GPS Golf Guru - Any thoughts on this?

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guru problem.

I just got a laptop with Vista. For some reason the utility is not connecting to the internet and keeps trying to connect. Anyone having problems with this with Vista and the Guru utility? I know my internet is connected because I am connected the ESPN.

I remember when I put mine on my laptop I had problems with Vista. I called them and they fixed it over the phone but I can't remember what they told me to do. I'm getting old. Give them a call, it's an easy fix. 1-866-654-GURU (4878)

Guru problem.

I just got a laptop with Vista. For some reason the utility is not connecting to the internet and keeps trying to connect. Anyone having problems with this with Vista and the Guru utility? I know my internet is connected because I am connected the ESPN.

It sounds possible that the Vista firewall is blocking the Guru utility. You may need to go in through Security Center and add the Utility to the approved list.

Attention Guru users who are doing your own mapping:

Here are a couple of tips I got yesterday when I inquired at Golf Guru:

When you map a green, you will want to do the following, in order for the green to be in the proper orientation when you display it:

Your mapping starting point should be the point on the edge of the green that you would first touch if you walked down the middle of the fairway, directly toward the green, until you hit the edge of the green. Starting at this point, you then go around the green in either direction.

I don't remember reading this tip in the manual.

Here is something else about mapping, which explains how the device is working internally:

Let's say that you are playing a course and you want to edit it while you are playing. (This is really simple and fast, once you have done it a time or two.) You will want to understand that the Guru keeps two versions of the course when you are doing this. It keeps BOTH the version you are playing and the version you are editing. In other words, it does not put the changes into the file you are playing from; it puts them into a separate file.

So, you start playing by loading the course and selecting play. Now you have one version of the course active.

Now, if you immediately go to the menu and tell the Guru to go into mapping mode, and you select the currently-being-played course as the course to be mapped, the same version of the course goes into a special mapping area. At this point, you have two identical copies of the course active, one a "play" version and a separate "map" version. Now you go back to play mode.

Let's say you now want to add a target, a tree, on the first hole. You are in play mode, so you hit the menu key and go to course mapping. You already loaded the course into the mapping area before you started the round, so the Guru takes you immediately to the right hole on the right course. Now you add the tree and hit "save". At this point your two versions become *different*. Your play version has no tree in it, and your mapping version has the tree in it.

Now you go back to play mode by hitting the back button a couple of times, and you continue to play. As you go from hole-to hole, you can add targets or modify targets as you want, and the changes will all be accumulating in the mapping area. However, until you do a SAVE COURSE operation, the play version of the course will not be updated with your changes. The way I save the course is to turn the unit off. When I hold down the On/Off button, I am prompted to *save the course*. I say "yes" and the unit saves the course, and the next time I turn the unit on and load the course for play, I get the changed version of the course.

I was initially confused about the two different levels of saving that is occurring. If you understand that you are playing out of one file and mapping out of another file, then you understand that the first level of saving, which occurs whenever you finish editing or adding a target, is a save that modifies the mapping version but not the permanent (play) version. When you have completed all of your course editing and want to copy the edited course into the permanent storage area for the course, you have to do a second level of saving.

As I get time, I plan to map every single course that I play routinely, even though Guru has mapped them for me. This is the way for me to get to the real power that the Guru has over all other devices - accuracy. Satellite imagery is fine, but it introduces error. If I map my normal golf courses myself, I am taking full advantage of the superior accuracy of this unit. I am betting that I will have accuracy that rivals the laser rangefinders with all the convenience and flexibility of GPS. (I am a two handicap, and even at this level of play I cannot use this accuracy because I am nowhere near +/- 1 yard on my irons, but damn it is going to be fun to know precisely what the goal is!).

I have version 1.14 of the firmware. I have encountered no problems.

I now have the new version of the Guru Utility. It is simple and slick!!

I am falling in love with this device as I learn it in detail.

Attention Guru users who are doing your own mapping:

Here are a couple of tips I got yesterday when I inquired at Golf Guru:

When you map a green, you will want to do the following, in order for the green to be in the proper orientation when you display it:

Your mapping starting point should be the point on the edge of the green that you would first touch if you walked down the middle of the fairway, directly toward the green, until you hit the edge of the green. Starting at this point, you then go around the green in either direction.

I don't remember reading this tip in the manual.

Here is something else about mapping, which explains how the device is working internally:

Let's say that you are playing a course and you want to edit it while you are playing. (This is really simple and fast, once you have done it a time or two.) You will want to understand that the Guru keeps two versions of the course when you are doing this. It keeps BOTH thversion you are playing and the version you are editing. In other words, it does not put the changes into the file you are playing from; it puts them into a separate file.

