Porzac - Hip Bump

Video below - Was it Porzac that came up with this move? Anyone elaborate on how it helps with less lower back strain but gets the best angle for the turn behind the ball?

Very interesting little move. But just kind of weird that there are little moves that people come up with. Aren't these types of things what lead to problems down the road?

Thoughts would be appreciated. 

I have to do the hip bump to counteract, or neutralize, my own swing faults. I set up too open and my spine angle tilts toward the target at the top of the back swing. Setting up with the hip bump allows me to comfortably square up my shoulders and chest at address which makes it easier to turn with the correct much better spine tilts. I feel like it's presetting to get the top of the back swing with the chest more over my trail side, and butt more over the lead side... but that's just me.

Edited by KD1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, KD1 said:

I have to do the hip bump to counteract, or neutralize, my own swing faults. I set up too open and my spine angle tilts toward the target at the top of the back swing. Setting up with the hip bump allows me to comfortably square up my shoulders and chest at address which makes it easier to turn with the correct much better spine tilts. I feel like it's presetting to get the top of the back swing with the chest more over my trail side, and butt more over the lead side... but that's just me.

Did you ever have issues with overswing? What you are describing in your comment sounds like a 3/4 turn all about to unload through the ball. Those feels you have sound nice.

The hip bump is to set the spine angle. As Porzak describes in this videos and others he has on his channel about the hip bump and his wing fundamentals it’s too slow for proper turn in the backswing. By having the proper tilts and rotation is alleviates the issues like a restricted hip turn which is what leads to many back issues as discussed in the Jason day thread and some other pros with swings that leave one wondering how they don’t have issues already and at what point they will get them.

But as discuses in your no more quick fixes thread searching YouTube and trying to find a fix to something without understanding the cause is going to lead down a rabbit hole. Since you are planning to work with an instructor I would wait til you are with that person and see what they give you to work on as the route to go for fixing your swing.

Or if the route is going to be with using an online “course” or a certain instructors channel, stick with that instructor and follow their videos from the basics of grip and stance and work on that then proceed to their other videos for takeaway, backswing, downswing and work each segment 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aaronjohnston said:

Did you ever have issues with overswing? What you are describing in your comment sounds like a 3/4 turn all about to unload through the ball. Those feels you have sound nice.

Not over swing, misconceptions and ignorance without feedback. I get so much more turn now, the before and after was just embarrassing.

4 hours ago, aaronjohnston said:

Was it Porzac that came up with this move?

The answer to this question is almost always "no, here's an example of someone talking about this 100 years ago or 70 years ago" or something.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 29. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

I don't know. I had a hard time getting through the "that allows me to freely turn with ease" and "without straining my lower back at all" type comments. 🤣

There are many good players who set up with the hips slightly open. Hell, Rory opens his hips early in his backswing after setting up with them slightly open.

• Like 2

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

9 hours ago, iacas said:

I don't know. I had a hard time getting through the "that allows me to freely turn with ease" and "without straining my lower back at all" type comments. 🤣

There are many good players who set up with the hips slightly open. Hell, Rory opens his hips early in his backswing after setting up with them slightly open.

They are turning on top of a posted lead side braced on a trail side with spine tilted perpendicular with hips. As you turn your shoulders into the backswing your spine twists with it and if your hips aren't matching or you don't have good hip movement you will crunch your lower back area and strain it.

I have tried it and it sure as hell works as intended.

Using Rory as an example doesn't remove the fact millions of golfers suffer with lower back pain because they aren't using the body correctly. I am one of those golfers who have suffered with lower back pain because of my poor hip movement. Rory does what works for him and how do we know he doesn't get lower back pain?

8 hours ago, GoGoErky said:

Porzak has several elite students that are in college and in the junior ranks.

he has many of them on his YouTube channel and he goes with the college ones to some of their tourneys. Iirc he had some in pro events 

Watched many of them videos and it's awesome what he is doing with these younger players. His teaching style is the one the best I've seen. I have watched a lot of coaches. So I have a good eye for who is actually teaching and who is preaching. 

17 hours ago, GoGoErky said:

The hip bump is to set the spine angle. As Porzak describes in this videos and others he has on his channel about the hip bump and his wing fundamentals it’s too slow for proper turn in the backswing. By having the proper tilts and rotation is alleviates the issues like a restricted hip turn which is what leads to many back issues as discussed in the Jason day thread and some other pros with swings that leave one wondering how they don’t have issues already and at what point they will get them.

But as discuses in your no more quick fixes thread searching YouTube and trying to find a fix to something without understanding the cause is going to lead down a rabbit hole. Since you are planning to work with an instructor I would wait til you are with that person and see what they give you to work on as the route to go for fixing your swing.

Or if the route is going to be with using an online “course” or a certain instructors channel, stick with that instructor and follow their videos from the basics of grip and stance and work on that then proceed to their other videos for takeaway, backswing, downswing and work each segment 

So wait to see "what they give me to work on" This is actually a great point. 

There are a few teachers online that I am interested in. But difficult to stick with it and follow along when they are baiting you into paying more than you already paid to begin with.

The basics of grip and set-up has been my focus over the last few days. I am working on ingraining these things in the back garden at the moment.

50 minutes ago, aaronjohnston said:

There are a few teachers online that I am interested in. But difficult to stick with it and follow along when they are baiting you into paying more than you already paid to begin with.

I haven’t seen this but if that’s the case that would be an instructor I wouldn’t even consider. There are several online that don’t do that 

Those with lower back pain because their hips are crunching the bottom of the back when it hasn't got proper tilt as it turns in the backswing.

Oh boy.

Using Rory as an example doesn't remove the fact millions of golfers suffer with lower back pain because they aren't using the body correctly. I am one of those golfers who have suffered with lower back pain because of my poor hip movement. Rory does what works for him and how do we know he doesn't get lower back pain?

Oh boy x2.

59 minutes ago, aaronjohnston said:

Watched many of them videos and it's awesome what he is doing with these younger players. His teaching style is the one the best I've seen. I have watched a lot of coaches. So I have a good eye for who is actually teaching and who is preaching. 

Make it a triple.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

On 5/19/2023 at 11:24 AM, aaronjohnston said:

Video below - Was it Porzac that came up with this move? Anyone elaborate on how it helps with less lower back strain but gets the best angle for the turn behind the ball?

Very interesting little move. But just kind of weird that there are little moves that people come up with. Aren't these types of things what lead to problems down the road?

Thoughts would be appreciated. 

Aaron, Thanks, for sharing. It looks like this bump and butt out helps me turn more correctly in the backswing thanks. Do you try to do this in one motion as it appears that Porzac does or do you bump the hips and then add more bend at the hips? Look forward to testing this out on the course.

Edited by Tanner25

1 hour ago, Tanner25 said:

Aaron, Thanks, for sharing. It looks like this bump and butt out helps me turn more correctly in the backswing thanks. Do you try to do this in one motion as it appears that Porzac does or do you bump the hips and then add more bend at the hips? Look forward to testing this out on the course.

It’s a single just as Porzak demonstrates in the video. Very shuttle bump and back

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tanner25 said:

As Erky says, it's a single move. I bend from the hips after ball position then make sure im lined up properly before I bump the hip out and im ready to go. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rondo01 said:

Shoulders.

It seems so, yeah. The idea is to have a really solid base and turn around a relatively fixed pivot point. I think he would emphasize staying connected over the amount of shoulder turn. In other words, if trying to make a bigger turn caused you to sway or drift off the pivot point he'd recommend against it.  

Edited by me05501