2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Nick Faldo's Equipment

Shah G

Faldo's Perfect Round.

FaldosPerfectRound1.jpg

1996 US Masters Final Round - That shot into the Par-5 13th at Augusta with a 2-iron after famously backing off from the 5-wood.

13thMasters.jpg

Masters96.jpg

Faldo had toyed with the idea of a five wood which he had been carrying all week but when he placed it behind the ball he felt it didn't look right and opted instead for a 2-iron, which he hit 206 yards to the green as "sweet as a nut".

My memory of the quote of the 2iron on 13 was "I bottled it" ..... could be wrong here though kewlpics.gif

Do you mean hitting to the left side of the green? As some of you guys know I'm a massive Sir Nick fan but I could't watch the '96 Masters live it was too painful watching Greg Norman... some of my friends loved it but it was too much for sensitive old me. It's a shame both the majors that Nick won after I got into golf the '92 Open and the Masters were painful and too stressful to watch on the final day. The '90 Open must have been a blast to watch live.

My memory of the quote of the 2iron on 13 was "I bottled it" ..... could be wrong here though kewlpics.gif

Do you mean hitting to the left side of the green? As some of you guys know I'm a massive Sir Nick fan but I could't watch the '96 Masters live it was too painful watching Greg Norman... some of my friends loved it but it was too much for sensitive old me. It's a shame both the majors that Nick won after I got into golf the '92 Open and the Masters were painful and too stressful to watch on the final day. The '90 Open must have been a blast to watch live.

yes, 'twas an easy 2 putt birdie

Titleist Tsi4 / Callaway 4w /Call Hy/ Call UT 3i /Srixon z745 4-P /Vokey Wedgeworks 50m+56v /Cameron Newport 

[quote name='chip75' date='29 January 2010 - 07:05 PM' timestamp='1264791906' post='2212317']
Hey Gatchet can you scan the rest of the pictures of Nick from above showing the open body positions?
[/quote]
Will do no worries, just need to lay my hands back on that particular magazine first as it was an image that I had on my PC !

[quote name='The Gachet' date='29 January 2010 - 07:15 PM' timestamp='1264792524' post='2212343']
[quote name='chip75' date='29 January 2010 - 07:05 PM' timestamp='1264791906' post='2212317']
Hey Gatchet can you scan the rest of the pictures of Nick from above showing the open body positions?
[/quote]
Will do no worries, just need to lay my hands back on that particular magazine first as it was an image that I had on my PC !
[/quote]

Thanks Gatchet I had the magazine as well but lost it in a house move I tried to keep all the Faldo instructional stuff but it did a disappearing act. Keeps the pics coming they're appreciated by everyone. There's a book out of Faldo instructional pieces that he did for one of the newspapers before his swing change have you seen it?

[quote name='chip75' date='29 January 2010 - 07:21 PM' timestamp='1264792874' post='2212355']
[quote name='The Gachet' date='29 January 2010 - 07:15 PM' timestamp='1264792524' post='2212343']
[/quote]
[/quote]

Thanks Gatchet I had the magazine as well but lost it in a house move I tried to keep all the Faldo instructional stuff but it did a disappearing act. Keeps the pics coming they're appreciated by everyone. There's a book out of Faldo instructional pieces that he did for one of the newspapers before his swing change have you seen it?
[/quote]
Don't think so, I've got 'A Swing For Life' and 'The Winning Formula' but that's it.

Do you have any more information on it !?

[quote name='The Gachet' date='29 January 2010 - 07:30 PM' timestamp='1264793425' post='2212372']
[quote name='chip75' date='29 January 2010 - 07:21 PM' timestamp='1264792874' post='2212355']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Don't think so, I've got 'A Swing For Life' and 'The Winning Formula' but that's it.

Do you have any more information on it !?
[/quote]

It's the 'Faldo Formula from Tee to Green with Nick Faldo' by Martin Hardy. Nick Faldo's "Golf Class" strip is one of the most widely read newspaper golf instruction series in the UK. Packed with practical golf tips, this collection of strip cartoons and editorial features will be of interest to both the weekend and more advanced golfer. Brought out to coincide with the start of the British Open on 18th July, Nick Faldo's Golf Class will have promotional backing in both the Daily Express and Sunday Express. The strip cartoon itself appears regularly every Friday in the Daily Express.