So, you start playing by loading the course and selecting play. Now you have one version of the course active.

Now, if you immediately go to the menu and tell the Guru to go into mapping mode, and you select the currently-being-played course as the course to be mapped, the same version of the course goes into a special mapping area. At this point, you have two identical copies of the course active, one a "play" version and a separate "map" version. Now you go back to play mode.

Let's say you now want to add a target, a tree, on the first hole. You are in play mode, so you hit the menu key and go to course mapping. You already loaded the course into the mapping area before you started the round, so the Guru takes you immediately to the right hole on the right course. Now you add the tree and hit "save". At this point your two versions become *different*. Your play version has no tree in it, and your mapping version has the tree in it.

Now you go back to play mode by hitting the back button a couple of times, and you continue to play. As you go from hole-to hole, you can add targets or modify targets as you want, and the changes will all be accumulating in the mapping area. However, until you do a SAVE COURSE operation, the play version of the course will not be updated with your changes. The way I save the course is to turn the unit off. When I hold down the On/Off button, I am prompted to *save the course*. I say "yes" and the unit saves the course, and the next time I turn the unit on and load the course for play, I get the changed version of the course.

I was initially confused about the two different levels of saving that is occurring. If you understand that you are playing out of one file and mapping out of another file, then you understand that the first level of saving, which occurs whenever you finish editing or adding a target, is a save that modifies the mapping version but not the permanent (play) version. When you have completed all of your course editing and want to copy the edited course into the permanent storage area for the course, you have to do a second level of saving.

As I get time, I plan to map every single course that I play routinely, even though Guru has mapped them for me. This is the way for me to get to the real power that the Guru has over all other devices - accuracy. Satellite imagery is fine, but it introduces error. If I map my normal golf courses myself, I am taking full advantage of the superior accuracy of this unit. I am betting that I will have accuracy that rivals the laser rangefinders with all the convenience and flexibility of GPS. (I am a two handicap, and even at this level of play I cannot use this accuracy because I am nowhere near +/- 1 yard on my irons, but damn it is going to be fun to know precisely what the goal is!).

I have version 1.14 of the firmware. I have encountered no problems.

I now have the new version of the Guru Utility. It is simple and slick!!

I am falling in love with this device as I learn it in detail.

A couple of questions. After saving your edited course are there two courses listed on your Guru (the downloaded course and your edited version of the course)? Is there an edited version in "My Mapped Courses" on their website after you have uploaded the course. Have you remapped any downloaded greens and if so how did that work out? Did you hide their mapped green and add your own? Thanks for the info.

Rick

"A couple of questions. After saving your edited course are there two courses listed on your Guru (the downloaded course and your edited version of the course)? Is there an edited version in "My Mapped Courses" on their website after you have uploaded the course. Have you remapped any downloaded greens and if so how did that work out? Did you hide their mapped green and add your own? Thanks for the info.

Rick"

If you initially created the course yourself, the only course you will see on your Guru after you have saved the edited version will be the edited version under the original name. The mapping file is hidden. The next time you sync using the Guru Utility, the updated version of the course you originally entered is what will be stored into the Guru cloud.

Re-mapping greens that they originally mapped: This was the first thing I tried before I knew what I was doing, and I did it wrong. I actually did it, but then I was confused about saving the course and blew it, so it all got lost. The actual mapping of the points was simple and intuitive and worked. But I couldn't see my re-mapped green immediately (didn't know about the mapping file being different than the play file) and I assumed I had screwed something up, and I didn't save it.

As you imply, there is a thing with 1.14 that will be changed in 1.16 about re-mapping greens that makes it slightly different than mapping greens from scratch. With 1.14 you cannot technically re-map a green. But you can create a second green for the same hole, and the second green is the one that will be used after you save the course and then play it. I don't think it is necessary to hide the first green, I think the Guru just picks up the second version of the green when you play the course. So, the effect is that you have re-mapped the green but you don't do it with the "target modify" mapping process. You do it with the "new target" mapping process. I am told that this goes away with 1.16, when you can select the green for modification. I don't have 1.16.

Also, with the editing of a Guru mapped course, you get the "My Course XXX" version of the course as is described in the manual - a new, visible, permanent (until you delete it) file. I don't know what happens if you edit a Guru mapped course, then store it which causes the "My Course XXX" version to be created, then edit the "My Course XXX" version of the course. I am sure you can do this, and I am guessing that editing the green of a "My Course XXX" course would follow the rules of editing a course that you initially entered yourself.

