2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

New Taylor Made Golf Ball???

budathephat

New Stuff...
I just read on espn.com that TM is getting back into the ball market. :) .. here is the link... anybody have any inside info on this???

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=2272174

I liked the old ones... my guess is that this will compete with the ProV ball... but, this could be TM's try to completly buy up MaxFly's market...

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, I have heard about it. Last year all the reps went down to TM and seen some of the new balls for 05. Among the new stuff was some of the prototype TaylorMade balls. Im not sure how close these are to what TM has now released but they were crazy (insane) long back in late 04 early 05. Totally illegal buy PGA standards, but did I say they were long? G

Yeah I just heard about this yesterday. I guy that I know plays the Nationwide tour and he said he just signed a ball/golve/shoe/clothes deal with Adidas/TalyorMade/Maxfli and he said they had a new ball they wanted him to try... Sounds interesting, I hope he can get me some more details on it, i'll post any that I get...

Yeah, they're coming alright. I guess it makes sense for TM. I remember their last attempt at competing in the ball market -- ooofah, was it ugly. All gimmick and the balls were like rocks. Air sealed packaging, liquid-filled cores, blah, blah,...the balls were junk and felt like Rock-Flites. That didn't last long.

BTW: Nike balls are made by Bridgestone.

It certainly makes sense that TaylorMade would try to capture a segment of the ball market. Afterall, they did purchase Maxfli with just that intent. And, if I remember correctly, didn't they hire the guy who developed the Pro-V1 for Titleist? He is the one behind Maxfli's Black Max I believe. Since a lot of the TaylorMade players also have clothes/shoe deals with adidas (TM's parent company), it's natural that they would try to get them to ball their new ball too.

Someone correct me if i am wrong, but didn't Taylor Made try to position their balls as ideal for the "larger " drivers of that time, themselves and Callaway? I thought they had a specific type T and type C ball for the specific manufacturer of your driver...

That being said, most everyone would/did see through that as marketing mumbo jumbo. It will take/takes a monster investement to get guys to switch from the V1's I would think. Look what Nike had to do to appease Tiger, what with the "Rock" Ishii guy, special balls with pink lettering for his wife, and all that. Let's face it, teh majority of the golf population buys balls based on perception. "ohhh this is tiger's ball...." "Phil switched to the HX Tour and won...." "V1's are the most popular on tour....." Taylor Made is going to have a long fight ahead of them to get people to buy into their balls. Personally, I think they are better off leaving the Maxfli name on the brand rather than try to build new name recognition in the ball market, especially after they failed once.

As an 8 handicap, I find a lot of balls that I can play with, mostly all the expensive ones. I tend to stick with the V1's because I like playing 5's or 8's and I can not find any other top of the line ball that comes with these. As a side note, the worst reason I ever played a ball was I liked having the card suits on the balls of the Strata Tour Ace, but the lettering on the ball was at an angle, thus making it harder to use the print to line up putts. It was a good ball though....

Yeah, they're coming alright. I guess it makes sense for TM. I remember their last attempt at competing in the ball market -- ooofah, was it ugly. All gimmick and the balls were like rocks. Air sealed packaging, liquid-filled cores, blah, blah,...the balls were junk and felt like Rock-Flites. That didn't last long.

BTW: Nike balls are made by Bridgestone.

bridgestone also makes precept golf balls. the u-tri lines were droped so that they would be competeing with the new bridgestone lines.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

Someone correct me if i am wrong, but didn't Taylor Made try to position their balls as ideal for the "larger " drivers of that time, themselves and Callaway? I thought they had a specific type T and type C ball for the specific manufacturer of your driver...

That was Top Flite... the System T and the System C. Both were huge flops!

:)

I mentioned this rumour to my Pro and the manager of our largest off course shop. Both had the same response, neither are printable. Both got badly burned by TMs last offerings in the ball market and said they wouldn't touch a TM ball for love nor money. In our area you can sell Titleist, Nike, Callaway, Pinnacle, Wilson and Top Flite. Nothing else shifts. Srixon, Bridgestone and Hogan all make superb balls but are rare sites outside low handicappers. I have just picked up a dozen B330S for the same price as NXTs, the retailer was desperate to shift them! Nobody in our area took Black Max so I have never had the chance to try one........

I wonder if TM will force retailers into taking a certain qty of balls when they order the 06 stock? Without heavy promotion and a winning presence on tour they are onto a real struggle, especially if they price at the top line a la other TP branded kit?

That was Top Flite... the System T and the System C. Both were huge flops!

Thanks. I thought more about it and i could not remember for the life of me if it was TM or not. What a stupid idea. It ranked right up there with taylor made's plastic tube sleeves to keep moisture out!!! Think about that, how much profit margin did TM eat up by spending on plastic tubes rather than plain cardboard paper sleeves?

i think the real question we aren't asking is, are the tm balls going to have adjustable weights, and will they offer a tp model as well?

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

Thanks. I thought more about it and i could not remember for the life of me if it was TM or not. What a stupid idea. It ranked right up there with taylor made's plastic tube sleeves to keep moisture out!!! Think about that, how much profit margin did TM eat up by spending on plastic tubes rather than plain cardboard paper sleeves?

Easy! I love those tubes--still have some. It keeps my carpet-putting practice balls as fresh as the day they were made. :cheesy: I don't think those hurt their profit margin nearly as much as having to put almost the entire product line (albeit a short life) on clearance right after introduction! When you're all about innovations, you're bound to make some mistakes--movable weights and TP line: good!---innergel and plastic sleaves: maybe not so much! :)

beruo

:hi:

Check out this link...

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?...e=GOLFHeadlines

All about Kenny Perry tring out the new prototype golf ball from Taylor Made.

--------------------

**What's in my Bag**

Driver: Ping G5 w/Aldila NV Prototype 75g X

3-Wood: Nike Sasquatch 15* w/Aldila NV Prototype 85g X

Hybrid: Ping G5 w/Aldila NV Hybrid 105g

Irons: Titleist 735cm w/Project X

S/G/L Wedges: Cleveland CG10 - Black Pearl

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Prototype Center Shaft

Ball: Callaway HX Tour

Check out this link...

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?...e=GOLFHeadlines

All about Kenny Perry tring out the new prototype golf ball from Taylor Made.

First off, welcome to golfwrx. :cheesy: Second, go ahead and read the thread before you respond. This was the story the thread's original poster put up at the very beginning. :) No harm, no fowl (esp. with an interception thrown w/in field goal range). Thanks for bringing the thread back to topic though. I have a tendency to go on tangents myself (notice the off-topic NCAA football reference above). Good to have ya.

beruo

:hi: