Expert eyes!

2 hours ago, Varry_Hardon said:

Anything glaring that needs a rebuild, maintenance, cleanup?

7 Iron from 165.

Not much to say here. Nice swing. I do see slight sit in the heels in the beginning of the backswing and further sitting in the heels on the downswing. Watch your head come back a touch. Also, you have a small flip release. Notice how at impact the handle is raised and the arms are pretty straight. Great for driver. I'm guessing you bomb it. But for irons, it can create inconsistency. You sort of stop rotating and slap the ball, rather than than swing through the ball. Notice how in the finish the clubhead moves left of your body before your hands and the club works up, rather than around to the left. The swing should be a stroke, not a slap. I would work on keeping the club moving left through impact. You have a great transition, its just your arms kind of stop and straighten.

Mizuno ST180 9.5, Tensei CK Blue S 60g

Mizuno ST180 15 (16), Tensei CK Blue S 60g

Mizuno CLK 2020 3H 19, Tensei CK Blue S 70g

Snake Eyes TC-01 (4-P), S300 (130g)

Cleveland CBX2 52, DG 115

Callaway MD5 56 & 60, S200

Odyssey White Hot #2 (Steve Stricker's putter)

MCC in woods, Lamkin Crossline, Srixon Z Star

3 minutes ago, slytown said:

Not much to say here. Nice swing. I do see slight sit in the heels in the beginning of the backswing and further sitting in the heels on the downswing. Watch your head come back a touch. Also, you have a small flip release. Notice how at impact the handle is raised and the arms are pretty straight. Great for driver. I'm guessing you bomb it. But for irons, it can create inconsistency. You sort of stop rotating and slap the ball, rather than than swing through the ball. Notice how in the finish the clubhead moves left of your body before your hands and the club works up, rather than around to the left. The swing should be a stroke, not a slap. I would work on keeping the club moving left through impact. You have a great transition, its just your arms kind of stop and straighten.

Thanks and awesome analysis right off the bat, every word actually, impressed! I've been slapping it and trying to figure out the root causes since all the exhibits are there, as you mentioned. Been practicing 9-3 swings, flamingo, legs together drills to try and engrain the low/left, not run of off right arm/right side bend feels, and obviously a more 'complete'/around follow through - works like a charm. But there's something that is thrown off with full swing, that requires me to compensate, slap it to save it. Awesome rounds when the timing is on, not so much on other days. Trying to pinpoint it

42 minutes ago, Varry_Hardon said:

Thanks and awesome analysis right off the bat, every word actually, impressed! I've been slapping it and trying to figure out the root causes since all the exhibits are there, as you mentioned. Been practicing 9-3 swings, flamingo, legs together drills to try and engrain the low/left, not run of off right arm/right side bend feels, and obviously a more 'complete'/around follow through - works like a charm. But there's something that is thrown off with full swing, that requires me to compensate, slap it to save it. Awesome rounds when the timing is on, not so much on other days. Trying to pinpoint it

Those drills are good, especially the 9-3. That should be your pre-shot routine for every shot. It basically trains the arc at the bottom of the swing, which every swing from putter to driver is.

• Thanks 1

Mizuno ST180 9.5, Tensei CK Blue S 60g

Mizuno ST180 15 (16), Tensei CK Blue S 60g

Mizuno CLK 2020 3H 19, Tensei CK Blue S 70g

Snake Eyes TC-01 (4-P), S300 (130g)

Cleveland CBX2 52, DG 115

Callaway MD5 56 & 60, S200

Odyssey White Hot #2 (Steve Stricker's putter)

MCC in woods, Lamkin Crossline, Srixon Z Star

First face on would tell better  but appears you just spin and have no lateral shift - so hips out race upper body and you can't really push hard with the lead leg in the downswing - why you have late hip extension in follow thru and "saggy butt" look (could also be that you are trying hard to avoid early extensin and keep your butt back  - you also appear to have what dr kwon calls late shoulder acceleration - that high arm finish is a signature - you are trying to hit hard thru impact with upper body.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

26 minutes ago, glk said:

First face on would tell better  but appears you just spin and have no lateral shift - so hips out race upper body and you can't really push hard with the lead leg in the downswing - why you have late hip extension in follow thru and "saggy butt" look (could also be that you are trying hard to avoid early extensin and keep your butt back  - you also appear to have what dr kwon calls late shoulder acceleration - that high arm finish is a signature - you are trying to hit hard thru impact with upper body.

Great observations, as usual. EE was a concern when picking up the game and trying to get open hips, so might have ingrained that keeping the butt back feeling + hips outracing the upper body motion. I'll look into Dr Kwon's later shoulder acceleration concept, that's new to me.

