GPS Golf Guru - Any thoughts on this?

Pflogger,

If I am reading your note correctly, there is a later version of 1:18 that resolves all the self mapping issues?

I am still on the fence about going from 1:14 to 1:18

Maestro,

Yes, I am running version 1.28. I think I get offered new versions early because I map a lot (or use to anyway). I had added a couple of targets to one of the regular course maps and ended up getting the 999 issue with all greens on the "My" version of the map. None of the targets would show up either. I loaded 1.28 and went out and did the exact same additions and it worked perfect. Since I was testing this version, I added all kinds of targets to another version of this download not intending to keep it in the long run. I added up to 20 targets on one hole just for grins. I also re-mapped several greens where I moved them away from the original green, like you would need if your course moved a green location and it was not on the original Guru map, or if you had a green on a downloaded map that was off compared to others.

All in all, I have not seen this version present any problems, and I've been running it about a week and a half. I live on a golf course, so I can walk out the back door and start mapping or editing after getting off work. I also play a lot in the evening as the twilight rate with a cart is only 16 bucks after 4 and you can get in a full 18. Since I do play late into the afternoon or early evening, I thought about getting one of the color Gurus. It's almost dark when we get done sometimes and it's hard to see the Guru screen. The color looks interesting. I've already given the wife hints about this year's Christmas present.

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will simply need to be extra careful that the guru is pointed exactly in the correct direction, with my ball, near icon and far icon all aligned

Mr Putts,

I think you're hung up somewhere with the mental picture of what the guru is presenting on the lcd screen. The Guru is telling you that if you hit a perfectly straight shot from your current position, your ball would travel exactly over the triangle icon or near position, then travel over the pin position, and then finally over the far (square) icon, assuming you hit a shot that flew over the green.

The Guru doesn't care how you, or the device is positioned. Think of it this way...using a straight edge, draw a line on your Guru screen with a marker. Start at the far distance (square), and draw it through the pin, then through the near( triangle) icon, and on out till you run out of screen. Somewhere along that line that extends out from the green graphic will be your current position. As you move, that line moves with you, and shows you the exact points on the green your shot will pass over given it is hit in a straight line. Lasers need an exact alignment, the Guru does not. That's the nice thing about GPS receivers.

I will simply need to be extra careful that the guru is pointed exactly in the correct direction, with my ball, near icon and far icon all aligned

Mr Putts,

I think you're hung up somewhere with the mental picture of what the guru is presenting on the lcd screen. The Guru is telling you that if you hit a perfectly straight shot from your current position, your ball would travel exactly over the triangle icon or near position, then travel over the pin position, and then finally over the far (square) icon, assuming you hit a shot that flew over the green.

The Guru doesn't care how you, or the device is positioned. Think of it this way...using a straight edge, draw a line on your Guru screen with a marker. Start at the far distance (square), and draw it through the pin, then through the near( triangle) icon, and on out till you run out of screen. Somewhere along that line that extends out from the green graphic will be your current position. As you move, that line moves with you, and shows you the exact points on the green your shot will pass over given it is hit in a straight line. Lasers need an exact alignment, the Guru does not. That's the nice thing about GPS receivers.

I am only referring to blind shots, when I can't see the pin or the green, just a hill or mound that completely blocks my view. The course I play most is hilly by design and has long, blind approach shots on 2 holes.

Stand at your ball with the guru pointed at the green. Don't move your feet but turn the unit 180 deg. Since the green graphic is static and you haven't moved, the green, near and far icons stay the same. If you were to hit along the line on the guru, you would be hitting it back towards the tee (turn it 90 deg, same thing, but you would be hitting it O.B instead of towards the tee).

On blind shots, lacking a rotating green graphic, the guru is only good for distance, not alignment. From a totally blind approach, you need to figure out your line on your own. Something the Skycaddie does that the guru doesn't. Not a biggie, but a consideration.

I thought my unit or the software might be flawed, but this is simply something that guru doesn't do. Or perhaps my unit is flawed. The functionality I described is exactly how my unit operates, if other units behave otherwise, then it is my guru / software.

Mr Putts,

I am only referring to blind shots, when I can't see the pin or the green, just a hill or mound that completely blocks my view. The course I play most is hilly by design and has long, blind approach shots on 2 holes.

Stand at your ball with the guru pointed at the green. Don't move your feet but turn the unit 180 deg. Since the green graphic is static and you haven't moved, the green, near and far icons stay the same. If you were to hit along the line on the guru, you would be hitting it back towards the tee (turn it 90 deg, same thing, but you would be hitting it O.B instead of towards the tee).

On blind shots, lacking a rotating green graphic, the guru is only good for distance, not alignment. From a totally blind approach, you need to figure out your line on your own. Something the Skycaddie does that the guru doesn't. Not a biggie, but a consideration.

I thought my unit or the software might be flawed, but this is simply something that guru doesn't do. Or perhaps my unit is flawed. The functionality I described is exactly how my unit operates, if other units behave otherwise, then it is my guru / software.

It sounds to me like your Guru is working as it should. Course maps are a series of waypoints, specific geographical coordinates. The unit will always show the yardage from the unit to those mapped points. It doesn't make any difference how you turn the Guru or which direction you face, the Guru is going to show you the distance to the center of the green and to near and far points on a line through the center (or through the pin if you approximate the pin location using the joystick). If I look at my SkyCaddie and turn 180 degrees facing away from the green, the display does not change, either. Quite frankly, I have never tried using a golf GPS to give me the line to the green on blind shots. I use it for distance.

Mr Putts,

It sounds to me like your Guru is working as it should. Course maps are a series of waypoints, specific geographical coordinates. The unit will always show the yardage from the unit to those mapped points. It doesn't make any difference how you turn the Guru or which direction you face, the Guru is going to show you the distance to the center of the green and to near and far points on a line through the center (or through the pin if you approximate the pin location using the joystick). If I look at my SkyCaddie and turn 180 degrees facing away from the green, the display does not change, either. Quite frankly, I have never tried using a golf GPS to give me the line to the green on blind shots. I use it for distance.

The guru is my first golf gps. I simply assumed it would provide a blind shot line, I realize now that it will not. Not a deal breaker, just confusion regarding a perceived feature that guru doesn't have (and doesn't claim to have). The unit functions extremely well in every other regard and I am very pleased with it. The next software upgrade is going to include at least one very nice feature, and I am sure that this trend will continue.

If I had it to do again, I would still get a guru. I would buy the color unit, but the color and increased memory isn't enough to make me upgrade from my 6 week old grayscale. The guru fits in my pocket, the readings are fast and accurate, the battery stays charged for at least two rounds and the course downloads are included at no additional cost.

What you are describing is only found in moving map displays, generally in aviation where a compass is tied to the GPS. No Golf GPS can do this. If all you did was rotate, a car gps couldn't even do this, as they rely on your directional movement, and rotation does provide enough movement for the GPS to realize you may be headed off in another direction.

Let's say you pile the kids in the car to head down toward the local ice cream shop. You have your fancy car navigation gps system running and it's set up to talk to you. You turn out on the main road and need to travel down that road for 1 mile before you have to turn off. Your GPS hollers out "Go 1 mile on (insert road name here), then turn left at Ice Cream Drive. About a half mile down the road, you turn around to slap one of the cute little buggers in the rear seat, cuz they keep kicking you in the back. So now your facing the wrong direction. Your facing back the way you came. Is your GPS going to holler out "Whoa, wait a minute, your going the wrong way" just because you turned your head around.

If you were to pick that car up and rotate it 180 deggrees, and then drive it in reverse toward that ice cream shop, your GPS would still show the same picture on the display. It wouldn't change a bit, and it would still keep telling you that your are on the right track. It doesn't care which direction your facing, it just knows where your destination is relative to your position, and knows that you are still generally moving in the right direction.

you turn around to slap one of the cute little buggers in the rear seat, cuz they keep kicking you in the back. So now your facing the wrong direction. Your facing back the way you came. Is your GPS going to holler out "Whoa, wait a minute, your going the wrong way" just because you turned your head around.

I said turn the GPS UNIT 180 degrees, I never thought or said that a GPS unit would recognize which direction I was facing, that would not be logical.

If you were to pick that car up and rotate it 180 deggrees, and then drive it in reverse toward that ice cream shop, your GPS would still show the same picture on the display. It wouldn't change a bit, and it would still keep telling you that your are on the right track. It doesn't care which direction your facing, it just knows where your destination is relative to your position, and knows that you are still generally moving in the right direction.

I thought that a GOLF GPS unit would recognize which direction it was pointed. As I acknowledged in an earlier post, I now realize that they do not do this.

