GPS Golf Guru - Any thoughts on this?

I had a couple of problems yesterday with a self-mapped course that I mapped last weekend.

First, I could not modify a green. I wanted to re-map a couple of the greens, and I was not allowed to select the target "green" for modification. I tried to delete the target, then select it. Still would not allow me to do it. I kept getting the message that I already had a green target. So, can you tell me how I can re-map a self-mapped green?

Second, on one hole, my distances were off by a good 20 yards. The green was user-mapped, so the distances should have been right on. The shape of the green was correct, so there is no question that it was mapped correctly. I have no idea what could be the problem. All day long my distances did not seem quite right on some of the holes, also. I was playing with a friend who has a Bushnell, and he kept calling out distances that were up to five yards different from the readings I was getting. Strange....

I am using version 2.0 of the Guru software. I used this version to map this particular course, and to play it. There was an earlier problem of some sort with modifying user-mapped greens, but wasn't this supposed to be fixed in 2.0? This was a user-mapped green on a user-mapped course.

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a couple of problems yesterday with a self-mapped course that I mapped last weekend.

First, I could not modify a green. I wanted to re-map a couple of the greens, and I was not allowed to select the target "green" for modification. I tried to delete the target, then select it. Still would not allow me to do it. I kept getting the message that I already had a green target. So, can you tell me how I can re-map a self-mapped green?

Second, on one hole, my distances were off by a good 20 yards. The green was user-mapped, so the distances should have been right on. The shape of the green was correct, so there is no question that it was mapped correctly. I have no idea what could be the problem. All day long my distances did not seem quite right on some of the holes, also. I was playing with a friend who has a Bushnell, and he kept calling out distances that were up to five yards different from the readings I was getting. Strange....

I am using version 2.0 of the Guru software. I used this version to map this particular course, and to play it. There was an earlier problem of some sort with modifying user-mapped greens, but wasn't this supposed to be fixed in 2.0? This was a user-mapped green on a user-mapped course.

To modify a green, whether it is on a downloaded course or one you have mapped yourself: When on the hole that you want to re-map the green, move the joystick "down" to the target # field, then toggle it right or left until the "type" shows 'Green'. Hit the middle button above "Target" and select "modify". The you "map" the green and this will take the place of the previously mapped green. If you select "add" you get the message about a green already existing for that hole.

Regarding the yardage being off, I don't know what to tell you. Mine has worked just fine. In fact, side by side, the grayscale and color units are giving me the same distances.

The color unit is very, very nice! It is just the tiniest bit thicker and heavier than the grayscale. That slight difference gives it a more substantial feel for some reason. The display, with black text on a white background, is very east to read. Grayscale units are most visible in bright sunshine while the opposite is true of a backlit unit. When that backligt goes out, you have to hit a button to bring it back to 'life', which gets a little annoying but it is quick to respond and is no different than any other backlit unit out there. Both the brightness of the display and the amount of delay before it goes off are adjustable. Other than that there are no features that differ from the grayscale; all the functionality is identical.

I've had my Guru for about a month or 2 now. Great unit, no complaints.

I even used the "e-mail them for courses not on the list". They had it for

me in a couple of days.

Now, i'm still on version 1.14. Is it diffucult to get to 1.18 or 2.0??

As you can tell, not the most computer literate. ;) . But, we're getting there. :D

Now, i'm still on version 1.14. Is it diffucult to get to 1.18 or 2.0??

You should be offered the opportunity to upgrade to the latest version of the software when you connect your Guru and run the Utility.

Is that all it is? Clicking on that and away I go? I have seen it.

Just didn't do anything with it. :D

I like the new marking system. At first, I thought my guru was broken. But then again, who reads the manual?

The new version seemed like extra keystrokes but actually it alway is 2 ( "mark" then "save" ). The save displays the current position and marks for the next one. I have not bothered track each club and lie, yet. Advancing to a new hole resets the marking capability.

It tracks the hole, stroke #, distance, club and lie. I found there is a menu option to play it back later. Not bad.

The color unit is very, very nice! It is just the tiniest bit thicker and heavier than the grayscale. That slight difference gives it a more substantial feel for some reason. The display, with black text on a white background, is very east to read. Grayscale units are most visible in bright sunshine while the opposite is true of a backlit unit. When that backligt goes out, you have to hit a button to bring it back to 'life', which gets a little annoying but it is quick to respond and is no different than any other backlit unit out there. Both the brightness of the display and the amount of delay before it goes off are adjustable. Other than that there are no features that differ from the grayscale; all the functionality is identical.

Is the color unit basically the same as the grayscale but with color?

My only wish for the GG is that it be able to give me "distance to" feature like the Upro. I test drove the Upro and found it too difficult to see in bright light.

The software is the same, the features are the same, the functionality is the same, they work the same, you see the same information between the color and grayscale units. I have found with the brightness all the way up the color unit is more readable in sunlight than the grayscale is to see in dim lighting conditions. You don't have the measuring capability like the uPro; the GG will only give you distances to targets that have been mapped, either as part of the downloaded course or targets you have added yourself. The only "graphics" are the green just like in the grayscale unit. There are no flybys or view of the layout of the hole.

I noticed that they are offering a color upgrade discount when you trade in your gray scale. The color would still cost me more than I paid for my gray scale even with the trade in so I think I will stick with the gray scale. The trade in offer is in the members section of their website.

