2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Could you play a modern driver at 43"?

RCGA

What considerations would you need to take into account if you wanted to play a modern driver (stock length 45.5" give of take) at 43"?

I guess, first you'd want to manage the swingweight somehow, but would adding that much weight to the head impact CG location and spin? 

Would you want to loft up or down relative to a full-length driver? Do you want to go heavier or lighter in the shaft? 

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 18* w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

34 minutes ago, RCGA said:

What considerations would you need to take into account if you wanted to play a modern driver (stock length 45.5" give of take) at 43"?

I guess, first you'd want to manage the swingweight somehow, but would adding that much weight to the head impact CG location and spin? 

Would you want to loft up or down relative to a full-length driver? Do you want to go heavier or lighter in the shaft? 

#1 - Since you go that short, you will likely add quite a lot of weight back, so TIP TRIM becomes relevant

#2 - That depends on where that weight is added, and how much we talk about
- 43" is 3W Territory, but drivers has a COG higher than a 3W, so it takes more weight to make a driver "D3" at 43.00", vs a 3W at 43.00" as example

#3 - Since we cant predict how delivery will be, LOFT is the LAST parameter during a fitting, so no charts or "crystal balls" is helpfull to answer that question. 

Edited by Howard_Jones
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

You may also want to consider a driver that is more upright to begin with, or has upright settings.  Going shorter in length will play effectively flatter.  That could be for the better as well, so just bringing it up.

Full Bag / Short set                                                         

- Taylormade Sim

5W (17.5), 7W (20.5), 9W (23.5) - Ping G425 Max

5H - Ping G425

6i-UW / 7i, 9i, UW - Ping i210

SW - Ping Glide 3.0 SS 54.12

LW - Ping Glide 3.0 TS 60.06

P - SC Pro Platinum Laguna 2.5 
Bag - Ping Hoofer Lite / Ping Moonlite (old one with vertical strap)

13 minutes ago, Binson said:

You may also want to consider a driver that is more upright to begin with, or has upright settings.  Going shorter in length will play effectively flatter.  That could be for the better as well, so just bringing it up.

Thats not really a big concern.
Look into Tom Wishons clubs, his drivers is normally 58* while a 3W is often 57*, even if the driver is longer, so IMO, drivers is TOO upright as they are, and becomes "better" when we go shorter, and most of them has a tuning option today, so lie angle is not really a big deal here.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Howard_Jones said:

Thats not really a big concern.
Look into Tom Wishons clubs, his drivers is normally 58* while a 3W is often 57*, even if the driver is longer, so IMO, drivers is TOO upright as they are, and becomes "better" when we go shorter, and most of them has a tuning option today, so lie angle is not really a big deal here.

It's certainly less important. But, depending on what you may be currently used to, it can be a consideration if you're someone who prefers a specific look.  One of the reasons I'm in my driver is how flat it looks when set open at 45.75 length.  If I grip down 2 inches, it starts looking a bit too toe-down for my personal liking.

Again, just bringing it up as a consideration. It may be a factor for some, and can be positive or negative.   

• Like 2

Full Bag / Short set                                                         

- Taylormade Sim

5W (17.5), 7W (20.5), 9W (23.5) - Ping G425 Max

5H - Ping G425

6i-UW / 7i, 9i, UW - Ping i210

SW - Ping Glide 3.0 SS 54.12

LW - Ping Glide 3.0 TS 60.06

P - SC Pro Platinum Laguna 2.5 
Bag - Ping Hoofer Lite / Ping Moonlite (old one with vertical strap)

19 hours ago, Binson said:

But, depending on what you may be currently used to, it can be a consideration if you're someone who prefers a specific look. 

Visual issues are certainly possible.  

Some people can even have a problem with a head that big being that close to them at address irrespective of the lie angle.

That's actually one of the reasons it's better to work your way down to a particular length instead of just making a big jump.  If it is a problem, it will show up in the testing and self fitting process.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 2

Lots of great info here from some incredible and experienced minds, so hopefully you'll permit a lesser minded individual to share a bit of anecdotal stuff...