I understand that you realize that by turning the GPS another direction, the image is not going to change, however you are still saying:

On blind shots, lacking a rotating green graphic, the guru is only good for distance, not alignment. From a totally blind approach, you need to figure out your line on your own. Something the Skycaddie does that the guru doesn't. Not a biggie, but a consideration

The Skycaddie, on blind shots, will not help you out anymore than the Golf Guru will. Neither is going to give you a "bearing" to the green. They are both presenting the exact same informtion, that is, they are giving you the distance to the nearest point of the green from your location, and the farthest point of the green from your location (in addition to center or pin distance). What they are really telling you is the "depth" of the green. Whether you rotate the green, or icons around the green, you get the EXACT same information.

If you are shooting at a green over a hill and cannot see it, your still going to have to walk up to the top of the hill to see exactly where the green is so you will have general idea of which direction you should be facing when you hit your approach shot. It's not going to matter whether you're carrying a SkyCaddie or a Golf Guru. Neither is going to tell you WHERE the green is, only the distance to it.

I understand that you realize that by turning the GPS another direction, the image is not going to change, however you are still saying:
On blind shots, lacking a rotating green graphic, the guru is only good for distance, not alignment. From a totally blind approach, you need to figure out your line on your own. Something the Skycaddie does that the guru doesn't. Not a biggie, but a consideration

The Skycaddie, on blind shots, will not help you out anymore than the Golf Guru will. Neither is going to give you a "bearing" to the green. They are both presenting the exact same informtion, that is, they are giving you the distance to the nearest point of the green from your location, and the farthest point of the green from your location (in addition to center or pin distance). What they are really telling you is the "depth" of the green. Whether you rotate the green, or icons around the green, you get the EXACT same information.

If you are shooting at a green over a hill and cannot see it, your still going to have to walk up to the top of the hill to see exactly where the green is so you will have general idea of which direction you should be facing when you hit your approach shot. It's not going to matter whether you're carrying a SkyCaddie or a Golf Guru. Neither is going to tell you WHERE the green is, only the distance to it.

This is all just a rehash. All of the issues and misunderstandings were resolved, in this thread, prior to your 8:43 post.

I had been told the SkyCaddie green image rotated in the display as you rotated the unit. I assumed that the guru would do the same. However, phil75070 made it clear that the SkyCaddie did not do this.

If I look at my SkyCaddie and turn 180 degrees facing away from the green, the display does not change, either.

I replied and indicated that I clearly understood that the guru would not provide a line for a blind shot.

The guru is my first golf gps. I simply assumed it would provide a blind shot line, I realize now that it will not.

Your most recent post quotes one I made at 7:45 pm, while selectively ignoring the one at 8:20 indicating that I understood that the unit will not provide a bearing. As of my 8:20 post all of the issues and had been resolved, no more misconceptions here.

Yes, I am running version 1.28. I think I get offered new versions early because I map a lot (or use to anyway). I had added a couple of targets to one of the regular course maps and ended up getting the 999 issue with all greens on the "My" version of the map. None of the targets would show up either. I loaded 1.28 and went out and did the exact same additions and it worked perfect. Since I was testing this version, I added all kinds of targets to another version of this download not intending to keep it in the long run. I added up to 20 targets on one hole just for grins. I also re-mapped several greens where I moved them away from the original green, like you would need if your course moved a green location and it was not on the original Guru map, or if you had a green on a downloaded map that was off compared to others.

Did they say when version 1:28 will be available for general use?

It has to be soon as I believe the color unit ships with version 1.20, which is the same as version 1.28 in the grayscale unit. The color display, BTW, is awesome! It is backlit and the level of backlight has two settings, dim and bright, and you can set the delay time before it goes off, the quicker it turns off the more battery life on a charge. It is quickly restored upon pushing any button.

The new marking feature is kind of nice but needs some refinement. You can record the club and lie. One glitch, in my opinion, is if you select "Tee" as the lie, it seems to measure from the scorecard placement of the tee and not where you are standing. Recall that you can select the tee when you choose the course to play. In one case on Sunday, with version 1.28, I "marked" on the tee and was 54 yards behind where it thought the tee should be. Instead of a 282 yard drive it showed 228. I am not sure how this information can be used in subsequent rounds, yet...... In the club selection field, it does not list hybrids, nor can you choose a gap wedge or lob wedge.

And there is a later version of the Utility on the website now available for download, 2.0.1.5.

