2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Low-flight Iron

Dsk321

Lookin for player cavity/ blade
I currently play Titleist 704's and feel my ball flight may be too high. 1st question would be; is this just swing or does the club design have a little bit to do with it? I know higher speed and better contact raise flight, but I'm thinking my irons contriubute to the massive height of my 7 iron. If it is infact partially attributed to the iron, then im looking for a step up from 704's (imo feel too harsh and are somewhat "bulky".) Top choices (from what i know) for low flight irons below, but any suggestions would help. also a d3 stock swingweight would be nice (lead tape on my 704's are annoying) considering I extend irons an inch. im assuming the weight is d4? I know b-stone and mac are d3 stock, i assume anything d2 stock would need weight plugs or lead tape...

1: 695's (heard in a thread they are low flight?)
2. B-stone CB's (i know they are lower than the combos)
3. Macgregor m675 (supposedly forgiving and blade design, does that mean lower flight?)
4. nike Pro Combo Tours (dont know about flight),
5. an mp60-mp32 combo (I may be wrong but does cut muscle raise ball flight thanks to lower cg? perhaps still lower then the 704's)

Sorry if this post is ridiculously long and unnecesarily complex, but feedback would be great.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've hit the 704's and my boss has them and we both hit them higher than any other club. After speaking with my Titleist rep he said that for those people who are high spin, high flight players and want to bring their ball flight down, the 695cbs are the way to go. They are delofted by 2*, so the pitching wedge is 46* and not the traditional 48*. I have not heard much about the other clubs but hope this helps.

One of my regular group purchased 704's right after they came out. He loves them, but "Wow" does he hit them high! Just a few notes. The 690mb's and .mb's both hit the ball quite high. Titleist brought out the 670 to keep the ball down. Find a set of 670's and they have a much higher COG.

The MP33's hit the ball extremely high. Likewise, Miz brought out the MP37's to keep the ball down. The 37's have a quite small sweet spot and are a little tough to hit. The 32's have a trajectory between the 33's and the 37's. I have the 32's in my bag and don't hit them nearly as high as I did the 33's or the Titleist 690mb's. Haven't played the 704's, so can't tell you how the 32's would compare. Just know I have no problem keeping them down.

You've got a little bit of a tough challenge. Most folks playing the game try to get the ball elevated. Don't seem many, today, wanting a lower trajectory. The modern blades have a low COG and make it quite easy to get the ball in the air. Most generally, you will keep the ball down a little more with a blade design due to the heavier flange weighting of cavity backs. The 704's don't appear that heavily flange weighted, but they sure do elevate the ball.

The ones I would look for... and make every attempt to demo... would be the Titleist 680, Miz MP32, and the Ping S59. I really think you could keep any of these down... with the correct shaft... much more so than the 704's.

Okay, now don't blame me when you start complaining you can't get the ball in the air... LOL

Ping S59 Tours hit the ball with a very low flight.

Cobra LTD X LS 9.0 Fuji Atmos Black 6S

Cobra King LTD 14.5 Rogue Black 70S

Callaway Big Bertha II 5 wood RCH Firm

Taylormade 3 iron UDI Kuro Kage Black

Mizuno 921HM 5-GW 950GH Neo

Mizuno 923HM SW 

Mizuno 900HM Lw KBS C Taper Lite S

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport Two

hehe tnx for info,,,, s59's are only low cause Ping loves feeding people's ego's (deloft). JK they are nice ive hit them. Problem is my ball flight is soo high that when i try to hit the "burner/punch/low ball" whatever it flies too high and still eats it in the wind. I found this is the case essentially with cavity backs or any sort of perimeter weighting. I think a "true" blade might be a little much. I'd say macgregor m675, pings59, mp-32's are probably the best candidates. Best balance (at least for me I'm assuming) of ball-flight and moderate forgiveness in a near-blade design. I'm imagining can an OEM increase swingweight themselves when they install the shafts? I know for a fact (I think LOL) everything except the Mac's are d2 stock, and I prefer weight d3 and above. So question is: can an OEM place weight plugs in the head so that, hypothetically, I dont need to put lead on brand new 32's??? If not i might as well go Macgregor blades since they are supposedly the most forgiving full blade design...

hehe tnx for info,,,, s59's are only low cause Ping loves feeding people's ego's (deloft). JK they are nice ive hit them. Problem is my ball flight is soo high that when i try to hit the "burner/punch/low ball" whatever it flies too high and still eats it in the wind. I found this is the case essentially with cavity backs or any sort of perimeter weighting. I think a "true" blade might be a little much. I'd say macgregor m675, pings59, mp-32's are probably the best candidates. Best balance (at least for me I'm assuming) of ball-flight and moderate forgiveness in a near-blade design. I'm imagining can an OEM increase swingweight themselves when they install the shafts? I know for a fact (I think LOL) everything except the Mac's are d2 stock, and I prefer weight d3 and above. So question is: can an OEM place weight plugs in the head so that, hypothetically, I dont need to put lead on brand new 32's??? If not i might as well go Macgregor blades since they are supposedly the most forgiving full blade design...

I'd recommend demo'ing the MP32's before deciding they're for you. I hit the ball relatively hith (not towering, but a little higher than average), and I hit the MP32's WAAAAY up there, even with DGS300 shafts. If you have a problem hitting the ball too high, I'm not sure those are for you.

I'd second the recommendation of the S59's. The ballflight was much much better for me with these irons. And the standard s59's are not strongly lofted at all (they are fairly std, with some clubs a little weaker than std).

Finally, don't worry about the swingweight - most companies (including Ping and Mizuno) can get you a set of D3 or D4 no problem.