I've put a 7w shaft in my driver and hit balls at the range a couple of times for kicks.  It's definitely doable.  If I were going to seriously go that short, I'd personally be strongly considering a shaft in the 80g weight class at that length with some probable tipping and a lot of weight added to the head.  Everything beyond that (loft, lie, and moveable weight adjustments) is likely just part of the normal process of dialing in a driver head.

I have also built my driver(s) to play at 44" and that took a shaft in the 70g weight class with about 0.5" of additional tipping and about 10-14g of added weight to get it feeling right.  I'm not everyone, but I think at 43" I've probably hit the point of diminishing returns where I'm losing more distance than I'm gaining accuracy/consistency, but I find the 44" setup very playable and versatile; it's reasonable to be able to play a sort of "safe" punchy cut/knockdown shot while also being able to tee it high and let it fly.

Heads with moveable weight tracks are very helpful for this kind of tinkering.  I've done my goofing around with a Ping G410+ and a Mizuno ST200G.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Binson said:

It's certainly less important. But, depending on what you may be currently used to, it can be a consideration if you're someone who prefers a specific look.  One of the reasons I'm in my driver is how flat it looks when set open at 45.75 length.  If I grip down 2 inches, it starts looking a bit too toe-down for my personal liking.

Again, just bringing it up as a consideration. It may be a factor for some, and can be positive or negative.   

Thats a very valid point (how it looks), i did not think of that, only what lie angle itself does or not on a driver, but if it don't look right to the player, he might start with all kinds of strange compensations, just like irons with or without offset, where some need offset for confidence, others loose confidence when they see the same offset. So you was more right than i saw at first, since "looks and feel" is factors we cant ignore (they are very important), no matter what the specs themselves is... 

• Like 1

This has been a hot topic for me recently as I have been fitting some players who can't seem to hit a driver and instead rely on a 3 wood off the tee. The first pass is to replicate weights and profiles of their 3wood in an inch longer config.  Wishon has been a proponent of the 43" - 44.5" driver lengths for years, he designed the 719MW head is great for these situations, with the lightest initial head-weight in the industry and greatest weighting system on the planet.

• Like 2

Club Fitter/Builder (Wishon)

719MW  11* Red R Shaft - 919THI 11* Black S 65 shaft 
EQ1-NX 3, 927HS 5, 7 woods Red R-Flex
797HS 4 & 5 Red R Shaft 
585's, EQ1-NX, 550 combo, 575's, 565's various shafts
20+ wedges!

Wishon Cavity Black CB4 putter

Willy, Bridgy, Srixy Balls

It's a lot of trial and error.  I think a decent starting point is adding weight to the head to get about half of the lost SW back.  So call it 10g for you.  From there, testing out a heavier shaft vs. the current one and adding/removing lead tape would be a good idea.  Maybe you could just pick up some 3 wood shafts to test out.

I play my driver and 5 wood 1.5 inches short and the formula that is working is adding 7g to the head and having a 10g heavier shaft.  I used to simply add a ton of lead tape to get the SW back to D2 and this current method for me feels more balanced.  You're basically turning a driver into a 3 wood feel (heavier head and shaft).

Ping G425 Max 10.5* - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Blue 6.5 75g - 43.75 in.
Ping G425 Max 17.5* 5 wood - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Blue TX 88g - 41 in.

TM Stealth Rescue 22* 4H - Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 90s
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo - 4-PW - DG X100
Cleveland RTX 50*
Cleveland RTX-3 54*
Cleveland RTX-3 58*
Cleveland HB Soft 10.5 Putter

1 hour ago, dsmil said:

Maybe you could just pick up some 3 wood shafts to test out.

The only thing about this is that you have to understand that the differences in BBGM between fairway heads and driver heads will mean you wont get the same playing length with the driver as you did with the fairway.   Typically it will be 1/2" to 3/4" longer with the driver head than it did with the fairway.   e.g. a 3wd shaft that plays 43.5" in the 3wd will give you about 44+"  in a driver.