Sorry about the nomenclature here. I don't think I use the correct terms all the time. This is really much easier to do than to describe.

Confused? I should say so! So when I go to play the course again that I added a target to, are there still 2 maps and if so, which one do I choose and how do I know which one to choose?

never mind....I see that it says after the course name "My nameofcourse". There are 2 courses listed: the original and the one I edited.

"Hmmmm....I wasn't told to save as a different name. Are you using v 1.14? "

Yes 1.14 - but I am also talking about a course they mapped & I edited...

Yes, me too. I was never asked that question and I see the edited map is called "Coursename-My coursename".

But maybe it did ask me and I ignored the request to rename??

Hey guys - I don't want to distract from this sub-thread, its great information to have since I'm expecting to receive my guru in the next couple of days. And since I'm a computer guy, I follow everything being said here, however, I have a different question:

I've been reading the guru manual, and it states that when you start out on a selected course, you pick which tee you're starting at (say the first tee), which makes sense, especially since some courses put their first and tenth tees very near each other (or you're in a shotgun scramble or something). However, the manual then says you select which tees you are going to play from. Why does it need this information, and will it ask this on every hole? It doesn't seem to make sense to tell the guru which tee (red, white, gold, whatever) you are teeing off from, since your current position is the guru and you only want distances TO your marks.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Hey guys - I don't want to distract from this sub-thread, its great information to have since I'm expecting to receive my guru in the next couple of days. And since I'm a computer guy, I follow everything being said here, however, I have a different question:

I've been reading the guru manual, and it states that when you start out on a selected course, you pick which tee you're starting at (say the first tee), which makes sense, especially since some courses put their first and tenth tees very near each other (or you're in a shotgun scramble or something). However, the manual then says you select which tees you are going to play from. Why does it need this information, and will it ask this on every hole? It doesn't seem to make sense to tell the guru which tee (red, white, gold, whatever) you are teeing off from, since your current position is the guru and you only want distances TO your marks.

No, it will not ask for each hole which tee's you're hitting from. Maybe it needs it for score tracking?

That is for the handicap system. Different tees have different slope ratings. It will make no difference in obtaining yardages.

Thanks for the replies - at least I won't have to enter it at every hole. I have to say, I'm pretty excited about getting this. If it makes it here on Friday as I expect, I'm planning on taking it out to the course on Saturday and giving it a run. I'd be glad to post my findings here if everyone isn't already tired of reading people's reviews.

:clapping:

So once again Golf Guru customer support comes through in a big way. I put in a request about 10 days ago for targets to be added to a course and put a note in that I was playing this course on the 20th and it would be great if it could be done in time. I have already used my guaranteed 7 day mapping request so I was hopeful but not expecting it to be done.

I check my email this morning and it has been done! This is the 3rd course I have requested by a certain date and the 3rd that has been completed on time. It has been said before but the Golf Guru customer support team is second to none. There have been some hiccups along the way but they are continually trying to update and upgrade without losing the customer service. I, for one, am extremely happy I chose this unit

... I have already used my guaranteed 7 day mapping request so I was hopeful but not expecting it to be done.

Huh? What guarantee? It says in the web site "We will map the course within 7 days and notify you when it's available for download." Then, their e-mail response to a request says "Once we have all required

information (scorecard and hole layout) pertaining to this particular course, and if acceptable aerial imagery exists,

your course can usually be generated within 7 business days." :)

They have mapped my requested courses in 6-9 days. I'm still waiting on a course that was requested on June 6. :clapping:

From http://www.gpsgolfguru.com/Products/compare.php under Notes...#3

"Depends on availability of aerial imagery and user must provide us the scorecard. First requested course guaranteed in 7 days."

Did you happen to put a "needed date" by the request you made on June 6th?

I did get the first one within their 7 day guarantee. I find it somewhat laughable that they say "First requested course guaranteed in 7 days." since so few of my courses were available in the first place.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the Golf Guru GPS. Their customer service is great. I just wish the courses they had (the ones they bought initially) had more info than the standard green info (F-C-B). Mapped or re-mapped courses are coming with more info on hazards, doglegs, etc. I now see their course database is up to 7000 courses.

The battery lasts quite a long time, mapping is somewhat easy and the lack of a back light is not a problem since I don't golf under the stars. The 'joystick' could be bigger or different. The keys above the screen are inconvenient.

