2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Forget the one-piece takeaway?

jwo

setting the wrists early- good or bad?
In the Nov. 2007 issue of Golf Digest an article by Jerome Andrews teaches setting the wrists very early and simply turning to the top. Also in the current GD David Leadbetter is showing the exact same move. I tried it today at the range and man was I hitting everything solid. Carried the bottom of the fence 270 yards away.Irons were very solid too. Felt very strange though as for the last year or so I have been trying to keep my hands quiet and as a result lost some distance but gained accuracy. This swing feels very "handsy" but I was pretty happy after one range session. Any takes on this from any of the teachers here or any one else that has tried this swing? BTW I am 5'11" 240 obviously thick chested and this swing felt more comfortable and natural for what thats worth. thanks

PXG 0811X+ proto 10.5 Aldila NV blue
Cobra F9 3 wood
PING G410 3 hybrid Tensei blue 
Srixon Z585 4-pw Modus 105
PING Glide 2.0 50* KBS Tour
PING Glide 2.0 56* KBS Tour
TM high toe big foot 60*
Scotty Phantom X 5.5
Srixon Zstar

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your comfortable setting the hands early I think its great a lot of good players have done it. I have always set early but while I am turning I try to extend my arms establish with at the same time I set my hands.

I am guessing if you get too narrow its a bad thing if you maintain witdth it can be a good thing.

My wrists set themselves. I keep a nice light grip pressure and it's amazing what your body will do for you.

For me it's the feeling of turning my ribcage away from the target, pausing at the top and then just relaxing my arms while I turn my chest back through the ball. The wrists take care of themselves. For me, that just happens to be not quite half way back. IOW, the club gets to hip high before my hands do.

YMMV

I get too narrow with a concentrated early wrist set resulting in fat shots. I guess I lose focus on making a good turn. When my turn and timing are good the results are as you have experienced. When they aren't it is ugly and the course super picks up my divots to sell on the fur market. I'm back to one-piece takeaway.

Ive been around Leadbetter teaching quite a good bit. The whole idea behind it is that, you set your wrist and turn your sholders and bam.. your at the top. Taking alot of the backswing out of the picture for error.

Just be careful that your hands dont start shutting/closing the club down at the hinge, just make sure you are keeping that face square.

If you want a swing aid, that helps you do this and makes sure your face is square. Pick up the swingyde aid, its easy to use and very good.

http://store.davidleadbetter.com/ProductIn...ductid=SWINGYDE

Joe Dante promoted this in his 4 Magic Moves book around 40 years ago, it is still a good system. I think TGM also teaches something called "arm extensor" which sets the wrist early by applying a downward pressure on the left thumb with the right hand. Both methods help keeping the left arm straight and assist with maintaining the clubface on plane, they also prevent the left wrist from swatting.

Joe Dante promoted this in his 4 Magic Moves book around 40 years ago, it is still a good system. I think TGM also teaches something called "arm extensor" which sets the wrist early by applying a downward pressure on the left thumb with the right hand. Both methods help keeping the left arm straight and assist with maintaining the clubface on plane, they also prevent the left wrist from swatting.

Extensor action is simply the steady effort to straighten the bent right arm...but you can cz the left arms there like a checkrein...i think setting the wrists early depends on the type of golfer and golf swing :drinks:

I normally set my wrists early in the takeaway, but I have been having problems with ball striking recently. Three weeks ago, I changed to a one piece takeaway and successfully defended my club championship with it. If nothing else, it helps me control my tempo better.

By setting my wrists early, I too often end up leaving my clubface open at impact. I am now a convert to the one piece take away for the first time ever. If you ask me next year, who knows? I may be back to setting them early. Whatever works.

Leadbetter and O'grady are both advocates of an early wrist set. The potential advantage is that it can prevent the shaft and clubhead from getting off plane in the mid-backswing (particularly for players that get too flat and laid off) and therefore there's less chance of the clubhead getting loopy in the transition. The potential disadvantage is that some players will get too narrow and steep.

So if your problem is getting the shaft too flat 1/2 way back (pointing outside the ball when the left arm is parallel to the ground), this is something worth trying IMO.

If you keep your right elbow down in the takeaway, the right elbow bending will automatically help to set the club so that no conscious hand & wrist action is required. That's the way I prefer to do it. Still can achieve width without getting too flat.

Leadbetter and O'grady are both advocates of an early wrist set. The potential advantage is that it can prevent the shaft and clubhead from getting off plane in the mid-backswing (particularly for players that get too flat and laid off) and therefore there's less chance of the clubhead getting loopy in the transition. The potential disadvantage is that some players will get too narrow and steep.

So if your problem is getting the shaft too flat 1/2 way back (pointing outside the ball when the left arm is parallel to the ground), this is something worth trying IMO.

If you keep your right elbow down in the takeaway, the right elbow bending will automatically help to set the club so that no conscious hand & wrist action is required. That's the way I prefer to do it. Still can achieve width without getting too flat.

Mac sets the club early cz his wrist is already turned to the inclined plane...nothing else for it to do but **** and uncock....leadbetter on the other hand is a different deal