to use the 150 or 200 yard marks to select a club. The guru is clearly measuring a straight-line distance to the center of the green and on a horzontal level with no accounting for elevation (as I'm sure all gps devices do).

The other thing I've noticed is that few courses place their yardage markers on both sides of the fairway. A single yardage marker can be very misleading, whether its a line painted on the cart path, a pole on the side of the fairway or something on a sprinkler head. I'm guessing you could be 5 to 10 yards off in your estimate, just trying to visualize exactly where your ball is relative to the 150 mark, especially when the 150 mark is on the other side of the fairway. That problem goes away entirely with a GPS.

So, after two weeks and 3 courses, I'm very happy with the guru. Since I play a variety of courses, I need to rely on GolfGuru support to map the courses correctly, which they appear to have done so far. A feature that I would love to have is the ability to self-map a course at home. I can do the same thing they do, by using GoogleEarth. If I could map my own course at home prior to playing, I could get it done in a couple of hours easily. I wouldn't have to wait days or weeks for them to map a course, plus I have the advantage of selecting known markers that they might not think of mapping. Not only could I get the mapping as accurate as they do, but when I play the course, I can update the marks with the precise on-course measurements while playing. I think that would give me the best of both worlds.

1. My course has recently reversed it's tees, meaning 10 is now 1 and 1 is now 10. I sent an email to see if they can correct it, yet to be heard from.

2. Am I missing something, or does this unit show any other marks on downloaded courses such as distance to bunkers, etc.? All I ever saw was front/middle/back pin positions.

3. I love the stats section.

please advise.

1. My course has recently reversed it's tees, meaning 10 is now 1 and 1 is now 10. I sent an email to see if they can correct it, yet to be heard from.

2. Am I missing something, or does this unit show any other marks on downloaded courses such as distance to bunkers, etc.? All I ever saw was front/middle/back pin positions.

3. I love the stats section.

please advise.

If they only have Front/Center/Back, ask to have them remap (probably won't take more than 4 days). They should have all of the hazards for a properly mapped course. Makes all the difference in the world :partytime2:

>> 2. Am I missing something, or does this unit show any other marks on downloaded courses such as distance to bunkers, etc.? All I ever saw was front/middle/back pin positions.<<

As I understand it, if the course is listed on GolfGuru's website, you at least get a mapping of the greens. That list apparently came with their purchase of a database of courses early on from some other company. They are in an ongoing process of fully mapping all courses with priority given to the specific courses that customers request. A fully mapped course includes bunkers, water, doglegs, etc. I suspect that they will also add additional hazards that they might miss or that are not readily visible from satellite images, if you request them specifically.

The first course that I requested was 5 days ago, and they have not mapped it yet, but I guess that I'm in line somewhere. So I went ahead and requested the other courses that I typically play during the year, just to make sure I "got in line". I did play one course that was mapped, and I have to admit, it is very cool. As soon as you tell the guru that you are playing a particular hole, the hazards all show up in order of distance with your distance to the hazard listed next to each, three hazards on a single screen of display. As you get closer to each hazard, they drop off the screen since they assume that you don't need them anymore - its all automatic.

If you're still thinking about buying a guru, ask questions by all means. The people on this forum are very helpful.

I've had my Golf Guru for about a month now (Father's Day present!), and I absolutely love this thing! I did quite a bit of online research in trying to decide which one to get, and one of my friends has a SkyCaddie4 that I played with a couple of times.

I decided the features I really wanted were:

1. No annual fee required in order to use it;

2. "Intelligent Green" thingy (the front/center/back are measured on your actual angle to the green - not just from the center of the fairway)

3. Ability to self-map courses, either from scratch, or by modifying an existing course map;

4. I didn't want to pay tons of cash for the thing!

First of all, the accuracy is excellent. I compared accuracy with the SkyCaddie, and they were in near perfect agreement, always within one yard. The SkyCaddie took longer to stabilize sometimes.

I really love the form factor and light weight. I always wear "cargo" style pants or shorts, and it fits perfectly in one of the "cargo" pockets. I can always get a reading right over my ball, not "in the cart" a few yards away. (My friend keeps his SkyCaddie in his cart because it's kind of bulky. It took him longer to get a stable reading. In contrast, my Golf Guru has never lost lock and had to go into some kind of search mode like the SkyCaddie did.)

Regarding the "upside down" configuration: I do find it easier to operate with one hand, but I think if you have fat hands it may be an issue. Personally, I like it.

I get a good three or four rounds on a battery charge. And if the battery ever needs to be replaced, it is a standard battery used by iPods.

I downloaded my home course, and it was greens only, and a bit out of date. (The course was lengthened and rerouted about 5 years ago.) I was able to successfully remap one green that had been modified, but one green was moved back about 70 yards, and for some reason I couldn't remap it. I emailed the company support, and got several timely replies from Amanda. We couldn't get the problem figured out, however, so I decided to map the course myself from scratch. I found it easy to do while playing. On my first try, I mapped all the greens and several other targets for the entire course. When I tried playing my mapped course it only showed 7 holes. So I remapped the 8th green and now everything is working great.

I can see the screen just fine without my reading glasses in natural light, even on an overcast day. I do often play until dusk, and then it gets a bit difficult to see. I just got myself some bifocal sunglasses and that solved the problem. I think the designers made the right choice to not include a back-light. That would add cost, and also reduce battery life.

All in all, I couldn't be more pleased with my Golf Guru. I really hope the company will take seriously the suggestion that they allow users to post their own mapped courses, and allow users to swap courses directly. That would make it the perfect golf gps device!

Short story...I'm testing their 2.0 Utility now. It is quite different than their current utility. Basically, it just syncs your Guru with what you have on the web site, both from the community map stand point, and the user map section. Your user mapped courses can be both uploaded and downloaded in the same manner as the current community mapped courses. This is the first step in sharing user generated maps, which is apparently, not far behind. I've also been told that version 1.15 of the Guru software is now being tested internally, and will be released to beta testers shortly. As a beta tester, we are now being asked to provide "mandatory" feedback to stay on the beta tester list (isn't that what a beta tester's for?).

Hope your SG 2.5 works out for you. I'm sure since they switched to a better quality GPS receiver it will have to work better than the 3's and 4's. Keep us posted. There really haven't been a lot of reviews on the new models. Meanwhile, I keep plugging away with my Golf Guru, and loving every minute of it!!

pflogger - any update on how beta testing is going?

I had a Golf Guru that was damaged, I left it on the back of the cart and then ran over it. Golf Guru offered to try and fix it but I seen little chance of that happening so they offered to sell me a refurb unit with full warranty. Chalk another one up for Golf Guru's customer service.

I never registered my previous unit as I just used it for mapping my own courses but can someone tell me what kind of layout I would have to send them to get one mapped? Would a link to the course webpage showing a layout of each hole suffice?

I had a Golf Guru that was damaged, I left it on the back of the cart and then ran over it. Golf Guru offered to try and fix it but I seen little chance of that happening so they offered to sell me a refurb unit with full warranty. Chalk another one up for Golf Guru's customer service.

I never registered my previous unit as I just used it for mapping my own courses but can someone tell me what kind of layout I would have to send them to get one mapped? Would a link to the course webpage showing a layout of each hole suffice?

To request a course mapping you have to log in to their website and fill out the online form. They ask for name of course, address, phone, and website address. If your course doesn't have an on-line scorecard, try http://search.golf.com/golf-courses/us.html Most golf courses are listed on that website, along with a scorecard... check to be sure it is up to date. If your course has no website or is not listed on golfcourse.com, you will have to send them a scorecard. You can also check http://maps.google.com/ to be sure a good up to date satellite picture exists.

Well, I'll say the 2.0 utility works like a charm, but I never had any issues with the old utility. It does allow for consistent uploading of my user mapped courses.

I'm still using the 1.17 version of the software. I was able to regain use of a course I had modified using 1.14, and then it wouldn't show up on my play list, although, it was in the file management list. It works fine now.

I spotted a bug that I reported in 1.17 that only showed up if you were mapping a course and did not map the green on hole 1 (skipped it or started on some other hole). What I thought was strange, was if you skipped hole 1 in past versions, you could never get any later holes to show up unless you went back and mapped the green on hole 1. This time, however, I was able to see holes that were mapped without having mapped hole 1. It seems, that the Guru was creating a green for me on hole 1, although it had no data in it, so it didn't show up as a valid green. If you went back and tried to modify it, it wouldn't take, so hole 1 was no good. All other holes were fine, but what good is it if you can't get hole 1 to map out. This issue was not a problem on any other holes where you skipped mapping the green except for the first one.

