Great Chasing Scratch Video

Tfb003

this video was super eye opening for me!  been fighting early extension and the wheeled stool drill makes a lot of sense, excited to give it a try

🍍 2023 WITB 🍍

Titleist TSR3 9.0* w/ Ventus Black 6x

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 15* w/ Ventus Red 7x

Titleist TSR3 19* w/ Ventus HB Blue 8s

Titleist T200 4-iron w/ Axiom 105x

Artisan LS 720HM 5-PW w/ Modus 115x

Artisan 50*, 56* w/ TT DGS S200

Vokey WW 60* LB-K w/ TT DGS S200

Scotty Cameron Tei3 Newport Two

Honey, I gotta run out to Office Depot. 

“Why are you wheeling yourself around the kitchen?”

• Haha 1

TSR2 8.0 Ventus TR Black 6-X

TSR2+ 13.0 Ventus Blue 8-TX

M5 5 wood Ventus Blue 9-TX
P-UDI 3 iron DI Hybrid 105-X

T100 4-5/ 716 CB 6-P MMT 125-TX

SM10 54D, 60M Modus 125-X
Newport 2 Studio Stainless 340

18 hours ago, Tfb003 said:

Incredible explanation on how hard the left foot should be pushing. 

Also thought that he describes the “rock and roll” (right tilt) as being so early in the chain. Seems like Monte and some other great coaches would prefer that shoulder to drop later but that may be a misunderstanding.

Good video.  He's not advocating for early right tilt here.  More comming out of left tilt before twisting....otherwise it's OTT city.  

• Like 2

I was honestly so pleased when I saw this video. I have always struggled to feel like I get a proper release and I have been intently working away on it by thinking about what my left foot is doing and this video backed a lot of that up. 

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist 915Hd 15* Aldila Rogue Black Stiff
Titleist 915Hd 17.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Stiff
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM10 50.08F, 54.10D (Raw) & 60.04T (Raw) KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I like the chasing scratch group and always appreciate hearing personalized insight from pros/coaches etc. I definitely have a weaker lead leg than trail, so seeing the chair exercise I was excited to work on it! However, whenever I just push with my left leg in the swing I am coming over the top. It's from other swing flaws earlier in my swing I am sure, but the push of the left foot does not go well for me. But I am all about strengthening it and prepping it for when my swing sequence gets better.

19 minutes ago, bakere said:

I like the chasing scratch group and always appreciate hearing personalized insight from pros/coaches etc. I definitely have a weaker lead leg than trail, so seeing the chair exercise I was excited to work on it! However, whenever I just push with my left leg in the swing I am coming over the top. It's from other swing flaws earlier in my swing I am sure, but the push of the left foot does not go well for me. But I am all about strengthening it and prepping it for when my swing sequence gets better.

You have to load it first. Shift forward a little while the hands drop. Then push/jump.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 29. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

1 minute ago, iacas said:

You have to load it first. Shift forward a little while the hands drop. Then push/jump.

Yeah good point, i struggle with the loading. Right now when I shift, I shift my upper body forward as well, so my head gets on top of or in front of the ball (driver or iron dependent). Then I dump my right arm angles to get to the ball in time. I have to work on the shift with the lower body, keeping them head more centered or slightly back

14 hours ago, Tfb003 said:

Would you say an early right tilt would be before the pressure gets left then?

Yes, getting into right tilt shouldn't start happening until around p6.....shoulders level and spine neutral, buttons over zipper.  Most people need to feel staying in left tilt for as long as possible.   If you sequence that correctly right tilt pretty much happens as a result of rotation from p6 to impact.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MoneyMan300 said:

Yes, getting into right tilt shouldn't start happening until around p6.....shoulders level and spine neutral, buttons over zipper.  Most people need to feel staying in left tilt for as long as possible.   If you sequence that correctly right tilt pretty much happens as a result of rotation from p6 to impact.

His demonstration was heading towards right tilt from the top as a means of shallowing. I understand not being in right tilt before P6 but he is clearly moving from left til toward right tilt at P4.5.

