2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Pure Ball Striker Training Aid....

logan91201

The final piece, so far, for me came weeks ago when Jeff (in response to a question on this thread) said he looks at the inside quadrant of the ball on the downswing as his hands move towards his aim point (left big toe). I was on vacation in a warm place in the country and immediately went out to try it on a challenging golf course. IT WORKED LIKE A CHARM.

You actually direct your hands towards your left big toe?  Wont that cause an outside to in swipe accross the hitting area?  How can you focus on the ball and "aim" your hands at the same time?  

Is it more of a "sensing" the hands being ahead of the clubhead?  

About the "inside quadrant" of the ball....I try not to bee so "ball focused" so I swing freely though the ball, instead of "at it".  I actually aim ahead of the ball to try and get my lowest swing point 4 inches ahead of the ball (like "Impact Zone" says).  If I aim at the back of the ball, I am more liable to hit it fat.

Wont that cause an outside to in swipe accross the hitting area? How can you focus on the ball and "aim" your hands at the same time?

That's what I thought months ago so I picked a spot ahead of the ball. But when I read about focusing your eyes on the inside quadrant of the ball, it made me think differently. I think looking at the inside quadrant discourages one from coming over the top. And yes, while looking at the inside quadrant, I am directing my hands towards where I think my left big toe is located.

I also think that using the left big toe as the aim point helps the hands go left at the right time (because of course, the hands are ahead of the clubhead by using lag) If the hands do not go left then a blocking motion ensues with the left arm disconnecting from the left side.

If I am leading Jack wrong in any of my explanations, I hope that Jeff or Logan will correct me. I only know that it is working for me

After practising a lot to monitor the PP#3 I have found a great WAY TO FEEL THE CLUBHEAD LAG PRESSURE easily in every shot. It´s a simple drill: just keep the right forefinger tip off the clubgrip during all the swing, and press your forefinger against the shaft. Keep the tip a bit separated in order to get your forefinger closer to the grip to feel the lag pressure enhanced. Give it a try an you will see !!!

If you keep the forefinger tip joined to the club it will brace the shaft but also will avoid your forefinger knuckle to rest firmly against the left side of the grip and you´ll never feel properly the lag pressure in that point.

After trying this drill for the last two weeks with great results I re-read the Hogan´s chapter about the grip...and what my surprise was when I read: "When you complete your grip, try to feel that the tips of the forefinger and thumb are HARDLY on the club ... ...feeling that the knuckle above the forefinger is pressing toward the thumb and toward the target".

Also look the picture I have found. Look his grip:

http://perfectgolfswingreview.net/Cover-HibbardDetails.jpg

That is very interesting to me because I noticed sometime ago that I do that almost automatically. I thought I was doing something wrong by not developing a firm pressure with my tip of my index finger around the shaft. I like you, found that I got more sensitivity by holding it looser with that finger. I am glad you brought it up.

After practising a lot to monitor the PP#3 I have found a great WAY TO FEEL THE CLUBHEAD LAG PRESSURE easily in every shot. It´s a simple drill: just keep the right forefinger tip off the clubgrip during all the swing, and press your forefinger against the shaft. Keep the tip a bit separated in order to get your forefinger closer to the grip to feel the lag pressure enhanced. Give it a try an you will see !!!

If you keep the forefinger tip joined to the club it will brace the shaft but also will avoid your forefinger knuckle to rest firmly against the left side of the grip and you´ll never feel properly the lag pressure in that point.

After trying this drill for the last two weeks with great results I re-read the Hogan´s chapter about the grip...and what my surprise was when I read: "When you complete your grip, try to feel that the tips of the forefinger and thumb are HARDLY on the club ... ...feeling that the knuckle above the forefinger is pressing toward the thumb and toward the target".

hanon,

I must say you can find some of the best info. out there.

Keep it coming!

That is very interesting to me because I noticed sometime ago that I do that almost automatically. I thought I was doing something wrong by not developing a firm pressure with my tip of my index finger around the shaft. I like you, found that I got more sensitivity by holding it looser with that finger. I am glad you brought it up.

