Bridgestone Tour B XS vs. Pro v1 (with some data)

Wonderboy

I've been playing the pro v1 for many years now and I love the performance of it.  The latest iteration of the pro v1 is the best across the board.  I prefer low spinning off the driver and higher spin around the game for the short game.  Lately I was wondering what else is out there and have tried the Bridgestone Tour B XS.  I like the feel of the Bridgestone, nice and soft without being too soft so it maintains feel.  The compression of the Bridgestone is a tad lower at 75 vs the 90 compression of the pro v1.  I got some data from a GC quad indoor simulator and here are my numbers from a 7 iron (Titleist T150) and driver (TSR 2 9 deg):                                      

Bridgestone XS              

7 iron:                                                 Driver:

avg carry= 169y                                 avg carry= 259

avg total= 180                                    avg total= 285

avg spin= 5506                                  avg spin= 1982

avg ball speed= 151

Titleist Pro V1

7 iron:                                                  Driver:

avg carry= 173.5                                 avg carry= 256

avg total= 185                                     avg total= 281

avg spin= 4912                                   avg spin= 2212

avg ball speed= 151

Edited by Wonderboy
  • Like 3

Titleist TSR 9* TPT 18lo

Titleist TSR 3 wood 15* TPT 18lo

Titleist TSR 5 wood 18* AD DI 8S

Titleist T200 4i PX LZ 6.0

Titleist T150 5-9i PX LZ 6.0

Titleist T100 PW 45* PX LZ 6.0

Vokey SM9 50* PX LZ 6.0 

Vokey SM9 54* PX wedge 6.0

Vokey SM9 60* PX wedge 6.0

LAB Mezz Max TPT

• Wonderboy changed the title to Bridgestone Tour B XS vs. Pro v1 (with some data)

Hands down, my two favorite golf balls.  I play the 2022 B XS because the performance, for me, is equal to the Pro V1 at around 1/2 the cost.  

• Like 1

Cobra Aerojet LS 10*

Cobra Aerojet  3W 16*

TaylorMade Qi10 7W 21*

TaylorMade Qi 5-G

Callaway Opus 54S & 60S

Ping Fetch

Bridgestone B XS yellow 

Great comparison and thanks for the data @Wonderboy.

QQ:  how do you find approach shot height & spin on the Bridgestone Tour B XS?

I currently game ProV1X & similar, but suffer from hitting short irons toooo high [ 120'+ apex ].  I've tested playing with ProV1 and it's much better for me.  Would greatly appreciate your thoughts on B-XS [ or B-X ] since I really like their feel putting & around green, but haven't taken them out on course yet.

Thanks for any input!

Titleist TSi3 9*, Ventus Black 6X

Titleist TSi3 15*, Ventus Blue 7X

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid, Tensei Black 1k 9x

4i-Pw Mizuno 223, KBS C-Taper S 120

Mizuno T20 51.08, C-Taper S+ 125 spinner

T22 56.10, T20 61.07, C-Taper X 130 spinners

Swag Savage Too Proto putter

Bridgestone Tour B XS

1 hour ago, jefecoon said:

I currently game ProV1X & similar, but suffer from hitting short irons toooo high [ 120'+ apex ].  I've tested playing with ProV1 and it's much better for me.  Would greatly appreciate your thoughts on B-XS [ or B-X ] since I really like their feel putting & around green, but haven't taken them out on course yet.

Thanks for any input!

Not @Wonderboy, but I have played Bridgestone balls for many years. I played the ‘20BXS until switching to the ‘22BX. The ‘24 BXS is really good and a significant improvement of the driver. It has a more penetrating flight and the only ball on the market that spins as much around the green is the new CTX. Essentially you’ll get just as much distance, just as much spin, with lower flight and softer feel over the V1X. Plus its so much better in the wind.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

25 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

Not @Wonderboy, but I have played Bridgestone balls for many years. I played the ‘20BXS until switching to the ‘22BX. The ‘24 BXS is really good and a significant improvement of the driver. It has a more penetrating flight and the only ball on the market that spins as much around the green is the new CTX. Essentially you’ll get just as much distance, just as much spin, with lower flight and softer feel over the V1X. Plus its so much better in the wind.

