2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

chickenpotpie's WITB

I seriously didn't think my bag would end up this way, but I like
All new bag for 2009 now, with one exception, which is the 63 degree Scratch wedge (I think I accidentally deleted its picture, I'll re-upload it at some point).

I'm back to the R7 Limited driver, shafted up with a Talamonti PD-70S, tipped 1.25". I am hitting some of the best bombs I've ever hit with this thing. At a recent Ping demo day, the Ping rep actually commented that it is producing some of the best numbers he's seen. Of course, his Rapture V2 with Blueboard was slightly better, so guess what's coming next...

I've also discovered the TEE CB2 fairway woods. After going to a clubfitting in Orlando last month, I discovered that I am a much better wood player than a hybrid player. He recommended I go driver/3-wood/5-wood/4-iron at the top of my bag, so that's exactly what I did. I love these fairway woods...I typically hit them 250 and 220 yards, respectively. The best part is that I can just take a natural swing at them, and they just have a very classic look. I guess I got sick of the square heads in the Nike Sumo2 line! As a backup, I also have a TEE CB2 4-wood/Scratch 21 degree hybrid combo that I could hit. Just depends on the conditions.

Next I have a set of Mizuno MX-200's. You may recall that I had a set of Scratch EZ-1's. I still do, but I am in the process of reshafting them. Probably won't get to that until winter. In any case, I love the Mizunos, as they feel GREAT on solid shots, and you don't get penalized all that much on toe hits (my common miss). I'm still torn about whether to remove the stickers. I'm thinking I might on some rainy day in the future. I went with the gap wedge and sand wedge in this set because the lofts match up better than my Scratch wedges and I like the idea of the wedges matching the set. Also, with the loft set up I have now, I have a 90 yard and a 105 yard club that are my go-to clubs on approaches (these seem to be common yardages for me). My Scratch yardages were a little off on these targets, and it always seemed like I needed to hit a 3/4 this or an easy that. Maybe the new shafts will help with that, not sure. At some point, there will be a showdown between the sets, and I'll be sure to post the review.

Next is my 63 degree Scratch TD wedge in cobalt black finish, SFU grind. Great club...the ball hits the green and stops dead in its tracks. I have to be careful with this one though, because I tend to want to use it when I shouldn't. In case you are wondering, the finish is gone on the sole, and I can clearly see on the face where I am making contact.

Finally, I have a 32.5" Itsy Bitsy Spider, with lime green Iomic grip. Great putter. I used to have the full size, and hated how small this thing was. After messing with it for awhile, then buying it, and then using it, I cannot go back to the big Spider!

The bag is a Nike Tour Sasquatch in yellow and blue (I love U of M, by the way), and I decked out the woods in Rocket Tours. Golf Pride New Decades on everything.

Woods

Mizunos

Itsy Bitsy

Bag without covers

Bag with covers

Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SCRATCH! Nice! Have you hit them? Or are you plagued by mythical white powder?

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max TD 9° shaft???

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 3w Ventus Red 7

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 7w Ventus Red 7 

Srixon UX 4 23° Ventus Blue 8

Ping i230 5-U Dynamic Gold 105

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.10 (55°) and 60.08 Nippon Modus 105

Scotty Cameron 2024 Phantom 5.5

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update....

The Sumo hybrid is gone, and I've finally figured out which ones are going in the bag. I settled on the Scratch hybrids (21 and 24 degree), because they seem to mesh well with the irons in my bag, and most of all, THEY DON'T GO LEFT BY DEFAULT!!!! I've also added an Adams A4 driver, which I'm planning to use in tandem with my R7 Limited, depending on course conditions. Hard fairways, where roll is needed (league golf), and I'll use the Adams. Softer fairways, need more carry and some roll, I'll go R7. Still deciding whether to keep the stock Matrix in the Adams A4 though. My last two wedges (53 and 58 SND and 21 hybrid) should arrive this week, so I'll post pictures of everything that's new next weekend hopefully. I think my 53 and 58 were some of the last heads ground before the shop in Eugene was packed up.

As for the EZ-1 irons, these things hit nice. They seem like they fly a bit higher than my old G10's, probably due to the weaker lofts and difference in shafts. However, they seem like they go every bit as far, maybe farther. This is probaby due to the fact that these are about 0.5-0.75 inches longer than the equivalent G10 club (I wanted heavier SW). I also went a little more upright with these, and they have a much more neutral bias than my G10's which were fade-biased. So far, I'm very happy, but I haven't been able to take them onto a course yet!!!

I have been able to hit some wedges in my yard, using the Dave Pelz almost golf balls (I think my neighbors think I'm crazy....I actually made one car slow down and stop before driving by my house), and have noticed that the grind on the SFU does exactly what its supposed to. It gets through the ball and takes a divot, but not so much that the club stops in the ground. I ran the same experiment last year with some Cleveland wedges and could only hit about 3-4 out of 10 shots good. I'm up around 8 or 9 out of 10 now, and most of the errant ones are because I have some swing thought going through my head, like "don't hit my kid on my follow through" or "don't hit the sidewalk on my downstroke", etc.

OK, that wasn't that quick. Sorry.

