Hitting Mat options / oppinions

MD_

I'm in the market for a hitting mat for an indoor simulator setup for a high school golf team (handicaps ranging from low single digits to double par on every hole).

I had been pretty set on the fiberbuilt practice station because it will need to be setup/taken down on a daily, or at least frequent weekly (mon-fri) basis as the area it will be used in is used by other sports teams as well as the community on the weekends.

I'm a little concerned that its only the grass series insert as I know it get good ratings for injury prevention but it isn't as realistic and can mask certain contact issues. I'd love to go player preferred but setting up and taking down that base seems cumbersome and 8'x4' is the smallest size.

So do I....

A)Stick with the practice station and stop overthinking it

B)Go with their "performance turf" that doesn't need a base

C)Go with a CCE or other similar driving range style mat that doesn't need a base?

Ideally I'd like something with a rubber bottom that isn't prone to moving around much when swinging

Do not get a CCE. Although I have no experience with one, they are notorious for causing wrist and elbow injuries. I have a FB 5x5, not sure of the series, but it was $589 3 years ago. After hitting literally thousands of balls I have experienced no pain. I feel the FB is very realistic on fat shots, I don't agree with those that say it isn't. EZ Tee Hybrid mats are also excellent for hitting off of, but they're too soft as a stance mat. You need a mat to stand on with those, but they're very good to hit off of.

I had a fiberbuilt practice station and don't recommend it.  I don't really like the hitting surface but more so don't like the stance mat.  Country Club Elite gets some complaints about shock on the joints but I personally haven't had any issues and know a lot of players that hit a lot of ball off that mat without issue.  We have CCE at our club for when the grass is closed and it's installed at the Trackman facility I use once or twice a week in the offseason.  My personal choice would be the Real Feel from CCE.

@RobS do you not like the grass series from FB or mainly just the stance mat? I did notice in pictures it looks like the turf is slightly higher than the stance mat which I don't like at all...I'm also considering the hourglass pro studio kit as an alternative to the practice station due to the better stance mat but I'm not sure how easily it sets up/breaks down...and then its also the same grass series hitting surface as the practice station.

My fallback is probably the CCE at this point...its the same mat our home club uses on their range

52 minutes ago, MD_ said:

@RobS do you not like the grass series from FB or mainly just the stance mat? I did notice in pictures it looks like the turf is slightly higher than the stance mat which I don't like at all...I'm also considering the hourglass pro studio kit as an alternative to the practice station due to the better stance mat but I'm not sure how easily it sets up/breaks down...and then its also the same grass series hitting surface as the practice station.

My fallback is probably the CCE at this point...its the same mat our home club uses on their range

The turf and the mat are close to level. I don’t like the turf either although I could live with it. It doesn’t offer any resistance helps with comfort but doesn’t offer a realistic feel and forgives some really bad swings. 

I have a cce stance mat with the hitting strip. Ive had it for a long time but would only use it sparingly into a net to work on my swing when i couldnt get out to the range. Well, recently i purchased a skytrak+ and in the first week of hitting on it i started to feel tennis elbow pain. 

Ive sent the skytrak back, so while i decide on a new launch monitor, Im also looking for a better/safer mat. 

Edited by pmata814

On 10/13/2023 at 6:08 PM, pmata814 said:

I have a cce stance mat with the hitting strip. Ive had it for a long time but would only use it sparingly into a net to work on my swing when i couldnt get out to the range. Well, recently i purchased a skytrak+ and in the first week of hitting on it i started to feel tennis elbow pain. 

Ive sent the skytrak back, so while i decide on a new launch monitor, Im also looking for a better/safer mat. 

My old golf mat that I had would make my back and elbows hurt like crazy when I would go for a swing.

But recently I replaced it with a real feel golf mat. 

They are pretty expensive, but they are really worth it

The cheapest I was able to find though was on amazon if you want to take a look: https://amzn.to/45AQA2J

Anyway I hope this helps my friend 

Cheers

I had a Country Club Elite and sold it years after I should have- it's a great mat in that there is no question at all when you hit a fat shot. Unfortunately, I developed NASTY tendonitis from it and it eventually resulted in a partial tendon tear (bruised my inner forearm) and over time an overly "picky"/no divot swing as my brain subconsciously compensated to avoid pain. I moved to a Fiberbuilt and definitely wouldn't move back. It definitely won't mask a fat shot any worse than a nice fairway would. It's much easier on the joints, and the hitting strip lasts a while. I wore mine to the point of asking about a warranty replacement (it didn't qualify, I had it over a year), and found out that I am able to disassemble it and move the squares around-there are four in a row, and I moved the two middle squares to the ends and moved the ends to the middle, which should allow me to get another two years of heavy use out of it before I replace it. 

I guess different people have different reactions to the various mats, but I’ve read so many “don’t get a CCE, it’ll result in elbow/wrist pain” posts.

I have one, hit off of it almost every day & have had zero issues.

YMMV

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max 9.0 - Alta CB 55 R 

Ping G400 5 wood - Alta CB 65 R

PIng G425 Max 7 wood - Alta CB 65 R

Mizuno CLK hybrid - Tensei CK Blue 70 R

Mizuno JPX 923 FliHi 23 & 26 - Recoil ESX R

Maltby TS1 IM 7-GW - Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap R

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54/12 - Rotex 70 wedge flex

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58/06- Rotex 70 wedge flex

Odyessey Eleven Tour Lined

I picked up a 1'x2' mat from my local PGA superstore when they remodeled. It ended up that it wasn't going to do what I wanted so I was going to get a FB. Then I bought the GoSports 4'x5' on Amazon. It's horrible to hit off so I cut in the 1'x2' directly into the Gosports and it works very well. I'm into the setup for under $150 and I can pick it up and stand it vertically. I hit every day and already have a ton of health issues and this mat seems nice and soft and I take a good divot with irons. When it dies, I will likely get the Sigpro 1'x2" and drop it into place of the PGA castoff. I'll still be lot cheaper than the FB. My local Golf Galaxy we going to swap their 8'x4' FB mats with the real grass insert. I asked the guy I know there if he could save one for me and he said he would. Instead, they threw away 3 $1500 mats. What a bummer. 

Edited by _chris
  • Like 1