Which of the New Bridgestone balls would Fit the closest to the new CT? My driver is around 95-100, and the CT is a Beast of a Ball for me! Just thought about switching because of the price on the CTs

12 minutes ago, Longdriver295 said:

Which of the New Bridgestone balls would Fit the closest to the new CT? My driver is around 95-100, and the CT is a Beast of a Ball for me! Just thought about switching because of the price on the CTs

The BX performance wise, but it may feel a bit firmer. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

9 hours ago, jefecoon said:

Thanks for any input!

I played with the Bridgestone Tour B XS just the other day and I was very happy with the performance.  VERY similar in ball flight with the pro v1.  I have no problem getting my irons up in the air and the XS does not balloon at all.  My critique of balls in the past when I put them up against the pro v1 is a lack of consistency.  I like it to feel the same from tee to green.  It had good pop off the driver, good off the irons (very good), and good green side spin when chipping.  I found a lot of balls get a bit clicky with the wedges but the Bridgestone was definitely consistent throughout.  Even putting it was responsive but not too soft so you can maintain feel with the putter.  The XS is the closest thing I have found to date to go head to head with the pro v1 for me.  My average peak height for the 7 iron was 104.7 feet. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR 9* TPT 18lo

Vokey SM9 50* PX LZ 6.0 

LAB Mezz Max TPT

Thanks very much for the great info @hammergolf and @Wonderboy, very much appreciated!

Actually played 18 yesterday with the Tour B XS; my quick notes:

- height:  I feel like I actually had some basic trajectory control; able to hit low or low-mid shots into wind even with PW, and able to launch high shots with driver down wind.

- wind:  got windy on back 9; found both B X and B XS to have nice penetrating ball flight into the wind.

- putting:  I was leaving everything short, and bummed I didn't make a single birdie putt.  Could have been greens playing tiny bit slower after thunderstorm rains this past week, and/or could have been me not adjusting or not having muscle memory of slightly softer feel off putter.  Probably more the latter.

- distance:  fine, didn't feel any substantial distance shorter than ProV1X, similar.  I'm also trying to *not* swing out of my shoes, so less concerned about this as present.

- spin:  great; e.g. had 220 yd downwind par 3, and 4 iron released about 4' from ball.  Seems very good.

Again, greatly appreciate your info and feedback.

Now I'm off to order TourBXS!

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9*, Ventus Black 6X

Titleist TSi3 15*, Ventus Blue 7X

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid, Tensei Black 1k 9x

4i-Pw Mizuno 223, KBS C-Taper S 120

Mizuno T20 51.08, C-Taper S+ 125 spinner

T22 56.10, T20 61.07, C-Taper X 130 spinners

Swag Savage Too Proto putter

Bridgestone Tour B XS

Switched to the BXS a few years ago and have never looked back. Did tinker with the 2024 BX and it is much better than previous generations however, keep going back to the BXS. Might sound crazy but to me the ProV1 feels heavy off the club face.

Love the shot shaping capabilities of the BXS and around the greens the added "facetime" coming off wedges has helped with my feel and spin control. 

• Like 2

On 7/15/2024 at 8:21 PM, Wonderboy said:

The compression of the Bridgestone is a tad lower at 75 vs the 90 compression of the pro v1.

Bridgestone measures compression differently than Titleist. Using the same MGS metric, the BXS is 84 and the V1 87.

The BXS’s real calling card is the ability to generate spin inside 50 yards.

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Diamana S+ 60 S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

30 minutes ago, Jeff58 said:

Bridgestone measures compression differently than Titleist. Using the same MGS metric, the BXS is 84 and the V1 87.

How close would the BXS come to the Chrome Tour in performance?

Edited by Longdriver295

39 minutes ago, Jeff58 said:

Thanks.  That would explain why they feel so similar off the club face.  You are right, the BXS spins really well from 50y and in.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR 9* TPT 18lo

Vokey SM9 50* PX LZ 6.0 

LAB Mezz Max TPT

13 hours ago, Longdriver295 said:

How close would the BXS come to the Chrome Tour in performance?

The BXS will be have a slightly lower trajectory, more spin, less distance off long clubs. The Chrome Tour still retains some CX S LS genes, though it’s certainly not a straight evolution. The BXS has a serious trick though, which makes direct comparison incomplete.

