Metaflex Golf Shaft from SJ Golf Lab - Surprising Results

Mob

So I recently bought the Metaflex 5H shaft and have been testing it on my simulator over the past few months.  The numbers on the simulator look really good.  It is about 2 to 3 miles an hour faster ball speed with this shaft compared to my Ventus Red, which is the best shaft I have played to date.  It is also typically about 8 to 10 yards longer as well.  The 1 downside is that it launches 1 to 2 degrees higher, so I had to turn my Titleist driver down to 8 degrees to get the proper launch window. My biggest concern with all of these lightweight whippy shafts has always been dispersion.  I owned an Autoflex for a while and while the well struck shots were 10 yards past my normal driver, the dispersion was worse.  I could not swing aggressively with the Autoflex or the results were not good.  The same happened with the Freeflex shaft which is another similar type shaft.  I finally got the Metaflex out for a full round and decent weather yesterday.  This shaft is similar in nature to the Autoflex or Freeflex shafts.  Freeflex is also made by SJ Golf Lab, fyi.  Light weight, and whippy when waggling it.  You can look at the article on this site, on the shaft to get a sense of what the technology is.

https://www.golfwrx.com/727489/beyond-limits-carbon-bending-and-the-future-of-shaft-manufacturing/

I hit 12 out of 14 Fairway's yesterday which is remarkable for me.  I usually hit 50 to 60% of the Fairway's in a normal round.  Distance was as good or better than my Ventus Red.  I found that this shaft help me develop a good tempo and rhythm with my swing which also helps with my iron shots during the round.  I would agree with the article on the Metaflex shaft, while it does feel like a noodle when waggling it, I do not notice this in the downswing.  I was really surprised honestly to see such incredible results.  While I know that 1 round is no guarantee for future success, this is certainly a great starting point.  All my golfing buddies know that I like to try different shafts and change them out all the time.  They all remarked that it was the best driving round they have ever seen me have and that I would be crazy to ever take the shaft out of the bag.

Edited by Mob
  • Like 2

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

• 2 weeks later...

I have one in my AI-Smoke 8degree., 6H though.  I have found similar results.  The thing is just amazing and has blown away all previous numbers in on the monitor.  It took a couple rounds to get used to but the results are beyond my expectations.  I bought sight unseen, only after reading the review on here did I go out and get one.

I am hitting it longer, the launch angle has been improved, the spin is where it should be and the dispersion rates are significantly better than the GD AD that I had in before.  One of the guys I regularly play with has ordered one.  I am 46 and averaging 282 with this driver, which is +8 over 100 shots than the GD.  The 8 yards doesn't make or break me but the confidence and on average I am hitting 46%, with 22% right and 32% left. fairways a round.  That is pretty good in my book.

The only other thing I want to try is the Brava SE.  Been holding off because I just can't justify the spend because of the numbers I am currently getting on my Metaflex.

• Like 2

Driver - Callaway Paradym Smoke AI 8o w/ Metaflex 6H

Woods - Sub 70 949x w/Freeflex UT

Iron's - Titleist T150 4-PW w/ Modus 3 X softstepped, finish done by Jason at txcustomgolf.com, Ping iCrossover 2 - 18o w/ Metaflex ix90

GEOM Combo CB/MB w/ Modus 3S special matte black 2019 shafts, custom BB&FCo ferrules and No1 Grips

Wedges - Joe Kwok custom 48° S grind, 53° H grind, 58° D grind w/ Modus 3 wedge shafts, finish done by Jason at txcustomgolf.com😁

Putter - Bettinardi Queen B #14 35" w/ BGT Stability Carbon shaft but looking for something else.

Golf Ball - Vice Pro, Maxfli Tour X, Mizuno RBX

Bag - Ping Hoofer and Nevr Looz Cart bag (best bag ever!!!!)

I have not seen the Brava shaft. I’ll have to take a look

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)

A friend of mine had one and I was able to pop it in my TSR3 driver. I only took about 20 swings, but I noticed an increase of 4-5 MPH swing speed and an increase of ball speed of 5-6 MPH. My typical ball speed and carry is around 167 MPH with a carry of 285 yards, and after just a few swings, I was carrying over 300 yards with ball speeds around 173 MPH, something I have never seen.

I hadn't heard of it before that, but reading the article that @Mob referenced has definitely made me a believer.