It has to be soon as I believe the color unit ships with version 1.20, which is the same as version 1.28 in the grayscale unit. The color display, BTW, is awesome! It is backlit and the level of backlight has two settings, dim and bright, and you can set the delay time before it goes off, the quicker it turns off the more battery life on a charge. It is quickly restored upon pushing any button.

The new marking feature is kind of nice but needs some refinement. You can record the club and lie. One glitch, in my opinion, is if you select "Tee" as the lie, it seems to measure from the scorecard placement of the tee and not where you are standing. Recall that you can select the tee when you choose the course to play. In one case on Sunday, with version 1.28, I "marked" on the tee and was 54 yards behind where it thought the tee should be. Instead of a 282 yard drive it showed 228. I am not sure how this information can be used in subsequent rounds, yet...... In the club selection field, it does not list hybrids, nor can you choose a gap wedge or lob wedge.

And there is a later version of the Utility on the website now available for download, 2.0.1.5.

How do you see the results of the shot/distance track - seperate software?

How do you see the results of the shot/distance track - seperate software?

You can see each mark you set in a menu option on the unit itself. I have not seen any documentation or explanation as to how it might work otherwise.

This may have been covered in the previous 16 pages, so I apologize. Is the club selection feature etc on the Guru USGA conforming?

Since it is only showing historical data and not "suggesting" a particular club, I don't see why not. You could just as easily carry around a chart with you that lists your average distance with each club and I don't think that would be against the Rules. Not having used this club distance table extensively I am not completely sure of its functionality over more than one round.

A new version of the Utility has been released (2.0.2.0) and a new version ofthe software (2.0) for both the new color and the grayscale units. This version of the software seems to have fixed all of the previous problems with these units. You can map courses from scratch, you can edit downloaded courses, hiding targets you don't want and adding others you do. You can remap the green. Statistics keeps track of score, # of putts, GIR, GIR %, FIR, FIR% and putts/GIR. With scoring you can view the scorecard. The unit now correctly adjusts for DST and the time is always displayed on the status bar at the bottom of the screen.

The marking feature adds the ability to include what club you hit and from what "location" (tee box, fairway, rough, bunker, etc.). The list of clubs does need to be modified as it does not include hybrids or gap and lob wedges, but that is the only thing I can find fault with. You can then save this data for later review after the round.

I have mapped our driving range and short game areas from scratch, I have modified targets on my downloaded home course, including remapping a couple of greens, I have renamed courses, played today and kept score and stats and marked many shots on the course and everything worked flawlessly! Distances seemed to be right on.

The display on the color unit is a backlit display and really looks nice. It is high contrast and you can adjust the brightness level (4 levels to choose from) and how long it stays on before going to sleep. It quickly (30, 60, 90, 120 sec). It quickly comes back on when any button is pushed.

I think they have got it right this time and it is truly a winner in my estimation.

A new version of the Utility has been released (2.0.2.0) and a new version ofthe software (2.0) for both the new color and the grayscale units. This version of the software seems to have fixed all of the previous problems with these units. You can map courses from scratch, you can edit downloaded courses, hiding targets you don't want and adding others you do. You can remap the green. Statistics keeps track of score, # of putts, GIR, GIR %, FIR, FIR% and putts/GIR. With scoring you can view the scorecard. The unit now correctly adjusts for DST and the time is always displayed on the status bar at the bottom of the screen.

The marking feature adds the ability to include what club you hit and from what "location" (tee box, fairway, rough, bunker, etc.). The list of clubs does need to be modified as it does not include hybrids or gap and lob wedges, but that is the only thing I can find fault with. You can then save this data for later review after the round.

I have mapped our driving range and short game areas from scratch, I have modified targets on my downloaded home course, including remapping a couple of greens, I have renamed courses, played today and kept score and stats and marked many shots on the course and everything worked flawlessly! Distances seemed to be right on.

The display on the color unit is a backlit display and really looks nice. It is high contrast and you can adjust the brightness level (4 levels to choose from) and how long it stays on before going to sleep. It quickly (30, 60, 90, 120 sec). It quickly comes back on when any button is pushed.

I think they have got it right this time and it is truly a winner in my estimation.

Thanks for the update(s) - I still do not know how you "see" your stats & round info. Club table - I cannot fnd anything in the menu.....

Thanks for the update(s) - I still do not know how you "see" your stats & round info. Club table - I cannot fnd anything in the menu.....