• Like 1

I've done this a few times in the past few years.  43", 43.25", 43.5", all sorts of fun.

The process I've used....   I add weight back to the clubhead.  The lead tape gods are pleased with me.  In some instances, I've used heavier weights from the OEMs; I've replaced the 2g weight with my Cobra SpeedZone with something considerably heavier.  I also use heavy shafts, but that's a personal preference; I have used heavier shafts even at 44.5".  90g, 100g, nothing is eliminated from consideration.

In terms of shaft flex, my aging has helped me there.  In the past, I would sometimes use 3w shafts, or tip the shaft, but as I've aged, I've been sticking with my stash of Xstiff shafts, not tipping them for install, and allowing the added club weight bring me to the flex I'm liking.

I'll add that my adding weight back to the clubhead is what I've found to work for me, I'm not just blindly doing it.  In fact, I've sometimes gone a bit heavier than I might otherwise, ramping up to D7 or D8 swingweight.

• Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

26 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

I've done this a few times in the past few years.  43", 43.25", 43.5", all sorts of fun.

The process I've used....   I add weight back to the clubhead.  The lead tape gods are pleased with me.  In some instances, I've used heavier weights from the OEMs; I've replaced the 2g weight with my Cobra SpeedZone with something considerably heavier.  I also use heavy shafts, but that's a personal preference; I have used heavier shafts even at 44.5".  90g, 100g, nothing is eliminated from consideration.

In terms of shaft flex, my aging has helped me there.  In the past, I would sometimes use 3w shafts, or tip the shaft, but as I've aged, I've been sticking with my stash of Xstiff shafts, not tipping them for install, and allowing the added club weight bring me to the flex I'm liking.

I'll add that my adding weight back to the clubhead is what I've found to work for me, I'm not just blindly doing it.  In fact, I've sometimes gone a bit heavier than I might otherwise, ramping up to D7 or D8 swingweight.

How could i forget to mention higher shaft wgt?
(5 grams uncut shaft wgt UP per inch shorter)

im getting old, and forget details like that, so its not only club speed thats slower, the head is not as sharp and quick as it was either...

• Like 3

7 hours ago, RCGA said:

460CC head size drivers were designed to be played at 45" to 46" finished length, so the first consideration is whether one would like looking at such a large head attached to a 43" shaft.

7 hours ago, RCGA said:

Yes, adding approximately 15 grams of weight to a 460CC driver head will likely cause negative consequences to shot making consistency and quality, especially too much spin. 

7 hours ago, RCGA said:

11* to 13* loft to the head with a 7-weight graphite shaft.

I'd play an 80 gram shaft instead of 70 gram.  I'd also have to add hot melt or lead tape to the sole to get the swing weight to D5. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

43 minutes ago, Nard_S said:

The new TM Burner is 43.75", great platform to work off.

I have a TM 300 mini driver (and an Original One before that) but am selling it. 

If you're not going to hit it off the deck, there's absolutely no point in owning one.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

I think it's a good application esp for the shorter 2nd driver crowd (incl the reputable Marty Jertson with a G430 Max 12° at 42.75" in his witb vid).

I'm stubbornly trying to make the short 2nd driver happen, as it's a club I don't need, but it can give pure joy.. posted in my witb link.  My approach is a low loft stinger club though.  Haven't swung it on course yet.  Not sure if I'll need more loft and spin, and would go back to a semi reliable FW wood if it doesn't work out, but you know, stubborn 😆.  It's fun though.  And yes pile on the lead tape!

image.png.457f43a91fa03e522c7e42970086c8db.png

• Like 4

D Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 4I Mizuno JPX 921 HMP, RIPα105X 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

4 hours ago, boggyman said:

I can’t give my 300 Mini away….

