Some people get out of hand with this "pace of play" BS

if you have space open in front of you, and anyone is on your heels, you should let them go thorough even if you are on pace to finish 18 in 2 hours

no reason to attempt to be the "pace police" and slow people down because while you may playing faster than the course requires there is no reason to slow anyone else down if it's avoidable

don't be like those asshats on the freeway driving 70 in the fast lane

If there is no place for you to go after I permit you to play through, even if you asked me nicely, what's the point?

Oh, and BTW... if I'm in the fast lane on the highway and you come up behind me and flash your lights, I'm happy to move over as soon as I have a break in the traffic on my right to do so. But if you tailgate me, you WILL get a faceful of my brake lights and rear bumper. And God help you if you hit me. Then we'd see if your lawyer could beat up my lawyer, and how much of your salary you'd have garnished.

As I said in an earlier post, I'm not inclined to tolerate attempts at intimidating me.

I so hate that I was in the left hand lane doing the post speed just yesterday

I was within a quarter of a mile of my intended left hand turn when a guy ran up on my back bumper

Not really wanting to get hit I laid on the horn and just held it there and then I slowed down to like 30 miles and hour its a 50 area but I could see the right hand lane was full and he could not get over

I held him there until my turn then I gave him a little salute and turned . Ha Ha

On a side note to the guy that said he shot 30 in nine holes in forty minutes

I once played over 200 holes in a day I was ten under for the day and shot eighty the last round

what does that have to do with anything. Some people can play at a faster pace than others but the point is very simple its not a race .

Most of those that play like it is a race and hit in to people should be banned from the sport.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not much of your story rings true. I doubt the 1:20 minute front nine, just over 3 hours total for 18. For two high school kids walking that would be a super fast pace, for a twosome including a 60 year old man, on a regulation length course, I don't buy it. Also, I'm not sure if the group behind you was a threesome or foursome, but you mentioned they had carts, so I assume it was at least 3 players. If they were indeed "terrible golfers bunting the ball 100 yards", then their pace would be more in the 2 hours for nine range, not the 1:20 you claim.

Anyway, you should have let them play through.

Let me say to start that I can't stand being behind a really slow group and there is no excuse for a 6 hour round, that being said, some people take it too far.

This past Sunday I played a round with my father at a local county course. He is just getting back into the game after about 10 years off due to chronic back injuries. He retired this year, lost 60lbs and can now play pain free. We teed off at 12:30pm and were walking, just the two of us.

At about the 8th hole (a par 5) I am hitting my third shot into the green when a ball flies past me and into the left trees. I am clearly in view and heard no warning. We finish the hole as they drive up in their carts and I asked for a little warning next time. We play the subsequent par 3 pretty quick, putting out as they drive up to the tee but they insist on hitting the minute my foot steps off the green. Next hole (the 9th) is a short par 4 and the ranger drives up to us in the fairway and tells us the group behind us was complaining of slow play. It was only about an hour and 20 minutes since we teed off. I told the ranger what time we teed off and he said, "Oh, well then carry on, I'll go talk to them." (As an aside this was the first intelligent ranger I've encountered on this course)

We sped up a little anyway and watching these guys come up the hole next to us, I realized that they were basically playing speed golf. They were all terrible golfers, just bunting the ball 100 or so yards at a clip, no practice swings and driving in their carts as fast as they could to the next shot. No once did they ask to play through or even drive up to us so that we could offer. All they did was try to catch us the entire day, rarely even putting out. I had to turn around and say something a few times as shots got close to us. If they had approached like civilized people, I certainly would have let them play through if they wanted to play that fast, although I suspect that once they were in front the speed golf would have stopped.

We finished the round in just over 3 hours. Pretty damn fast in my estimation. If you play at 1pm on a Sunday afternoon, don't expect a faster round than that.

My question is this, why this insane obsession with playing as fast as you can?

Also, there is never an excuse to hit at someone. For 90% of the round we were plenty ahead of them, but every so often they caught up to us and refused to wait before hitting. Luckily we were usually in the fairway which was fairly safe from their shots. The fact that my father was with me and not some of my more hot headed golf buddies prevented a confrontation on numerous occasions (I tend to be the calm one in my regular group).

Golf is not a speed game, relax, enjoy the game, and if you are anything like these a**holes, maybe concentrate a little more on the score instead of the time.

Oh and if you hit at someone that is in plain sight, don't be surprised to find your ball missing or behind a tree or perhaps even sailing back in your direction.

I gave specific reasons why I question his story.

A twosome, including a 60 year old man just getting back into golf, do not walk a regulation course front nine in 1:20 minutes.

Two young guys hitting every green and sticking every pin, maybe.

Also, if the group behind them was 3 or 4 players "bunting the ball 100 yards", they would not be on a 1:20 pace either.

Even the "they hit into me when I was hitting my 3rd shot" doesn't make any sense. The OP claimed the guys hitting 100 yard full shots blew one by him on a hole. That means the player was like 50 yards behind him when he swung ?

None of the OP's story rings true to me, so I call bs.

As far as what the OP has to gain by telling this tale, who knows ?

Maybe he and his dad are tired of being blamed for slow play and he is looking for some sympathy. That is my guess.

My suggestion is that they should find a time to play when the course is empty, or they should let groups behind them play through, or they should spend the $15 and get a cart.

Rope

Not sure why you are questioning the mans story , considering he has nothing to gain by not telling the truth

But I will ask you a question would you let someone play through that Hit into you?

if you have space open in front of you, and anyone is on your heels, you should let them go thorough even if you are on pace to finish 18 in 2 hours

no reason to attempt to be the "pace police" and slow people down because while you may playing faster than the course requires there is no reason to slow anyone else down if it's avoidable

don't be like those asshats on the freeway driving 70 in the fast lane

If there is no place for you to go after I permit you to play through, even if you asked me nicely, what's the point?

Oh, and BTW... if I'm in the fast lane on the highway and you come up behind me and flash your lights, I'm happy to move over as soon as I have a break in the traffic on my right to do so. But if you tailgate me, you WILL get a faceful of my brake lights and rear bumper. And God help you if you hit me. Then we'd see if your lawyer could beat up my lawyer, and how much of your salary you'd have garnished.

As I said in an earlier post, I'm not inclined to tolerate attempts at intimidating me.

I full heartedly agree, if there's nowhere to go, or no open space ahead there is no reason to let anyone through, really there's nothing to be gained if there's no space for them to go

I also agree with frozenrope, the pace of play for a 60 year old fresh off a back injury and walking just does not sound like it'd be within the realm of reason for a 3 hour round

just like guys dinking the ball 100 yards at a time doesn't sound like a recipe for a 3 hour round either

I would tend to belive the actual elapsed time of the round has been "polished up" to make his story sound like the guys behind him were worse than they actually were

A twosome, including a 60 year old man just getting back into golf, do not walk a regulation course front nine in 1:20 minutes.

Also, if the group behind them was 3 or 4 players "bunting the ball 100 yards", they would not be on a 1:20 pace either.

Even the "they hit into me when I was hitting my 3rd shot" doesn't make any sense. The OP claimed the guys hitting 100 yard full shots blew one by him on a hole. That means the player was like 50 yards behind him when he swung ?

Maybe he and his dad are tired of being blamed for slow play and he is looking for some sympathy. That is my guess.

My suggestion is that they should find a time to play when the course is empty, or they should let groups behind them play through, or they should spend the $15 and get a cart.

Rope

Not sure why you are questioning the mans story , considering he has nothing to gain by not telling the truth

But I will ask you a question would you let someone play through that Hit into you?

Have you considered politics I mean you still have not answered my question.

Fair enough. You wrote " would you let someone play through that hit into you"?

First of all, I mostly play in the early a.m. , at or very near the first tee time of the day.This greatly reduces the chances of slow play, or coming across hackers who belong on a par 3 track. Yes, I believe a player should start the game on a driving range and par 3 course until he/she is capable of consistently hitting some greens.

Now back to the question. Occasionally I do play mid morning or afternoon rounds. In that case, if I am part of a threesome or foursome, and there is a single or twosome behind us, and there are open holes in front of my group, I immediately wave the players behind us to play through. This is textbook golf etiquette. Contrary to some of the foolish posts on this thread, it is not the responsibility of the subsequent group to "ask" to play through. It is the obligation of the group in front to wave through the group behind them so long as there are open holes ahead. Since I observe on course courtesy it is very rare any player would ever hit into my group. But, my words here have not really answered your question. If the holes ahead of my group were full, and if there was someone behind us who into my group, I would turn around give the finger to the offending player. If the guy did it again, and he was bigger than me, I would stand aside and let his group play through. If the offender was my size or smaller, I would pick up his ball and put it in my pocket.

Rope

Have you considered politics I mean you still have not answered my question.

I played with an older (85?) man at my muni recently. He wore upside down visor (Parnevik style) with a pull cart...his drives were about 140 yds, but the old phucker just kept moving. At the turn, we figured he was done...being old and all....nope, he was playing 18, AND keeping with the pace. Couple of time we had to hold him back so we could hit. Anyway, around #15, he seemed to start slowing so we asked him how he was holding up...he got offended and said 'If I'm holding you guys up, go ahead'! We were shocked, thought it was cool and kept playing with him. Cool guy.

Last week, played with another 80+ guy, he shot 37 (+1), got a bogey on the monster 575yd par 5. He kept up real well. He started playing in 1954, on the same course!!!

Just thought i'd mention that here, not sure how much it applies.

I don't go out and golf unless I know I don't have to be somewhere for at least another 5-6 hours. I love nothing more than teeing off first thing in the morning by myself and go at my own pace knowing that the 3 or 4 groups of 4-some behind me are all retired seniors. I can finish in about 3 hours and still get home at about 10 AM. Now that I've gotten to know some of the local seniors, I also like to take my time and tee off with the old geezers, listening to their Vietnam war stories. Sometimes I don't get home until 11:30 which gives me just enough time to shower and run off to work. Either way it's all good. The only time I run into problem with people playing too fast/slow is when I play on the weekends. I don't play on the weekends anymore.

So I had written a detailed response to the guy that questioned my story, explaining that the times were in fact accurate, but you know what, I deleted it because I really don't give a s*** if he believes me or not. Sorry man, not up for a pissing match. Story was true, guys behind me were douches, majority on here seem to agree. Not much more to say.

you should have just told the marshall that you weren't holding that twosome up and even if you were if you were within the course's requirements for pace of play than you are under no obligation to let them play through. if that twosome really wanted to get ahead of you tell them to skip a couple holes. Marshals really have no right to force you to do something. those guys are just retired dudes looking for free golf. if he insisted tell him to go to the proshop and drive a pro out there to talk to you. i would blame the marshall more than anyone on that one. Marshalls are pretty useless in my experience.

i was replying to one of Ronzo's posts where the ranger asked him to let a twosome play through and he had to wait 10 minutes for them to just get to the tee and Ronzo's group was on pace. i don't have any issue with Marshal's besides the fact they are useless. i play at a private club now and we govern ourselves with out a problem. i played public golf for 20 years and just watched them sit in their cart or go look for lost balls for their collection.

Slow play is much more of a pain than fast players.

It's difficult to explain to people that they are slowing up the ENTIRE GOLF COURSE.

Fast people? Just make them walk. Nobody will be huffing and puffing from jogging to their golf ball. They will play at a decent pace if you eliminate the carts.

I jog between shots to be able to count golf as exercise. I dont mind 4 hour round if every one is moving at that pace.

What I do not like is when a group loses touch with the group ahead of them and a "GAP" open do to pace of play. THen They are the problem and should either skip a hole or allow other through.

I usually play my 9 hole walks at 1 hour 15 mins even hitting multiple balls for practice.

i was replying to one of Ronzo's posts where the ranger asked him to let a twosome play through and he had to wait 10 minutes for them to just get to the tee and Ronzo's group was on pace. i don't have any issue with Marshal's besides the fact they are useless. i play at a private club now and we govern ourselves with out a problem. i played public golf for 20 years and just watched them sit in their cart or go look for lost balls for their collection.

It seemed as though he was just justifying his existence. Last week when I played there, he came up on the second tee and said, "I know you're flagged for a handicapped cart, but the two guys in back of you asked me why you were in the rough next to the green."

I said, "Why didn't you just tell them that, instead of coming over here and interrupting us when we're getting ready to tee off?"

I wasn't trying to be rude, and I said it without an edge in my voice, but this guy has NO clue whatsoever. Plus, he was nowhere to be found when the group behind us hit into us while we were on the 13th green from 130 yards away with people waiting to tee off on the 14th tee. My friend was so angry he picked up on the hole. I had to talk him out of a confrontation.

Seems to be a high AQ at that course. In a couple of weeks, their rates will go up for the winter and they won't see us often, if at all. They're hurting themselves by allowing this BS to continue.

It is becoming the new phenomena see how fast you can get around so you can sit in the clubhouse and suck beer.

If this is the case, I sure haven't noticed it. Slow play seems to be the most prevalent style of golf in my recent experience.

Regardless, there is no excusing rude behavior from either slow or fast players.

It is becoming the new phenomena see how fast you can get around so you can sit in the clubhouse and suck beer.

If this is the case, I sure haven't noticed it. Slow play seems to be the most prevalent style of golf in my recent experience.

Regardless, there is no excusing rude behavior from either slow or fast players.

Really give you the perfect example. Two weekends ago I played with my regular group and we ended up in a fivesome our fifth is a nice guy that shoots around ninety and had a horrible day.

The foursome ahead of us are very fast players and we never caught up with them. The group behind us never came close to catching us.

My buddy was in a bad mood and his game showed it. When I ask him whats up on like 16 he says its so GD slow I got better things to do than stay out here all day. Now at this time he was playing golf and drinking beer.

When I got in I put my clubs away and then checked the clock it was one pm we started after nine

We settled our bets and I headed to the house, later I called my buddy Mr its to slow on his cell it was like 4 pm He answered and I ask him where the hell he was He was still sitting in the clubhouse drinking beer.

Most of these guys dont drink that long when they are gone but they stay for and hour or two everytime.

Me I usually leave when the bets are settled or at worst after I have had some lunch.

Ken

you should have just told the marshall that you weren't holding that twosome up and even if you were if you were within the course's requirements for pace of play than you are under no obligation to let them play through. if that twosome really wanted to get ahead of you tell them to skip a couple holes. Marshals really have no right to force you to do something. those guys are just retired dudes looking for free golf. if he insisted tell him to go to the proshop and drive a pro out there to talk to you. i would blame the marshall more than anyone on that one. Marshalls are pretty useless in my experience.

Actually in this case, the Marshall was pretty intelligent. The guys behind us apparently complained of "slow play." I showed the ranger my receipt with tee time on it and told him we had been hit into and he said "oh you're ahead of pace, i'll go tell them to get off your a** and warn them that if they hit into you again they'll be removed." It was at that point that they seemed to refrain a little from hitting into us (although got close a few times).

By the way, I am amazed at how long this post has captured everyone's interest. I wrote very soon after that round of golf when I was still pissed. At this point I'm pretty much over it. Haha!

Wow, some people in this world are just ignorant. But honestly guys try playing 5:30 rounds in tournaments. Shotgun starts at 7am where you probly have not played the course and there is 2 sets of groups per hole. ahhhhhhhh nightmeres just thinking of my summer golf tournaments!!

WITB 2019:

Callaway Epic Flash Sub 0 Driver
Callaway Rogue 3-wood
Callaway Apex MB 3-PW
Chrome 4 Wedges 52 & 56
Ping Anser No.5 Putter

Blues Golfer:

I do not know why you would disagree with the etiquette of allowing a faster group to play through, especially when it would make it more enjoyable for all. It is a lot like the mentality of the person who decides to hold up traffic because "he is going the speed limit". Maybe you don't "have to", but if it would make your day better and those behind you, why would you not do it? We all have a right to an opinion and I will respect your option of not agreeing with me. If the group decides to hit into you, I would hope that you would call the pro shop and are fortunate to have a professional that would remove the offender from the course, as I have done numerous times through the years

• 4 weeks later...

My sixsome gets out in 4hours to 4.5hours 18 holes all walking. People always complain on the tee mound before we tee off that they will get stuck behind us.

Once out on the course though foursomes have a hard time keeping up. All it takes is ready golf and good golf as well I guess. I posted the 2nd worst score among us six yesterday, 80 from the tips. 2 guys shot 73.

My sixsome gets out in 4hours to 4.5hours 18 holes all walking. People always complain on the tee mound before we tee off that they will get stuck behind us.

Once out on the course though foursomes have a hard time keeping up. All it takes is ready golf and good golf as well I guess. I posted the 2nd worst score among us six yesterday, 80 from the tips. 2 guys shot 73.

If I played behind a sixsome that played in 4.5 hours I would be irritated if my group was held up, just the same as if it was a 4 some. Not only because you were a sixsome....but because you took more than 4 hours to play doing that. Could care less about what you shoot actually, as long as you keep a moderate pace. Shoot I would much rather play behind 6 that shot 100 and played in under 4 hours. But it appears that is ok at your course and you guys don't really hold anyone up there.

I will give you credit that playing as 6 and playing in that time is a good job. I personally would not want to be behind your group if it is going to take 4.5 hours, unless you finish directly behind the group that teed off in front of you, then there is no difference.

I like to play fast like the next guy, but I am not a jack rabbit. I don't need to fly around the track. As long as the group in front is keeping pace with the group in front of them and your group is keeping up with the group in front of you....what can you do? No need in getting all fired up, just enjoy the walk or ride. Sometimes it is easier said than done though.......

Driver: TM M4 Tour Issue
3W: Rogue
Hybrid: TEE
Irons: Callaway Apex Pro
54, 58 TM MG tour issue raw
Putter: PXG Gunboat H