• Like 2

I have a few rounds with it now. I have gotten used to the kick and now other shafts feel boardy.  Big issue for me will be percentages of Fairways hit. If I can exceed 50% on a regular basis with the shaft, that would be a step up.

LEFT HANDED

10 hours ago, Mob said:

I have a few rounds with it now. I have gotten used to the kick and now other shafts feel boardy.  Big issue for me will be percentages of Fairways hit. If I can exceed 50% on a regular basis with the shaft, that would be a step up.

How much kick are we talking here?  AD DI kick?  I saw the specs and the heaviest and stiffest model CPM out in the 250's.  I've tested the Autoflex and it was super light and whippy which caused me timing issues.  Is the Metaflex similar?  This is why I hesitate to pull the trigger on all these ultralite whippy shafts. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

35 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

How much kick are we talking here?  AD DI kick?  I saw the specs and the heaviest and stiffest model CPM out in the 250's.  I've tested the Autoflex and it was super light and whippy which caused me timing issues.  Is the Metaflex similar?  This is why I hesitate to pull the trigger on all these ultralite whippy shafts. 

Hard to say, since feel is so subjective.  I can tell you that I had an Autoflex and had to sell it do to dispersion issues.  The Metaflex has a much tighter dispersion, at least for my swing.  I'm not sure if any of these shafts work for someone with a swing that is overly aggressive in the transition from the top.  This shaft has also helped me work on tempo, which has been positive throughout the bag.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

LEFT HANDED

Just now, Mob said:

Hard to say, since feel is so subjective.  I can tell you that I had an Autoflex and had to sell it do to dispersion issues.  The Metaflex has a much tighter dispersion, at least for my swing.  I'm not sure if any of these shafts work for someone with a swing that is overly aggressive in the transition from the top.  This shaft has also helped me work on tempo, which has been positive throughout the bag.

I'm a handle yanker so I'll end up passing on the Metaflex then.  I've been reading up on the Proxima and Brava shafts and those seem to favor smooth swingers as well.  Maybe someone will produce an ultralite shaft that can withstand violent swings like mine someday.  Until then, it's back to heavy rebar shafts for me, lol. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

3 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

I'm a handle yanker so I'll end up passing on the Metaflex then.  I've been reading up on the Proxima and Brava shafts and those seem to favor smooth swingers as well.  Maybe someone will produce an ultralite shaft that can withstand violent swings like mine someday.  Until then, it's back to heavy rebar shafts for me, lol. 

Probably a smart move. Whenever I do yank on the shaft at the top of the swing, it’s usually a poor result.

• Thanks 1

LEFT HANDED

Interesting concept in their process of shaft making. 

I for one never really paid attention to CPMs on a specific shaft cause I cannot feel CPMs but i can definitely feel torque of one and obviously can feel the weight. 

Would love to try one but a blind buy $550 is definitely out of the question. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm like the OP, been testing a MetaFlex 5H over the winter, and took it out for the first two rounds of the year this past weekend.

Can say I'm SUPER happy. head is a Cobra Darkspeed LS 8*. Added a 16g heel weight, 6g back weight, standard 3g toe weight. With my jumbo grip (damn arthritis) it comes in at D0 still, at 45.75" playing length.

Just hitting lasers, curvature of the ball is WAY down, nice being able to pick a target and have it go where you want haha. Good penetrating flight, spin on the trackman inside shows 2500 + or - a coupe hundy,

depending on strike, so overall I'm happy as a clam. So far averaging 284 according to Arccos, not bad for a sprightly 55 yr old with gimpy hands lol.

• Like 2

It has been so popular for me. I have two close friends that have now decided to purchase the shaft. One decided on the CBT 5H and one decided on the FF38. 

I did by mine blind after reading about it and just listening to the differences of the way that they're made. I think it was a huge gamble but it definitely paid off. Not only does it work well, but it is a great talking point for everyone that sees me swing it. They can't believe that something like that actually hits the ball that far and that well. 

I actually decided to get the CBTs ix90 for my irons, again sight unseen. 

TX custom golf (TXCustomgolf.com) just became a dealer for them. I'm not sure if they're offering any discounts or anything at this time, but I know that they liked them enough that they're going to start to carry them. This is where I bought mine from. They gave me a pretty good deal considering how much I bought from them and how often I get my clubs worked on there. Looked them up as they are up and coming and they do some absolutely stunning work on clubs, I can attest as I've had my wedges, my irons, and two of my putters done there. 