Jim,

The pressure is in the pad of the index finger, right-on brother!

Here are my most recent pictures face on. The lag pressure is really easy to see in these pics. I was never able to get these pictures on a consistent basis before the PBS and feel obligated to use the pics as a testimonial. I've thanked you many times Jeff, but thanks again.

It is also fun that if I wanted to I know how to create a lot more lag and lean just by increasing the pressure I feel on the PBS. Maybe I'll tape that tomorrow and put them up to compare.

fo4.jpg

fo5.jpg

fo6.jpg

fo7.jpg

fo75.jpg

fo8.jpg

Logan,

Thanks for the pics of your motion it looks great!

I owe you big!

I have to say this is the greatest golf related invention ever. My chipping has improved so dramatically and I attribute that to the PBS. It's really unbelievable. I hit all of my chips last round with the PBS and holed out 2 and lipped out 2 others. About 3 others were put within 5 feet. I plan on ordering one more for myself incase I misplace mine, and possibly 6 more for my entire golf team. Thank you so much Jeff for this amazing invention.

hanon,

Keep it coming!

The initial clue to discover this little drill was inside the movie "Dead Solid Perfect". Almost at the end of the movie there are some images of the movie-star doing some golf swings during a match. There you can also find this detail about the forefinger tip: he always maintains his right forefinger tip off the grip. Enjoy the movie!!

It´s a simple drill: just keep the right forefinger tip off the clubgrip during all the swing, and press your forefinger against the shaft. Keep the tip a bit separated in order to get your forefinger closer to the grip to feel the lag pressure enhanced. Give it a try an you will see !!!

can you post a picture of how you have your right index finger?  Is this with or without the PBS?

thanks

hanon,

Keep it coming!

The initial clue to discover this little drill was inside the movie "Dead Solid Perfect". Almost at the end of the movie there are some images of the movie-star doing some golf swings during a match. There you can also find this detail about the forefinger tip: he always maintains his right forefinger tip off the grip. Enjoy the movie!!

I have that movie and remember that point you are referring. "Dead Solid Perfect" must be more than 25 years old! Dead solid perfect just one time!

It´s a simple drill: just keep the right forefinger tip off the clubgrip during all the swing, and press your forefinger against the shaft. Keep the tip a bit separated in order to get your forefinger closer to the grip to feel the lag pressure enhanced. Give it a try an you will see !!!

can you post a picture of how you have your right index finger? Is this with or without the PBS?

thanks

To enhance the clubhead lag pressure: The right forefinger tip is separated from the grip. The forefinger is slid down slightly and is pressing against the shaft.

Try it for 5 or 10 shots and you´ll be amazed the great awareness of the clubhead lag pressure you will have.

Jeff,

I think I have had a bit of an epiphany. It has seemed like it should be a little easier to keep that left wrist flat through impact during basic motion than it has... I could do it, but really felt forced.

I found there was a little bit of reverse roll going on through the line of compression, maybe even a little steering.

I put on the PBS, used a little #3 to make sure there was a little angled hinging through impact. Voila, solid as a rock, with even a little insurance with VERY little effort. I'm pumped!

Does this even make sense? Please say yes even if you have to lie a little... :lol:

Thanks Jeff,

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Jeff,

I think I have had a bit of an epiphany. It has seemed like it should be a little easier to keep that left wrist flat through impact during basic motion than it has... I could do it, but really felt forced.

I found there was a little bit of reverse roll going on through the line of compression, maybe even a little steering.

I put on the PBS, used a little #3 to make sure there was a little angled hinging through impact. Voila, solid as a rock, with even a little insurance with VERY little effort. I'm pumped!

Does this even make sense? Please say yes even if you have to lie a little... :lol:

Thanks Jeff,

Kevin

Kevin,

Yes, as you know the #3 Pressure Point senses not only the clubhead lag pressure but also it monitors the turning and rolling of the #3 Power Accumulator and clubface control.

The beauty of #3 Pressure Point is it also monitor all hinge actions and motions.