1 hour ago, Varry_Hardon said:

Great observations, as usual. EE was a concern when picking up the game and trying to get open hips, so might have ingrained that keeping the butt back feeling + hips outracing the upper body motion. I'll look into Dr Kwon's later shoulder acceleration concept, that's new to me.

you likely won't find much on line about the late shoulder accel - he talks about it in his level II certification classes but I can include some  charts here

in a study of 66 elite swings he saw this pattern in 5 - basically there is an early uncocking followed by peak velocities of hips/arms being delayed and happening much closer to impact except the shoulders continue to accel thru impact.     So more typical is velocities peak by early downswing which is shaft vertical but the late shoulder the peaks happen closer to shaft parallel with the shoulder continuing to acel.    He likens it to folks that put more effort into impact versus early downswing.     

1032333099_Screenshot2023-05-08at2_52_49PM.png.1802fe184786014f701968a894a02da8.png

Now can only really tell if we had your kinematic sequence but as noted below the large follow thru is a tell.   

He has data analysis that does show folks with this pattern are costing themselves chs compared to the "normal" group.

This is a different study on xfactor and kinematic sequence in which 15 folks displayed the lsa pattern.

265120524_Screenshot2023-05-08at2_38_15PM.png.5a42fb6fe4037f585d0eee534a4691bd.png

If you watch Kwon's reprogramming or be better videos you'll see him coaching folks into his ideal pattern - even folks with good swings have picked up better sequencing and speed - the guy from fit for golf was attempting to gain speed and working with Dana D and last year he was stuck at 118-120 (yeah I know poor him) - he had a reprogramming session a few months back and last I looked at his instagram he was over 130.   

All that said you already play really good golf so doing a  simple drill to get the knees etc more active might be worth a shot.

Dana had Jason Gore doing a great drill for this in his prep for a run the champions tours.     It is simple and effective including the swing trigger.    Idea is to get your right side as high as you can.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CohtSWqoW8A/?hl=en

Todd C with the drill too.  https://www.instagram.com/p/Cen48YwFXAJ/

Edited by glk

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

4 hours ago, glk said:

you likely won't find much on line about the late shoulder accel - he talks about it in his level II certification classes but I can include some  charts here

in a study of 66 elite swings he saw this pattern in 5 - basically there is an early uncocking followed by peak velocities of hips/arms being delayed and happening much closer to impact except the shoulders continue to accel thru impact.     So more typical is velocities peak by early downswing which is shaft vertical but the late shoulder the peaks happen closer to shaft parallel with the shoulder continuing to acel.    He likens it to folks that put more effort into impact versus early downswing.     

1032333099_Screenshot2023-05-08at2_52_49PM.png.1802fe184786014f701968a894a02da8.png

Now can only really tell if we had your kinematic sequence but as noted below the large follow thru is a tell.   

He has data analysis that does show folks with this pattern are costing themselves chs compared to the "normal" group.

This is a different study on xfactor and kinematic sequence in which 15 folks displayed the lsa pattern.

265120524_Screenshot2023-05-08at2_38_15PM.png.5a42fb6fe4037f585d0eee534a4691bd.png

If you watch Kwon's reprogramming or be better videos you'll see him coaching folks into his ideal pattern - even folks with good swings have picked up better sequencing and speed - the guy from fit for golf was attempting to gain speed and working with Dana D and last year he was stuck at 118-120 (yeah I know poor him) - he had a reprogramming session a few months back and last I looked at his instagram he was over 130.   

All that said you already play really good golf so doing a  simple drill to get the knees etc more active might be worth a shot.

Dana had Jason Gore doing a great drill for this in his prep for a run the champions tours.     It is simple and effective including the swing trigger.    Idea is to get your right side as high as you can.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CohtSWqoW8A/?hl=en

Todd C with the drill too.  https://www.instagram.com/p/Cen48YwFXAJ/

Thanks for those, love the details on the kinematic chain and I’m probably guilty of that LSA pattern as my swing thought in transition is to try and ‘delay’ it not to have the upper body spin out (think Justin Rose drill) but that probably throws the sequence off and I can attest to trying to ‘have speed’ at the bottom rather than in early downswing / late peaks. Food for thought and it’ll try to work on those feels at the range. Love Dr Kwon’s info and have watched many of the reprogramming videos posted on his thread here. Makes total sense.

Looks like your backswing is initiated by your arms, instead of your torso. So you take away your arms, and your arms then turn your body. I would do try the one piece takeaway and let the body lead more instead of the arm. What can help with that is keeping the left arm a bit straighter. The left arm is slightly bent now in your backswing.

And at impact I feel like you could use the ground a bit better and your lead leg could be a bit more extended.

Edited by SGT

19 hours ago, SGT said:

Looks like your backswing is initiated by your arms, instead of your torso. So you take away your arms, and your arms then turn your body. I would do try the one piece takeaway and let the body lead more instead of the arm. What can help with that is keeping the left arm a bit straighter. The left arm is slightly bent now in your backswing.