You can to me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Taylormade R7 Quad TP 8.5* w/ Aldila Rogue SIlver 125msi 70TX

Titleist 915Fd 13.5* w/ ACCRA FX 470 M5+

Titleist TS2 17* hybrid w/ Aldila VS Proto 'ByYou' 95X

Titleist U500 20° w/ MMT 125 TX (HSx1)

Cobra King Forged MB 4i-Pw w/ KBS C-Taper 130X

Cleveland RTX4 Raw 52/58 mid w/ Rifle Spinner 7.0
Bell 2Way Blade w/ Rifle 7.0 HSx5 + Flatcat Tak Svelte

13 hours ago, RCGA said:

I play shorter drivers. 43" T-M 300Ti w/ OG Blue, 43.5" 983E w/ X100, 44" R7 Quad TP w/ Rogue Silver 70TX 125msi, etc. My 2¢: you're gonna want a heavier smaller head and a heavier tipped shaft. As others have said. I'm anywhere between 300 and 430cc on the head, up around 210g on weight, and 75g-ish plus on shaft weight. Tipped anywhere from 1" to 3" IME. Enjoy! Much better club for me than the broomstick melonheads.

• Like 2

Taylormade R7 Quad TP 8.5* w/ Aldila Rogue SIlver 125msi 70TX

Titleist 915Fd 13.5* w/ ACCRA FX 470 M5+

Titleist TS2 17* hybrid w/ Aldila VS Proto 'ByYou' 95X

Titleist U500 20° w/ MMT 125 TX (HSx1)

Cobra King Forged MB 4i-Pw w/ KBS C-Taper 130X

Cleveland RTX4 Raw 52/58 mid w/ Rifle Spinner 7.0
Bell 2Way Blade w/ Rifle 7.0 HSx5 + Flatcat Tak Svelte

10 hours ago, joostin said:

I think it's a good application esp for the shorter 2nd driver crowd (incl the reputable Marty Jertson with a G430 Max 12° at 42.75" in his witb vid).

That Marty video is what sparked by interest. I wish they'd do a video just on the driver build but I'm not sure how much Ping wants to advertise a build that is so out of spec. 

I already have a G430 Max but the heaviest head weight I can find on Aliexpress is 36g (stock is 25g)

If cutting 2" = 12 sw points and adding +10g of headweight = 5sw points, I'd be looking at something in the C6 sw category. 

Marty must be adding an addition +25g over the stock headweight to get a reasonable swing weight. 

Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

I've been experimenting with a 41 inch driver to figure out the last club I need to play golf well.

Despite having a stroke 25 years ago, I have enough balance, coordination, and flexibility to use a long backswing to hit the ball straight down the fairway!

A rare combination at my age even without having had that catastrophic accident.

It seems I need a stronger grip than with my fade or draw to get the desired ball flight, but that doesn't seem to hurt the club head speed.  

It may be that having a long backswing allows me a better chance of getting everything properly sequenced with the right tempo and not rush things.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RCGA said:

That Marty video is what sparked by interest. I wish they'd do a video just on the driver build but I'm not sure how much Ping wants to advertise a build that is so out of spec. 

I already have a G430 Max but the heaviest head weight I can find on Aliexpress is 36g (stock is 25g)

If cutting 2" = 12 sw points and adding +10g of headweight = 5sw points, I'd be looking at something in the C6 sw category. 

Marty must be adding an addition +25g over the stock headweight to get a reasonable swing weight. 

Ping driver heads are notoriously heavy vs the rest of the industry.  I doubt he added anywhere near 25 grams to that head.  The 430 max standard head weighs 206 grams with the standard 25 gram rear weight.  His playing length is basically at 3 wood length and a standard 3 wood head is around 215-218 grams, so we are only talking about 9-11 grams.  Seems like a 36 gram rear weight would be ideal.

Edited by jblough99
  • Like 1

Driver: Cobra Darkspeed X 9* Tour 2.0 Black 65X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 14* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 19.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Irons:  PXG 0317 CB 5-GW KBS Tour 130X

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 54S Modus 125W

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 58S Modus 125W

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: Titleist Pro V1