2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Matrix XCON5 - is this a rubbish shaft

Mikepaul

Driver Shaft
Just about everyone I've talked to states avoid this shaft in the Taylormade Tour Burner TP 2008, and get either the WB or Rombax

I have seen a few TM Burner TP 2008 on ebay all with XCON-5 shafts (all new i may add)

My question is, being the lightest shaft (and x-stiff) doesn't this shaft have the potential for longer drives than the heavier Diamana Whiteboard and fuki Rombax? if you can control the lively kick

I believe kenny perry used an XCON5 in one event and crushed some big drives.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it suits your tempo and temperament there's absolutely nothing like it - NOTHING. If you try to make it work when it's not in your wheelhouse it's going to be a disaster. I've set up many of these for various guys, and it's the one shaft in the Ozik line where I really try to make sure a guy hits one of my demos before buying. In the TM it plays a little soft to flex, which is tough - obviously an aftermarket install will be tuned more precisely (and still won't work for everyone). Here's what I think will make this shaft work:

A smooth swing with little right-hand "hit"

A swing which works well with an overlength 45 1/4-45 3/4" club

A swing which rarely misses high-left, and which could use some extra height and reduced spin

A swing which gets SMOOTHER when the guy really goes after it.

If you've got all of that, this shaft can really truly give you 15 legitimate extra yards over most anything else, with a huge omigod factor

2017 M2/Matrix Ozik F6M2
Cally XHP 15°/Altus or 3Deep/Striper H2
Cobra F8 4-5/F7M2
Cally XHP23/Altus hb or Cally X-Prototype 24°/Program 95
6-GW Cobra Forged One Length on flighted Matrix Program 95 OR MP-H4 ON PROGRAM F15
Scratch D/D wedges
Bettinardi QB3

I kinda felt that way awalkspoiled, you describe my swing perfectly which is why i plan on gettin one in X flex.

by the way, the ex-head pro at my club still swings a 425TP with a Rombax 55X and absolutely SMOKES it.

just make certain you test it first.

I can tell you that Mortons golf shop in Sacramento has demo's with each shaft you can try.

I just got the Tour Authentic Callaway FT-5th with the Xcon 5 in it. I have hit the CODE series of Matrix and loved it. I was NOT a fan of the XCON 6 though. Im hoping I can keep the swing smooth and simple with the Xcon 5 and it will perform. Been sick so I have not been able to try it, but tomorrow should be the day!

Very articulate and poignant response. Obviously u know what you speak!

I currently play an X-Con 5 tour issue FT-5 9.5 and I hit the perverbial "Oh my God" which everyone loves to do.

The absolute objective of driving is Bombs with Accuracy control.

Based on your X-CON 5 analysis what are you stating?

A. If you possess those qualities u state then no other shaft can produce the results as the X-Con 5?

The X-Con 5 has a relatively high tourque ranges from 4.3 to 4.0 doesn't this make control somewhat of an issue?

So what's the difference using compare each Altus, X-Con 6, F7M2 compared with the X-Con 5 as far as distance and accuracy

I hit my drives currently really well with smooth I beleive beautiful swing and goes 285 to 325 mostly carry but only use driver 4-5 holes on 18 holes as will defer to my 3 & 5 wood w 8M2 Xtiif and Hybrid x-stiff still getting ample distance and 80% plus in the fairway w easy approach.

Look forward to your analysis/response

Very articulate and poignant response. Obviously u know what you speak!

I currently play an X-Con 5 tour issue FT-5 9.5 and I hit the perverbial "Oh my God" which everyone loves to do.

The absolute objective of driving is Bombs with Accuracy control.

Based on your X-CON 5 analysis what are you stating?

A. If you possess those qualities u state then no other shaft can produce the results as the X-Con 5?

The X-Con 5 has a relatively high tourque ranges from 4.3 to 4.0 doesn't this make control somewhat of an issue?