I honestly believe it's the best shaft I've ever hit. The only other thing that I hit that slightly similar, and I haven't hit an autoflex, is the BGT brava SE and wasn't as big of a fan as the metaflex. 

Edited by onyxwulf
  • Like 3

Iron's - Titleist T150 4-PW w/ Modus 3 X softstepped, finish done by Jason at txcustomgolf.com, Ping iCrossover 2 - 18o w/ Metaflex ix90

GEOM Combo CB/MB w/ Modus 3S special matte black 2019 shafts, custom BB&FCo ferrules and No1 Grips

Wedges - Joe Kwok custom 48° S grind, 53° H grind, 58° D grind w/ Modus 3 wedge shafts, finish done by Jason at txcustomgolf.com😁

Putter - Bettinardi Queen B #14 35" w/ BGT Stability Carbon shaft but looking for something else.

13 hours ago, onyxwulf said:

It has been so popular for me. I have two close friends that have now decided to purchase the shaft. One decided on the CBT 5H and one decided on the FF38. 

I did by mine blind after reading about it and just listening to the differences of the way that they're made. I think it was a huge gamble but it definitely paid off. Not only does it work well, but it is a great talking point for everyone that sees me swing it. They can't believe that something like that actually hits the ball that far and that well. 

I actually decided to get the CBTs ix90 for my irons, again sight unseen. 

TX custom golf (TXCustomgolf.com) just became a dealer for them. I'm not sure if they're offering any discounts or anything at this time, but I know that they liked them enough that they're going to start to carry them. This is where I bought mine from. They gave me a pretty good deal considering how much I bought from them and how often I get my clubs worked on there. Looked them up as they are up and coming and they do some absolutely stunning work on clubs, I can attest as I've had my wedges, my irons, and two of my putters done there. 

I honestly believe it's the best shaft I've ever hit. The only other thing that I hit that slightly similar, and I haven't hit an autoflex, is the BGT brava SE and wasn't as big of a fan as the metaflex. 

I've ordered a meta iron shaft to try in the 7 before I jump in for the whole set, but with the light weight, and my achy hands, I hope it's a winner. 

I also have their (Freeflex) shafts in my BRNR mini drier, 3w, 5w, and (soon as I build it) hybrid. The Brnr and FW45 is a monster, looooove that combo😍

• Like 2

I saw the article about Metaflex a while back and followed up with the other one about Freeflex. Both sounded too good to be true but then I had a chance to try it from a guy I was playjng with. Holy hell it was pure. I think he had the flashy color ff45. I ordered one in blue carbon the next week and have loved it ever since. Best thing is it's easy to swing and still gets me past where I was with Tensei 50s. With better FIR too. Its a no brainer and now I'm looking to get the woods and hybrids soon. The Metaflex concept sounds cool but Freeflex is money for me so don't want to take any chance of messing up a good thing.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2024 at 10:55 PM, phizzy30 said:

I only average about 97mph swing so I was trying the Metaflex CBT 5H. It felt like much stiffer during the actual swing from the initial waggle. My friend who swings about 115mph liked the 6H a lot and also said it didn't feel soft at all when swung hard. He says he couldn't pull the 6.5M shaft to the left despite his best effort and that it felt stiff like ventus black 6x that he normally games. Their website does say Metaflex shafts are for faster speed players and can be used by fast jerky transitions too. I'll stick with my ff45 Freeflex tho as it is smooth and easy to swing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Look what TXcustomgolf.com did for me. 

The UT shafts on both my 949 x sub 70 and my ping icrossover. 

PXL_20240328_035948131.jpg

PXL_20240328_035927056.jpg

PXL_20240328_035922764.jpg

Edited by onyxwulf
  • Like 2

In my opinion, the dragon skin golf grips are the best on the market. They're a little bit expensive but worth every penny. I rotate between the No1 grips and then the dragon skin grips. I put the dragon skin on all my woods and long irons and then the No1 all my short irons. 

I think that TX custom golf is giving some good deals on the dragon skin grips. Hit up [email protected] to see what they can do for you.

For real, there's no other grips like them on the market.