2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Optimal Driver combination for me?

O-For-20

Driver head, length, flex, weight, etc?
I read the pinned thread - answers below:

1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, lenght, etc )

My sig says G10, 9* - but it's brand new with limited range time - no course play yet. My current driver is Callaway X-460 Tour - 9.5 - UST V2 - 67g - cut to 44" (headweighted back to D6)

2. What type of swinger are you? ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )Loading factor on your swing?

Long swing (arc) - try to be smooth and am most of the time - but I can get quick in the transition

3. What is your handicap and on a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing?where is your striking ability?

Peaked at a 6.7 years ago - currently 10-11. Consistency? 6 or 7

4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up?

Inconsistent - sounds like crap. Hooks, blocks, toe-shots, hit too low on the face (teeing higher brings a mixed bag - half the ball is already showing on top of the driver). went to 44" from 45" because I thought the shorter lenght would help - it's just as bad.

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, Swing path,Attack angle, etc?) These numbers has to come from the existing club or the club that you are trying to fix or buy. IMPORTANT!

SS = 107 avg
Launch = 7-9* on old X-Tour driver, 12-15* on G10
Ball Speed = 155 avg, rarely lower than 150 w/ driver - 160-165 on a few
Spin rate = 3500 - 4200 (too high) - G10 was closer to the 3500
Swing Path = approx 2* pull on most - sometimes square, sometimes 5-10* push
Angle of Attack = not sure of the exact info here

6. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up?

Eliminate one side of the golf course (preferably the right side since I have no trouble releasing the club). I can deal with the hooks - what I can't deal with is the block or high slice to the right (way right) when I do try to dial it back a bit. It gets scary not knowing what's coming.

7. Have you had any dynamic club fitting before? Lie angle? For RH players, What is your measurement Knuckle to floor on your LH...Vice Versa for LH players?

Not for a driver - for Irons I was fitted to black dot I-5s - standard length - lite steel shaft (said I could've gone X - said I was borderline - I chose just regular stiff. Not sure on measurements

8. What is your shots tendency on mistakes when you are not playing so good?

Thin shots when I'm really playing bad - pull hooks when I'm playing mildly bad.

9. What is your shot tendency that you like when you are playing good?

Mid trajectory draw

10. What type of course condition you are playing most? Where are you from?

Midwest - 6800 yards - 132 slope - higherst point in county (windy) - my main course has only one hole that you can spray it right or left and be on another hole and still in play (all others have one side or both sides that equate to penalty strokes - I average about 3 per round)

11. Body build and postures?

6'0 - 190

12. If you have to be honest, who your swing look like on PGA tour? at least who do you like it to be?

Never thought about it to be honest.

Other info:

Distances

215-225 - 3 iron
150 - hard 9 / easy 8

>>>>>>>>>>

Anyway - there's the info. Please help. I have high hopes for this G10 - but I chose the name O-For-20 for a reason. It can stand for either the last 20 fairways I've hit or last 20 drivers I've tried.

I love the G10 on the range so far because it has eliminated the right side. I was afraid of going to a 45.75" club but, believe it or not, I feel way more confident with it than I do my 44" X-460 Tour. My only concern is that the ball is going rather high. It is borderline too high. I'm afraid of what it may do in windy conditions. I have the Prolaunch Red in stiff which is supposed to be low traj - but I hit it higher than I do the Callaway. I hit it higher than my old Launcher with the Graf Blue.

Any other questions - fire away - thanks for any feedback

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I'll start. Those numbers are very strange between the G10 and Cally. Why is one club a 7* launch and the other a 12*? No club can make that much of a difference in launch. So, is it in your head that the g10 gets a different swing? Who knows. Also looks like you may have a descending path to the ball, which causes low launch with high spin. My guess is that you have solid iron play and carry that swing over to the tee. I have the exact same problem.

Here's an idea that might help. If you do fit the bill of a steep swing, try out a 15* hybrid that plays like an iron. Sonartec MD comes to mind (maybe because I have one). It rewards a steeper swing and is great off the tee for tight holes. You have a high enough swing speed where you can hit the 15* probably close to 260 off the tee, which might be all you need for days when the swing is off.

