Am I doing something wrong?

longbutter

Training six months :o(
Okay the good news is I have been training for six months and have lost fourty pounds. The bad news is I have not seen any increase in my SS. I have been doing of mix of core training and a good amount of stretching and although I feel 100 % better I have not seen the gains in my SS I was expecting. Note: I have not added any heavy club swinging or speed stick type work. How can better focus my training to see some SS increases?

Driver- Cobra LTDx LS 9* Tensei 65S

3W- Cobra LDTx LS 14.5 Tensei 75S

2I- Taylormade 17* 790 UDi

4-W- Mizuno MP-66 KBS Tour 120S

50* 54* 58* Cleveland RTX4

Putter- Scotty Futura 5W

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buy a Speed Stick from Vijay Singh. Then swing it 20 times. Then hit the ball and try to keep your increased speed under control.

Look man, your swing speed isn't going to change unless you change your technique on the swing. There are fat f'ers that bust it 320 with a 120 mph swing and there are guys in shape with toned muscles that swing it 90-100 and hit 265.

2 ways to hit the ball farther - Release the club faster during the last 20 inches of the downswing or get a 46 inch + driver. I have a 46 inch and it helps me with 10 yards of distance.

You should notice your ability to get out of thick lies from 150 out change for the better. Plus you will be better conditioned for the last 6 holes of a round.

Thanks for your response, I have been contemplating things like the speed stick or power hitter. Just not quite sure which train of thought I believe in yet. For the record my SS is 115 and I have a very repeatable swing (0 handicap) I just thought that all the work I have been putting in the gym would be seen on the launch monitor. And thought some of the beasts around here could point me in the right direction in regards to training and or training tools.

Putter- Scotty Futura 5W

Thanks for your response, I have been contemplating things like the speed stick or power hitter. Just not quite sure which train of thought I believe in yet. For the record my SS is 115 and I have a very repeatable swing (0 handicap) I just thought that all the work I have been putting in the gym would be seen on the launch monitor. And thought some of the beasts around here could point me in the right direction in regards to training and or training tools.

First off if your true swing speed is around 115 your already hitting it as far as most touring pros do. I guarentee that the problem with your game is not, not hitting it far enough. If anything I would focus on areas you find are holding you back IE short game distance control etc. I would say the number one mistake most amateurs make when trying to hit it harder is not relaxing. The more relaxed the swing the faster the swing speed many times. You dont need to hit it further!

I understand that I am not short, however, all of the relaxing and stuff is alot easier if your max SS is 125 and you can swing nice and easy at 90 and keep it under control. I recently played in the NC amateur Championship with par 5's at 570, 581 and 564 and simply put could not get home on any of them. I am working feaverishly on my putting and short game to get to where I want to be in this game, but let's be honest getting home on par 5s sure does take the pressure off the rest of the game a bit. The reason I put this in the long drive section was to hear from the big guys of things that may helpful.

Putter- Scotty Futura 5W

yes its def going to be easier to swing at 115mph if you can swing at 125mph.

often i read advice on this and golfers tell each other dont swing too hard - thing is if you NEVER swing too hard you are never going to increase your max number!

i completely disagree with the dont swing too hard philosophy - i hit it long and i have ALWAYS swung hard - i figured when i competed in actualy golf events i just slow down

if you want power - get custom fit if not already, then work on arc coil resistance and for a period of time hit the range at least 3 times per week and dont give a shi* where it goes.

thing is it doesnt come easy - you can nearly always get faster if you actually work on it.

6 months time you will be capable of swinging faster. i could swing my driver at 115mph if i tried, it would be like slow motion.

k

What are some ways to work on Arc, coil,and resistance. Also, in the gym are the particular exercises that would help move this process along. One other thing do you swing any heavy weight clubs or troy bar at all. I have heard doing weighted club followed by your normal club will build strength and speed. I want to make sure I am gaining speed not just strength. I am strong enough already :))

Putter- Scotty Futura 5W

I understand that I am not short, however, all of the relaxing and stuff is alot easier if your max SS is 125 and you can swing nice and easy at 90 and keep it under control. I recently played in the NC amateur Championship with par 5's at 570, 581 and 564 and simply put could not get home on any of them. I am working feaverishly on my putting and short game to get to where I want to be in this game, but let's be honest getting home on par 5s sure does take the pressure off the rest of the game a bit. The reason I put this in the long drive section was to hear from the big guys of things that may helpful.