Once upon a time I had access to a Trackman with full flight, but that is lost. This year has seen more full line ball overhauls than I can recall, and my want of tracking the changes is lacking. 

My favorite Callaway ball ever was the last CX S LS, and its loss is unfortunate. The Chrome Tour evolution from the CS X LS is similar to what happened to the 2019 TP5x, except where the 2021 TP5x became more like the V1x, the Chrome Tour became more of Callaway’s V1 fighter. It’s a V1 with slightly higher trajectory and lower spin off long clubs. Good characteristics generally. However, the Chrome Tour is now quite similar to the Vice Pro, which obviously costs less. At least the previous Vice Pro *sigh*.

Previous BXS versions were IMO some of the worst possible choice for the majority of golfers. Their calling card was that they spun too much. That wasn’t really useful for full wedges and short irons, where more “normal” balls are already adequate. The downside was that they were overly affected by wind and tilt axis / side spin. In terms of scoring, almost everyone was actually better off using the e6, since even a single ball saved overrides the BXS’s spin advantage.

I found a BXS with the Bridgestone Mindset. My first hole is a long par 4 from the back. The final 100 yards is downhill. If you leave it short, you have a 20-40 yard downhill lie with a trap in front. Essentially an impossible shot. I was playing a Tour Response, which I knew had no chance, so pulled out the BXS. It landed hole high and stopped within 2 yards. Never had that happen. Twice more during the round I had similar shots that stopped remarkably quickly. The other side, just as impressive, was that the rest of its flight characteristics were essentially normal, and very similar to the higher trajectory V1-class models.

The newest BXS appears to be a real evolution in the line, and close to a unique product. Very impressive, and likely very overlooked by the majority of potential buyers who have already moved on from prior versions.

Edited by Jeff58
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Jeff58 said:

The BXS will be have a slightly lower trajectory, more spin, less distance off long clubs. The Chrome Tour still retains some CX S LS genes, though it’s certainly not a straight evolution. The BXS has a serious trick though, which makes direct comparison incomplete.

Once upon a time I had access to a Trackman with full flight, but that is lost. This year has seen more full line ball overhauls than I can recall, and my want of tracking the changes is lacking. 

My favorite Callaway ball ever was the last CX S LS, and its loss is unfortunate. The Chrome Tour evolution from the CS X LS is similar to what happened to the 2019 TP5x, except where the 2021 TP5x became more like the V1x, the Chrome Tour became more of Callaway’s V1 fighter. It’s a V1 with slightly higher trajectory and lower spin off long clubs. Good characteristics generally. However, the Chrome Tour is now quite similar to the Vice Pro, which obviously costs less. At least the previous Vice Pro *sigh*.

Previous BXS versions were IMO some of the worst possible choice for the majority of golfers. Their calling card was that they spun too much. That wasn’t really useful for full wedges and short irons, where more “normal” balls are already adequate. The downside was that they were overly affected by wind and tilt axis / side spin. In terms of scoring, almost everyone was actually better off using the e6, since even a single ball saved overrides the BXS’s spin advantage.

I found a BXS with the Bridgestone Mindset. My first hole is a long par 4 from the back. The final 100 yards is downhill. If you leave it short, you have a 20-40 yard downhill lie with a trap in front. Essentially an impossible shot. I was playing a Tour Response, which I knew had no chance, so pulled out the BXS. It landed hole high and stopped within 2 yards. Never had that happen. Twice more during the round I had similar shots that stopped remarkably quickly. The other side, just as impressive, was that the rest of its flight characteristics were essentially normal, and very similar to the higher trajectory V1-class models.

The newest BXS appears to be a real evolution in the line, and close to a unique product. Very impressive, and likely very overlooked by the majority of potential buyers who have already moved on from prior versions.

@Jeff58Thanks I e been playing the CT and Love the Ball, I would just like to find a very close "cheaper" alternative. Just not sure I'm gonna find a ball as good as the CT for me. That Ball is best fit I've played, I just hate the 55 Bucks price!

Edited by Longdriver295

IMO Vice Pro and Maxfli Tour X are just great balls at this point. 

Another is here, just don’t tell anybody else or they’ll sell out too quickly.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/wilson-staff-model-golf-balls-20wsfustffmdlwht1gbl/20wsfustffmdlwht1gbl

• Like 1