2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Titleist 905 Distance

tincup_62

I've been contemplating getting a 905T or 905S, as I'd like to go back to a driver with more feel, and have previously played and had success with the 975D, 975J, and the 983K. I currently play a tour weighted KC 450sz with V2 75x shaft. My swing speed is 120-125 and I have a relatively quick tempo. I do not expect a 905 to go as far as my Cobra (315 avg), but want it to be within at least one club.

However, I had a very disappointing experience with a 905T in a simulator last week. Granted, I was only able to hit 9.5 versions with stiff shafts (nv65, speeder, graff blue) and I normally play a lower loft with an xflex, but the results were very discouraging. With ball speeds of 178-183 the best distance I could get with any of the 3 shafts was 285, and the avg was 275. As a point of reference, I also hit a 9.5 r5 n with an nv65 stiff (I don't even really like this shaft) and was consistently getting 310 with a high of 318. Unfortunately the simulator did not list spin rates, which I assume was too high for the 905 and part of the reason for the lack of distance. However, the 905 was still 25 plus yds behind an r5 in the same specs. I realize using an 8.5 with a V2, Damana 83, or 757 would obviously bring the spin rate down, but the r5 with the same set up would also gain some distance. I also understand the 905S spins less, which could potentially increase distance, but have not seen any claims that its distance is any greater than the 905T if both are set up correctly. I'd like to go with a Titleist, but not at the expense of 25 or more yds, so I may have to look at something else such as a r5 tp. Are those of you with 905's satisfied with your distance, and what set up do you have?

Would appreciate feedback. Thanks.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been contemplating getting a 905T or 905S, as I'd like to go back to a driver with more feel, and have previously played and had success with the 975D, 975J, and the 983K. I currently play a tour weighted KC 450sz with V2 75x shaft. My swing speed is 120-125 and I have a relatively quick tempo. I do not expect a 905 to go as far as my Cobra (315 avg), but want it to be within at least one club.

However, I had a very disappointing experience with a 905T in a simulator last week. Granted, I was only able to hit 9.5 versions with stiff shafts (nv65, speeder, graff blue) and I normally play a lower loft with an xflex, but the results were very discouraging. With ball speeds of 178-183 the best distance I could get with any of the 3 shafts was 285, and the avg was 275. As a point of reference, I also hit a 9.5 r5 n with an nv65 stiff (I don't even really like this shaft) and was consistently getting 310 with a high of 318. Unfortunately the simulator did not list spin rates, which I assume was too high for the 905 and part of the reason for the lack of distance. However, the 905 was still 25 plus yds behind an r5 in the same specs. I realize using an 8.5 with a V2, Damana 83, or 757 would obviously bring the spin rate down, but the r5 with the same set up would also gain some distance. I also understand the 905S spins less, which could potentially increase distance, but have not seen any claims that its distance is any greater than the 905T if both are set up correctly. I'd like to go with a Titleist, but not at the expense of 25 or more yds, so I may have to look at something else such as a r5 tp. Are those of you with 905's satisfied with your distance, and what set up do you have?

Would appreciate feedback. Thanks.

Although it's tough to tell from my signature, I'm a real Titliest Ho. I've tried the Pings, Callaway, TM's and keep coming back to Titleist. So my response is probably biased. I love my 905S, I just had an Accra SC75 put in it to replace a V2 and it got even better. That being said, with the right set up I don't think you can go wrong with Titleist. For me, I know it's mental but I hit it just as long or further than anything else.

With that in mind, I'm sure your spin rates were out of control with the 905's. With the right shaft (low torque, low spin) I bet you'll get all the distance you're used to.

Ive got the 905T 9.5* w/Speeder 757.... i had the E and wanted the S but decided to go with the T its a little more forgiving even though it spins the ball more which is why im hittin gthe ball a little too high. I love the shaft and the combo i think an 8.5* would be best, in my previous 3 drivers i had 8.5* decided to go to 9.5* just that little bit more conrtol. Ill be getting a 905R or c with either the speeder 757 which ive had in my last 3 drivers, the diamana 83, or the V2

DaN "goose"

PXG 0811X 10* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0341X 15* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0317 19* w/ Tensei Blue 80X<br />PXG 0311T 4-W w/ Nippon Modus 130X<br />PXG 0311 50*,55*,60* w/ Modus 130X<br />Scotty Cameron Circle T Newport 2

You really need to get totally fit in loft and shaft. If you have the wrong loft, or shaft, or BOTH in a Titleist driver (especially the 905 series) YOU WILL NOT HIT IT ANYWHERE!!

That's my experience.

One can't just grab one and "demo" it. All you are doing is demo-ing a driver that doesn't fit you. That tells you NOTHING!

:)

The T is definitely the best Titleist driver yet...I have had them all. I too am a Titleist Ho when it comes to drivers. On several occassions I have tried other brands only to find I have wasted my money and then go back to Titleist. My current configuration is the 905T 9.5 degree with Graffaloy Blue stiff shaft. Longest straightest driver yet for me. Absolutely loved my 983K, but with the 905T I easily get 15-20yds more carry with a ton of roll.

Titleist 913D2 9.5* Grafalloy PL Red
Titleist 913F 15* Diamana S+
Titleist 913H 19/21/24* Diamana S+
Cobra Amp 5-GW
Ping Tour-S 56 & 60*
Ping Sydney

I go with some of the other posts - try the 905S. I play the S with a more manageable shaft (Fuji Tour Platform 26.3 S) than the heavy shaft big hitters who have replied to this post. The S head is great and there is definitely a lot less spin and a more flat and boring flight than the T (I should know I've got a T as well). If you find the right shaft to suit your game, the 905S is a great buy - really can't understand all the antipathy towards the 905 from some quarters. Can't see me buying a 905R if it comes out as the S is about as good as I've hit or bought.

Drawmerchant

You really need to get totally fit in loft and shaft. If you have the wrong loft, or shaft, or BOTH in a Titleist driver (especially the 905 series) YOU WILL NOT HIT IT ANYWHERE!!

That's my experience.

One can't just grab one and "demo" it. All you are doing is demo-ing a driver that doesn't fit you. That tells you NOTHING!

:)

Thanks for the feedback, and I do agree with your assessment for the most part, as I am a low index player and all of my clubs have been set up for my swing.

However, as a Titleist fan I was somewhat surprised that an off the rack 905 did not measure up to an r5 in similar specs (I'm not knocking TM), and wanted to get others opinions on the 905 before buying one. I don't know about you, but not many places near me have drivers with tour weight xflex shafts that you can demo. I also realize that there are many variables unique to each specific club that play a part in performance, but it wasn't like I was hitting an r5 in 8.5 with a 757x, so I was surprised that there was such a large disparity in distance. In my experience, starting back with the 975D, one thing I always believed was that if you had to pick up a store version of a driver, Titleist would typically outperform any similarly set up competitors version.

Also, I believe a first time demo can tell you something. If nothing else, you can start to gauge look, clubhead feel, and the address position of a standard version, regardless of how the club is eventually set up.

That's my experience.

:cheesy:

Thanks for the feedback, and I do agree with your assessment for the most part, as I am a low index player and all of my clubs have been set up for my swing.

However, as a Titleist fan I was somewhat surprised that an off the rack 905 did not measure up to an r5 in similar specs (I'm not knocking TM), and wanted to get others opinions on the 905 before buying one. I don't know about you, but not many places near me have drivers with tour weight xflex shafts that you can demo. I also realize that there are many variables unique to each specific club that play a part in performance, but it wasn't like I was hitting an r5 in 8.5 with a 757x, so I was surprised that there was such a large disparity in distance. In my experience, starting back with the 975D, one thing I always believed was that if you had to pick up a store version of a driver, Titleist would typically outperform any similarly set up competitors version.

Also, I believe a first time demo can tell you something. If nothing else, you can start to gauge look, clubhead feel, and the address position of a standard version, regardless of how the club is eventually set up.

Thanks to everyone who responded. Based on the majority of comments, I believe I will try to pick up an 8.5 905S on ebay and throw in a V2 or 757. Again, I appreciate all of your input.