2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Putter Grip Weight

rbenz

If a new grip is installed on a player's club, it could have some effect on the club's swingweight. Let's say a jumbo grip weighing 66 grams is installed in place of a standard sized grip weighing 50 grams. Each 5 grams of weight change in a grip equates to an approximate 1-swingweight change. The heavier grip places more weight in the grip end of the club, making that end of the club heavier in relation to the rest of the club. The heavier jumbo grip used will yield a 3-swingweight lighter change in the club. In an example of a 39-gram lightweight wrap style grip being installed in place of the 50-gram grip, the swingweight would increase by approximately 2 points as this new grip weighs 11 grams less than the previous grip. Any time a grip change is made, the player should be aware of the potential swingweight (and feel) change in the club.

• Thanks 1

But swingweight changes caused by alterations on the grip end are completely spurious. The only SW changes that are interesting occur at the head end. While feel may change by changes on the grip, it isn't because of SW.

Every component used in the assembly of a club has an effect on swingweight, so to say adding a heavier grip to a putter or any club for that matter doesn't effect swing weight is completely untrue.

Taylormade SIM2 Max 10.5*

Taylormade Stealth 15*
Taylormade Stealth 22*

Edel SLS-01 5-P
Ping Glide 4.0 50*, 56*, 60*

Ping PLD Milled DS-72

If you buy a Scotty Studio putter they have that small dancing grip. IMO putting (No pun intended) a larger grip on it destroys the original feel of the putter.

But that's also a scotty. A new grip on some <$200 putter shouldn't affect feel to much

It doesn't matter if the putter cost $10 or $2000 using a grip that is 15 grams heavier or lighter will change the feel of the club. the static weight of the club will increase slightly but the swingweight will will decrease.

Taylormade Stealth 15*
Taylormade Stealth 22*

Edel SLS-01 5-P

Ping PLD Milled DS-72

I didn't say it doesn't affect SW. I said the changes in SW caused by grup changes are spurious and uninteresting. And it's true. In fact, real SW is ALWAYS calculated with a 52g grip, regardless of what is actually played. During MOI matching the grip is such a minute amount of the equation that the grip has no real effect on MOI. The same is true with SW. It changes the feel because there is a change in static wight, not because of a change in SW. All changing the grip does is trick the SW scale.

I didn't say it doesn't affect SW. I said the changes in SW caused by grup changes are spurious and uninteresting. And it's true. In fact, real SW is ALWAYS calculated with a 52g grip, regardless of what is actually played. During MOI matching the grip is such a minute amount of the equation that the grip has no real effect on MOI. The same is true with SW. It changes the feel because there is a change in static wight, not because of a change in SW. All changing the grip does is trick the SW scale.

I agree completely.

If you buy a Scotty Studio putter they have that small dancing grip. IMO putting (No pun intended) a larger grip on it destroys the original feel of the putter.

But that's also a scotty. A new grip on some <$200 putter shouldn't affect feel to much

So why are other Scotty putters equipped with Baby T's and other grips then? Shouldn't he be installing dancing studio grips exclusively? I think the material a grip is made of is much more important for feel, than grip-size per se. A classic rubber grip gives more feel than a soft mushy Winn.

I've got my Scotty TeI3 with a Lamkin Cross Line. Perfect grip imho for any head +300g. The dancing studio grips are just a little too small for me, and i have small hands. I love the smaller grips on putters like a Ping Anser 2, but for a heavier head, i think a somewhat bigger grip is necessary for control.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but swingweight is a measure of feel. It is not the same as static weight or total weight of a golf club. I not talking about MOI Matching a set of clubs I'm simply saying that when you add a grip that weighs 15 grams heavier or lighter to a club you will change the swingweight 3 points either way which will change the feel of the club. There is a thread that was started by Joe Kwok in the clubmakers section that lists factors and components that affect and how they affect swingweight. As far as MOI matching and what effects a grip has on that I don't know enough about it to say one way or another, but when you are using a standard method the grip can and does affect the way a club feels period. To say otherwise is simply wrong.

Example:

A golf putter measuring 35" with a 65 gram grip has a D3 swingweight. Replace the 65 gram grip with a 80 gram grip. Now the same club with at the same length has a swingweight of D0. A three swingweight point loss is going to feel quit a bit different plain and simple.

Taylormade Stealth 15*
Taylormade Stealth 22*

Edel SLS-01 5-P

Ping PLD Milled DS-72

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but swingweight is a measure of feel. It is not the same as static weight or total weight of a golf club. I not talking about MOI Matching a set of clubs I'm simply saying that when you add a grip that weighs 15 grams heavier or lighter to a club you will change the swingweight 3 points either way which will change the feel of the club. There is a thread that was started by Joe Kwok in the clubmakers section that lists factors and components that affect and how they affect swingweight. As far as MOI matching and what effects a grip has on that I don't know enough about it to say one way or another, but when you are using a standard method the grip can and does affect the way a club feels period. To say otherwise is simply wrong.

Example:

A golf putter measuring 35" with a 65 gram grip has a D3 swingweight. Replace the 65 gram grip with a 80 gram grip. Now the same club with at the same length has a swingweight of D0. A three swingweight point loss is going to feel quit a bit different plain and simple.

"A 3 SW point loss will feel different"...what? Dude you've got to be freakin' kidding.

It's a damn putter...

Again, the SW of a club should ALWAYS be determined with a 52g grip, regardless of what is being played. Chnages in grip may effect feel, but it is ONLY because it changes static weight. The change in SW in completely uninteresting. The same holds true with MOI matching. On MOI formulas, you could put a 500g grip (yes, 500g) on a club and have almost no change in MOI. WHy? Because MOI, like SW, knows that grip changes have almost no bearing in how heavy the club feels or how much effort is taken to swing it.

I'm going to go out on a limb and actually THINK THIS THROUGH...

I've always heard that a heavier grip will decrease swingweight in any club. This has alway puzzled me, from a basic physics-101 standpoint. The only POSSIBLE explanation is that swingweight is measured using a fulcrum/pivot-point that is not at the butt end, but somewhere down the shaft, towards the clubhead. Otherwise, a heavier grip would ALWAYS increase swingweight.

So, maybe that makes sense with a wood or iron, since during the brief moments where you are releasing your hands/wrists, the pivot point is indeed not at the butt end, but somewhere down the shaft (considering the swing as a whole, the pivot point is somewhere in your chest or between your shoulders -- in which case any weight, added anywhere to the club, should increase swingweight).

However, with a putter, unless you are extremely "handsy"...the pivot point in your swing is at no point down the shaft, and probably not at the butt end either. But rather it is a "virtual" pivot point, somewhere around your chest or shoulders. Any mass added outboard of the pivot point should increase swingweight.

So I'm going to go ahead and postulate that, in the real world of putting (and not on some swingweight gauge on a bench), a heavier grip will in fact always INCREASE the swingweight of your putter. But no where NEAR to the extent that weight added to the putter head will increase swingweight (and yes, by swingweight, I mean........feel, of course). If you make a grip out of lead tape, it'll probably feel different. Otherwise...prolly all in your head.

How d'ya like them apples?

Again, the SW of a club should ALWAYS be determined with a 52g grip, regardless of what is being played. Chnages in grip may effect feel, but it is ONLY because it changes static weight. The change in SW in completely uninteresting. The same holds true with MOI matching. On MOI formulas, you could put a 500g grip (yes, 500g) on a club and have almost no change in MOI. WHy? Because MOI, like SW, knows that grip changes have almost no bearing in how heavy the club feels or how much effort is taken to swing it.

I have never heard of the philosophy that swingweight is always calculated using a 52 gram grip regardless of what is being used. When I am building a club for someone and they have a target sw in mind I will dry fit and SW with all the components requested and then build from there. The only place I have seen anything like that is on a swingweight chart provided by a manufacture just as a reference. UST I know has a chart and there is a side note saying they use a certain insertion depth and grip weight to achieve these numbers thats all. If your saying that you can take a putter off the shelf that has a standard weight grip and put a 500 gram grip on it and still have no bearing on how the club feels or is balanced then your sadly mistaken to say the least.

Taylormade Stealth 15*
Taylormade Stealth 22*

Edel SLS-01 5-P

Ping PLD Milled DS-72

I have never heard of the philosophy that swingweight is always calculated using a 52 gram grip regardless of what is being used.

Seriously?

If your saying that you can take a putter off the shelf that has a standard weight grip and put a 500 gram grip on it and still have no bearing on how the club feels or is balanced then your sadly mistaken to say the least.

Of course I didn't say that it would have no bearing on feel. In fact, I directly stated that it would. But the chnage in feel is a result of the STATIC weight change, not the SW change. Changing weight on the grip end to influence SW is bad, bad practice.

In the past two years I've used lots of putters with lots of different weights and grips and grip weights. I have a swingweight scale and an accurate static weight scale. Let's say for example I take two Cameron Circa 3's at 35 inches and a headweight of 330. On one I put a Studio Design grip that weighs 56 grams. On the other I put a Baby T which weighs 70 grams. The Circa 3 with the 56 gram grip will be 3 SW points heavier than the Baby T putter--but to me the putter with the Baby T will feel heavier during my stroke. It will feel heavier because it is, in fact, heavier. Now, I'm not saying a 15 gram difference in weight makes a ton of difference in feel, but adding 15 grams to the butt end certainly does not make the putter feel lighter.

Have you ever picked up a Heavy Putter and putted with it at a golf shop? If you have you know the putter has an accurate name because it feels very heavy. You would think the SW is way, way high. In fact, the swingweight is the B range, which for a standard putter would be ridiculously light. That's because it has so much weight in the butt end counterweight.

I think SW is near to useless to determine the "feel" of a putter. Static weight is a better measure. Or, best of all, let your hands tell you how a putter feels.

I have never heard of the philosophy that swingweight is always calculated using a 52 gram grip regardless of what is being used.

Seriously?

When I swingweight a club I do so using the components I will use.

Taylormade Stealth 15*
Taylormade Stealth 22*

Edel SLS-01 5-P

Ping PLD Milled DS-72

The reason a 52g grip is standard is precisely because playing with the grip end weight does nothing but trick the SW scale. Grip weight does not affect the "heft" of the club. Again, just look at the MOI formula. Grip weight accounts for almost no impact on MOI. Again, not saying grip end weight doesn't affect feel. It can. But it is because static weight changes, not becuase of any SW change.

The reason a 52g grip is standard is precisely because playing with the grip end weight does nothing but trick the SW scale. Grip weight does not affect the "heft" of the club. Again, just look at the MOI formula. Grip weight accounts for almost no impact on MOI. Again, not saying grip end weight doesn't affect feel. It can. But it is because static weight changes, not becuase of any SW change.

Like I said before I don't know enough about MOI matching clubs and I don't build that way.

Taylormade Stealth 15*
Taylormade Stealth 22*

Edel SLS-01 5-P

Ping PLD Milled DS-72