If your goal is to play better then hitting it longer should never be a goal of yours. If you ask ANY pro what they are working on at a given point in time they would almost never reply "distance". If you cannot get home in 2 on a par 5 that long then your short game should compensate.

often i read advice on this and golfers tell each other dont swing too hard - thing is if you NEVER swing too hard you are never going to increase your max number!

i completely disagree with the dont swing too hard philosophy - i hit it long and i have ALWAYS swung hard - i figured when i competed in actualy golf events i just slow down

if you want power - get custom fit if not already, then work on arc coil resistance and for a period of time hit the range at least 3 times per week and dont give a shi* where it goes.

thing is it doesnt come easy - you can nearly always get faster if you actually work on it.

6 months time you will be capable of swinging faster. i could swing my driver at 115mph if i tried, it would be like slow motion.

k

I doubt you play at a very high level. Go to a PGA tournament. Sit at the driving range. You will not see one HARD swing taken.

k

I doubt you play at a very high level. Go to a PGA tournament. Sit at the driving range. You will not see one HARD swing taken.

Extreme is a longdriver from across the pond, the first guy asks how to hit it farther (in the longrivers part of the swing perfomance/academy part) so a longdriver gave his opinion.

I have evaluated my game and I have been working feaverishly on my putting and short game. But I am looking for training advise that may be more golf specific so I can get to where I look like Ernies Els swinging at 119 and looking effortless. I just though by losing 50 pounds and working on flexibility I would have have seen some SS improvement. I have no desire to be a long driver, but in order to be able to maintain current distance, and control it with an 80% swing like the tour guys I need to work my max SS up into the 120's. The reason the guys on tour don't look like they are swinging hard is because they have trained themselves to a point where they can swing 115 with an 80% swing that is my goal. The statement about compensating for not being able to get home on par 5's is kind of out there. PGA tour scoring leaders are all among the top in par 5 scoring and that stat is generate by eagles and two putt birdies much more than wedge play. I do understand the importance, but I am not naive enough to think birdie from 90 yards is anywhere near as easy as a two putt birdie.

Putter- Scotty Futura 5W

Ask them why they all started working out when Tiger came on tour. And ask them all why they don't chase Fairways outside of the majors. It's because they are seeking distance. I know in order to compete at the highest level you have to be solid in all areas. But distance is still very important to most. Many can make up for it with other parts of their game, but all else being equal closer to the hole means easier approach shots and more birdies.

Putter- Scotty Futura 5W

Ask them why they all started working out when Tiger came on tour. And ask them all why they don't chase Fairways outside of the majors. It's because they are seeking distance. I know in order to compete at the highest level you have to be solid in all areas. But distance is still very important to most. Many can make up for it with other parts of their game, but all else being equal closer to the hole means easier approach shots and more birdies.

Very true statement from a simplistic view, however Golf isn't simple. Too many variables in Golf. If I play at a 7000 yard course that is wide open with few to no hazards, I can score better over 10 rounds than I could at a 6100 yard, cut of the woods, hazard, hilly ridden course.

So me taking my 255 - 275 drives to the 6100 yard course proves no advantage over someone who can hit the driver with more accuracy and shorter distance.

Being long helps no doubt, but 15 yards less and being more accurate with the driver is probably a better skill to have in general.

Plus, when a pro says he is seeking distance. They are not even thinking about accuracy, because the quality of their swings and contact, with shaft technology negates any thinking about accuracy. Accuracy is a given to them. A fixed element so to speak.

That is best time to reply, makes for interesting commentary. I have thick skin so don't worry you won't insult me.