And at impact I feel like you could use the ground a bit better and your lead leg could be a bit more extended.

My initial thought on takeaway is indeed hands/arms related, to keep the hands on the toe line and to limit leaft forearm pronantion (trying to). But still an inside takeaway with my right hip moving right off the bat also, drawing the club in. 

Agree on using GRF, feel in transition is a left hip pushback (and pressure going in the heel, from a combo : trying to regain left leg flex and not 'crowding' the ball). Should pressure even earlier in the left toes (and more forcefully) to anchor the left hip pushback and extension later on, better pivot, low/left. Can't grasp that concept correctly, always working on this

2 hours ago, Varry_Hardon said:

My initial thought on takeaway is indeed hands/arms related, to keep the hands on the toe line and to limit leaft forearm pronantion (trying to). But still an inside takeaway with my right hip moving right off the bat also, drawing the club in. 

Agree on using GRF, feel in transition is a left hip pushback (and pressure going in the heel, from a combo : trying to regain left leg flex and not 'crowding' the ball). Should pressure even earlier in the left toes (and more forcefully) to anchor the left hip pushback and extension later on, better pivot, low/left. Can't grasp that concept correctly, always working on this

If i understand the feel you are describing of left hip pushback in transition then I would say this is a downswing feel not a transition feel - transition feel can be a fall to the lead side and lead foot gaining pressure - pushing doesn't start until the downswing and certainly going into the heel is when you are well into the downswing.    So this can be an example of what Dr Kwon means when he says you have to prepare your body in the backswing - so my take is this is likely a key to your sequencing issues - you are doing things in the downswings that need to happen earlier, ie the shift and resulting movement of pressure so you can actively push the ground with the lead foot in the downswing.

this is all part of doing the shurn rhythm

push the wall then turn as hard as you want and let it go

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3VFqOclYxU/

All this is setup by having a fast backswing and especially having your backswing speed peak early - shortly after p2 - so the momentum of the club/arms continues the body rotations and allows for a controlled decel into the top - the club being so light works against using the body to throw the club back (it's pretty natural to overpower the club with the upper body).   This is why using a weight to swing is a great dril cause you need to more actively use the body to swing it - Dana D often talks about guys throwing the club back - so if you have a cinder block in your hands you'd definitely use your body to toss it to your right as far as possible.    Again for this the focus needs to be on pushing the ground - slight trigger to the left then push with the ball of left foot to shift entire body slightly to the right and then push hard with the ball of your right foot - harder you push the faster you can turn in the backswing - you're arms and hands are pretty educated already so you to trust their motion and drive if more by changing focus to what you are doing with your feet.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEQ3X7ZyveQ/?hl=en

Sorry if this is too long winded.

• Thanks 1

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

An old DD lesson that is a great example of what I was talking about in last post.   Basically training the shurn rhythm a different way.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDow8ZhD-pD/

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

2 hours ago, glk said:

If i understand the feel you are describing of left hip pushback in transition then I would say this is a downswing feel not a transition feel - transition feel can be a fall to the lead side and lead foot gaining pressure - pushing doesn't start until the downswing and certainly going into the heel is when you are well into the downswing.    So this can be an example of what Dr Kwon means when he says you have to prepare your body in the backswing - so my take is this is likely a key to your sequencing issues - you are doing things in the downswings that need to happen earlier, ie the shift and resulting movement of pressure so you can actively push the ground with the lead foot in the downswing.

this is all part of doing the shurn rhythm

push the wall then turn as hard as you want and let it go

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3VFqOclYxU/

All this is setup by having a fast backswing and especially having your backswing speed peak early - shortly after p2 - so the momentum of the club/arms continues the body rotations and allows for a controlled decel into the top - the club being so light works against using the body to throw the club back (it's pretty natural to overpower the club with the upper body).   This is why using a weight to swing is a great dril cause you need to more actively use the body to swing it - Dana D often talks about guys throwing the club back - so if you have a cinder block in your hands you'd definitely use your body to toss it to your right as far as possible.    Again for this the focus needs to be on pushing the ground - slight trigger to the left then push with the ball of left foot to shift entire body slightly to the right and then push hard with the ball of your right foot - harder you push the faster you can turn in the backswing - you're arms and hands are pretty educated already so you to trust their motion and drive if more by changing focus to what you are doing with your feet.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEQ3X7ZyveQ/?hl=en

Sorry if this is too long winded.

Excellent analysis and drills, thanks! This makes total sense, a more active backswing peaking early speed wise that 'allows time' to setup the top+transition phase, without rushing anything downswing related. Which, when rushed tends to bring the pulls (usual miss) created by the tiny out-in path. Need to set up the downswing better, way earlier than it is happening now. Thanks again!