Sounds interesting if the artwork was decent. What do you think Paul?

The copy I saw for sale was published 1990 so it's post swing change. I thought it was earlier than that.

Sounds very interesting chip, I am going to keep an eye out for a copy of that book and check it out. Thanks !

What was also interesting is this fact from 1993 on Faldo's Wikipedia page:

'As way of opening his first course design in the UK (Chart Hills) in Kent, Faldo teed up on the dog-leg right par four. He drove in to the middle-right of the fairway, he then teed another ball and drove off, the two balls finished within 6 inches of each other and to this day can be seen set in to the fairway in a protective case.'

ChartHills.jpg

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Nick_Faldo

I remember that story about the same time at the place I used to practice I was hitting a lovely persimmon driver back and forth behind my home. I hit one shot into a steep bank about 250 yards away then hit irons back in the opposite direction when I hit the driver again it plugged in the same exact spot I hit original. The only difference between me and Nick is if I had opened the course I would have beheaded the spectators and dug a shallow grave for myself lol... I'm glad you brought back the memory.

Back when Faldo started winning majors, to be honest, I couldn't stand watching him.... I thought he was stuck up, boring, mechanical... You get my drift.

The more I watch videos of him now, and listen to his commentary, the more I like him. I have a lot of respect for his game. I even forgive him for beating Norman at the Masters :P. The biggest thing was him getting a gig on TV. Who would've have thought he could be so entertaining. With his experiences as a player, and the way he explains things, makes it a joy to listen to the majority of the time.

Dare I say it.... He's like Johnny Miller.... EXCEPT with tact ;)

I think Faldo's a fantastic commentator and one of only a few that have a right to say stuff and get away with it, as he was such a great player and won majors.Only wish Sky would do something similar and get some Major champions who've actually done something in the game.You only have to look at the BBC tennis coverage Boris Becker, John Mcnroe, Michael Stich etc although they don't do it in the golf either..

Tm M1 Hzdrus 9.5
Titleist 915 Fd Tour Ad Di 7 s
Titleist 712 U 2 Iron
TM 3-PW PSI Project x 6.0
TM Tour Preffered 52, 58 KBS S
Odyssey 7 Standard
TM Flextech Lite Stand
Any Ball

[quote name='Caldymat' date='01 February 2010 - 04:59 PM' timestamp='1265043576' post='2219134']
I think Faldo's a fantastic commentator and one of only a few that have a right to say stuff and get away with it, as he was such a great player and won majors.Only wish Sky would do something similar and get some Major champions who've actually done something in the game.You only have to look at the BBC tennis coverage Boris Becker, John Mcnroe, Michael Stich etc although they don't do it in the golf either..
[/quote]

I enjoy Nick's commentry as well though I still prefer to watch him play. It's interesting that you mention having the career which gives you the right to talk about players swings, wayward shots etc. I remember when Nick made a comment about Tiger's swing a few years back a perfectly legit thing to say and Zinger felt that Tiger thought Nick had no right to make the comment beacuse of his record. If one player can point fingers about a guys game it should be Nick. I wonder if he'll do more stuff for the BBC in years to come as well as his US stuff?

Keep the pics coming guys.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='pinhigh27' date='11 February 2010 - 12:17 AM' timestamp='1265847460' post='2242363']
Just wondering guys, some people are stating his distances, or those his stock distances, or his "lampooned it" distances? Thanks!
[/quote]

Nick's distances in at the beginning of the '90's were 185 yards with a five iron and I think 225 with the knife 1 iron, his wedge distances are at the top of page ten - 125 for a PW, 110 with a gap and 75 with a lob wedge. I remember Nick on a prime-time show on the BBC on a primitive launch monitor he power faded (i.e. massive slice) his driver 260+ yards in front of the nation. During the '90 Masters play-off he drove the ball 260 yards on the first extra hole (the 10th) leaving 225 to the green.

I think Nick gained a bit of distance later on with the Nike ball he used and the Pro Combo irons but I don't think he was a great 'lampooner' of the ball.

I can't say that I was ever aware that he actually used the MS-8's as based on the historical photo's and knowledge that I have experienced throughout the years, it appears that he used the Mizuno Pro Original's or possibly the MS-2's as discussed above in the mid 80's and then the MS-1's for his British Open victory at Muirfield in July 1987.

