2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Educate me on Re-shafting hybrids, total costs etc?

CosmosMpower

Struggling with current shaft configs, help!
I put a few of my hybrids for sale as I just can't hit them up in the air consistently. The Nickent 4DX 23 degree has the stock SR3 shaft in stiff flex and the Adams A3 Boxer 19 degree has the Prolaunch red. The Prolaunch doesn't specify a flex. I normally use regular flex in everything and I think that one shaft is too stiff for my swing and the other is known to be low launch (Prolaunch red).

Instead of starting all over I thought about trying to re-shaft both hybrids with something in regular flex that's easier to hit and help me get the ball in the air. Can you reccomend me a good but reasonable priced hybrid shaft, maybe something with high launch? Where can I buy individual shafts that fit my spec without spending the same amount of money as buying a whole new club? What's the usual labor cost at a big box retailer like golf galaxy or PGAtoursuperstore to get the work done?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My swing speed is between 88 and 91 mph for driver and I shoot low to high 90's (a bit inconsistent). I'm just looking for my hybrids to go fairly straight from 180-220 yards between the 2 since I hit my 5 iron to about 170-180. I play from the whites so I rarely need to hit anything off the deck 250+.

Also keep in mind I know nothing about reshafting clubs, so I don't really understand what tip diameter, tip prep etc really means but would love to learn.

If you want a hybrid to have a high launch Prolaunch Blue HY is the way to go.

What's the approximate cost of one of these and where can I find one? I have one in my Adams 3 wood, maybe I can go snag another one and have the shaft pulled. Is a FW wood shaft the same as a hybrid shaft except for the length?

I'm a firm believer in heavier shafts than those offered by most OEMs. There are three of us in our group who all changed these graphite shafts they offer for TT Dyn Gold S300s and it much improved our hybrid performance. I'm suggesting that you look at either( graphite or steel) in the weight range of 85-125 grams per shaft. Just my experience and opinion for what it may be worth . Good Luck!

I'm a firm believer in heavier shafts than those offered by most OEMs. There are three of us in our group who all changed these graphite shafts they offer for TT Dyn Gold S300s and it much improved our hybrid performance. I'm suggesting that you look at either( graphite or steel) in the weight range of 85-125 grams per shaft. Just my experience and opinion for what it may be worth . Good Luck!

What's the reasoning behind the heavier weight working better? It seems to me that I tend to hit better with a reasonably flexible lightweight shaft in my drivers something in the weight range of 50-55 grams.

Also how can I tell if a particular shaft will fit in the heads? A3 boxer and 4DX ironwood.

The thing is irons and hybrids, tend to be short length clubs that you want to maintain accuracy. That's what a heavier shaft offers you, more accuracy.

Fairway woods and drivers tend to have light shafts for distance.

I have used 65g shafts in drivers for some time now, just moved to a 75g shaft in my fairway wood, and that prolaunch blue I believe is around 85g. Purely because it sounded like a good idea and it has worked out rather well. I still get plenty of distance with my hybrid and fairway wood and they both feel great.

The swing with a hybrid is quite different than one with a driver. The hybrid will be used in many different circumstances and lies as opposed to a driver. As to the tip size required, you can easily get that info by emailing the club mfg websites. Usually it's .370 or .355.

I found that they both use .370. I found a lot of the aftermarket shaft options and pulls are .355 and I understand it's possible to use some kind of shim to make a smaller shaft play in the larger head, but does it feel any different than picking the correct tip in the first place?

I have it narrowed down to Prolaunch blue, Fuji Banzai and V2 HL hybrid shafts. It seems like the hybrid specific shafts are all around 80-85 grams where as some fairway wood shafts are 70-75. Would I notice a big difference putting a 75G prolaunch blue pulled from a fairway wood in the hybrids?

You won't be able to find the proper size from a fairway wood pull.

They will either be .335 or .35, which can still be shimmed I guess, but idk.

Honestly the hybrid shafts tend to be cheaper anyway, so you won't save that much money getting a FW pull. And it won't fit the club quite as well.

Right now you can get 15% of orders of $75 or more from golfsmith (I can get you the code if you want), you could pick up 2 prolaunch blue HY for $40 a piece, after the 15% off you are only spending like $34 a shaft, or any of the other shafts you were looking at and get the 15% off.

You won't be able to find the proper size from a fairway wood pull.

They will either be .335 or .35, which can still be shimmed I guess, but idk.

Honestly the hybrid shafts tend to be cheaper anyway, so you won't save that much money getting a FW pull. And it won't fit the club quite as well.

Right now you can get 15% of orders of $75 or more from golfsmith (I can get you the code if you want), you could pick up 2 prolaunch blue HY for $40 a piece, after the 15% off you are only spending like $34 a shaft, or any of the other shafts you were looking at and get the 15% off.

That's a good point, however I just ran to Walmart at lunch and grabbed the $17 Adams RPM redline 5 wood with a regular flex Prolaunch blue shaft in it. I did some reading up and the shaft in that 5 wood is indeed .335 but I think I'll just have it shimmed to .370 (unless that's too big of a gap to shim it) and cut it down to 40" from 42.5". It's 75 grams vs the hybrid specific version of that shaft which is 80 grams.

I've put together a spreadsheet including the PL blue, PL platinum, V2 hybrid, Fujikura Banzai hybrid, Graphite design YS-6 hybrid, Aldila NVS. I'm not sure which one would fit my needs the best. Do I look for a low torque number, a specific weight? I usually prefer a slightly whippier shaft since when I don't go after a swing hard my SS is probably mid to high 80's and some stiffer regular flex shafts like the V2 feel boardy to me.

Ya, it's worth a shot. Saves some money, just check on how much you are going to get charged to pull the shafts, since you will have 2 more pulls.

In the end it might not save as much as you think.

Thanks, I'm going to run up to golf galaxy today after work and see what they say. What's a reasonable price to pull 4 shafts and re-install 2 usually? I completely forgot about the labor to pull shafts out of the Walmart Adams, you could be right with just buying 2 new shafts.

I also looked around on Fujikura's website and they have what looks to be a promising shaft for me, the 160HB. 65 grams, 4.1 torque, .370 tip and high launch with a low/mid kickpoint.

Price, I have no idea, I've never had them do anything like that. Golf galaxy tends to be pretty similar to golf smith in prices, they charge $20 a club to reshaft it, but then you would have to pay whatever they want to remove the prolaunch blues as well, and they may charge more to shim it up.

What you could try, go to golf galaxy, and on the right they have a link to a shaft selector for you. You could check that out and get a few suggestions, take those into golf galaxy and just talk to the clubmaker about the choices. They should be able ot help you make a decision.

Here is a link to the shaft fitter. MPF Shaft Worksheet

Price, I have no idea, I've never had them do anything like that. Golf galaxy tends to be pretty similar to golf smith in prices, they charge $20 a club to reshaft it, but then you would have to pay whatever they want to remove the prolaunch blues as well, and they may charge more to shim it up.

What you could try, go to golf galaxy, and on the right they have a link to a shaft selector for you. You could check that out and get a few suggestions, take those into golf galaxy and just talk to the clubmaker about the choices. They should be able ot help you make a decision.

Here is a link to the shaft fitter. MPF Shaft Worksheet

So I called around to get labor prices. Golf Galaxy and PGAtoursuperstore both want about 25 bucks to do the labor (pull the shaft from the FW, pull the shaft from the hybrid and put the FW shaft into the hybrid). Tack that on top of the 17 I paid for the FW and I'm looking at about 45 give or take. They aren't sure they can shim a .335 to a .370 either.

I think I'm just going to buy 2 new .370 PL blue hybrid shafts for 80 bucks and pay about 30-40 for labor to have them installed in the hybrids so about 120 minus the 15% discount or 100 bucks total to do it the right way.