2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

PING irons to replace Callaway X-14's

parkinni

I've finally decided to put my 10 month old X-14 3-PW up for sale (Golfwrx or eBay?), and probably move back to a set of PINGs (although the TaylorMade LT2 did look good when I was in the store lately).

I sold my ISI's to get the Callaways, and have never been truly comfortable with them. I've noticed that since the ISI came out, there have been a glut of new iron models released by PING: i3, i3+, G2, G5, and i5. From the PING devotees here, is it worth my while to lay out the extra dosh and plump for one of the new 5 series irons, or are the differences so subtle that I can get what I want from one of the older models and save a buck or two (hundred)?

My ISI's were Green dot, +¾", JZ-R Cushin shaft. My local golf store has a used set of G2's in Green dot, D-2 swingweight with +½" CS Lite (Cushin) Stiff flex shaft. Will the CS Lite Stiff play too stiff for someone used to the JZ-R flex? (I guess I need to borrow them and find out, huh?). My SS with the driver is currently 88-92 mph.

Also, how good is the i3+ iron? I don't see or hear a lot about this model, but it looks to be close in size, looks and offset to the new i5. Any love for this PING? BTW, I've ruled out the i3 as an option as I've hit my buddy's set and they don't do a thing for me.

Fyi, I'm a 14 h'cap with a tendency to draw the ball. All feedback/help is appreciated.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I absolutely love my i5's, it's the best iron I have ever played. They are so consistent. Before those I played eye2, zing, and g2. I did not care for the g2, too much bounce & clunky looking. The i5 is thinner, and has players iron characteristics with damn near game improvement forgiveness. If you are drawing the ball too much you may want to drop down to a blue or black dot lie angle. I was orginally fitted for green dot but went back to black after watching ball flight. As far as shaft, I play CS Lite R cushin & they are great. Have not overpowered them once. Good Luck

Callaway Great Big Bertha  9*  Kai Li White
Callaway Paradym Smoke  15*  Kai Li Blue

Callaway Paradym  20*  Kai Li Red

Ping G425  22*  Alta CB
Ping G425  26*  Alta CB

Ping G425  30*  Alta CB
Callaway Big Bertha 7 - AW  TT Elevate 

Ping Glide 54*
Odyssey Tank Marxman
Callaway ERC Soft Yellow

I would recommend i5's (plus 3/4") in green dot with the CS Lite regular. The i5's are going to look and feel better (heat treated) than the G2's. Also, with the new feel I would not waste my money on the Cushin insert. Even my local Ping rep said it's unnecessary in the i5's. IMHO, go ahead and spend the extra money and get the latest technology. Ping's hold their value better than other irons and the finish is extremely durable. This is a set of irons that will last you for a number of years. Hope this helps !

TaylorMade M2 (9.5*)
Exotics CB5 (15*)
TM Rescue TP (19*)
Mizuno JPX 850 Forged (4-GW)
PING Anser Forged (54*,58*)
PING Vintage Pal 2 (35")

I5 irons possibly the best PING's yet. Check out the z-z65 shaft. It was developed by PING and they had True Temper manufacture it. It is a nice shaft, very similar to the TT Dyn. Gold SL. As far as the cushin insert, PING rep. I talked to said it helps filter unwanted vibrations while not sacrificing feel. May help save the old joints.

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Driver: Yonex Ezone 380 9*
Fairway: Tour Edge cb5 15*
Hybrid: Tour Edge cb5 19*
Irons: Hogan Ft Worth (15) 21*, 25*, 29*, 33*, 37*, 41*, 45*
Wedges: Hogan TK 49*, 53*, 57*
Putter: 2007 Odyssey Black #1
Bag: PING Hoofer[/font]

I agree on the Cushin insert. I cannot tell the difference in feel at all. My g2's did not have it but my i5's do. I didn't even order it. When I ordered my set they showed up with Cushins. I called PING & they said that my retailer spec'd cushin even though they did not charge me for it ($10 per club I think?). Anyway the cushin isn't needed in this great feeling iron, totally agree. The flex is R & I have had no problem with them. I ordered R because my g2's were CS lite S & they felt REALLY stiff. Driver SS = 98. i5's rule, period.

Callaway Great Big Bertha  9*  Kai Li White
Callaway Paradym Smoke  15*  Kai Li Blue

Callaway Paradym  20*  Kai Li Red

Ping G425  22*  Alta CB
Ping G425  26*  Alta CB

Ping G425  30*  Alta CB
Callaway Big Bertha 7 - AW  TT Elevate 

Ping Glide 54*
Odyssey Tank Marxman
Callaway ERC Soft Yellow

OK. I managed to get hold of the G2’s this lunchtime and hit 2 baskets worth at one of the local ranges. Conditions on the tee are always VERY soft (they water the snot out of the grass), and it was sunny with a brisk 10-15 mph cross wind. Overall temp. was pushing 60°F.

I warmed up with the 6-iron in my X-14’s, and carried a bunch out to the 150 yd. marker: usual distance for me. Contact was OK…the usual clicky, kinda thin feel.

Switched over to the G2 6-iron and hit one high, straight shot after another. I was losing 5-10 yards compared to the X-14, but I think that was down to the stiff flex shaft in the PINGs. I was surprised though that they didn’t feel stiffer…just lacking in that final ‘kick’ through impact that makes me think I’d probably struggle a tad too much with them on my ‘off’ days.

Can’t complain about the directional control at all! It was really interesting just how straight 95% of my shots were, and I didn’t have to look up to know it. The ones that did go left were all due to me dropping my right shoulder and hanging on to the shot (my chronic fault…..aaaaarrrgghhh!).

Another positive about the G2’s was the feel. MUCH softer than the Callaways – it reminded me a lot of my old ISI’s, only better. I personally feel that it’s a result of the way PING heat treats the heads of their irons, although the Cushin insert also plays its part, I’m sure.

As far as looks go, yes, the G2 is a bit of a shovel, but it wasn’t offensive to my eye at all. When a club flat out performs, the looks really become secondary, IMO.

I also tried the 4-, 8-irons and PW. Full swings with the shorter clubs produced the same high and straight shots as with the 6-iron, only less distance. My shots with the 4-iron were the most inconsistent, and I couldn’t really get a feel for the shaft flexing in this club. No problem…..that’s why I carry Rescues!

Chipping, ½ and ¾ shots with the PW went very well. Good distance control and direction, but then again this was from a pretty thick/lush lie. One thing that I didn’t get to do was to hit these irons off any kind of hardpan, or tight lie. As some have said, the bounce on this club can hinder more than help under those conditions.

Overall, I was VERY IMPRESSED with the G2 irons. The Green dot/D-2 swingweight/+½” combo seemed to work very well for me. Probably need the R-flex shaft though. Funny thing about it all, is that there’s definitely a good ‘karma’ with PING irons and me (the woods are a completely different kettle of fish!). I think it’s the feel, forgiveness, history, and just playing good golf with them that seems to make the game a little bit easier when I’m holding a PING iron.

In the end, I didn’t mind the offset in the G2’s at all, and they have the most of any since the i3. Now that I’ve got the PING ‘bug’, I need to get fitted again (static and outdoor) and see how I like the newer G5/i5 models. I’m off to contact PING to find the best fitter in my area, and to post my X-14’s for sale.

Thanks for everyones help on this topic. Please keep adding to it if you have something to say.

OK. I managed to get hold of the G2’s this lunchtime and hit 2 baskets worth at one of the local ranges. Conditions on the tee are always VERY soft (they water the snot out of the grass), and it was sunny with a brisk 10-15 mph cross wind. Overall temp. was pushing 60°F.

I warmed up with the 6-iron in my X-14’s, and carried a bunch out to the 150 yd. marker: usual distance for me. Contact was OK…the usual clicky, kinda thin feel.

Switched over to the G2 6-iron and hit one high, straight shot after another. I was losing 5-10 yards compared to the X-14, but I think that was down to the stiff flex shaft in the PINGs. I was surprised though that they didn’t feel stiffer…just lacking in that final ‘kick’ through impact that makes me think I’d probably struggle a tad too much with them on my ‘off’ days.

Can’t complain about the directional control at all! It was really interesting just how straight 95% of my shots were, and I didn’t have to look up to know it. The ones that did go left were all due to me dropping my right shoulder and hanging on to the shot (my chronic fault…..aaaaarrrgghhh!).

Another positive about the G2’s was the feel. MUCH softer than the Callaways – it reminded me a lot of my old ISI’s, only better. I personally feel that it’s a result of the way PING heat treats the heads of their irons, although the Cushin insert also plays its part, I’m sure.

As far as looks go, yes, the G2 is a bit of a shovel, but it wasn’t offensive to my eye at all. When a club flat out performs, the looks really become secondary, IMO.

I also tried the 4-, 8-irons and PW. Full swings with the shorter clubs produced the same high and straight shots as with the 6-iron, only less distance. My shots with the 4-iron were the most inconsistent, and I couldn’t really get a feel for the shaft flexing in this club. No problem…..that’s why I carry Rescues!

Chipping, ½ and ¾ shots with the PW went very well. Good distance control and direction, but then again this was from a pretty thick/lush lie. One thing that I didn’t get to do was to hit these irons off any kind of hardpan, or tight lie. As some have said, the bounce on this club can hinder more than help under those conditions.

Overall, I was VERY IMPRESSED with the G2 irons. The Green dot/D-2 swingweight/+½” combo seemed to work very well for me. Probably need the R-flex shaft though. Funny thing about it all, is that there’s definitely a good ‘karma’ with PING irons and me (the woods are a completely different kettle of fish!). I think it’s the feel, forgiveness, history, and just playing good golf with them that seems to make the game a little bit easier when I’m holding a PING iron.

In the end, I didn’t mind the offset in the G2’s at all, and they have the most of any since the i3. Now that I’ve got the PING ‘bug’, I need to get fitted again (static and outdoor) and see how I like the newer G5/i5 models. I’m off to contact PING to find the best fitter in my area, and to post my X-14’s for sale.

Thanks for everyones help on this topic. Please keep adding to it if you have something to say.

i ordered the g5's in the 4,5,6 iron and the i5's in the 7-lw.i played eye2 for years and the shafts were too shiff for me now.the new irons have cs lite regular +1/2".i only played several rounds with them,but they feel and play so much better than the eye2's.longer,staighter and the wedges are just as great as the eye2's.hope this helps.

I've had every ping iron under the sun and if your average ie:5'9-5'11 most clubs will fit anybody.maybe a little tweaking but I love my Rac lt2's and they are similar to ping's black dot.now I heard that different industry standards could be different.taylors=upright or titleist=flat.you be the judge.

Haven't played in over 2 years.
Still dealing with bladder cancer.I'm in the hands of the VA now.

I've had every ping iron under the sun and if your average ie:5'9-5'11 most clubs will fit anybody.maybe a little tweaking but I love my Rac lt2's and they are similar to ping's black dot.now I heard that different industry standards could be different.taylors=upright or titleist=flat.you be the judge.
I'm 6"2" and went through the PING outdoor fitting in '98 at a golf course near Pumpkin Ridge in Portland, Oregon. After about 90 minutes of static fitting, hitting balls off the lie board, and actual shots on the range, I fit best into a Green dot ISI, +3/4", JZ-R steel shaft with Gold (+1/32") grip. I now need to find someone local to go through the same process again and see if the same specs still suit me.

I did a Fitter/Retailer search on the PING website, and the only one within 50 miles of me to have an iron fitting cart and outdoor fitting facilities was Sunset Country Club in Sumter, SC. Has anyone here had a PING fitting at this club? If so, can you recommend it?

Also, can anyone recommend a PING outdoor fitter in the Columbia or Myrtle Beach, SC areas?

Finally, it didn't cost me anything for my original fitting: is that still the case with other PING clubfitters?

I'm a huge fan of Cally, but I also like to try all sorts of other clubs. I've tried the i5s and there is no doubt that if I were going to a club other than the Callys it would be the i5. Great feeling club that really performed.

That said, let me offer another alternative. Try reshafting your Callys. If you are using the uniflex shaft, you will notice a world of difference by going to DGs or Rifles. I have a couple of sets with DG Sensicore and the feel between them and the uniflex is night and day. They have a much softer feel and that clicky sound and feel is not there. To me, the i5s felt very much like my Callys with the DG sensicore shafts.

I'm a huge fan of Cally, but I also like to try all sorts of other clubs. I've tried the i5s and there is no doubt that if I were going to a club other than the Callys it would be the i5. Great feeling club that really performed.

That said, let me offer another alternative. Try reshafting your Callys. If you are using the uniflex shaft, you will notice a world of difference by going to DGs or Rifles. I have a couple of sets with DG Sensicore and the feel between them and the uniflex is night and day. They have a much softer feel and that clicky sound and feel is not there. To me, the i5s felt very much like my Callys with the DG sensicore shafts.

Thanks for the suggestion, rapper, but I'm just not as comfortable over the ball with the X-14's as I was with my old ISI and the newer G2 irons. I'm just not a fan of the whole Callaway hosel area design/look.

I think it's true to say that as much of the game is played between your ears as off the grass, and I wasn't giving the clubs a second thought when I hit the G2's.....just point and shoot, and watch it fly. I really don't want to get into reshafting the Callys, as I don't think it's going to solve the issue. I'd rather go with the PINGs and play some golf.

Thanks anyway.

I think the G2's are underrated.........there's a few PGA pro's still playing them. I had a set and liked them, just wasn't what I was looking for though. The long irons are among the best I've hit.
Yeah, I really liked how I just swung the club and the ball flew high and straight almost every time. Trajectory was maybe a little higher than I preferred, but I couldn't fault the feel or consistency.

One thing that I'm interested to know is whether there's any playing difference between the G2 and G5. I put the two side by side in the store, and the heads are the same shape and size. Offset looks to be identical (confirmed on PING website), and topline too. The back cavities are different though: G2 has the weight port low and back, whereas the G5 pocket is higher and closer to the face. I suspect that the G5 will have the same attributes except for a slightly lower ball flight.

I'm not sure about the i5 size. I tend to like slightly larger clubheads. However, I'll find out if they work for me when I get fitted. Maybe I'll end up with a mixed set.....who knows? I'm looking forward to it!

Update: got my fitting appointment set up with the Head Pro at Sunset CC in Sumter for 10am on 3/5/06.

The G2's are not "heat-treated". The first irons that Ping put through this process were the G5's and i5's. If the G2's work for you, then go with them, but the i5 and G5 have much better feel. I have said it once and I'll say it again, the i5 is the best iron Ping has ever made, and I have played them all.

TaylorMade M2 (9.5*)
Exotics CB5 (15*)
TM Rescue TP (19*)
PING Vintage Pal 2 (35")

The G2's are not "heat-treated". The first irons that Ping put through this process were the G5's and i5's...
I really appreciate your recommendation of the i5 iron, but I respectfully think you're mistaken with regards to the heat-treating issue.

To the best of my knowledge, all of PING's irons are investment cast and subsequently heat-treated to achieve the necessary playing properties of product that PING is famous for. When I purchased my ISI irons back in '98, PING's website/product promo carried the following info for this model:

"The optimum-sized ISI-K (stainless steel) iron is designed to improve your accuracy. It's larger head provides greater forgiveness on off-center hits. The lead edge profiles and sole contours are designed to improve playability from varying lies, making the ISI-K an option for all players. It also features our patented cavity design to give you consistent distance and accuracy that you expect from a PING iron. Like all PING irons, the ISI-K is heat treated to establish consistency and strength. This process refines the metal's grain structure to ensure proper hardness, corrosion resistance and durability. For you, this translates to solid feel -- shot after shot."

Also, if you visit the PING website and search their Knowledge Base using the keyword, "heat", you will find one search result as follows:

Question:

What is the difference between the metal types used in the ISI irons (nickel, copper, stainless steel)?

Answer:

All of the metals are heat-treated to about the same hardness, and the performance is actually the same. The only difference is that BeNi (nickel) is more dense than BeCu (copper) and they are both more dense than stainless steel. The more dense a material is, the softer it will sound. Most people interpret this as a softer "feel".

Maybe PING are making more noise in the press about the heat-treatment of their 5-series irons, but I for one find it hard to believe that they did not subject the G2 iron (and every other model past and present) to a similar process. They have a characteristic feel and sound to all of their irons, and I think that to do something less with the G2 would make it stick out like a sore thumb. Personally, my range time with the G2 showed me that this iron was definitely a PING in terms of feel and performance, and I have no doubt that it was made the same way as all other PING irons.

My mistake ! I was incorrectly told this by a rep at a local Golfsmith. After further research, it looks like the additional feel is coming from an enlarged tuning port. As I mentioned earlier, I have played just about every model Ping has offered beginning with the Eye 2's. The i5, and maybe the G5 (which I have not hit), is the best feeling iron to date. Also, the forgiveness is amazing for a somewhat thinner profile. A decent ballstriker is going to play good golf with any set of Pings. So again, pick the one you are comfortable with and enjoy the experience. As we know, half the battle is between the ears anyway.

TaylorMade M2 (9.5*)
Exotics CB5 (15*)
TM Rescue TP (19*)
PING Vintage Pal 2 (35")

The I5s and G5s are really sweet. I have a 4-6 in the G5s and 7-SW in the I5s with Rifle 5.5.

I used to play with ISI-nickels with JZ-stiffs.

The thing that I've noticed a lot with the I5s and especially the G5s, is that they are extremely accurate. Direction and distance-wise. If I aim 5 yds right of the flag, that's where the ball goes. If I mishit it, the deviation is minimal.

Distance wise, with my old ISIs, sometime my yardages were off a few yards. With the I5s/G5s, distances are precise each and every time. This has helped me when in between clubs to keep it on the safe section of the green, by keeping it under the hole.

Each new round I get under my belt with my new Pings, the more good feelings I have about my choice.

Nice to hear that the new PINGs are ultra accurate AND forgiving. Can't beat that!

