2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Iron Spin

Bsudgolf

3 minutes ago, Snowman9000 said:

Well, my basic understanding is the opposite; that more spin comes with less distance, and vice versa.  Maybe someone else who doesn’t want to call out your driving accuracy will chime in with the answers.

To me the bottom line would be to try different balls and see.  I’d really be interested in what you’d find with a regular Chrome Soft or a TM Tour Response. I think they  would fly farther off your irons.

I know I don't know why people like that don't just keep scrolling. But hey Some people just like being..... But you may be right cause that does make sense but somewhere I read that more Spin holds the ball in the air longer but I'm not sure that's true. I've thought about those CS, response, but do they have the green side spin as the premium balls?

1 minute ago, Bsudgolf said:

I know I don't know why people like that don't just keep scrolling. But hey Some people just like being..... But you may be right cause that does make sense but somewhere I read that more Spin holds the ball in the air longer but I'm not sure that's true. I've thought about those CS, response, but do they have the green side spin as the premium balls?

I think green side spin is too personal for me to be able to say for you.  Those models are not bad but might not satisfy you.  

M4 Driver
5, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

8 hours ago, bluedot said:

I don’t know of very many players, good or otherwise, who opt for a lower spin ball because of iron play.

Unless their spin is already absolutely ridiculous for a given lofted iron.  And yes, a better answer is "Get lessons," but still.

Spin is control.  But spin is also drag.  Me, I'd rather hit a 6-iron into a green, and know it's going 168-171, within this 10° dispersion, than brag about about my 8-iron reaching it, and I have no idea where it's going to end up beyond, "Out there.  Somewhere."

2 hours ago, Bsudgolf said:

I really couldn't give a S:'& whether you believe me or not.

Clearly not the case. 🤣

When you don't hit drives but 240yds it's really not that hard to hit a damn fairway.

Yeah, you're only like 6% better than the most accurate LPGA Tour player. 😛 Sure.

Let me guess you miss fairways cause you bomb them 340??

Nope.

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 29. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

2 hours ago, blades_are_life said:

I am confused what this is supposed to show. These are female golfers playing in tournament settings rather than a male golfer playing recreationally.

I've observed as a general rule, "recreational" golfers are not as highly skilled as those who play professionally on the televised Tours. 

But it's possible you're an exception. And you do have the "male golfer" advantage going for you 💪

• Like 1

NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON GOLFWRX

Where Are You Waiting GIF by This GIF Is Haunted

Just because some can't hit Fairways doesn't mean others doesn't have the Ability to do it. And why in the Hell if someone has something negative to say about what someone can and can't do just keep Scrolling? You don't have to comment on it just keep your fingers from typing. This post was posted about Iron Spin with certain type Balls and if you can't Answer about that with honest Answers without being an AH then move on. It's that simple. Some people just like being AHs on internet forums. 

46 minutes ago, Bsudgolf said:

Just because some can't hit Fairways doesn't mean others doesn't have the Ability to do it. And why in the Hell if someone has something negative to say about what someone can and can't do just keep Scrolling? You don't have to comment on it just keep your fingers from typing. This post was posted about Iron Spin with certain type Balls and if you can't Answer about that with honest Answers without being an AH then move on. It's that simple. Some people just like being AHs on internet forums. 

Ok, but to be fair to iacas, the 95% figure for fairways hit is part of the total picture of your game that you provided in you first two posts.  Maybe you DO hit 95% of fairways with a 240-250 average distance, but you have to admit that would make you something of a unicorn.  That is a very respectable driving distance, and 95% means that on average you miss less than one fairway per round, or two misses every three rounds.  I play a lot of golf with a lot of very good players, and not one of them is that accurate, or even close to it.  

I had said that in MY experience, players who opt for lower spinning balls are usually either trying to spend less on golf balls, which doesn’t really sound like what you are doing, or have bought into marketing “myths” about golf balls.  Specifically, those myths are that a lower spinning ball is straighter and longer off the tee, and/or that a softer/lower spinning golf ball is just as long but with better “feel”.  The lower cost part is real; the rest of it, by and large, is not.

You are a 4 index who recently shot 70, so I’d consider you to be a better player, and I had said that I didn’t know many good players who opt for LESS spin off irons because of distance.  To expand on that, I guess I should say that I DO know good players who generate so much spin that they need a ball that spins a bit less off irons, but in every case that I’m familiar with, those are very high swing speed players who drive it a LOT farther than 240-250.  They don’t go to a lower spinning ball for length; they do it because they generate too much spin due to their mechanics and high swing speeds.

Again, this seems like an easy test to do on course, but I’d be really surprised if you found that there were improvements to be had in your iron play from LESS spin.  

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, bluedot said:

Ok, but to be fair to iacas, the 95% figure for fairways hit is part of the total picture of your game that you provided in you first two posts.  Maybe you DO hit 95% of fairways with a 240-250 average distance, but you have to admit that would make you something of a unicorn.  That is a very respectable driving distance, and 95% means that on average you miss less than one fairway per round, or two misses every three rounds.  I play a lot of golf with a lot of very good players, and not one of them is that accurate, or even close to it.  

I had said that in MY experience, players who opt for lower spinning balls are usually either trying to spend less on golf balls, which doesn’t really sound like what you are doing, or have bought into marketing “myths” about golf balls.  Specifically, those myths are that a lower spinning ball is straighter and longer off the tee, and/or that a softer/lower spinning golf ball is just as long but with better “feel”.  The lower cost part is real; the rest of it, by and large, is not.

You are a 4 index who recently shot 70, so I’d consider you to be a better player, and I had said that I didn’t know many good players who opt for LESS spin off irons because of distance.  To expand on that, I guess I should say that I DO know good players who generate so much spin that they need a ball that spins a bit less off irons, but in every case that I’m familiar with, those are very high swing speed players who drive it a LOT farther than 240-250.  They don’t go to a lower spinning ball for length; they do it because they generate too much spin due to their mechanics and high swing speeds.

Again, this seems like an easy test to do on course, but I’d be really surprised if you found that there were improvements to be had in your iron play from LESS spin.  

Just don't feed the troll - nobody on earth that plays golf and keep stats of all their shots hit driver at least 240+ yards and has a 95% fairway hit rate (not talking playable drives that end up in the first cut or rough here, but fairways only) unless we're counting bucket balls that end up in the range facility... let's just move along

• Like 1

4 hours ago, blades_are_life said:

I am confused what this is supposed to show. These are female golfers playing in tournament settings rather than a male golfer playing recreationally.

LPGA Tour players are shockingly accurate. And many don't hit it 240+. And yet… the most accurate player on that Tour is batting under 90%.

1 hour ago, Bsudgolf said:

I thought you "really couldn't give a S:'&" about what I think?

38 minutes ago, bluedot said:

Unicorn GIF by MOODMAN

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 29. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell