2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Mini 460cc Driver Showdown

BJL

w/ Joe Kwok & ascdga
Over the last week, I, along with ascdga and Joe Kwok, have conducted a mini-460cc driver showdown. Special thanks to Joe for all the marvelous clubwork and shafts.

I expect Joe and ascdga to chime in, but here are my observations. After trying most domestic drivers available this summer and fall from TM, Nike, Cleveland, Callaway & Titleist, I settled on comparing the FT-3, R5 and Bridgestone J33 460. They were all shafted by Joe with the Rombax 7V05, x-flex, untipped.

By way of background, my driver ss is about 110mph. My previous gamers include the 9.5* 983K w/ CP-02 and 9.5* R510TP w/ 671TE. By way of reference, I averaged about 270 yds with the R510TP.

This summer, I switched to the 8.5* R5 w/ Fujikura Rombax combo, which Joe encouraged me to try. For those who know me, know that I am a cynical bastxxx when it comes to proclaimed quantum leaps in distance through the latest fads. BUT, I seriously picked up about 15 yards of total distance when I switched from the R510 to the R5 w/ Rombax. It was crazy. The R5 has been in the bag ever since. So, all my comments will use the R5 as the point of reference.

APPEARANCE: The R5 is classic Taylor Made, which means the head has a roundish shape - no pears here. If you like Taylor Made's shape, then this is no different. The FT-3 is pretty ugly to my eye. The break in the crown and overall triangular shape does not fit my eye. The J33 is very nice. A very plump pear look. Not quite Titleist, but a hides its 460cc very nicely. Nice bulge in the face as well (compare the flat face of the TM). All three drivers had square faces.

FEEL AND SOUND: Joe did a great job installing a tungsten plug on my R5 where the "N" badge is at the rear of the head. This has muted the feel and sound of the R5. Not quite R510TP solid, but better than the R7. The FT-3 has a nice "doink" sound, which is more typical of composite heads these days. The FT-3 feels and sounds better than the Cleveland Comp, however. One thing I did not like about the FT-3 was that it felt very light and insubstantial during the swing and impact. Maybe I just don't like the comp heads. The J33 was again the winner here. It feels like a R510TP. Very solid. Nice head note coming from this jumbo, too. The best feeling and sounding 460cc head around.

FORGIVENESS: All three heads were comparable in terms of forgiveness. The R5 tends to be more forgiving on thin and toe hits, while the J33 is better off the heel. The FT-3 liked being hit high on the face, but not thin. Again, all three heads were pretty forgiving.

DISTANCE: With all three drivers shafted with the same shaft, there was not too much differentiation here, either. The R5 was an 8.5*, while the other two were 9.5*. The R5 has the highest launch, with the J33 a comparatively low hitting driver. The FT-3 had a perfect launch, and felt the most explosive off the face. That did not translate into more distance, however. All three drivers hit within 5 yards of each other.

OVERALL: For me, the J33 was the overall winner by virtue of its looks, sound and feel. Just fits the eye. All drivers are equally forgiving (albeit in different ways) with comparable distance. These three heads represent the best on the market today.

FINAL COMMENTS:

I honestly believe that driver heads are approaching maximum distance, which makes sense with COR limits. All three of the drivers tested here, when shafted with identical shafts, yielded about the same distance. More than ever, the key is finding the right launch and spin characteristics, which is a combination of the head and shaft.

For me, the most significant factor in gaining distance (w/o major swing modifications) is switching to the Rombax. It's a high launch, low spin monster. Tight dispersion, too. Put in any 460cc head, and you'll see a difference. Rombax!!!

Thanks again to Joe - the Rombax peddler. He's still the best in the business, and knows what works for his customers.

BJL

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

nice report.... dont forget to come one and all early this sunday...

I'll have the J33R/PM902X

and the FT-3 / 7FTB combo

and yes I want to try Joe's FT-3/Rombax combo...

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

nice report.... dont forget to come one and all early this sunday...

I'll have the J33R/PM902X

and the FT-3 / 7FTB combo

and yes I want to try Joe's FT-3/Rombax combo...

69963[/snapback]

I wish I was coming. I will be dealing with ice and snow and salt. This J33 has been getting some great reviews.

Great report.

I didn't get the shipment in yet but, I will bring some drivers that are S flex for the lesser mortals. :tongue:

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

Mines aren't as new as your guys:

Which ones do you want me to bring*

RX-1 315 w/CP-02

Proto smaller head 510 TP w/553

J340 w/CP-02

983e w/Mitsuibishi Lightning

X-Drive 390 w/Tour AD

*All S-flex btw.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

My name is ascdga and I am a club ho.....

This is my testimony:

I am one of the most sceptical people you'll meet when it comes to supposed huge distance gains with the driver. I need to see it to believe it. And more often than not I don't see it. So what I am about to write is near blasphemy in my book.

BJL has found the optimal setup for his swing. R5 Type N, Rombax X flex, 44.5", D3. He gets more out of his swing speed with that setup than any driver he's hit since I've known him. I'm still not sure how or why. I will be videotaping his swing soon to see if there is something to discover there.

Today he asked me for my opinion on how many yards he's gained. I told him that I honestly am not sure because I never used to pay attention to how far he used to hit it as he was usually some ways behind most of us. So I had no point of comparison. Now he's at least as long and sometimes longer. This has caused me much grief because I've had to spend a hefty sum of money in order to regain air superiority, not to mention having to endure the frequent screams of "ROMBAX!" from BJL every time he nutted one. So, I got an identical R5 setup with the Rombax and though I did not see the same distance gains as BJL (that would have been too much to ask) I definitely gained a few yards. Enough to put it past him on good hits. The Rombax is quite an amazing piece of technology if your swing is suited to it. I really believe that it is one the best shafts for larger heads. It's no wonder TM is using a version of it as a stock shaft in the new R7's.

I'll have to disagree with BJL on the FT-3. I think, FOR ME, it is about 5-10 yards shorter than average on an identically set up R5, J33 460, and Nike SQ. Plus, I dislike the sound and feel of it. But that's just me.

J33 460 is THE BEST feeling head of the bunch for sure.

Botttom line is there is nothing like a properly fitted driver setup for your swing. I and many of my Bay Area bretheren are at a distinct advantage for having played several rounds with Joe. He knows our swings - our tendencies - our quirks. This along with his keen eye and knowledge of the latest golf technology allows him to make excellent equipment recommendations. And although he is getting to be a rather crotchety, ornery, eccentric old man the stuff he builds is second to none.

If you've got a 460cc driver and you feel you might not be getting the most out of it I recommend you give the Rombax a try. You may be surprised.

Mines aren't as new as your guys:

Which ones do you want me to bring*

RX-1 315 w/CP-02

Proto smaller head 510 TP w/553

J340 w/CP-02

983e w/Mitsuibishi Lightning

X-Drive 390 w/Tour AD

*All S-flex btw.

69980[/snapback]

I always love hitting the J340. Never tried one with a CP-02.

BJL

69982[/snapback]

J340/Cp02 is a great combo... that goes back many years for me..wish I kept that one

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

What more should i say here to make it sound that i'm not selling a "snake oil"?

I'm speechless the way it is now! :D

However, I must say that I'm hurt by you all calling me an old man :help: , Is this because you guys can't do much w/ me on the course and still kept on picking on me from the mental sides of me?

bastxxx! :D

I do regret giving BJL an encouragement to go w/ the Rombax, now he can't keep his mouth shut when he nutted one especially.

Anyway, The time will come for us to find the right combo to kick his sorry Word not allowed. Remember I've discover a MS swing!!! :D

Remember this phrase: "I'm in love all over again, be afraid my friend" ;) :nono: :lol: :tongue:

Joe :yes: