2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Hybrid help wanted

parkinni

3-4 iron replacements
Currently, I have driver, #3 & #5 woods, and 4-iron thru' LW (Callaway X-14's) in my bag. As I no longer carry a 3-iron, I've seriously been contemplating putting a hybrid into play to fill the gap between my #5 wood and 4-iron. If all goes well with this substitution, I'd like to take the 4-iron out too and put another hybrid in it's place.

I hit my #5 wood about 200 yards or so, and my 4-iron around 175, so my question is, "What loft of hybrid should I be looking at to fill this gap?"

I know that the shafts in hybrids are longer than the corresponding long irons they replace, but shorter than fairway woods, so what loft hybrid will fit the bill for me?

Taking the TM Rescue Dual as an example, it is available in #2(16° loft), #3(19°), #4(22°), and #5(25°) versions. I've not checked yet, but I believe the X-14 lofts to be around 20° for the 3-iron, and 22° for the 4. Even though the TM #4 is 22°, will the longer shaft in it make it a direct 3-iron replacement? Or am I trying to make this more complicated than it is, and really should be playing the TM #3 in 19° because it's labelled as a #3?

Please help. This is all new to me, and I'd like to know where to start.

In addition, what would be your make/model recommendations? I'm a 14 h'cap with ~90 mph SS with the driver.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our games sound pretty similar. I play to about a 13, I hit the 5 wood about 210-200. I dumped the 3-iron for a 7 wood but hit it just to high and inconsistant, it was a super old one and needs to be upgraded. This year I picked up a TM Rescue Dual in the 22 degree. i really wanted the 19 but got a killer deal on the 22 so thought I would give it a try.

It is fantastic, you will love having one in your bag. I hit it about 190-185 max. I basically had the same gap you have and it works well. If its not windy or I am playing a course with a lot of sand I will even take out the 4 iron because I can back the hyrib down a little and then add a sandwedge (normally I play gap and lob). Not to mention it is a great club to use for bumb and runs just off the green, and as much as I hate to admit it, it works well to it a low roller from out of the trees! A lot of people over look the fact that is more than just a great long iron replacement.

So to answer your question, the 22 works for me, I think if you go non talyor made find something in the 20-22 range and you will be glad you did!

I think your making it too complicated, I recommend the Cleveland Halos. I would replace your 3 and 4 with their 3 and 4. Cleveland has higher lofts for their hybrids, but they go are longer than the other companies in my experience. Remember, just because it is a hybrid, doesn't mean all degrees are easy to hit. For example, I wouldn't recommned the Cleveland Halo 1 iron 16 degree hybrid to some with a 15 handicap. Rember you will be able to hit these further and higher then the irons you are replacing.

OK. Thanks for the advice, guys!

From what I'm hearing, the Rescue Dual in 22° or the Halo 3i would be good places to start testing. Makes sense to me. If anything, I'd like to err on the higher lofted side so that I've got a 4-iron replacement at worst. I'd hate to buy a hybrid that was longer than my 3-iron, and ended up duplicating my 5-wood distance.

Mickfan4: I like your comments about the versatility of the hybrids. That's one of the reasons that I'm drawn to them. I really prefer to bump and run into the green if there's no penalty for keeping it on the ground. Also, my Callaways don't easily allow me to hit low hooks/slices out of trouble like my old Ping ISI long irons used to do.

Apart from TM and Cleveland, I've read good things about the Nickent hybrids: anyone play them?

Please keep your suggestions coming, they're much appreciated.

if you are looking for an in between your 3 and 4 iron i recomend the 22* taylormade rescue dual. i've got a 14* and 19* rescue dual tp and love them. the 14* is for when i am not hitting the 3 wood well and the 19* is a mix club. its longer than my 3-iron, but a little shorter than my 5 wood. i will carry it and the 3 iron. i can tone it down to match the 3 iron, but if i really muscle it is good for a 5 wood. what i like is it has a high ball flight and lands on greens nicely.

if you don't have a problem with slicing, or you draw the ball a lot you might want to consider the tp version because it has less offset.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

the Nickent 3DX hybrids are great, and not too expensive. I can't wait to try the new "DC"

version that just came out. they come in 1.5* gaps, so you should be able to replace any distance you want.

your 5 wood is probably 18* so the 20* or 21.5* version would be a great 3 iron replacement. then if you want to replace the 4 iron, just add 3*....so you'de end up with 20 and 23, or 21.5* and 24.5* which may better duplicate your iron yardages.

I personally really liked the Nickent hybrids. That probably would have been the winner, but like I said I got that dual so cheap I couldn't pass on it.

The nickents look and feel very solid in opinion. I can't say much for the offest, I probably couldn't tell much difference between the TP dual and the normal one unless they were right next to each other, and I don't know how the offset of the nickents compare.

the Nickent 3DX hybrids are great, and not too expensive. I can't wait to try the new "DC"

version that just came out. they come in 1.5* gaps, so you should be able to replace any distance you want.

your 5 wood is probably 18* so the 20* or 21.5* version would be a great 3 iron replacement. then if you want to replace the 4 iron, just add 3*....so you'de end up with 20 and 23, or 21.5* and 24.5* which may better duplicate your iron yardages.

You're right, my 5-wood is 18*. My X-14's are +1/2", so my current #3 is 21* @ 39.50" long, and the #4 is 23.5* @ 39" long. I'm going to start demoing at 22* and see what kind of results I get.

if you are looking for an in between your 3 and 4 iron i recomend the 22* taylormade rescue dual. i've got a 14* and 19* rescue dual tp and love them. the 14* is for when i am not hitting the 3 wood well and the 19* is a mix club. its longer than my 3-iron, but a little shorter than my 5 wood. i will carry it and the 3 iron. i can tone it down to match the 3 iron, but if i really muscle it is good for a 5 wood. what i like is it has a high ball flight and lands on greens nicely.

if you don't have a problem with slicing, or you draw the ball a lot you might want to consider the tp version because it has less offset.

Good advice on the TM TP. I have also changed the weights in mine to a neutral 8:8 configuration rather than the hooky default setting.

even before i hit the club i switched to the 8-8 setup. i prefer to play a straight or mild fade. the 8-8 gives that to me, although i must confess, i hit a wicked draw saturday off the tee. it was all me. don't even want to think what it would have been if i had the club setup for draw

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

Nikent definately makes some good hybrids and I have played them before. They are solid and easy to work the ball with.

One you might want to look into that nobody has mentioned are the Adams hybrids. They have 2 besigns out that I think are the best looking hybrid's I have ever seen. They have the A2 which is now the #1 hybrid on the Nationwide tour and also used on the PGA Tour now. But the one that may surprise you is the A2 OS. Looks like the A2 only slightly bigger head and easier to get the ball up in the air with. I actually play the A2 OS I think mainly because I like the Grafalloy Hybrid shaft they put in it instead of the NV Hybrid shaft they put in the A2. Keep these in mind they are inexpensive retail $149.99 and are fast becoming #1 on all tours.

Managed to fit in a couple of hours at the golf store this afternoon while out Christmas shopping for the wife. Tried the Rescue Dual in 22*, and the corresonding Halo and Nickent 3DX hybrids.

All in all, I hit the TaylorMade the straightest, and there wasn't much in the distance between any of the three. Also liked the look of the Rescue Dual more than the others.

Took a #4 home to try, and should get out later this week to see how it plays. From what I was seeing on the launch monitor, it was playing somewhere in between my 3 and 4 irons for distance, but with a higher ball flight - seemed really easy to get up in the air.

Thanks for all the advice: I'll let you know how I fare out on the course.

Currently, I have driver, #3 & #5 woods, and 4-iron thru' LW (Callaway X-14's) in my bag. As I no longer carry a 3-iron, I've seriously been contemplating putting a hybrid into play to fill the gap between my #5 wood and 4-iron. If all goes well with this substitution, I'd like to take the 4-iron out too and put another hybrid in it's place.

I hit my #5 wood about 200 yards or so, and my 4-iron around 175, so my question is, "What loft of hybrid should I be looking at to fill this gap?"

I know that the shafts in hybrids are longer than the corresponding long irons they replace, but shorter than fairway woods, so what loft hybrid will fit the bill for me?

Taking the TM Rescue Dual as an example, it is available in #2(16° loft), #3(19°), #4(22°), and #5(25°) versions. I've not checked yet, but I believe the X-14 lofts to be around 20° for the 3-iron, and 22° for the 4. Even though the TM #4 is 22°, will the longer shaft in it make it a direct 3-iron replacement? Or am I trying to make this more complicated than it is, and really should be playing the TM #3 in 19° because it's labelled as a #3?

Please help. This is all new to me, and I'd like to know where to start.

In addition, what would be your make/model recommendations? I'm a 14 h'cap with ~90 mph SS with the driver.

My game is very similar to yours... I'm 53 and play to a 9 hcp (my short game is very solid). My SS is around 90-92 mph on average. My longerst iron is a 6i. Check out my stats.

Cleveland Launcher Ti460 10.5* - 250+ yds

Cleveland Launcher 4W 17* - 230 yds

Mizuno F-50 5W - 215 yds

Taylor Made 200 7W - 200 yds

Mizuno CLK 23* - 190 yds

Hogan CFT 5h 27* - 175 yds

RAC LT 6i - 160, 7i - 150, 8i - 140, 9i - 125, PW 110

Cleveland CG10 52* 90, 58* 70

I love my Mizuno and Hogan hybrids... the Hogan 5h is deadly accurate from 165 to 175. The CLK is great from 180 to 190 and my TM200 7W flies real high and lands at 200 yds like a pitching wedge.

I've learned to hit many types of shots with my PW, GW and SW. I get a lot of up and downs for par (usually average 10 pars per round)...so with one or two birdies and keeping the big numbers off, I'm able to shoot high 70s, low 80s --- which is great for me since I only play 2-3 times a month.

My friends tease me about all my headcovers (4 woods and 2 hybrids) but I usually manage to end up with a better score somehow.

Go hybrids!!!!

Can't go wrong with that loft in the Sonartec MD hybrids. I play them and love it. Very popular on the European tour. :dntknw:

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Head Golf Professional @ Peninsula Golf Resort, KY[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Srixon & UST Mamiya Staff Member[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Srixon Z565 9.5*, UST Mamiya Elements Prototype 7F5T[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon ZF65 15. UST Mamiya ATTAS T2 8X[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon U45 19*, UST Mamiya iRod 85F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon Z765 3-PW. UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 125 F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist Vokey TVD 52/58 M-Grind, UST Mamiya Wedge Proto F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport 2, Frequency Filter shaft[/font]

Firstly, just a brief intro. I am new to this board, I am 51 play on the Sunbelt and Heartlands tour and just returned from Senior Europen Q-School in Algarve, so I guess I can play just a little (LOL) My swing has a shallow attack angle. (Who cares right) (LOL)

In my experience the Sonartec is one of the more difficult hybrids to hit (As hybrids go, but still WAY easier to hit than a 2 or 3 iron). They do however provide a lower boring trajectory. I have a 19 degree bent to 17. This opened the face up 2 degrees and provded a little fade when needed. I still had reall problems hitting a high soft landing shot into hard greens. The club was build by hotstix in Arizona and though my Driver SS is 109, they fitted me with a 105 gram x-Stiff shaft which I thought would be way to much. It works however. This club goes in and out of my bag depending on the course I have to play.

My permanent hybrid is a Nickent 3DX 19 degree (tour head). This club is really easy to hit, you can work it up and down, left and right, looks good behind the ball and as an added advantage it works really well for the little chips around the green when you are up against a collar.

The Cleveland Halo really is forgiving and hits the ball really high, the ball floats and lands soft but if you need to knock it down or hit something low and boring it will prove challenging and I have a shallow attack angle (knew there was a reason I mentioned it earlier). One other thing about the Halo, I had 3 of them and each was more lofted than advertized. (21, 21.5, 22 degrees)

I did not like the TM's (personal choice) but many of the guys I play with have them in their bags so do not discount them and I have not hit the new Ping yet.

IMO you need to look at what kind of conditions you typically play in, if you play in wet windy conditions then you are going to hate the utilities that hit high floating shots. (self expalnatory). I would look at all the utilities and test them, and find the ones that best suit your swing.

My vote is for the Nickent but that is just my opinion, I have not tried the new models as my old club is just to good to mess with.

As for bag setup, you may want to look at loosing the 5 wood and having a Driver, 3 wood, 2 utilities and start at 4 iron. Play with length and lofts until you get what you want to fill your gaps, seldom will you find exactly what you want off the shelf.

Lastly cheap is not cheap if you have to keep replacing it, do a lot of testing, hit it at the range and try and hit the ball you typically play with as range balls do not behave like your ball.

Don't forget the Mizuno CLK

Hope this helps

:dntknw:

i think you have 2 options. i have a 16* and i hit 230. this isnt as far as a 4 wood would go although the degree is about the same. this is because of the size of the head. the hybrid will go a little shorter than the fairway wood that has about the same degree. as for irons to hybrids the hybrid will go a little longer. so i think your 2 options are, take the 19* and cut it down maybe an inch or two, which should bring more control along with a similar distance. or take the 22* n make it a little longer like an inch or two which might bring a less controlable club depending on how you feel with the extra length. my advice is take the 19* make it shorter and bring the control of that club into your game.

i think you have 2 options. i have a 16* and i hit 230. this isnt as far as a 4 wood would go although the degree is about the same. this is because of the size of the head. the hybrid will go a little shorter than the fairway wood that has about the same degree. as for irons to hybrids the hybrid will go a little longer. so i think your 2 options are, take the 19* and cut it down maybe an inch or two, which should bring more control along with a similar distance. or take the 22* n make it a little longer like an inch or two which might bring a less controlable club depending on how you feel with the extra length. my advice is take the 19* make it shorter and bring the control of that club into your game.

the head size doesn't make a club longer, rather the length of shaft and the loft. if you took a 19* 2 iron, 19* 5-wood, and 19* hybrid but different shaft lengths, the longer shaft is going to be longest. the 5-wood would be most forging with the larger head.