GPS Golf Guru - Any thoughts on this?

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It also claims to have a multi shot distance table for recording club and lie for all your shots. Hmmmm...wonder if they'll have a trade in plan?

Yes, but it claims that this feature is "common to all gurus"

https://www.gpsgolfguru.com/support/faq

"The Golf Guru does track and archive your shots. While the Golf Guru does not suggest a club choice, it does provide the accurate information you need to make the correct choice."

I know they were claiming this to be a feature they were intending to add, but was unaware that it was now part of the program. I have the grayscale version, has anyone been using this feature?

Just thinking the same thing myself. Mine is just over a month old. The only way I can part with it is with a nicer one. With 200 courses, you can just about load all the courses in any major city.

I will hold onto my grayscale until they introduce a version with more than a larger memory and color.

A 200 course memory sounds nice, but I think in real world usage of the device it is not going to make that much of a difference to most players. Even for an avid golfer it would be a years long task to play 200 different courses. Loading new courses more often is a relatively minor nuisance, at least for me. I am on my laptop a couple of hours a day, 7 days a week.

I would like to see a version that shows you where you are in relation to the green (angle of approach) for blind shots. One of my favorite courses has quite a few blind shots and I would love it if my guru could indicate the line to start my shot.

I would like to see a version that shows you where you are in relation to the green (angle of approach) for blind shots. One of my favorite courses has quite a few blind shots and I would love it if my guru could indicate the line to start my shot.

Not sure what you're asking for here, unless you are looking for a layout of the fairway from tee to green or something like that. There are even a couple of models out now that can do tee to green thing.

The Guru gives you distances to the green in relation to your position by moving the near icon (triangle), and the far icon (square). They move around the green as you change position and run on a straight line between your position, and the center of the green. Once you use the joystick to move the pin position, that straight lines runs from your position through the pin. I may have misunderstood you, but several of the GPS units give you distance to the green based on your position.

A 200 course memory sounds nice, but I think in real world usage of the device it is not going to make that much of a difference to most players. Even for an avid golfer it would be a years long task to play 200 different courses. Loading new courses more often is a relatively minor nuisance, at least for me. I am on my laptop a couple of hours a day, 7 days a week.

I often do a pilgrimage to Myrtle beach. It sure is nice to have every course in my Guru so I don't have to think about what courses to play in advance.

Not sure what you're asking for here, unless you are looking for a layout of the fairway from tee to green or something like that. There are even a couple of models out now that can do tee to green thing.

The Guru gives you distances to the green in relation to your position by moving the near icon (triangle), and the far icon (square). They move around the green as you change position and run on a straight line between your position, and the center of the green. Once you use the joystick to move the pin position, that straight lines runs from your position through the pin. I may have misunderstood you, but several of the GPS units give you distance to the green based on your position.

Go to your ball, face the green, turn 45-90 degrees right or left. Or walk to the other side of the fairway. The near / far icons on the green on the the monitor do not change, nor does the image of the green change position. You could turn your back to the green and the image stays the same, indicating the green to be towards the tee box. At least my monitor. It appears that the icons indicating near and far points on the green are static. The unit does give an accurate yardage reading, but the near / far icons are static. Either I have a defective unit or the guru does not move these icons to indicate the nearest and furthest points on the green in relation to the units position on the hole. Just to be certain, I double checked this yesterday while playing.

I would like to see the near / far icons on the green change to indicate near / far in relation to my location on the hole, so that I could figure out a line on blind shots.

I will hold onto my grayscale until they introduce a version with more than a larger memory and color.

I often do a pilgrimage to Myrtle beach. It sure is nice to have every course in my Guru so I don't have to think about what courses to play in advance.

It still isn't enough to make me upgrade. Every hotel I have stayed at in the last 10 years has had internet access and a computer for guests to use. I can download the courses day of play if needed (minor inconvenience). However, every golf trip I have taken, we made tee times in advance, I knew before leaving home which ones I would be playing.