This is where I am confused. I think feeling like you stay in left tilt as long as possible and making a conscious move toward right tilt as the 2nd move in the kinematic chain after getting pressure left are very different feels. At P6 you are basically rotated back to square so you are already at max left and and have turned on the rotation.

2 hours ago, Tfb003 said:

His demonstration was heading towards right tilt from the top as a means of shallowing. I understand not being in right tilt before P6 but he is clearly moving from left til toward right tilt at P4.5.

This is where I am confused. I think feeling like you stay in left tilt as long as possible and making a conscious move toward right tilt as the 2nd move in the kinematic chain after getting pressure left are very different feels. At P6 you are basically rotated back to square so you are already at max left and and have turned on the rotation.

I agree his upper body demonstration was not ideal.  Keep in mind he is measuring all of this with GRF.   I think what he is say is that you start coming out of left side bend right after the lateral move.  Moving from 1 bend to the other is happening throughout as long as the spine angle stays constant.

4 hours ago, MoneyMan300 said:

Yes, getting into right tilt shouldn't start happening until around p6.....shoulders level and spine neutral, buttons over zipper.

Eh, P6 is too late to be neutral spine:

Shoulders level around P6. Spine neutral until P5 or so, at which point the hips will begin out-racing the chest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

19 minutes ago, iacas said:

Eh, P6 is too late to be neutral spine:

Shoulders level around P6. Spine neutral until P5 or so, at which point the hips will begin out-racing the chest.

Using his terms : Would you say his kinematic sequence is correct, from the top : lateral / 'rock and roll' (side bend) / twist / jump - and his explanation that a speed killer is too much twist from P4ish will force you into rock and roll later (to get to the ball) and thus stop twist : stall and flip save

Since we're in left tilt / neutral at the top, doing some rock and roll before twist would have you going 'towards right side send' ang getting shoulders parallel to the ground by P6 ?

5 hours ago, Varry_Hardon said:

Using his terms : Would you say his kinematic sequence is correct, from the top : lateral / 'rock and roll' (side bend) / twist / jump - and his explanation that a speed killer is too much twist from P4ish will force you into rock and roll later (to get to the ball) and thus stop twist : stall and flip save

Generally speaking, yes. But… also, steps 2 and 3 there happen so quickly, they're almost just one step.

And yes, far too many golfers just twist from the top and then EE to keep the club from tipping out too far, inhibiting rotation. See it all the time.

5 hours ago, Varry_Hardon said:

Since we're in left tilt / neutral at the top, doing some rock and roll before twist would have you going 'towards right side send' ang getting shoulders parallel to the ground by P6 ?

No problem with shoulders parallel ~P6. Just that the spine isn't vertical at P6 - it's already fairly tilted by then. Which is like 0.04 seconds before P7. 😄

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Varry_Hardon said:

My man Jackie !

Yes, and Demaret too, and a few others from Texas, but the trickle down source was Claude Harmon Sr.    So this dynamic timing is nothing new in the rhythm arena.     So much knowledge came from Texas and its outstanding players it stands on its own for what they were on to, and passed along.  

• Like 1

I swung out from underneath myself, from the lower part of my body.   Byron Nelson

Glad to see my coach succeed with some TPI help. He has had me do the crunch into right side bend before and now it makes sense. Since I have been doing pressure work the last couple months, I wonder if I revisit that crunch feeling with the chair push off. 

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with KBS TD Cat 4 44.5" 

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Snell Prime 4.0

What are your guys' thoughts on the tennis, forward top spin release move (at 11:54 in the video)?

This seems to align with Scott Cowx's tour release pattern A. I've just only started to work on it but it is such a foreign feeling to keep trail wrist in extension (lead wrist in flexion) while rolling the wrist over. Dr. Rose mentions in the video that the position makes it feel like the face is pointing directing into the ground and I couldn't agree more... it's going to take some work. But if I'm understanding correctly, that is how you get long, stable flat spot at impact.