2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Just a vent ...

Went to my local dog track to hit my $10 bucket of water-logged shag balls today ... Left my trunk open came back and my custom Cameron was gone.

Seriously ... Who steals a putter out of somebody's trunk 50-feet from the clubhouse?

• Sad 3

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

23 minutes ago, North Butte said:

I don't want to engage in victim blaming but was there a reason you had to leave your trunk open? 

I didn't have to ... It was just easier ... And I didn't know I was playing with a bunch of thieves.

2 hours ago, tatertot said:

Went to my local dog track to hit my $10 bucket of water-logged shag balls today ... Left my trunk open came back and my custom Cameron was gone.

Seriously ... Who steals a putter out of somebody's trunk 50-feet from the clubhouse?

Not sure your definition of Dog Track, but are you really surprised? 

Trunk open , an invitation….

Had a few things absconded by others at private clubs.

Also had a wallet I left on the back bumper, fell off in the parking lot, and returned , INTACT, a day later,  at a public course in Miami.  

• Thanks 2

Sorry to hear man. That’s a bummer. Bunch of savages out there. 

I didn't have to ... It was just easier ... And I didn't know I was playing with a bunch of thieves.

You left your trunk open on purpose ?!?!?!

At a NYC Muni some 50 years ago I'd finished a round playing with 2 females and a guy.

Walked to my car about 30 yards from the clubhouse steps and noticed one of the ladies putting her bag down at the foot of the steps as she made her way into the clubhouse to use the facilities.

No sooner had the clubhouse door closed behind her than a black van pulled up to the lady's clubs, a guy from inside slid the side door open, jumped out and pulled the clubs into the van and closed the door. The driver hit the gas and drove right out of the short driveway.

Musta took all of 20 seconds or so.

I couldn't see the license plate and I told the lady what happened when she came out of the clubhouse and discovered her clubs missing.

At my home course we used to park our bags right outside the snack bar's door, just off the pro shop. Bags went missing from there from time to time. Sheesh

Nothing much surprises me nowadaze,,,,,,,,,,, :classic_sad:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

5 hours ago, tatertot said:

I didn't have to ... It was just easier 

Easier than what? Serious question  Do you leave your front door open when you leave your house? It's awful you had your Cameron stolen but you aren't blameless in this. Opening/closing a car trunk isn't taxing. 

• Like 3

After our rounds, we usually go inside the clubhouse to square up bets. I always roll my pushcart and bag in with me. My friends do the same. 

I had a friend playing with us that hadn’t played with us before at my course and he was going to leave his push cart outside. When he saw the rest of us rolling ours in he said, “Is there really that much crime that you feel you have to roll your carts inside?”

I said, “I don’t know. My cart’s always inside.”  He rolled his inside also. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Augster said:

After our rounds, we usually go inside the clubhouse to square up bets. I always roll my pushcart and bag in with me. My friends do the same. 

Wow.... that could not happen here, you are not allowed to enter any inside facilitied with a cart. Then again, I have never seen anybody to try it.

If one is worried about one's gear getting stolen one can always put one's gear in one's car (and close and lock all the doors...) before entering the clubhouse. That is a rather common way to act, at least around here.

P.S. I can only imagine how much dirt, mud and grass cuttings there are on your clubhouse floor after a 100 golfers have all rolled their carts inside after having played a round on a wet course. Must build a healthy appetite... 🫢

Edited by Mr. Bean
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

I don't know the social or economic status of the members at your course, but to be honest, I am not sure why there would be any surprise to the fact that there are unscrupulous people out there, well to do or not. Sorry for the loss of your club though.

Edited by Dpavs

Posted (edited)

Damn. If I go into the clubhouse for awhile before a round or in between I’ll park the cart (push or motorized) where I can see it, or if a longer break I’ll go put the clubs back in the truck. At a strange course if possible I’ll get payment sorted out, etc. and then go get my clubs when it’s time to go to the range or play so they aren’t laying around and have been known to politely but firmly avoid/refuse bag drops at certain places. 

Sad, but have to assume thieves are always about. 

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Damn. If I go into the clubhouse for awhile before a round or in between I’ll park the cart (push or motorized) where I can see it, or if a longer break I’ll go put the clubs back in the truck. At a strange course if possible I’ll get payment sorted out, etc. and then go get my clubs when it’s time to go to the range or play so they aren’t laying around and have been known to politely but firmly avoid/refuse bag drops at certain places. 

Very sound procedure.

• Like 1

This sort of reminds me of all the people who post on NextDoor about how their car was stolen, and then later go on to say that they left the keys in it...

Sucks your putter was taken, but I kind of have to agree with the others. Leaving your trunk open in the parking lot of what you described as your "local dog track" was pretty foolish, and I assume it's a mistake you won't make again.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, shankasaurus rex said:

Hard not to blame the victim here, who not only left the trunk unlocked, but OPEN, with a valuable, custom putter in plain sight, because of laziness!!!!! That's beyond comprehension. Consider it a lesson learned. Nobody participating in this thread has ever lived in a world where that was a good idea.