Long story short...I received an email reply to an email I sent them on this issue. They were able to duplicate the issue, and, of course, will fix it. They mentioned they are internally testing 1.18 without this fix in it yet, so who knows what the next official release version will be. Other than this one issue, the 1.17 version seems pretty stable to me, and does everything I need with no problems. I have generated a couple of new course maps and edited a couple also, and so far so good. I didn't receive any information on when a new version is expected out (but I didn't ask). Overall, I'm still loving it!

Well, I'll say the 2.0 utility works like a charm, but I never had any issues with the old utility. It does allow for consistent uploading of my user mapped courses.

I'm still using the 1.17 version of the software. I was able to regain use of a course I had modified using 1.14, and then it wouldn't show up on my play list, although, it was in the file management list. It works fine now.

I spotted a bug that I reported in 1.17 that only showed up if you were mapping a course and did not map the green on hole 1 (skipped it or started on some other hole). What I thought was strange, was if you skipped hole 1 in past versions, you could never get any later holes to show up unless you went back and mapped the green on hole 1. This time, however, I was able to see holes that were mapped without having mapped hole 1. It seems, that the Guru was creating a green for me on hole 1, although it had no data in it, so it didn't show up as a valid green. If you went back and tried to modify it, it wouldn't take, so hole 1 was no good. All other holes were fine, but what good is it if you can't get hole 1 to map out. This issue was not a problem on any other holes where you skipped mapping the green except for the first one.

Long story short...I received an email reply to an email I sent them on this issue. They were able to duplicate the issue, and, of course, will fix it. They mentioned they are internally testing 1.18 without this fix in it yet, so who knows what the next official release version will be. Other than this one issue, the 1.17 version seems pretty stable to me, and does everything I need with no problems. I have generated a couple of new course maps and edited a couple also, and so far so good. I didn't receive any information on when a new version is expected out (but I didn't ask). Overall, I'm still loving it!

Have you tried "modifying" a downloaded course? I did with version 1.17 and none of the intermediate targets show up, only the outline of the greens and all readings to the greens read 999. I "hid" some targets they had mapped and added others. I have not tried mapping a course with 1.17, yet. I may have the opportunity to map out the range next Monday, but not before.

Tried the Guru and it just wasn't for me; shipped it back today. If your looking for self mapping and the versatility to add your own targets, without a yearly fee, this unit is for you. For me I was looking for a simple, load course and go device that would be easy to use without and help from me. I settled on the GolfLogix unit, which seems to be a much better fit. I am happy with 6 hazards per hole, and their course selection in my area is much better than Golf Guru. I'm not bad mouthing the Guru, just seems to work best for someone who wants the ability to tinker with their GPS. If your looking for a very simple solution like I am, look elsewhere. Just my $0.02.

mizuno-tour-knit-pom_black_charcoal_01__02597.jpg.1afb778db4a607f23063a0af4089f6a8.jpg

Callaway Paradym 9* (Kinetixx Velocity)
Tour Edge C722 3wd 
Titleist u505/Tour Edge C722 3H/Callaway Mavrik Max 5wd 
Tour Edge C722 4H

Srixon Z85 5U 
Mizuno 225 6-GW (PX IO 6.0)
Vokey SM9 54D & 60T
Odyssey Stroke Lab Tuttle or Scotty Futura X 35" (SS Pistol 1.0 w/ 50g CW)

Tried the Guru and it just wasn't for me; shipped it back today. If your looking for self mapping and the versatility to add your own targets, without a yearly fee, this unit is for you. For me I was looking for a simple, load course and go device that would be easy to use without and help from me. I settled on the GolfLogix unit, which seems to be a much better fit. I am happy with 6 hazards per hole, and their course selection in my area is much better than Golf Guru. I'm not bad mouthing the Guru, just seems to work best for someone who wants the ability to tinker with their GPS. If your looking for a very simple solution like I am, look elsewhere. Just my $0.02.

I disagree. I don't tinker at all. Shove it in my back pocket and away I go. Size and ease of use -- couldn't be better ...

I just synced my Guru and it still says that 1.14 is the latest version. I'm also using 1.5x of the Utility. How/why do you guys have 1.17 and 2.0 of the Utility ??

Do you guys know if they (Guru Developers) are working on a way to add targets while you play without leaving "play" mode ?? That to me would be valuable -- I don't like to mess w/it too much but wouldn't mind adding some lay up points on-the-fly.