During your round, at the top of the screen looking left to right you have View, Hole, Scoring. Push the button above scoring. In the scoirng window you input your score, number of putts and answer yes or no to GIRs and FIRs then "save". In that view there should be the word Stats. Push the button above that see them. There is also the ability to see your "scorecard".

To see the "club distance tablle", which is just the ability to see each shot you marked, go to 'menu'...'Edit marks'. This would only be with software version 1.28 and above on the grayscale unit or 1.20 and above on the color unit.

I was confused by the new feature and it took a while to figure out. In fact, I am still trying to figure out full functionality as they are still working on updating the manual.

Ok I got it now - Was a bit confusing, now I can run through paces this afternoon & tomorrow and add back my targets so do not read 999!

While development has been a little slower than I had hoped, this is still one fantastic/solid unit!! Looks like you have color one too, your thoughts -I am certainly considering.

I had bought a V300 - but sold it as just didn't compare! Color was nice though.

Thank you, you have been very helpful to those reading this thread.

It was my understanding that once you powered off the Guru, you lost any scorecard/stat information. Is this still true, or does it remain in the memory of the unit after it's powered off?

Does the ability to easily upload this information to your PC exist yet? (outside of technical exploitation of the XML file)?

I will have to double check your first point. I just checked scoring and stats out to really see if it works. I do know that the "marks" you saved in the club distance table are still there to be reviewed after turning the unit off.

There is not much more they are going to do with this software for a while in regard to additional features since it is pretty stable. The start of the previous problems were when they tried to add features, in particular the editing of downloaded courses; it led to all sorts of problems. However, one of the projects they indicate they are going to look into is how to utilize those xml files that the unit creates.

To answer your question about the color version, rcncgolf, it is much improved over the grayscale as far as the screen and viewing the information goes. One of the problems with the grayscale was that the contrast wasn't very high and was not adjustable and there was no backlight. So in very dim lighting conditions or indoors the screen was hard to read. The color screen is a fairly high resolution, high contrast, backlit screen. The background is white making everything extremely easy to read. Text is black against this white background. Really, the only other color introduced is in the green view.

The software and all of the features on both the grayscale and the color units are identical.

cannot locate my round files - not sure if stored elsewhere or not, I have note into them .The distance feature is interesting - but must remember where you are... - I kept forgetting to mark tee box... However I was able to review what I did on a hole, will try again tomorrow.....now that I understand a little better.

Looks like due to Vista - placed them elsewhere.....

Have found them - all there - support walked me through it, quickly I will add..... Does not look like the distance table is included.

I downloaded latest version to my Guru this weekend. Seems to work okay except for one glitch. A new feature sorts the courses by distance from your location. Works fine for downloaded courses, but the courses I mapped myself are shown as 5286.1 miles away. Anybody else have this problem? I sent a message to Guru Support about it but no response yet.

Both my courses & premapped courses showed up & in correct distance order - the range was first ([email protected]) then the course itself (.2) then the others in the area, starting at 5miles.

Likewise. All of my self-mapped (Range and Short Game Area) and edited courses (one) show up in the correct order. I start my unit up a good 5-10 minutes before I actually pick the course so maybe make sure that WAAS is enabled???

I downloaded latest version to my Guru this weekend. Seems to work okay except for one glitch. A new feature sorts the courses by distance from your location. Works fine for downloaded courses, but the courses I mapped myself are shown as 5286.1 miles away. Anybody else have this problem? I sent a message to Guru Support about it but no response yet.

Guru Support comes through again. Turns out that when you download courses from My Mapped Courses (courses you mapped yourself and uploaded to that folder) you must Edit and Save the course for the distance-to-course calculation to work. Incidentally, my mapped courses were deleted from my Guru because the updated website does not automatically check your Mapped Courses when synchronizing. Any courses not checked when you synchronize will automatically be deleted. So if you plan on downloading new courses and have courses that you mapped in My Mapped Courses folder, be sure you check to see they are selected for use.

Guru Support comes through again. Turns out that when you download courses from My Mapped Courses (courses you mapped yourself and uploaded to that folder) you must Edit and Save the course for the distance-to-course calculation to work. Incidentally, my mapped courses were deleted from my Guru because the updated website does not automatically check your Mapped Courses when synchronizing. Any courses not checked when you synchronize will automatically be deleted. So if you plan on downloading new courses and have courses that you mapped in My Mapped Courses folder, be sure you check to see they are selected for use.

Were these courses you had mapped with a previous version? If so, maybe that is why I did not see the same issue as what I have mapped was with the current version.