He then had a brief spell with some Wilson Staff Fluid Feels in August possibly just to keep the sponsors happy and then moved to the blank Mizuno TP-9's which are a similar shape to the MS-7's around September as he was using them in the Ryder Cup at Muirfield Village as shown below.

1987RyderCup.jpg

He continued to use the blank TP-9's in 1988 as shown below in the Suntory World Matchplay and then used them to successfully win his first US Masters in 1989.

1988WorldMatchplay.jpg

After these he progressed to the blank TN-87's at the beginning of 1990 ready for the successful defence of his US Masters title and his second British Open held that year at St. Andrews.

I believe that it was pretty well documented that he used Mizuno MS-1's for his 1987 British Open victory which have a straight muscle but I can't help but question this a little bit due to the picture taken below from the final round showing what looks like a wingback TP-9 muscle design shape !?

Open for debate as I have seen other photo's where the muscle does look straighter (could be bagging a mix of irons) but would love if it if anyone has a clear iron shot from that tournament or the miraculous 'In The Bag' shot !?!

1987BritishOpen.jpg

MizunoMS-1-1.jpgTP-9.jpg

As below, the great man himself has confirmed that he actually used the same irons for his 1987 and 1989 major tournament wins.

A couple of weeks ago I took the liberty of sending a message to Sir Nick Faldo's office in the UK asking for some confirmation on the irons that he actually used to win his six majors. I stated the irons as listed in the WITB Nick Faldo thread and had a reply yesterday from his Executive Assistant in the United States saying that he "had a chuckle while reading my note" and "was happy to see that someone was paying attention".

He interestingly confirmed that he actually used the same irons to win the 1987 British Open at Muirfield and the 1989 US Masters. These were in fact a Mizuno TP-P model (I guess possibly standing for TP-Prototype !?) and from historical photo's that we have seen look very similar to the European production released Mizuno TP-9 model.

He also confirmed that he used the same irons to win the 1990 US Masters and the 1990 British Open at St Andrews being the correctly identified blank Mizuno TN-87's.

Finally, he confirmed that he used Mizuno TP-19's for his 1992 British Open victory at Muirfield and the 1996 US Masters.

I have thanked him for his response and have also mentioned that if he fancies having "another chuckle" then he should take some time to read these two threads dedicated to him on this forum.......................so you never know !?!

WITB Nick Faldo thread: http://www.golfwrx.c...itb-nick-faldo/

Interesting result Paul - and it settles that disccussion we were having over the muscle shape on those Muirfield irons. Never heard them called TP-Ps before, but why not?

Wasn't the launch monitor-thing the BBC Sports Personality of the Year programme? 1988? If I remember rightly, old Nick made a big show of asking if the bag of available clubs contained a Wilson driver - which was ironic, given his apparent disdain for his sponsor's clubs - which prompted a mild scolding from the host. Laura Davies had a crack at one too didn't she? That apparently went 200 yards or so. Righto. That alone tells you how accurate the machine - probably linked up to a Sinclair ZX Spectrum - was.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

[quote name='mat562' date='12 February 2010 - 07:11 PM' timestamp='1266001914' post='2246729']
Interesting result Paul - and it settles that disccussion we were having over the muscle shape on those Muirfield irons. Never heard them called TP-Ps before, but why not?

Wasn't the launch monitor-thing the BBC Sports Personality of the Year programme? 1988? If I remember rightly, old Nick made a big show of asking if the bag of available clubs contained a Wilson driver - which was ironic, given his apparent disdain for his sponsor's clubs - which prompted a mild scolding from the host. Laura Davies had a crack at one too didn't she? That apparently went 200 yards or so. Righto. That alone tells you how accurate the machine - probably linked up to a Sinclair ZX Spectrum - was.
[/quote]

Yes I think was BBC Sports Personality of the Year (I was going to say Terry Wogan's show) Mat, it might have been the same show where Nick took some kiddie to the course (Wentworth?) and after hitting a drive been the wag he is exclaimed "I bet you don't go that far on your holidays". I bet the Launch monitor made a ZX Spectrum look like a Commodore Amiga 500...