2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Older with back issues

Bsudgolf

On 10/7/2023 at 10:50 AM, Bsudgolf said:

I play to about that myself. From 120yds in is where I shine. Just wish I could hit it further without so much strain on my back. I had back problems long before my golf swing 

You're not alone, plenty of people cope with back issues, mostly lower-back.  Three of my buddies been dealing with it for years, like you, long before golf.  Thing is, so many have protruding bellies, straining the lower back, including two of my buddies.

It doesn't matter what we do in hopes of hitting further, we can only do what our deteriorating, bodies allow.  Recently, I've lost some yardage throughout the bag; still get driver out there, but dropped a few yards off irons.  LOL Main reason for switching to composite shafts.   Lighter weight allows me to squeeze a few more yards out of every club. 😝  

I played a difficult course recently, from Blue/White combo tees, used 2 to 4 irons off most holes to challenge myself.  I get charged, so hit the ball harder.  Last hole of the trip, 394+yd blue tee, 2i down the middle left, then 4i to apron, baby pitch to 3-4', made par.  Big Thank you to composite and iron technology, and the attaboy's from playing partners fuels motivation. 

Posture over the ball should have you setting your butt partially on the bar stool, then from your waist, leaning forward a tad.  Good luck with your back. 👍

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • TSR2 9.25° Tensei 1k Pro Red 61S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17° 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S 113-SW.
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

1 hour ago, Pepperturbo said:

You're not alone, plenty of people cope with back issues, mostly lower-back.  Three of my buddies been dealing with it for years, like you, long before golf.  Thing is, so many have protruding bellies, straining the lower back, including two of my buddies.

It doesn't matter what we do in hopes of hitting further, we can only do what our deteriorating, bodies allow.  Recently, I've lost some yardage throughout the bag; still get driver out there, but dropped a few yards off irons.  LOL Main reason for switching to composite shafts.   Lighter weight allows me to squeeze a few more yards out of every club. 😝  

I played a difficult course recently, from Blue/White combo tees, used 2 to 4 irons off most holes to challenge myself.  I get charged, so hit the ball harder.  Last hole of the trip, 394+yd blue tee, 2i down the middle left, then 4i to apron, baby pitch to 3-4', made par.  Big Thank you to composite and iron technology, and the attaboy's from playing partners fuels motivation. 

Posture over the ball should have you setting your butt partially on the bar stool, then from your waist, leaning forward a tad.  Good luck with your back. 👍

“so many have protruding bellies”

This can not be emphasized too much. 

Fat bellies affect posture , causing too much lordosis( curvature) in the lower spine . This can negatively affect the lower back and the entire lower kinetic chain down to your feet .

Fat bellies can lead to  increased disc pressure , herniation of the discs and pinched nerves  

Fat bellies can release chemicals that lead to degenerative disc disease .

Nobody says that it is easy but LOOSE the damn belly  !!

And no matter what any pro might tell you , a” neutral spine “ 

is the first fundamental of good setup

because it is the position of the spine , in which mobility is maximized and injuries are minimized .
I understand that many of you with back problems have difficulty in getting into the” neutral spine” position . That is why it is important to see a physical therapist , not a golf pro , who is trained specifically to help you improve your posture .

Edited by golfarb1
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, golfarb1 said:

“so many have protruding bellies”

This can not be emphasized too much. 

Fat bellies affect posture , causing too much lordosis( curvature) in the lower spine . This can negatively affect the lower back and the entire lower kinetic chain down to your feet .

Fat bellies can lead to  increased disc pressure , herniation of the discs and pinched nerves  

Fat bellies can release chemicals that lead to degenerative disc disease .

Nobody says that it is easy but LOOSE the damn weight !!