That is more than SkyCaddie offers in regards to any kind of upgrade path. You could always try and sell your Guru on eBay. You would probably get more than the trade-in offer.

GG just announced that current G002 grayscale models of the Golf Guru can now be traded in for an upgrade to the new G003 Color model. Additional information on this upgrade program can be found on the www.gpsgolfguru.com website. You must log in to your member account for access to this information. Once logged in, click on the "Color Upgrade" menu button to bring up the web page with the upgrade program information.

GPS Golf Guru will apply a $145 credit toward the purchase of a new Color Guru.

Glad I paid $249 this past May for the grayscale. So, let's see...$249 + $224 (the difference between $369-the $145 credit) = Yikes! I coulda bought a Upro or, heck, even hired a caddy. Thanks Golf Guru for screwing those that bought this summer.

GG just announced that current G002 grayscale models of the Golf Guru can now be traded in for an upgrade to the new G003 Color model. Additional information on this upgrade program can be found on the www.gpsgolfguru.com website. You must log in to your member account for access to this information. Once logged in, click on the "Color Upgrade" menu button to bring up the web page with the upgrade program information.

Glad I paid $249 this past May for the grayscale. So, let's see...$249 + $224 (the difference between $369-the $145 credit) = Yikes! I coulda bought a Upro or, heck, even hired a caddy. Thanks Golf Guru for screwing those that bought this summer.

How is this different from trading in used equipment when new one comes out?

See my last sentence about just buying one. I don't buy the latest and greatest after just having purchased the latest and greatest. Yeah they'll cover you if you bought one within the last 30 days but if you purchased it within the last 3 months? Why not pro-rate it. Just my opinion. Guess this technology changes as fast as puters.

See my last sentence about just buying one. I don't buy the latest and greatest after just having purchased the latest and greatest. Yeah they'll cover you if you bought one within the last 30 days but if you purchased it within the last 3 months? Why not pro-rate it. Just my opinion. Guess this technology changes as fast as puters.

I wouldn't be surprised if they would be willing to give you a special deal if you call them. About a year ago, they were interested in purchasing my SG4 so I could buy the guru but I declined. I have a Skycaddie SG5 that I really like but good luck trying to get even more than 50% from Skycaddie for the SG5 when they come with a "SG6". Also, since your unit is not obsolete maybe you could sell it on ebay at market value and get the color unit.

Try taking back a car you bought in May, and I think you better understand the meaning of the word 'screwed.'

In a world of technology that changes faster than the speed of light it is ludicrous to assume you'll have the latest and greatest much longer than a very short time.

This is just as true with golf GPS devices as most electronic devices.

The Guru offer is more than acceptable I think.

I received a Golf Guru last Thursday I won off ebay for $200.00. Sent an email for my home course and they mapped it in 6 days (2 days were weekend so 4 working days!). I played today and was astonished at how accurate they were able to define the edges of the greens. I think they map from satellite pictures but can they really be that accurate? I guess they can. I got the grayscale since color doesn't really give you anything. If they provided shading to give you an indication of the rolling I could understand, but nobody does that. Color is cosmetic for these units. Free course downloads, no membership fees - what a bargain.

Question about screen size. From view pictures on the guru website the screen of the color GURU seems a little smaller than the gray-scale unit. Where the gray-scale unit's screen extended almost to the edges of the case, the color unit has the words "golf guru" on left, this takes up some space.

While the screen resolution (sharpness) has increased from 160 x 128 to 320x240 what are we losing in the actual size of the letters?

I ask as with many of us here I use glasses to read; my current gray-scale unit has sufficient size (not using large text mode) that I can make out the distances, etc without glasses. I do have some issues reading the time and PAR display info at the bottom of the screen.

Even though the font is probably smaller will the sharpness more than make up for it? Basically will it be easier for me to see? I realize everyone's eyesight is different.

My questions:

Has anyone that uses reading glasses tried the gray-scale and then the color unit?

Was the overall viewing experience of the color guru better?

Was the small information at the bottom of the display easier to see after adjusting the screen brightness?

Thanks in advance.

Width wise, the viewing areas of the two screens are practically identical. The difference in viewing area is top to bottom. Yes, the font on the color unit is therefore a little smaller to fit the same amount of info on the screen but I personally find the black text on white background far easier to read on the color unit. And, yes, I do need reading glasses but can make out the info good enough on the color unit on the course to get by without them.

I have both. My comments were made on a side-by-side comparison and measurement. I find the high contrast display on the color unit easier to read even though the font is slightly smaller.

Phil:

Any chance you could post pictures showing the two units side by side? The color one is intriguing.

Thanks,

Unfortunately, the wife left yesterday to go visit relatives on her side of the family and took the digital camera with her. :(

Physically, the color unit is just a slight bit thicker and heavier than the grayscale (probably due to the backlight). For me, I find the grayscale almost impossible to read indoors, while the color is easily read indoors and out.

• 1 month later...

Been awhile since I have been on this forum. Just got my new Color Guru... it is a bit larger than the original and doesn't quite fit the Treo 700 case I had for the other one. Anyone have the color and if so, what case did you get to fit?

So far it is a really neat device... will use it first thing tomorrow... I can tell already the screen is soooooo much better in color.