So what's the difference using compare each Altus, X-Con 6, F7M2 compared with the X-Con 5 as far as distance and accuracy

I hit my drives currently really well with smooth I beleive beautiful swing and goes 285 to 325 mostly carry but only use driver 4-5 holes on 18 holes as will defer to my 3 & 5 wood w 8M2 Xtiif and Hybrid x-stiff still getting ample distance and 80% plus in the fairway w easy approach.

Look forward to your analysis/response

Yes, I do think that if the XCon 5 works for a player it really will be longer than anything else, including the other Oziks. It just won't work consistently for everyone, and when it misses it misses BIG.

Torque is so badly quantified that judging a shaft on a raw torque number is almost useless. For one thing, the various companies measure it differently. One thing is definitely true - an ultralight shaft with very tight torque will almost always have AWFUL feel.

Just to answer some of your questions about the other shafts in the line compared to the 5 - these are average comparisons - for some players they won't apply at all:

Altus will fly nearly as high and feel much smoother. Ballspeed is close and it offers better control

XCon 6 will feel stouter, fly slightly lower, turn over less easily and spin MORE (but not much)

F7M2 will fly much lower, feel smoother but play much stouter, spin less, be much more hook-resistant - better shaft for most stronger players but a poor choice for most swings under 100.

F6M2 - what I'm playing now - similar to the F7 but easier to load and easier to turn over. Less control than the 7, less distance for me than the Altus or the 5, but most workable and reliable even when my swing is off.

2017 M2/Matrix Ozik F6M2
Cobra F8 4-5/F7M2
6-GW Cobra Forged One Length on flighted Matrix Program 95 OR MP-H4 ON PROGRAM F15
Scratch D/D wedges
Bettinardi QB3

hey blackfinn, let me know the result... I have a DVS too on my Superquad, and I love the XCON 6 when I tried it on a Callaway head.. but XCON 5 feels too light for me.. will be interesting to see what you think (DVS vs XCON 5).

Hey Buz,

I've been hiting the XCON 5 in my XCG head a lot. When it is hit spot on, this combo is a monster. I was a bit worried of going to an ultralight shaft, thinging dispersion would suck due to high tip torque and that I would lose control that I had with the DVS. After exchanging PMs with Awalkspolied, I pulled the trigger on the XCON 5. So far, I hit the longest drives of my life with the XCON (even longer than my LV4/WB combo), and that's even before I hurt my back which lowered my SS. Don't get me wrong, I think the DVS is a great product (especially in all my FWs and hybrids), but the XCG head sems to really wake up with the XCON 5. IMO, the XCG head is very expolsive, but not as forgiving as, for example, the Sumo, XLS, G10 etc. Now I have to find a head to shaft with my pulled DVS - thinking a Ping G10. Anyone have this combo?

Edit: Clarification - I get about the same carry as I do with the LV4 X / WB combo, but even with a high launch, the XCG/XCON combo gives more roll out. I think because of less spin. The XCG is a low spin head and the XCON is a fairly low spin shaft.

I have a TM Tour Burner Tp with the Matrix-5 shaft in extra stiff.

My view from experience :

It is a good shaft, but suited to slower swing speed players, or those with a smooth transition where I think it really excells and earns the right to be called a premium shaft.

I play off plus 2 handicap and my clubhead speed is around 118-122mph, the Matrix is good when I stage hit a smooth swing (slow down the clubhead speed), but when I increase the CH speed the ball baloons or goes left and I know this is the shaft (having tried same head with a Whiteboard 73x) and well I loose distance over the Diamana.

This is just my experience, the Matrix will work well if you have a slower swing speed.

Mike Paul

I hit the Matrix in the TP, and it went left even in X. The torque was high, and the shaft was way light. If you aren't a rough tempo guy, or like light shafts then you may love it.

Ping G430 Max 10K 9° shaft???