Wasn't a good idea, but I don't think it's just a matter of semantics to suggest any victim of crime isn't to "blame" for the behavior of a criminal.

• Like 1

Cop of 22 years here. Yep, I'd see that theft happening in about 2 seconds.  Dog track, open trunk, expensive item in sight, opportunity.   Done!   Not sure insurance will even cover it with the open trunk.

I always walk.   I never leave my cart and clubs unattended, except to walk 30 feet to check in at the shop.   I always take the remote with me.   You can't push the cart without the remote!   And I always leave the cart where I can see it from the counter in the shop.  It's habit from being a cop but I'm always aware of who's around when I walk into the shop.  When heading to the restaurant after the round I always put the clubs and cart in the car, locked. 

• Like 2

Nah, saying it's a bad idea to leave your trunk open for no good reason isn't victim blaming. That's sound, simple (and I think obvious) advice.

It would, however, be victim blaming to speculate that maybe he left his trunk open because he wanted the losers at that "dog track" to see what an expensive putter he owns. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, North Butte said:

Nah, saying it's a bad idea to leave your trunk open for no good reason isn't victim blaming. That's sound, simple (and I think obvious) advice.

It would, however, be victim blaming to speculate that maybe he left his trunk open because he wanted the losers at that "dog track" to see what an expensive putter he owns. 

I think it's sound advice but @shankasaurus rex suggested the victim was to blame (maybe just a poor choice of words) - fortunately others aren't blaming the OP and again, totally agree with not ever leaving the trunk open.  A couple of years ago I got a call while on the course - I'd left the passenger side window on my truck wide open and my laptop/case was just sitting on the seat - someone went in the clubhouse and asked if someone knew how to reach me, and the guy hung out until I got there to make sure nothing got removed - sped back in and took care of it, so . . . also don't get in a hurry!

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, shankasaurus rex said:

Hard not to blame the victim here, who not only left the trunk unlocked, but OPEN, with a valuable, custom putter in plain sight, because of laziness!!!!! That's beyond comprehension. Consider it a lesson learned. Nobody participating in this thread has ever lived in a world where that was a good idea.

Let me guess ... Your clubs are never out of your sight? You take them with you when you hit the john.

Easy to go back and say I should have closed the trunk ... But sad we live in a world where you have to watch your belongings 24/7, or it's assumed someone will walk away with your stuff.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Abh159 said:

This sort of reminds me of all the people who post on NextDoor about how their car was stolen, and then later go on to say that they left the keys in it...

Sucks your putter was taken, but I kind of have to agree with the others. Leaving your trunk open in the parking lot of what you described as your "local dog track" was pretty foolish, and I assume it's a mistake you won't make again.

When I read "NextDoor" made me think about Ring "Neighbors" posting lost pets (coyotes get them) and car windows broken, some people leave their cars unlocked, so at night thieves get at purses, bags and laptops setting in open on seats, and owners are surprised.  The other day, someone left their car door wide open at a club. 

Some people have this happen more than once too.  I never leave my bag out of sight, and my Daily Driver automatically locks itself down after I am 30' away.  Here in SOCAL thieves are everywhere.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge 113
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

4 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

I think it's sound advice but @shankasaurus rex suggested the victim was to blame (maybe just a poor choice of words) - fortunately others aren't blaming the OP and again, totally agree with not ever leaving the trunk open.  A couple of years ago I got a call while on the course - I'd left the passenger side window on my truck wide open and my laptop/case was just sitting on the seat - someone went in the clubhouse and asked if someone knew how to reach me, and the guy hung out until I got there to make sure nothing got removed - sped back in and took care of it, so . . . also don't get in a hurry!

I stated, as I hope you can understand, that it's hard not to blame the victim. Take it as you will, but the wording was quite intentional. Accidentally leaving a door unlocked or a window open is one thing; intentionally leaving a trunk standing open with valuables inside is absolutely beyond comprehension. Hopefully, a basic life skill will be learned here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tatertot said:

Let me guess ... Your clubs are never out of your sight? You take them with you when you hit the john.

Easy to go back and say I should have closed the trunk ... But sad we live in a world where you have to watch your belongings 24/7, or it's assumed someone will walk away with your stuff.

They're in my sight, the sight of someone I trust, or they're in the car with the trunk closed and locked. At a minimum, I'm going to take reasonable, commonsense precautions to prevent my stuff from getting stolen. The utopia where you could just leave your possessions strewn around and never have them stolen never existed, at least not somewhere populated.

6 hours ago, shankasaurus rex said:

I stated, as I hope you can understand, that it's hard not to blame the victim. Take it as you will, but the wording was quite intentional. Accidentally leaving a door unlocked or a window open is one thing; intentionally leaving a trunk standing open with valuables inside is absolutely beyond comprehension. Hopefully, a basic life skill will be learned here. 

No doubt there is comfort in such certainty.

Image.jpeg

• Haha 1