If the player fails to monitor their hands correctly they risk the chance of steering and clubhead throw-a-way and will lose power and accuracy.

The Pure Ball Striker is a great device for sensing the players stroke.

can you post a picture of how you have your right index finger? Is this with or without the PBS?

thanks

To enhance the clubhead lag pressure: The right forefinger tip is separated from the grip. The forefinger is slid down slightly and is pressing against the shaft.

Try it for 5 or 10 shots and you´ll be amazed the great awareness of the clubhead lag pressure you will have.

Here is Mr. Hogan http://

The 32 Ball Drill maybe a better choice and can be found here below!

32 Ball Drill

The best drill to be used with the Pure Ball Striker is called the 32-Ball Drill. This 32-Ball Drill will help the player take their game from a skill level to the habit level of learning.

Here is the 32-Ball Drill for the Pure Ball Striker

Choose a club and a stroke for example a 9 iron and a chipping motion

4 repetitions with the Pure Ball Striker and 4 repetitions without the Pure Ball Striker for a total of 32 Balls

Set #1) 4 Balls with the Pure Ball Striker in place sensing/feeling your clubhead lag pressure

Set #2) 4 Balls without the Pure Ball Striker recreating the sense/feel of your clubhead lag pressure

Set #3) 4 Balls with the Pure Ball Striker in place sensing/feeling your clubhead lag pressure

Set #4) 4 Balls without the Pure Ball Striker recreating the sense/feel of your clubhead lag pressure

Set #5) 4 Balls with the Pure Ball Striker in place sensing/feeling your clubhead lag pressure

Set #6) 4 Balls without the Pure Ball Striker recreating the sense/feel of your clubhead lag pressure

Set #7) 4 Balls with the Pure Ball Striker in place sensing/feeling your clubhead lag pressure

Set #8) 4 Balls without the Pure Ball Striker recreating the sense/feel of your clubhead lag pressure

Now you are done.

Choose another club and stroke for example a sand-wedge and a 50 yard pitch and repeat the 32-Ball Drill

This drill will help build your game taking it towards your habit level and automatic golf.

Jeff,

I bought two of these, one for me and another for my father in law. I have been using it in the mirror for about a week which gives me great awareness of my right hand and finger. It really has helped me not jerking the club back beginning the downswing.

I tried it on the range yesterday and although my backswing has improved my ball was fading consistently. I have always played a draw and can't seem to turn the ball over. Maybe I have played all these years flipping my hands. I am a 2 handicap and practice at least once per week. What drills should I do with the PBS to get the correct ball flight?

Sincerely,

Sean

Jeff,

I bought two of these, one for me and another for my father in law. I have been using it in the mirror for about a week which gives me great awareness of my right hand and finger. It really has helped me not jerking the club back beginning the downswing.

I tried it on the range yesterday and although my backswing has improved my ball was fading consistently. I have always played a draw and can't seem to turn the ball over. Maybe I have played all these years flipping my hands. I am a 2 handicap and practice at least once per week. What drills should I do with the PBS to get the correct ball flight?

Sincerely,

Sean

Sean,

What is your desired ball flight?

Always start off with a shorter motion like chipping.

The Pure Ball Striker allows the player to sense their clubhead lagging and once you gain the feel of the lagging clubhead monitor the direction of the hands.

I will wait to here back from you on your ball flight.

jeff,

this might be a silly question, but are there any players that feel pp #3 somewhere other than the index finger? i noticed tiger uses tape on his middle finger and i was wondering if it was even possible pp #3 could be felt there.

Ping G400 Max 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
Ping G400 3 crossover Alta stiff
Callaway Apex 4-SW recoil 780 stiff
Cleveland cbx 60* recoil stiff
Biomech Acculock
Snell MTB Black

jeff,

this might be a silly question, but are there any players that feel pp #3 somewhere other than the index finger? i noticed tiger uses tape on his middle finger and i was wondering if it was even possible pp #3 could be felt there.

I just ordered my PBS and I am looking forward to using it, but I have a question along these lines, too. Lets say I love the PBS and hit the ball great with it. You obviously can't use it on the course (if I want to count the round towards my cap anyway), but what if I just wrapped a bunch of tape around my index finger? That would be legal... hmmmm. :yes:

I just ordered my PBS and I am looking forward to using it, but I have a question along these lines, too. Lets say I love the PBS and hit the ball great with it. You obviously can't use it on the course (if I want to count the round towards my cap anyway), but what if I just wrapped a bunch of tape around my index finger? That would be legal... hmmmm. :yes:

14-3/8 Adhesive Tape

Q. May a player wear adhesive tape on his hands or apply such tape to a golf glove?

A. The use of adhesive tape, or similar coverings of the hand, for any medical reasons, e.g., to reduce blisters or to eliminate the possibility of skin splits between the fingers, is not contrary to the Rules.

However, the application of tape to the hand or the construction of a similar covering must not be excessive (i.e., must not otherwise assist the player in gripping and its thickness must be comparable to that of a standard golf glove). Also, applying tape to a golf glove to prevent the glove from slipping or to reduce wear is not a breach of Rule 14-3.

However, if the tape is used solely to aid the player in gripping the club (e.g., it is used to bind two fingers together), the player is in breach of Rule 14-3 as such use of tape is the use of equipment in an unusual manner. (Revised)

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

I know i am slow but lightbulb finally came on today. Funny thing is i found it because I am really sore from starting a new work out and I am really tight. so I went to range and hit some really short shots at first to get loose. while doing this I used the PBS and kept the pressure constant through the swing which is alot easier to do when swinging slow and short. I began to hit some very crisp shots that continued to fly further and further. I worked my way through the bag all the way to 4 iron. I continued to swing ( what felt very slow and controlled ) and maintain pressure with the PBS. I wish I would have had video because the ball was absolutely exploding off the club face and swing speed felt like it was in the 60's. I can only imagine this was caused by the constant lag pressure which was whipping the clubhead down through hitting area.

still in amazment how far ball was carrying with such little effort. allowed me to keep control and balance of club all the way through. funny thing is I did not have to consentrate on pivot or anything else. by keeping the pressure constant and steady my body naturally shifted back and through naturally. the older gentleman next to me stopped what he was doing and asked me how I was hitting the ball so far with such a SOFT swing. I lied to him and told him with years of practice. the only reason I did not tell him the truth is everytime I see him at the club he is acting like a ***** to all the staff and others around him.

Thanks jeff for thinking out of the box and inventing something simple and cheap to use. what I was doing today some have paid millions for. i have been to several top instructors who have tried to create that same feel for me in words. i never understood because they did not have a way for me to FEEL what they were saying.

FEEL is worth a million words.

thanks for the pic! Here's my next question...why not just make this your grip all the time?  For your normal grip, do you leave the finger where it is and just curl it around?  Isn't this similar to the "pistol drill" where you leave the index finger and the thumb off the grip in a "pistoL" position?

Received my PBS this week and made some swings with a 5 iron and some Almost Golf practice balls. What it seems to do for me is keep me from applying TOO much pressure with my right forefinger. I have a tendency to hook my longer irons. Once I made some swings with the PBS on the club, then took it off and made more swings, I did not hook a single shot. I wasn't applying as much pressure as I tended to do in the past. Does this make sense? Even if it doesn't, I hope it continues to work.

Jeff,

I've used it a lot around the green chipping and pitching which is great. But, these shots don't really require releasing the club.

My desired ball flight is a 3-5 yard draw. When hitting shots with PBS I find it difficult to release the club properly. I usually have pretty good lag on the downswing.

Sean

Just wanted to say how great them pics are of loagsn swing you can actually see where his center of gravity is and where his low point is going to be even before he gets there. gorgeous action logan.

My key words for this month are

Center of gravity

aiming point.

Lag pressure.

and for my driver float loading

oh just a side point if anyones tried float loading , it seems pretty hard to time it right unless you have the pbs that makes it so much easier