My point is, these upgrades alone are not enough to make me change out my unit. I would like to see more on course feature upgrades (as described above).

I now have a SkyCaddie SG4 and have considered a move to the laser range finder due to the many problems with this unit. This is the second one and it has many of the same problems as the first one. The unit will not maintain the satelite link for more than a few holes without a restart or reset. Is it worth another $100 to have it repaired or should I consider a different unit. Any thoughts from the members?

Thanks,

Wrong Side

I now have a SkyCaddie SG4 and have considered a move to the laser range finder due to the many problems with this unit. This is the second one and it has many of the same problems as the first one. The unit will not maintain the satelite link for more than a few holes without a restart or reset. Is it worth another $100 to have it repaired or should I consider a different unit. Any thoughts from the members?

Thanks,

Wrong Side

Obviously posted in wrong topic. Dump the SkyCaddie and get a Guru!

Go to your ball, face the green, turn 45-90 degrees right or left. Or walk to the other side of the fairway. The near / far icons on the green on the the monitor do not change, nor does the image of the green change position.

Give them a call or email support. Your icons should not be static and should move with your position. Of course, if you are 300 yards out and move from one side of the fairway to the other, your icons won't move very much. Best way to tell is once you get to the green, walk about 10 or 15 yards away from it at about 90 degrees from the fairway approach. The icons should now be oriented on the east and west axis. The green itself does not rotate. If yours does not do this, something is wrong.

You could turn your back to the green and the image stays the same, indicating the green to be towards the tee box.

Your position is just a dot on the fairway (or the rough, or the woods, or wherever). It does not matter what direction you are physically facing. Turning your body one direction or another makes no difference. Your position has not changed, and the green didn't move either. Distances are measured straight line from you position, to whatever feature you have shown on the screen. Unless your playing in a dense fog, a golf gps receiver assumes you know where your target is and are facing the right direction.

My point is, these upgrades alone are not enough to make me change out my unit. I would like to see more on course feature upgrades (as described above).

I agree with that point. And I believe the guru guys are well aware that color alone isn't worth the additional price. They've actually said so on their site. Could it be they have additional functionality planned?

After weeks, I still have no ability to modify my software version on the Guru. I'm stuck with 1.18 and thus cannot modify anything on the course. I'll call Amanda to see what's up.

go-rebels,

Make that call to Golf Guru. They might have something for you if you're having an issue with edited maps showing 999. There are a couple of us (heavy self mappers) that have an early beta version that seems to be pretty rock solid. My home course where I live had the 999 problem after adding two mounds to hole 3. This version did not fix that map (I was told it would not), but I was able to delete that one and start fresh. Worked like a charm, along with adding features to about every other hole (just for test purposes).

Sneak preview (was given ok to mention this) the new version has the club and lie information tied to the mark feature now. You can keep track of the distance, club and lie for every shot you take, including putts. I've tried it out, and it works well, but I probalby won't personally use it other than testing it out. They also put in a better time zone selection with a daylight savings time on or off selection. In addition, courses in your play list will sort by how close they are to your location, once you are receiving at least two bars of satellite signal. When you get to a course, it will be the first one on your list of choices when you go to the play list. I think that's all, but if I think of anything else, I'll post it later.

the new version has the club and lie information tied to the mark feature now. You can keep track of the distance, club and lie for every shot you take, including putts. I've tried it out, and it works well, but I probalby won't personally use it other than testing it out.

I will use this to get a handle on my on course iron distances, I have been waiting for this feature to come out. I am hopeful that it will not be a distraction trying to use it on all my iron shots.

Does anyone know if the beta version open to all users or just those who are beta testing? If it is open to all users, where can one download it? I am guessing that my issue with Green Zense is due to a glitch that will be remedied with the next update, since it appears to NOT be a universal issue and I doubt it could be a hardware problem since other than that it performs flawlessly. I am really not interested in trying to reload the current software or move back to the original 1.14 that was pre-loaded.