Great stuff. How do you like the i110? I am thinking about swapping my 95 to get a little more weight, but I hit it so well as is. Keep us posted on them when it gets warm up there.

ever thought of jumpin to stiff shafts. getting close if not there at 100 mph SS

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Attas-T2 9x

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

Great stuff. How do you like the i110? I am thinking about swapping my 95 to get a little more weight, but I hit it so well as is. Keep us posted on them when it gets warm up there.

So far, I like them. They are stiff like steel, but have the feel of graphite. I took a bit of a risk with them, but I haven't been disappointed.

ever thought of jumpin to stiff shafts. getting close if not there at 100 mph SS

Yeah, I actually used to play stiff, but I'm not convinced it helped me much. I don't really get after the ball so regular seems to work. In the case of the driver, it feels like I can feel the club better with regular flex, higher torque shafts.

• 1 month later...
You've gotta update this thing to match your sig!

Great sticks...I'm thinking of a a4 with a talamonti how is it?

Thanks! I'm lazy though. Two of the clubs in there aren't even in the bag anymore....I still have the R7 Limited and will keep it as a backup because its solid. The Nike hybrid is long gone to the frozen north. I'll be posting more pics shortly with the new bag.

The Talamonti is a good shaft. I feel like I can go after it without worrying about it going left. Very stable, predictable. Good feel through impact, and I can feel myself loading the shaft. I went up to a stiff, and have been happy with the transition so far.

Man, those EZ-1 looks sick! Really solid setup. :rolleyes:

Thanks! :partytime2:

Question? I recently purchased an R7 Limited with everything stock in it. I noticed in the section about your driver you say it has 12-4-4 weighting. Now my question is did yours come with those weights or did you take them from other Taylormade clubs you have had because my stock weights are 1-16-1?

I bought more weights. I actually took the two 4 gram weights from my Spider, and took a 12 gram weight from a set I bought on the BST.

• 1 month later...
Lastly, there's the TM spider, which is the best putter I've ever played. I have a straight back, straight through stroke, and this thing rocks it beautifully. I made it heavier by going 12 and 12 on the weight ports. I'm totally sold on the AGSI+ insert, as it really puts a nice roll on the ball and just has a nice feel. (no pics other than the whole bag, sorry)

It's a great putter, is doing the job bloody well for me. Hard to go past the AGSI+ insert.

Nice bag!

:)

awesome bag. Hows the wear on the scratch wedges? I am strongly considering picking up a 63* from Scratch

The finish is pretty much gone on the soles of my antique and black wedges. The satin nickel wedge has held up well, though while in Florida this past week, I noticed a few small rust spots on the face where some of the plating wore off.

Out of the 3 wedges, my favorite is definitely the 63 in terms of both looks and performance. I had my best round ever today (75), with thanks to that club. It left me with at least 6 or 7 1-putts.

A little embarrassed to admit this, but there's a few more changes coming to the bag. I had a fitting (everything but driver or putter), and found out a couple key things:

1) my shaft flexes are generally too low for my SS and tempo, whichbwas a surprise to me. My 6-iron speed is about 88...I always thought I was slower.

2) my shaft flexes are all over the place within my set. The driver would be about 7.0, while my 4-wood is only 2.0, hybrid is 4.0 and Scratch irons are about the same (4.0).

3) my new MX-200s are stiffer (5.0), which partly explains why I hit them better.

4) apparently, I'm a better wood player than hybrid player and my fitter recommended I go back to driver/3 wood/5 wood/4 iron. (as an aside, now that my hybrid was put on notice, I hit it GREAT today)

5) I need 6.0 flexes in my irons and woods.

6) shorten the driver to 44.75 max.

7) confirmed my length needs to be 3/4 long and lie needs to be 2 up from Mizuno standard (62 degree 6 iron)

(my fitter referred everything back to a royal precision flex number...in general, I need stiffer shafts).

So with all that said, he's reshafting my Mizunos with Rifle 6.0's, and a TEE CB2 5-wood is on the way as well. Also just snagged an R9 TP 3-wood off the BST. Lastly, I decided to pull the Talamonti out of my A4 and put it into an R7 Limited at 44.75". I added weight to the head to get the SW back up to D6-D7. Great combo, and most importantly, straight with no loss of distance!

Will add new pics once everything gets here next week.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow. Nothing is the same in here. You HO. Get some new pics up!

Wow. Nothing is the same in here. You HO. Get some new pics up!

No doubt. The club with the most seniority is my 63 degree wedge. Everything else has turned over, except for the R7 Limited driver, which is seeing it's second go-round. This will change again when I get my new 3-wood and V2 driver. Then I'm set....until I'm not! I'll take new pics soon.

This will change again when I get my new 3-wood and V2 driver. Then I'm set....until I'm not! I'll take new pics soon.

How did the R9 work out for you btw? I thought it was a nice feeling head but the shaft was def not for me.

Overall, it was a nice club (head and shaft), but I couldn't get it to play nice with my 5-wood (TEE CB2). The two clubs set up completely different, and I just couldn't get my head around them looking different at setup. On top of that, I could actually hit the TEE 5-wood almost as far as the R9 3-wood. I ended up selling the R9 head recently, but I kept the shaft. I'm going to use it in a TEE CB2 3-wood I have coming.