Well that's a little easier said than done! I'm 270 but I'm 6'1 so I carry it well. BUT I'm a diabetic on insulin so losing the weight on insulin is not as easy as you may say

17 hours ago, Bsudgolf said:

Well that's a little easier said than done! I'm 270 but I'm 6'1 so I carry it well. BUT I'm a diabetic on insulin so losing the weight on insulin is not as easy as you may say

I'll have to disagree a little bit on the difficulty of losing weight with diabetes part. I have diabetes too. Losing weight requires more commitment than most people are willing to give. The biggest issue, and I'm just as guilty of it as everyone else, is not only WHAT you eat but HOW MUCH you eat. The portion control is what everyone seems to have a problem with. I had a "crash course" in this several months ago. I had a stroke and was in the hospital and then rehab for a total of 2 months. While I was there all my meals were maybe 400- 600 calories 3 times a day of healthy foods. Before I had the stroke 1 meal for me was 2000 calories and mostly junk food. The hardest part for me is portion control. I went in the hospital weighing 220 lbs. and, due to being "forced" to eat healthy :classic_angry:, left the rehab center 2 months later @ 205 lbs. 

Edited by rd1959

I’ve posted this elsewhere but it’s worth repeating.  As has been said this takes a lot of commitment.  

I dropped 30 lbs in six weeks.  Eliminated all cholesterol (animal fat) containing food, except for chicken breasts and cream in my coffee.  No processed food.  Read a lot of labels.   So lots of veggies, pasta in reasonable amounts ok.   
No bs here.  
Contuinued on that diet for a year. Lost another 10 lbs.  Went from 220 to 180. Ate my first steak at the 1 year mark, actually didn’t taste that great.  

That was 14 years ago.  Still on a similar diet, occasional cheese, and a few other items.   Holding steady at 185. 

Did this because of a cholesterol scare, which dropped to normal levels at the 1 year mark (my dr wouldn’t test me before 1year) and holding steady ever since. 

It’s all about commitment, there’s a million excuses for not losing weight, and millions dying early because of obesity.  

Some people live to eat, and others eat to live.  

1 hour ago, rd1959 said:

I'll have to disagree a little bit on the difficulty of losing weight 

You get extra points for remembering 5th grade and how to spell losing.

Sometimes the simplest way is the best way.

I know a guy who lost a lot of weight by taking a morning walk and eating only half of the food on his plate and left the rest as a statement to his willpower. No rigid diet or rules, no denying flavors he liked, no extreme changes to his system.

His clothes were melting off him after the second month.

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

44 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

You get extra points for remembering 5th grade and how to spell losing.

Sometimes the simplest way is the best way.

I know a guy who lost a lot of weight by taking a morning walk and eating only half of the food on his plate and left the rest as a statement to his willpower. No rigid diet or rules, no denying flavors he liked, no extreme changes to his system.

His clothes were melting off him after the second month.

"You get extra points for remembering 5th grade and how to spell losing."

It just shows how old I am. We actually paid attention in school  :classic_biggrin:

Yes, the simplest way is usually the best

2 hours ago, st1800e said:

I’ve posted this elsewhere but it’s worth repeating.  As has been said this takes a lot of commitment.  

I dropped 30 lbs in six weeks.  Eliminated all cholesterol (animal fat) containing food, except for chicken breasts and cream in my coffee.  No processed food.  Read a lot of labels.   So lots of veggies, pasta in reasonable amounts ok.   
No bs here.  
Contuinued on that diet for a year. Lost another 10 lbs.  Went from 220 to 180. Ate my first steak at the 1 year mark, actually didn’t taste that great.  

That was 14 years ago.  Still on a similar diet, occasional cheese, and a few other items.   Holding steady at 185. 

Did this because of a cholesterol scare, which dropped to normal levels at the 1 year mark (my dr wouldn’t test me before 1year) and holding steady ever since. 

It’s all about commitment, there’s a million excuses for not losing weight, and millions dying early because of obesity.  

Some people live to eat, and others eat to live.  

To lose weight, depending on how much you have to lose and then maintain, can come down to overhauling your entire lifestyle. My Kryptonite is soft drinks. I used to drink a 2 liter bottle of Sundrop per day.