2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Should I as a beginner get fitted for clubs?

tam

What to expect if so?
Greetings all,

I'm pretty green to golf. I started back in October, and because of the weather, haven't really got to play or practice on a consistent basis. I've played nine holes several times, I think my lowest score is a 52 (I even got a birdie last time, yay!). I've had two lessons. Both went really well. For the most part, I make good ball contact. Sometimes I slice a bit, but generally the ball goes more or less straight, but not terribly far.

I'm using Wilson LT 1200 hand-me-downs, which the pro tells me are older than I am. (I'm 27.) He said he's getting a spiffy new fitting system (whatever that means) from Nike sometime in March, and suggested that I get fitted for new clubs.

My first question is: would it be a waste of time for someone who has only been playing a few months to get fitted for clubs? I'm worried that as I play more, my swing will change and what "fits" now, won't fit by the end of the summer. However, the pro and my dad (my golf buddy) think that my current equipment is holding me back. I tend to think that if I can learn to hit well with what I've got, then when I get a "good" set of clubs, I should see immediate significant improvement because I'll already have decent form. They counter that I'm less likely to develop decent form if I'm compensating for out-dated equipment that I'm likely to replace soon anyway.

Wow, long question.
Second question: if I should get fitted, what should I expect? It would be done by the same pro I got my lessons from. He mentioned it involved checking swing speed, etc. How much should it cost? What if I don't want to order clubs right away? Will they give me, or can I just write down the "specs" for what shaft flex, lie, length, etc., so I can get clubs later, or elsewhere?

Thanks from a newbie. :)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

My two cents is to take advantage of the no-cost fitting systems (i.e. Pings on-line) at a minimum so that if you buy "off the rack clubs" you're at least in the neighborhood. Granted Pings fitting system (in terms of color codes) is specific to their clubs but you can interpret the lie angle, shaft length and grip form the information provided and use that to select an "off the rack" or other manufacturers club.

if you have a few bucks to spend, buy any set of forged clubs: new or used, and get fitted for sure. they can be bent to your specs and, as your swing changes, the clubs can be re-bent. they aren't cheap to begin with, but you will save yourself money in the long run.

rank

The bag:

Titleist 915 D2 driver

Titleist TS2 3 wood

Titleist 818 H1 3 & 4 hybrids

Mizuno MP-60 irons (5-PW)

Mizuno T-22 wedges

Odyssey Stroke Lab 2-ball

The most important thing is to have clubs with the proper lie and length, you could buy super game improvement clubs and still use them if you get better, maybe a change in shafts if you change certain swing characteristics and swing it faster but I know a guy who went from a 20 handicap to a 5 using G5 irons the whole time, just went to a stiffer shaft when he hit them to high. It won't be too much, Ping's is free, they just measure you and order clubs that fit your spec.

I agree with the previous posters. At this point, I don't think a dynamic fitting would do too much for you, as most likely, your swing will change pretty quickly depending on how much you work on your swing. Get statically fitted for length, lie, shaft flex, and grip size for now. Once your swing develops to something more consistent, then get a dynamic fitting for ball flight, different shafts, etc.

Thanks for all the replies. I didn't know about Ping's online static fitting thing, so I gave it a try for woods/driver. One of the questions concerns ball flight. With my driver and woods I tend to hit to the right. It recommended the Rhapsody driver, standard length, - 1/64th grip size, and, to my surprise, "regular" flex shafts.

I would have expected ladies or senior flex, since I'm female, 5'5", and I'm sure my swing speed is pretty slow. Unless I'm not understanding the purpose of the flex. My current woods are ladies flex, but my irons are men's clubs. I don't know what flex they are. Probably A or R. I do hit them better than the woods, but I thought everyone does that since they're shorter, etc.

Anyway, I also took a look at Ping's "Fitting interview questionaire." That was pretty enlightening itself. It looks like I need to do more data collection (i.e., play more!) before I worry too much about it.

Thanks all. :wub:

tam, welcome to the site!! you should keep us posted here on your progress.

If you attend a demo day where a bunch of manufacturers are present, you should be able to get a basic lie board fitting and

test different flex shafts. also....

have you invested in any lessons? how serious are you going to take the game? Fun, a little competition, both?

how hard do you want to work on your game, or do you just want to make your swing more consistent?

good luck!!!

Hi raidernut, thanks for the welcome.

I've taken two lessons. I'm not signed up for regular lessons; I figure I will just get one whenever I feel I'm having trouble with something or could use improvement in a particular area. I'll look into whether any demo days are coming up locally.

Since this will be my first season of golf, my main goal is basically to learn to play well enough not to be a total embarrassment! I want to play for fun with my friends and family. Eventually perhaps some competition, but probably not this year, realistically. I enjoy competitive sports, but I don't know how local golf competitions work.

I practice on average once or twice a week, maybe I'll get to three after the time change. The cost of playing will probably limit my time on the course to no more than once a week. Although this game is terribly addicting, and I see now how easy it is to become a certifiable golf nut. But alas, I've got to put some money in the bank! :wub:

Static Testing to star

Titleist TS2 9.5*, EvenFlow T1100 White 65X
Ping Crossover G 18*, Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 3-PW, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 50*07, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 54*12, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 58*8, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Titleist Studio Design 1.5 Custom Shop
Snell MTB Black

I think to be fitted is as much important to beginners as to low cappers. I have been using standard everything clubs since I started golf 4 years ago, and I finally got fitted for the first time - I found that I have to use 60.5 degree lie for 7 irons, which is 1.5 - 2.5 degree flat for most of off-the-shelf irons. I had developed wrong posture and swing habit to fit my body to the wrong irons.

Just my 2c.

SP

IMHO...

I think that a fitting is best served for someone who has an understanding of the swing and has played enough to be able to tell that their equipment is not right for them.

I would say just use the sticks you have, figure out the mechanics of the swing and what best suits your physical stature, get some rounds under your belt, and then get a fitting once you can repeat your swing.

If you cannot repeat your swing, a fitting is useless.

GOOD LUCK