Putter- Scotty Futura 5W

I am not trying to be argumentative, but I am working on becoming a competitive amateur player. And in order to be competitive, it is very important to get off the tee well and long. I understand the statement about putting it in play, and everyone is assuming I am trying to search distance and not accuracy. But at this time I am hitting fairways on par with top tour pros, my ball striking is right there as well. I am working feaverishly on my short game and putting to get to that next level of play. I can score anywhere, and on any length course, but I am trying find those yards that get me home on a 570 yard par 5 and makes playing 480 par 4's easier. Basically I am looking for a competitive advantage. And working out I thought would help but I haven't seen it yet. And that is what the original post was about, am I doing something wrong in my training that is getting in the way of increased club head speed. I have lost 50 pounds, worked on flexibility and core, yet my SS is the same. I was just hoping it would have had a bigger impact on my golf game.

Putter- Scotty Futura 5W

Longbutter, when I was in my late 20's i wanted to increase my clubhead speed or at least understand it better. None of the usual golf publications helped much so i went to the library and read up on basic high school physics.

Go study about the conservation of angular momentum first. Then take a look at how your body generates that--but then understand that the momentum (energy) has to be transfered (conserved) to the clubhead. these things should tell you a lot about your work out routine; and especially your timing and sequencing.

I'm 5' 9" and 165 lbs. I went from avg 265 yards to avg 295 yards in 2 months or so.

Good luck,

Virtuoso (I can't believe I have the balls to call myself that...)

WRX Status: FORUM ELDER (certification confirmed)

If you want to increase you swing speed, shaft your club with a 48" 55 gram shaft. be sure to use a head that can be lightened to compensate for the swing weight, TaylorMade MWT heads are good for this. i am 5'7" 140lbs and I average well over 300 yards without much effort at all, best thing I have ever done for my game. I do not know why more people trying this?

congratualations on the fitness gains, keep it up.

k

I would just say that most pga golfers probably started playing golf as kids and as kids swung hard, developed power and now swing within themeselves having refined there swing over many years, i am actually a pretty tasty golfer - was second in scottish boys many moons ago.

something jack nicklaus said a long time ago has stuck with me for 20years as a golfer, this isnt an exact quote but you will understand the sentiment.

as a kid i was always encouraged to hit far as i could always learn to hit straight later, doing this the other round is much harder.

Simply taking what people say and repeating it on the internet does not make you knowledgeable - i have played this game for many years with jacks mantra in mind, it seems to work for me and i believe it is the way to go if you want to increase power, GO NUTS then refine it!

I am 63 and went from 44" drivers to 48 and 50" drivers and low spinning heads with lower lofts. I gained at least 25 yards and now I am averaging 275 carry + another 15-20 yards roll. My swing speed is 110-115 depending on my flexibility that day.

Last week I hit two drives out of 14 over 300 yds.

Longbutter, when I was in my late 20's i wanted to increase my clubhead speed or at least understand it better. None of the usual golf publications helped much so i went to the library and read up on basic high school physics.

Go study about the conservation of angular momentum first. Then take a look at how your body generates that--but then understand that the momentum (energy) has to be transfered (conserved) to the clubhead. these things should tell you a lot about your work out routine; and especially your timing and sequencing.

I'm 5' 9" and 165 lbs. I went from avg 265 yards to avg 295 yards in 2 months or so.

Good luck,

Virtuoso (I can't believe I have the balls to call myself that...)

That is impressive, I am hoping to be upright at 63, then alone still able to hit it over 300. I have tried the long club idea, but I lacked the consistency I needed for tournament golf. I still bring out the ole 48" bang 450 for captain's choice events but for everyday golf and amateur events I cannot bag a big dog like that.

Putter- Scotty Futura 5W

• 2 months later...

SD Golfer fell and he can't get up!:drinks: (when you sober up, realize you've stumbled into the Long Driver's Lab!)

Longbutter: Have you ever tried swinging sledge hammers into tractor tires, golf style? Digging holes with a pick axe? How about throwing medicine balls sideways into a wall? If you want distance, you need speed and power. You also, like virtuoso said, need to learn efficiency. Learning how to use leverage efficiently will go a long way. Basic tools and drills like those mentioned may teach you better than simply working with the golf club.