Just my .02

Based on your comment

Inconsistent - sounds like crap. Hooks, blocks, toe-shots, hit too low on the face (teeing higher brings a mixed bag - half the ball is already showing on top of the driver). went to 44" from 45" because I thought the shorter lenght would help - it's just as bad.

It simply looks like you cannot time either of your driver shafts consistantly. Both the Prolaunch Red and V2 shafts are a bit firm and hard feeling, so you might get beter results playing a smoother shaft. The G10 launch is not too bad but the spin is a little high. Unfortunatly the combination of smooth and low spin is expensive. The obvious candidates would be a Diamana Blue board 63 or Matrix code 6. The speeder 652 might also be worth a look.

Shaft test

Ok I'll start. Those numbers are very strange between the G10 and Cally. Why is one club a 7* launch and the other a 12*? No club can make that much of a difference in launch. So, is it in your head that the g10 gets a different swing? Who knows. Also looks like you may have a descending path to the ball, which causes low launch with high spin. My guess is that you have solid iron play and carry that swing over to the tee. I have the exact same problem.

Here's an idea that might help. If you do fit the bill of a steep swing, try out a 15* hybrid that plays like an iron. Sonartec MD comes to mind (maybe because I have one). It rewards a steeper swing and is great off the tee for tight holes. You have a high enough swing speed where you can hit the 15* probably close to 260 off the tee, which might be all you need for days when the swing is off.

Just my .02

Good point on the hybrid - I almost bought the Idea Pro - but still haven't gone that route (pride mainly)

My thinking is that that I know I have the talent and the SS - why not maximze it? I may be able to hit a hybrid 250-260 - but couldn't I hit a driver further? Trust me - I know driver is not always needed. I'm not one to hit it on every par 4 or 5. I usually reserve the big dog for par 4's that are 410-420 yards or more - which is common when I play with my buddies that insist on the tips wherever we go.

I don't know the reason for the launch angle differences between the 2 drivers - I can only guess that the shaft length and flex have something to do with it.

Based on your comment

It simply looks like you cannot time either of your driver shafts consistantly. Both the Prolaunch Red and V2 shafts are a bit firm and hard feeling, so you might get beter results playing a smoother shaft. The G10 launch is not too bad but the spin is a little high. Unfortunatly the combination of smooth and low spin is expensive. The obvious candidates would be a Diamana Blue board 63 or Matrix code 6. The speeder 652 might also be worth a look.

Shaft test

Actually both the V2 and PL Red felt smooth to me. But I was coming from a graf blue in an X flex a couple years back.

The V2 stiffened a bit when I cut it down. The PL Red feels like I'm swinging a clubhead attached to a rubber-band compared to what I'm used to - I'm thinking it's either the softer flex or the added length (45.75 vs 44) that is adding some of the height to my flight.

I've seen the different Diamana boards discussed - bit I admit to being clueless as to their specs....and which board is for which player, etc...

Thanks for the input....

The 12-15 degree launch you get with the G10 is more consistent with current fitting recommendation. You still need to get your driver spin lower. If you find your current shafts soft, then you might consider trying a few heavier shafts. A little more overall club static weight might give you a club balance better suited to your needs. There are plenty of 75 and 85 gram shafts available.

With the range of options available at the minute you will definitely be able to get a driver which will help your game. Seek out the help of a good club builder and try a few combinations on a launch monitor. Pick the combination which offers the greatest consistency, don't be swayed by maximum distance.

Best of luck.

The 12-15 degree launch you get with the G10 is more consistent with current fitting recommendation. You still need to get your driver spin lower. If you find your current shafts soft, then you might consider trying a few heavier shafts. A little more overall club static weight might give you a club balance better suited to your needs. There are plenty of 75 and 85 gram shafts available.

With the range of options available at the minute you will definitely be able to get a driver which will help your game. Seek out the help of a good club builder and try a few combinations on a launch monitor. Pick the combination which offers the greatest consistency, don't be swayed by maximum distance.

Best of luck.

I agree that the launch angle is ok on most shots - but I did balloon a few on the range yesterday so it is borderline - and the spin has to come down.

I'm thinking blue board may be the way to go - I found some more info out on the various diamana colors. I think red may be more of the same - white too much - and blue may be just right. But man they sure are pricey....