There are a couple of us (heavy self mappers) that have an early beta version that seems to be pretty rock solid. My home course where I live had the 999 problem after adding two mounds to hole 3. This version did not fix that map (I was told it would not), but I was able to delete that one and start fresh. Worked like a charm, along with adding features to about every other hole (just for test purposes).

Pflogger,

If I am reading your note correctly, there is a later version of 1:18 that resolves all the self mapping issues?

I am still on the fence about going from 1:14 to 1:18

EDIT: So I just got a call from the support at Golf Guru. Wow, I wasn't expecting to hear from them over the weekend. Turns out that they need to activate the Guru ID in their database before the web registration will work -- and this was inadvertantly overlooked at shipping time. Anyway, all's working now; I was going to just delete this post but figured I'd just edit-in an update in case anyone else has a similiar issue.

Kudos to the Guru's customer service -- exceptional!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original Post:

Not meaning to hijack the discussion on sw versioning, but...I just received my Golf Guru last night and can't seem to register it. Being Saturday, I can't call for support and I probably won't receive a reply to the e-mail I sent them today.

So here's my problem: I put my golf guru ID, e-mail, etc. into the Guru Registration Page. Clicking on "register" gives a red banner saying: "Guru ID not yet registered". Anyone experience this and know if there's a known bug, and more importantly, a workaround?

This is a real bummer for me. I had my spirits high to get a Guru in time for my end-of-summer tournament this weekend and now it looks like it's just a paperweight for the next few days...

Does anyone know if the beta version open to all users or just those who are beta testing? If it is open to all users, where can one download it? I am guessing that my issue with Green Zense is due to a glitch that will be remedied with the next update, since it appears to NOT be a universal issue and I doubt it could be a hardware problem since other than that it performs flawlessly. I am really not interested in trying to reload the current software or move back to the original 1.14 that was pre-loaded.

You know, I am not sure. Give them a call. Since you are having a problem, they may be able to do something so that the next time you connect using the utility it will offer you the beta software (1.28 for the grayscale).

Have you tried moving the pin loation using the joystick? By approximating where the pin is you should get a near and far points from your position through the pin as depicted on your display. Unlike the Skycaddie, the green does not rotate. That outline is "fixed". Only the near and far points move relative to your position. I think it is a way they get around a SkyCaddie patent.

You know, I am not sure. Give them a call. Since you are having a problem, they may be able to do something so that the next time you connect using the utility it will offer you the beta software (1.28 for the grayscale).

Have you tried moving the pin loation using the joystick? By approximating where the pin is you should get a near and far points from your position through the pin as depicted on your display. Unlike the Skycaddie, the green does not rotate. That outline is "fixed". Only the near and far points move relative to your position. I think it is a way they get around a SkyCaddie patent.

Thanks, if only the near and far points move, not the green, then I think my device is functioning correctly. I was thinking that the green rotated so that it would automatically show the line regardless of position of the unit, like the Skycaddies. With the guru, if you stay in the same spot and rotate the device 90 deg, the green, near and far icons remain static. I will simply need to be extra careful that the guru is pointed exactly in the correct direction, with my ball, near icon and far icon all aligned.

I'm currently leaning towards the Guru (grayscale)...is there a downside to getting one off of eBay vs. from the OEM? Looks like you can save abt $40-$45 on eBay. Is there an upside to paying the xtra and going direct to Golf Guru? If I order by tomorrow (Sunday) I should have it by next weekend, right? Thx in advance!

I'm currently leaning towards the Guru (grayscale)...is there a downside to getting one off of eBay vs. from the OEM? Looks like you can save abt $40-$45 on eBay. Is there an upside to paying the xtra and going direct to Golf Guru? If I order by tomorrow (Sunday) I should have it by next weekend, right? Thx in advance!

I bought mine on a Sunday off of ebay from the OEM. It was shipped early on the following Monday and came on Wednesday (Maryland, DC suburbs).