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 3w Ventus Red 7

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 7w Ventus Red 7 

Srixon UX 4 23° Ventus Blue 8

Ping i230 5-U Dynamic Gold 105

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.10 (55°) and 60.08 Nippon Modus 105

Scotty Cameron 2024 Phantom 5.5

I think the xcon 5 is just too light and too torquey for anyone who has 100+ swing. If you want to stay xcon, the xcon 6 is way more stable, you can be smooth with it or go after one and the shaft isn't going to let you down.

I have the xcon 6 in my 425tp and it is deadly accurate and long.

I have a smooth swing at 102 SS. I can aggressively get to 108+ and the XCG/XCON can balloon very high, but with me it is a fade.

I know this about the x-con 5 but so many guys posting about XCG, anyone hit it with a x-con 6 in it? If so what loft and what is your ball or swing speed? What where the results...is it too low spin shaft with low spin head? I think that would depend on ss but I may be wrong.

I almost went with either a Code 6 or XCON 6, so I would like to also know how these shafts are doing in an XCG head. Anyone?

I am 56 with a SS in the high 90's and the Xcon 5 has been a godsend for me. Extra distance, great accuracy, higher flight. I have mine in an FT-5 9 degree. I have Xcon 6 in my CB2 fairway woods which I highly recommend as well.

Excellent analysis from agoodwalkspoiled. This shaft is not for someone with a high swing speed, high launch, and high spin. That person needs something on the opposite end of the spectrum(Diamana whiteboard X for instance).

I love my Xcon5 and I am now consistently out driving my regular playing companions who out-drove me in the past.

I am 56 with a SS in the high 90's and the Xcon 5 has been a godsend for me. Extra distance, great accuracy, higher flight. I have mine in an FT-5 9 degree. I have Xcon 6 in my CB2 fairway woods which I highly recommend as well.

Excellent analysis from agoodwalkspoiled. This shaft is not for someone with a high swing speed, high launch, and high spin. That person needs something on the opposite end of the spectrum(Diamana whiteboard X for instance).

I love my Xcon5 and I am now consistently out driving my regular playing companions who out-drove me in the past.

I have been spending a lot of time trying to tighten the dispersion with the XCG/XCON 5 combo. My SS is 102-104. IMO, the XCG head is low launch, low spin with some fade bias. With this combo, I've hit some out-of-the-park OMG drives. The ball flight is a moon shot and you would expect the ball to fall like rain at the flight apex, but the thing just keeps on going. I have never seen anything like it. The main issue is that even though I have a very repeatable swing (very smooth transition, aggressive loader), I cannot capture lightening in a bottle. The OMG factor keeps me trying.

I have been spending a lot of time trying to tighten the dispersion with the XCG/XCON 5 combo. My SS is 102-104. IMO, the XCG head is low launch, low spin with some fade bias. With this combo, I've hit some out-of-the-park OMG drives. The ball flight is a moon shot and you would expect the ball to fall like rain at the flight apex, but the thing just keeps on going. I have never seen anything like it. The main issue is that even though I have a very repeatable swing (very smooth transition, aggressive loader), I cannot capture lightening in a bottle. The OMG factor keeps me trying.

Was that shaft Spine/FLOed? I FLO all the Oziks before installing -the Zylon series (F7M2, F6M2, Altus and Altus LT) all FLO great logo-down, but the others sometimes need a little tweaking. Might be worth a shot if your swing is repeating but the ballflight isn't...

2017 M2/Matrix Ozik F6M2
Cobra F8 4-5/F7M2
Scratch D/D wedges
Bettinardi QB3

Was that shaft Spine/FLOed? I FLO all the Oziks before installing -the Zylon series (F7M2, F6M2, Altus and Altus LT) all FLO great logo-down, but the others sometimes need a little tweaking. Might be worth a shot if your swing is repeating but the ballflight isn't...

Knowing my club fitter, I don't think so. I can send it to you for a re-fit when you return in August. This combo rocks - until a mishit, then I'm 2 fairways over!