Some people here are putting their Guru's in their pockets. When I do this, I get two bars of signal strength, not three.

When I am mapping a course, I want three bars of signal at all times, as this is the state in which the device has superior accuracy. So I have learned to keep the unit in the drink holder of my Sun Mountain cart. When it is there I always get three bars.

Today I bonded a little picture frame wall hook (the kind that is a closed, triangular-shaped piece of wire that pivots) onto the back of the unit. With this hook, I can connect the unit to a safety strap that I have attached to my cart. This is the way I used to carry my iGolf Caddie, and it worked great.

The Guru form factor was obviously done to make it practical to carry in a pocket, and I still have that option, but until I get all my mapping work done I will carry it on my cart.

Today I mapped an entire course, with great accuracy and all greens and targets of interest included, while I played in a foursome. I set up the course with targets and dummy greens ahead of time. Then I just put the unit into map mode for all 18 holes and played my game - I used the old fashioned way of getting my distances for this one time. The only disruption to the foursome was that I putted out of turn a number of times - by agreement, ahead of time - so that I could walk around the green while they were putting. By using the pause feature I never caused a problem when they were putting and I was mapping the green. We are all walkers and we completed our round in our usual sub-four hour time, so I didn't hold up anything. I even had plenty of time to add a few targets that I had neglected to include when I did the pre-mapping. My compliments to the folks who designed the mapping mode software. It is so efficient and easy to use!

From http://www.gpsgolfguru.com/Products/compare.php under Notes...#3

"Depends on availability of aerial imagery and user must provide us the scorecard. First requested course guaranteed in 7 days."

Did you happen to put a "needed date" by the request you made on June 6th?

I did get the first one within their 7 day guarantee. I find it somewhat laughable that they say "First requested course guaranteed in 7 days." since so few of my courses were available in the first place.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the Golf Guru GPS. Their customer service is great. I just wish the courses they had (the ones they bought initially) had more info than the standard green info (F-C-B). Mapped or re-mapped courses are coming with more info on hazards, doglegs, etc. I now see their course database is up to 7000 courses.

The battery lasts quite a long time, mapping is somewhat easy and the lack of a back light is not a problem since I don't golf under the stars. The 'joystick' could be bigger or different. The keys above the screen are inconvenient.

I wish they had a rating on the courses that they have mapped in their database so you'd know what to expect when you go to the course to play the first time w/the Guru. If they don't have enough info on a course you play, ask them to remap it. They are very quick to do so and it makes all the difference in the world. I've asked for a couple and they are great.

I consistently get 3 rounds out of one charge but the third can get kinda tight -- two rounds is no problem. All-in-all, I'm very pleased w/mine. :russian_roulette:

There is a new course in my area, Lake Presidential in MD, and Guru is the only one that has mapped it let alone even list it. They mapped the first nine great, but then seemed to lose interest on the back. Holes 13, 14 and 15 have no points although there are lots of crucial areas to be mapped. The 11th has a bunker in the middle of the fairway and all they have is layup yardage, same with 17. Then the 18th is mapped.

They could have a great device if their mappers did a professional job. Most of the courses I've used seem to fall apart on the back nine. I just don't get it.

There is a new course in my area, Lake Presidential in MD, and Guru is the only one that has mapped it let alone even list it. They mapped the first nine great, but then seemed to lose interest on the back. Holes 13, 14 and 15 have no points although there are lots of crucial areas to be mapped. The 11th has a bunker in the middle of the fairway and all they have is layup yardage, same with 17. Then the 18th is mapped.

They could have a great device if their mappers did a professional job. Most of the courses I've used seem to fall apart on the back nine. I just don't get it.

Yeah, ditto one of my courses. I requested that they remap it and it has come back in much better shape. They said even if you want just one hole remapped, your gonna get a complete course remap.

I've now played 2 courses with the guru and overall I'm pleased. The first course I played had been mapped by golfguru, so I was able to simply play the course and use the yardages provided. The course seemed to be mapped well and was accurate. The only gotcha that I ran into was that when I was marking my shots, if I left the guru in 'marking' mode, I had no way to switch to the next hole (I was running in manual mode). That was confusing, and I started to panic a little at one of the tees when I couldn't find a way to switch holes. It wasn't until I turned off marking that I could advance to the next hole. I think this could be changed, so that if you want to advance to the next hole, you simply do so, and marking should just be canceled. Without knowing what is wrong, first time users (like me) could find yourself out on the course with a "stuck" GPS. At the very least, this needs to be spelled out in the manual - a simple sidebar warning would do.

The second round I played was at a course that was not mapped, and since its an unlisted course, I decided to map it myself. I took the advice of others on this thread and pre-entered the targets (I've played the course a number of times before). Pre-entering the targets is clearly a good thing and kept our foursome on pace. When I got to mapping the greens, I walked up to the front of the green from the middle of the fairway, turned on the mapping process, and walked counter-clockwise around the perimeter of the green. I always let the others go ahead and chip/putt while I walked, and then I finished out my hole. That worked well, and I almost never slowed down the foursome.

My suggestion for how 'fast' you should walk: normal walking speed for most people is about 3mph and about 3 foot steps. I would suggest you walk at half speed with half steps, with your left foot always on the green and right foot always off the green. I also suggest that you not look at the guru while walking, since it is drawing the line for the green as you go. This 'line' looks very odd during the first half of your walk, and you can can get disoriented looking at it, trying to figure it out. Wait at least until you are 3/4s of the way around the green before glancing down at the guru and then it will start to look like the shape of the green.

The greens at this course were very large, and since the guru captures up to 150 points at 1 second per point, you basically have 2 and a half minutes to walk the perimeter. I walked these very large greens in 110 points or less every time, even at the slow, baby step pace. The slower you walk, the more points you capture and the more accurate the green looks.

I have a question for you experts: since I pre-entered my targets at this course, I was able to simply walk to the target and press the Mark button to record its location. However, each target is numbered as first target, second target, third target, etc. While out on the course, if I find a target that I forgot and its located between the second and third target, how do I 'insert' the target? I only saw options for adding targets, not for 'inserting' a target. I assume that any new targets would end up being a fourth target and show up out of order - is this correct or how do I do this?

Some other random thoughts:

The guru screen is on the bottom with the keys at the top - I see no value in this as others have stated. It wasn't a problem necessarily, but it is weird.

The screen is basically that of a solar desktop calculator, which is easily viewable in regular indoor lighting as well as outdoor lighting, including in the trees with a cloudy sky. However, in heavily-shaded areas and an overcast sky, it was harder for me to see (I normally need reading glasses and never bring them on the course). Again, this never was a problem with the trees on either side of the fairway. I only ran across it on the drive between holes when I found myself much deeper into the woods with a rainy overcast sky.

The size lets me stick the thing in my pocket easily and it never bothered me. However, the case is made of a cheap plastic, which scatches easily. For the first round, I kept it in my front pocket with my tees, divot tool and my ball mark. After one round, I had a number of scratches on the case. For my second round, I stuck it in my back pocket, which is empty, and again I didn't notice it being there. So, sizewise, its very nice in that regard. Hopefully I'll remember not to sit on it.

Customer support is everything everyone says it is: they really respond quickly to anything you ask.

Overall, I'm very happy with the decision to buy the GolfGuru. Its money well spent. I'll post more when I get a better feel for how to use it.

Comments to afourletterword:

I started out walking real slow, too. Now I walk at a more normal pace. Slower means more points means which is theoretically more accurate, but in practice my greens are really accurate when I walk at a normal pace.

I cannot answer your insert question at this point. I will have to try messing with it. It's a good question.

Today I played the first course that I had mapped by myself. I had to-remap several greens while I played today because I had them in the wrong orientation (hadn't yet learned to start mapping where the middle of the fairway intersects the green). Once you get the hang of how to modify or add mapping points while playing, it is really fast to do this.

The accuracy of this device and stability of the readings are so much better than my old iGolf that it is unbelievable. I walk up to a green that I have previously mapped, and the distance to the front goes to zero every single time when I get to the front edge. Not "1", not "2". Zero! Unbelievable accuracy/repeatibility! And the readings to do not drift like they did on the iGolf. I attribute this to the WAAF-on capability, which would not work well on the iGolf (gave stable but unrepeatable readings).

The more I use this device, the more convinced I am that its future is in the hands of people who will map their own courses and turn the courses over to Golf Guru to share with the community. If you self-map a course, and make sure you have three bars of signal strength when you are doing your mapping, the accuracy of this device is just unreal. The way I get a consistent three bars of signal is to put the device in the drinkholder of my Sun Mountain cart and not in my pocket. The Guru people have set up the device so it is so easy and efficient to map a course that you can literally do it while you play and not slow down play. Why would I even *want* a pre-mapped golf course when I can map a course in one round of play, while I am playing, and forever after have superior accuracy to anything that the Guru people can do with a satellite imagery or that any other company can give me with any other product on the market?!