2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Pure Motivation

ezra76

and a little preview of Side by Side
This is what motivates me to have hit 9 buckets of balls between Sun. and Mon. My wrist is swollen and back a little sore but I'll be back out tomorrow for 3-4 more and video. This is a screenshot taken from the new side by side which will be coming on SwingAcademy soon. I'm helping to test it for the owner of the site right now and it's almost ready to go.

Also any comments on postional differences, anything I need to do to get closer to his postions would be welcome.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

None taken, he can outdrive me by 50yds. and outscore me by 30strokes. I'd hope that the longest hitter pound for pound on tour would be a little more flexible. He's a little younger too. :partytime2: This is by no means the "end" of my backswing BTW. This is about 5 frames before I stop, lol. I've got a huge overswing and lift with the arms I'm trying to shorten. CH3 just happens to be the swing I've found the most similarities in postions with to me and he's relatively similar build. I'm 6'1" 150. Like the title says though, this is what motivates me and makes me think "what if?".

Note how CH's left shoulder is over his right hip, he has shifted his right hip slightly more targetward than yours in his backswing. You can also see this in the spinal tilt away from the target and the angle of his right leg. That move would also help you to maintain the right knee bend and help to keep you from over swinging. Just my opinion, good luck.

edit:

Here is a video clip that has been posted before and better describes what I was talking about. You obviously don't do what he is saying bad players do, but CH does this move slightly more than you do IMO.

I have been down that road of trying to copy someone's swing.

It doesn't work. Or rather it doesn't work miracles. Forget about positions and learn alignments. That's what will improve your ball flight. The aligments will in turn create better positions. This is why there are pretty swings that cannot play a lick and ugly ones that win big tournaments.

You can only improve your ball flight if you improve your impact. Improving Impact will often improve a lot of other stuff.

This is what motivates me to have hit 9 buckets of balls between Sun. and Mon. My wrist is swollen and back a little sore but I'll be back out tomorrow for 3-4 more and video. This is a screenshot taken from the new side by side which will be coming on SwingAcademy soon. I'm helping to test it for the owner of the site right now and it's almost ready to go.

Also any comments on postional differences, anything I need to do to get closer to his postions would be welcome.

Yep, cervical spine/head is on an entirely different angle.......as a result the eyeline is too (which can cause a problem or two in the downswing).........and you've limited your ability to "wind up" a bit........overall it's a nice backswing IMOP.........

Your camera angle looks to be higher than that of CHIII -- and your shoulders/spine still look more upright than his. Looks like you've lost your bend at the hips and have turned your left shoulder around (and not down). Seems like you'd have to drop your upper body down at the ball in order not to top it from there.

That being said, my swing may look a heck of a lot worse! lol (I really need to get mine on camera. I could learn a lot from it, I'm sure.)

/< / /2 /<

PS -- I followed CHIII for a few holes at Baltusrol a few years ago. Man, can he crush the ball!

Note how CH's left shoulder is over his right hip, he has shifted his right hip slightly more targetward than yours in his backswing. You can also see this in the spinal tilt away from the target and the angle of his right leg. That move would also help you to maintain the right knee bend and help to keep you from over swinging. Just my opinion, good luck.

edit:

Here is a video clip that has been posted before and better describes what I was talking about. You obviously don't do what he is saying bad players do, but CH does this move slightly more than you do IMO.

Thanks. I actually took this video the very first day after I saw that video and started to work on the move. I've got this shot from the back on a drive later on in the "session". I'm still working on that as #1 thing for now till I get it ingrained.

I have been down that road of trying to copy someone's swing.

It doesn't work. Or rather it doesn't work miracles. Forget about positions and learn alignments. That's what will improve your ball flight. The aligments will in turn create better positions. This is why there are pretty swings that cannot play a lick and ugly ones that win big tournaments.

You can only improve your ball flight if you improve your impact. Improving Impact will often improve a lot of other stuff.

Impact is actully pretty good and getting better. I'm not trying to "copy" his swing as much as use it as a guide to compare since it's the one I've got that looks most like the positions I already get to at some point in the swing. Like CH3 I deloft my irons a lot as well, I don't believe I've played with anyone in 4yrs. that's longer with any iron. I hit a PW lower than my buddy hits a 3iron and longer than his 9. His driver SS is 8mph. faster than mine though.

Yep, cervical spine/head is on an entirely different angle.......as a result the eyeline is too (which can cause a problem or two in the downswing).........and you've limited your ability to "wind up" a bit........overall it's a nice backswing IMOP.........

Thanks. I've been working the last 2 days at the range to rid my habit of "looking back" the clubhead. I worked for so long on a 1 piece takeaway that I got this bad habit of following the club with my eyes to make sure my belly and the butt of the shaft were going back together. I've seen my head actually moves back to almost excactly where CH3's stays when I start the downswing, which also coincides with a "dip" of the shoulders, also almost exactly like the postion he's maintained the whole time. Thanks for the compliments though, hopefully I can say this is really my backswing in another 6-8 months.

Your camera angle looks to be higher than that of CHIII -- and your shoulders/spine still look more upright than his. Looks like you've lost your bend at the hips and have turned your left shoulder around (and not down). Seems like you'd have to drop your upper body down at the ball in order not to top it from there.

That being said, my swing may look a heck of a lot worse! lol (I really need to get mine on camera. I could learn a lot from it, I'm sure.)

/< / /2 /<

PS -- I followed CHIII for a few holes at Baltusrol a few years ago. Man, can he crush the ball!

Well you got that one right. I do drop my upper body as soon as I start my downswing. So turning the left should more down would help to get to that postion without having to "drop"? It's not something I consciously think of, just what I must have been doing for years to hit the ball. Also this pic is me with a 45.75" driver and him with a 2iron off the tee... he got me by 5yds. :partytime2: