GPS Golf Guru - Any thoughts on this?

I've had my guru for 9 months. it works great except for one flaw in which I want to pass to other users.

don't try to add a target to a "my course" while you're playing it. It crashes after you save the course, and turns off. Then when you turn it back on, the my course is corrupted at the hole you added the new target on forward. I learned my lesson the hard way, as it crashed on the 3rd hole, and I couldn't use the guru thereafter, because I didn't have a duplicate saved. For this reason, I keep the community course saved, whenever I play a "my course". I've played "my courses" without incident so far, but have taken this precaution. They are in the process of fixing this flaw.

I've also requested to customer support that the target distances continue to show, after a shot is marked, and you're ready to select a club and location for your next shot. Many times I mark the ball, and the club and location screen appears, then I have to back out, to review the yardage, if I'm distracted or forget to mentally select the next club, when I'm ready to mark the initial shot location.

Has anyone else experienced this?

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had my guru for 9 months. it works great except for one flaw in which I want to pass to other users.

don't try to add a target to a "my course" while you're playing it. It crashes after you save the course, and turns off. Then when you turn it back on, the my course is corrupted at the hole you added the new target on forward. I learned my lesson the hard way, as it crashed on the 3rd hole, and I couldn't use the guru thereafter, because I didn't have a duplicate saved. For this reason, I keep the community course saved, whenever I play a "my course". I've played "my courses" without incident so far, but have taken this precaution. They are in the process of fixing this flaw.

I've also requested to customer support that the target distances continue to show, after a shot is marked, and you're ready to select a club and location for your next shot. Many times I mark the ball, and the club and location screen appears, then I have to back out, to review the yardage, if I'm distracted or forget to mentally select the next club, when I'm ready to mark the initial shot location.

Has anyone else experienced this?

No, I have not had any crashes at all. I've added targets to Mycourse without issue.

What version software are you running? 2.03 is current.

I haven't used marking much, but I don't recall targets not showing.

Andy,

I've been using 2.03, since it was released.

Have you added targets to a "my course" while you are playing it? That's where I'm having the crashes. Sometimes it has worked.

I believe you misunderstood my marking comment. The targets and their yardage don't show when you mark the location of your next shot. A screen appears, asking for the club and location, so if you're unsure whether you want to use the predetermined club, you must select "menu- edit marks", and then change the club. Also the yardage doesn't show on that screen either, so you could use the back button, but I believe that voids your original shot, so you then have to mark that, then select your club mentally, then press mark, then the club selection again. A lot of contorted action. If the target yardage, continued to appear, after you marked the location of your next shot, then you had time to change your mind on club selection, before saving it and committing to the shot.

Really enjoying this purchase. I mapped out a course that they couldn't, uploaded it and they cleaned it up. I've used it a couple times now and it has been great. The tracking of my yardage with each club is a real neat function. I haven't uploaded anything for handicap purposes yet, but I will when I get a couple more scores into it.

I have had a Golf Guru for a year now and have been nothing but impressed with the unit, their upgrades and support. But I subscribed to the US Handicap service and it never worked properly with the GPS. The main problem was the inability to edit scores on their site. The Golf Guru has a habit of recording a par for the 10th hole when recording 9 hole scores that would be transmitted to the handicap service. It also would transmit a par score for the first hole for a course if you mistakenly went into a course to play. I ended up with a -25.5 index - look out Tiger!

At any rate, I sent multiple, specific emails to their customer support that were completely ignored. I copied Golf Guru on two of them that were acknowleged by Amanda but US Handicap continued to ignore them. I bought a GHIN card last month from a local course for $40 bucks. I still keep score on my unit and add them over the web from Golf Guru's recent scores page. I resisted posting anything about this until now, but unless somehting has changed dramically, stay away from US Handicap. BTW - I get free handicap card stickers at any local course I play - you get to cut and double-stick tape it from USH.

I have had a Golf Guru for a year now and have been nothing but impressed with the unit, their upgrades and support. But I subscribed to the US Handicap service and it never worked properly with the GPS. The main problem was the inability to edit scores on their site. The Golf Guru has a habit of recording a par for the 10th hole when recording 9 hole scores that would be transmitted to the handicap service. It also would transmit a par score for the first hole for a course if you mistakenly went into a course to play. I ended up with a -25.5 index - look out Tiger!

At any rate, I sent multiple, specific emails to their customer support that were completely ignored. I copied Golf Guru on two of them that were acknowleged by Amanda but US Handicap continued to ignore them. I bought a GHIN card last month from a local course for $40 bucks. I still keep score on my unit and add them over the web from Golf Guru's recent scores page. I resisted posting anything about this until now, but unless somehting has changed dramically, stay away from US Handicap. BTW - I get free handicap card stickers at any local course I play - you get to cut and double-stick tape it from USH.

tlputer,

Thanks for posting this. I had been wondering if the US Handicap service was any good and was contemplating a subscription. I'll pass at this point based on your comments.

Regarding the Guru recording a 10th hole score when you are playing only 9, I too had this problem. At the suggestion of GG customer service, I turned off auto hole advance and set it to prompt me. Now when I'm only playing 9, and it prompts me to advance to the next hole, I just say no. This is a very easy solution and I no long have 10 hole rounds transmitted to GG.

Otherwise the GG is an outstanding GPS device with outstanding support.

Perhaps it's a case of GG support being so great that US Handicap seems so poor, but now that GHIN allows web entry of your rounds and can be had resonably through many men's clubs, etc. it seems the way to go for me. The stat tracking capabilities could be important to some, if it works reliably. Hope Rich Beem is making mad cash from that endorsement....

Thanks for the tip regarding the auto-advance, that is sure to be the problem.

Alas, these GPS things remind me of my youth, when 12 months with a perfectly wonderful girlfriend, you run into that hot mysterious Euro chick - That uPro is tempting me into unpure thoughts. BTW - I still carry (and use) a three year old Bushnell Laser that my wife thinks I sold on eBay when I got my GG.

Last Note - Saw SG4 bubble-packed units at Costco for $144 - Assume they were new. Reminds me of the Razor marketing theory - "Give away the GPS and make it up in subscription fees"

After reading all the positive reviews here and elsewhere, I took the plunge on a Golf Guru. They were sold out on refurbs so I picked up a new B&W version. I've had a Golf Buddy for a year now but I couldn't take the inconsistent yardages anymore.

Rangefinders are great but I'd rather have something I can get yardages from at just a glance. No frills accuracy, that's all I'm asking for.

Probably my last post on this thread, but I went to Golf Galaxy this afternoon and ran through a actual running demo unit and seeing the great color screen and flyovers and came to my senses (for what they are) and bought a Sun Mountain C-130 cart bag for my Clicgear instead.

The continual Golf Guru (free) upgrades with features like club specific marking etc, brought me back from straying to a unproven buyout product. I feel like others that the rebate may be more related to a new product more than just helping retail partners move merch. Maybe it is just the long delay in upgrading the software to add score keeping, etc. from uPro, but I will stay with my current GolfGuru for another season. I check distances often with my laser and they are always dead on.

Looks like the new Guru 4 is out. Just placed my order.

Dubbed the GURU 4 SoftTouch for its 3.5 inch, high-resolution color touch screen, this new model has many exciting new features and will, initially, be priced lower than the current Color GURU 3 unit. We are attaching a preliminary brochure with more details on this new offering.

The Guru 4 SoftTouch includes all the features found in our original grayscale and color models. The Guru 4 will be able to access our current “Standard” map database, which now has over 20,000 courses (no fees for these maps). In addition, we will be offering our new AerVu (Aerial View) maps as an option. The AerVu maps have a full, tee to green graphical view of the hole and incorporate our "Shot Plan" feature that allows you to get a distance from your location to any point on the hole, while showing the remaining distance to the center of the green from the point you pick. Some of the other exciting features of the new Guru 4 are the capability to act as a full featured vehicle navigation system (software optional – coming soon), along with the included ability to play music, play videos, and view pictures. We thank-you for your consideration of the color Golf Guru as your golf GPS solution, and we hope you will take advantage of our great introductory offer

I also got the email about the Guru4 but I'm concerned the unit may be too big.. also , in the pictures with the green, it appears they don't fully utilize the size of the larger screen..

