2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

can u beat a scratch golfer?

spacedust

made a bet to beat a scratch golfer playing from red tees.
i made a bet that i can beat a scratch golfer. (proceeds to be donated to charity, its only $100 bucks).

under one condition, he play from the tips, i play from the red tees.

tips approximately 6900 yds. the red tees 5200 yards.

i'm a mid 80's player from the blues. (6500 yards).

i looked at the scorecard we might play. at 5200 yards. all par 4's would be driver/wedge. or iron/iron. some almost driveable if i crush one. the par 5's are like long par 4's and reachable in 2 for sure. all par 3's are short irons.

has anyone ever tried to make this kind of bet? or played from the red tees?

i know he's good. he will probably par it from the tips. i'm guessing i will have to hit either 1 over, even par or under par to beat him.

i like my chances from looking at the scorecard. it looks so short, i'm going to try to play it once before the real bet, just to see how it goes.

what do you guys think? :cheesy: :cheesy: :partytime2:

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, I have experimented from the ladies' tees recently. You would be surprised how much more trouble comes into play off the tee, and some of the awkward yardages you will get. Good luck, though. Don't just assume you will shoot 65, you have to play hard and give yourself reasonable birdie putts, even though you are so far up.

I'm a 10h and I play from the reds from time to time at my club to keep thing interesting and different. I usually shoot low to mid 80's from the Blues (6500y 71.9/129). Best from the reds is 75. You will be surprise how much S>>T you never had to deal with before comes into play from the fwd tees with a driver in your hand. It boils down to short game and putting, period.

That said, I think you're dead. :cheesy:

It depends on where your weaknesses are. If you've got a good short game and can handle the pressure of hanging around, or under par for an entire round you've got a shot.

thanks for the neutral encouragement. :cheesy:

i guess it will come down to course management and short game.

you want us to lie to you? I just hope a hundred wont hurt much. I am cheap it would kill me :cheesy:

here's my take...

i am female. i would consider myself to be an above average female golfer compared to most amateurs male or female. i hit the tee ball the same distance or slightly longer than my average male counterpart. i usually play from tee's between 6100 and 6600 in length. of course, when i get picked up for the four-man scramble as the 'ringer' from the red/ladies tee's......on par 4's, i get bitched at the whole time because i always leave them in awkward half wedge shots into the pin...or i drove it pin high...in a bunker...blah blah...

i move back on the tee box because playing from the front tee sucks....good luck.

you have zero chance...

i'll see. I'm a tenacious competitor. don't mind being a little bit of an underdog.

i should have at least an eagle chip on every par five, so i expect to birdie at least 2 of the 4 par 5's.

all the short par 3's i should have a birdie chip or putt- so as long as i don't 3 putt here, on the par 3's i should be at even par or under.

as long as i stay away from trouble, ie bunker/water/rough. most par 4's (280-330 yards) are 5-wood then wedge. or easy driver/wedge.

i can back up the ball with my spin milled titleist wedges. so i will be playing a high spinning ball on this day to stick the greens. and i'm descent from the bunkers anyway, i'm fairly confident as long as i have a descent lie.

i still have no chance?

UNLESS the scratch golfer has a bad day and you, my friend, have a great ball striking, chipping, and putting day, my money is on the scratch golfer. Best of luck tho! Should be a fun experiment no doubt.

Qi10 Max 9* ~ TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

Muira 302 ~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

i don't see how a mid 80's player plans to shoot a round of par, from the ladies tees...

if i knew what kind of player you were i could make a better judgement, mid to low 80's is what i normally shoot at the moment, and i can blow tee shots into trouble all day... i can miss ALOT of greens even from 100 yards in on some days... just because you're closer to the hole, it doesn't automatically cut a stroke off every hole you're going to play... i'll be very interested to see this turns out...

if you are an excellent chipper than maybe you'll be able to get up and down alot, but if you were an excellent chipper / pitcher, you'd already be in the 70's consistently...

That is six or seven "I should"!!!!! Lets hope the planet lines up and Murphy stays home!!

We're not rooting against ya man, we're just being honest.

I do it at least once a month and believe me that it looks a lot easier on the srorecard!!

It is fun and eye opening though.

Distance is just a number (up to a point). Longer always means harder but shorter does not automaticaly means easier. How many times do we bomb it to inside 100y and still walk away with bogey.....or worse? Wetter the tee shot started at 400 or 310, you still have to get it the hole from where it stops.

Nuts,

1. If the guy manages the course well, he has a great shot at winning. All he has to do is make sure he gets his tee ball to the wedge distance he likes. If he is a mid-80's player, he will hit a decent amount of greens in 18 holes, now it becomes a putting contest. If I were you I would be making a yardage book. His wedges vs. the scratch golfer's mid and long irons/hybrids.

2. Is this stroke play or match play? If it is match play, he has an even better chance.

3. If the red tee guy likes to hit after finding out what he has to do, he has another advantage, since more than likely he will hit second on all the 4 pars and 5 pars.

4. As my son's former HS FB coach taught-- PMA (Positive Mental Attitude). If he has a built in 1500 yeard advantage in a match, you doggone well know he should be pumped to play. Once you think you can and believe you can, you will!

Upload a score card with the match results!

thanks for the comments guys. i didn't realize i was that much of an underdog. we'll see how it goes. its planned for next weekend.

its a fun challenge regardless.

i'll post results afterwards.

i'm gonna go play from the red tees at a nearby course with similar yardage to see how it goes. The actual course we are playing is too far.

like i said, i'm a fierce competitor- we'll see what happens.

i may be in for a rude awakening. but i'm looking forward to the game.

Nuts,

1. If the guy manages the course well, he has a great shot at winning. All he has to do is make sure he gets his tee ball to the wedge distance he likes. If he is a mid-80's player, he will hit a decent amount of greens in 18 holes, now it becomes a putting contest. If I were you I would be making a yardage book. His wedges vs. the scratch golfer's mid and long irons/hybrids.

2. Is this stroke play or match play? If it is match play, he has an even better chance.

3. If the red tee guy likes to hit after finding out what he has to do, he has another advantage, since more than likely he will hit second on all the 4 pars and 5 pars.

4. As my son's former HS FB coach taught-- PMA (Positive Mental Attitude). If he has a built in 1500 yeard advantage in a match, you doggone well know he should be pumped to play. Once you think you can and believe you can, you will!

Upload a score card with the match results!

BUT....the guy said himself he thinks he might have at least some birdie chips into the short par 3's!?!??! hello....CHIPS.....a 5200 yard course has par 3's between 110 and 150 yards long..some i've seen with 80 yards. if he isn't getting a legit birdie PUTT from inside 150 yards....he's toast.

a scratch golfer will hit half the GIR's on a bad day......and no worse than 2 three putts....again....bad day.

red tee guy needs to hit his tee shot into the yardage of his most consistent iron shot. if that means 8 iron-8 iron on the par 4...then he should go with it.