Finally, they didn't mention how much will be the updated courses..

I hope it works out at the end but I'll hold for a little while..

oh no they're killin' me. seems an obvious answer to the uPro features. i've never used a uPro. was never curious really since the guru is so solid what more could i want? of course, maybe the guru 4 is the "more" in what i could want. i would think they learned a lot from their first product. it was a bit slow going w/ the original to get all the features but worth the wait. maybe the 4 will be solid right out of the box. can't wait for the reviews. pretty penny though. probably won't really consider unless they do another exchange/upgrade program.

I have been using the US Handicap site for a couple of months now. I have no trouble importing scores or editing scores. From the time you sync your guru until the handicap revision date, you can edit delete or add scores to be included in that revision. If you are importing partial scores or have scores not recorded on the guru, you can maintain those as well. The revisions are on a schedule that they have posted on their site. I have not paid for a membership as I don't need an official handicap, but the free service for recreational purposes displays a card exactly like an official handicap card.

oh no they're killin' me. seems an obvious answer to the uPro features. i've never used a uPro. was never curious really since the guru is so solid what more could i want? of course, maybe the guru 4 is the "more" in what i could want. i would think they learned a lot from their first product. it was a bit slow going w/ the original to get all the features but worth the wait. maybe the 4 will be solid right out of the box. can't wait for the reviews. pretty penny though. probably won't really consider unless they do another exchange/upgrade program.

Just got the e-mail for the Guru 4. Crossing my finger that exchange plan is there, or my buddy's getting one at great price.

wow, maybe i will consider. they ARE doing an exchange plan. still need to hear feedback from people using it though. not going to be the guinea pig :p. got this in my inbox today:

http://www.gpsgolfguru.com/members/guru4-upgrade

With no user reports or reviews it *is* a leap into the unknown, BUT.. they're making it super attractive for existing owners to upgrade, with really little risk: A $145 credit for my gray scale unit brings the Guru4 price down to $215 after trade in, and I get 30 days to decide whether to keep it or hang on to my grayscale unit and return the Guru4 for a full refund.

Lack of a holster is annoying, but hopefully there's something out there that'll fit. At my home course where I walk I'll have no problems velcro mounting it on my Speedcart, as I do now with the greyscale unit.

Steve

I also got the email about the Guru4 but I'm concerned the unit may be too big.. also , in the pictures with the green, it appears they don't fully utilize the size of the larger screen..

Finally, they didn't mention how much will be the updated courses..

Size wise it's hard to say, but it actually seems a little smaller than the photos suggest, about the same as the diminutive Garmin Nuvi 350. Compared to Garmin's G5 golf unit, it's 1/2" shorter but 1/2" wider, and somewhat thinner, 1" vs the G5's 1.4".

Not easy to find the map pricing, but it is there on their website: http://www.gpsgolfguru.com/component/content/article/84 . Basically the current (non graphical) courses will continue to be free, the "Aervu" courses will be $9.50 per course purchased individually, with various discounts if you pre-purchase a larger number of courses, going down to $7 if you prepay for 10.

Steve

I emailed them with some questions and here are the answers:

We are still in negotiations with the third party software provider for the navigation option so we are not sure what the exact cost will be, but I can tell you it should be no more than $79 USD for the upgrade. Included in the upgrade price will be the window mount. Stay tuned to our website for more information on this feature.

The Guru4 is 4x3x1".

Thank you for your interest.

Chad

Golf Guru Support

Upro 'Promode' courses are cheaper, but only when bought in bulk amounts .. they start at $10 when bought individually (basically same as the GG), go down to $6 per course when you buy 10 at a time (versus $7 per course for the GG). *However*, the Upro courses get a lot cheaper if you buy a larger number package, which GG may need to address in their pricing model. They may all get cheaper - we can only hope.. Competition is GOOD thing.

I expect that the trade off against the Upro will be the touchscreen based software with basic graphics versus the Upro's prettier graphics, but cursor keys based software. The more natural competition for the GG may prove to be the Garmin. I'm sure each will have their fans.

Steve