Before posting, I hadn't given any thought to mixing and matching a set from both the G5 and i5 ranges. When I go for my fitting next weekend I'll certainly give it a try, although I like the larger head of the G5 when I put both side by side in the local shop. What can I say? Whether I need the help or not, I like it to be there. Anyhoo, I've got a lesson before then, so I'll toss that question out to the pro and see what he thinks about it all. I'm getting excited now! When I had the PING fitting before, I came away very satisfied that I'd ordered a set of clubs that would suit me for a very long time (what a plonker I was for dumping them!)

Finally: I play a couple of Rescues that I'm very happy with, so my irons in the bag start at the 5 (even though I own the 3 and 4). Would I get a better deal from the PING pro on a full set, or should I just order 5-PW? Also, bearing in mind that I can buy more irons individually, do you feel that the i5/G5 U and S wedges are worth getting?

Almost sold my entire Callaway set up earlier today, but I'm kinda glad I didn't as I had the first of my Xmas gift lessons today. I went into the lesson looking forward to my PING club fitting appointment on Sunday, and came out of it thinking there was nothing wrong with the X-14's after all!

I'd been playing a little more inconsistently lately, and was feeling like the club was moving in my hands on the backswing. This was causing a little bit of overswing, and hence the inconsistency.

After hitting 5 or 6 shots with my 7-iron, the Pro told me that I had a very neutral grip, and needed to strengthen my left hand on the club. He showed me what I SHOULD be doing. He then adjusted my address position so that I was now playing the ball further forward in my stance, and as a result, my hands were a little further forward too.

As soon as I put these changes into action, my shots flew both further and considerably higher than before. Direction control was better (I didn't block anything out to the right at all) and consistency of strike was first rate. Shot after shot produced the same flight and length to the point where it was difficult to pick the current ball out from the previous one in the landing zone. It was scary (in a robotic kind of way) to see that kind repeatability from my golf swing. I don't think I've ever hit the ball that well before!

Like I said at the beginning of this post, I came away from this first lesson (of three) enthused about my game, and wondering whether I should cancel my PING fitting. The only doubt I have now about the Callaways is in the short irons: I don't feel comfortable looking down on them at address, and usually sh*nk more than my fair share as a result. I told the Pro that I had my Callaways for sale at work because of this, and he asked if the offset was progressive through the wedges. I told him that to my eye there was very little offset in the 8/9/PW and that was my problem. He told me to hold off on changing clubs until I work my swing changes into my game: I'll probably find that those clubs won't give me the same problems as the once did.

My question (to anyone who's interested) is, "Is the Pro right?". Should I hold off on the PING's and stick with the Callies? I intend to find out tomorrow when I try the new grip/stance with the short irons. In the meantime, an enquiring mind would like to know YOUR opinion.

Parkini- Stick with the Callaways! They are nice sticks!

Even though I am a club ho, I know deep down that it is me and not the equipment. Awhile back I was going through a phase where a couple times a round, I would chunk a shot big time. I was contemplating switching out my irons for something with a wider sole. Then suddenly on the range it hit me. I had a shoulder injury earlier in the year and my body had compensated by making my swing more upright. I corrected it and no more fat shots.

Get some new sticks!!!!

Club Ho's unite!!!

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Driver: Yonex Ezone 380 9*
Fairway: Tour Edge cb5 15*
Hybrid: Tour Edge cb5 19*
Irons: Hogan Ft Worth (15) 21*, 25*, 29*, 33*, 37*, 41*, 45*
Wedges: Hogan TK 49*, 53*, 57*
Putter: 2007 Odyssey Black #1
Bag: PING Hoofer[/font]

Parkini- Stick with the Callaways! They are nice sticks!
Played 18 yesterday afternoon at a pretty tight course that I maybe visit 2 or 3 times a year. I wasn't expecting too much because of the changes I'm implementing, and so was prepared for a rough round. I was right, too! Conditions were very breezy, and I hit the magic 100 (last time I shot that high was at Bandon Dunes pre-2000 in G*d-awful weather).

Basically, three 7's, two 8's and a 9 and four lost balls were the main culprits, and my troubles all started off the tee. I had a very hard time working the changes into my driver and 3-wood game, with the results being mainly low smothered hooks, or creamed drives off line and into the woods/lakes. It seemed like I was playing 3 off the tee on almost every par 4/5, and that's tough to overcome and still shoot a good score. The new grip also played havoc with my chipping early on, and I tended to skull almost everything I tried until maybe the last 4 or 5 holes.

The positive aspects were my approach shots, and par 3's. My 8 and 9 irons were on fire! After a poor opening drive, I hit 9 to 6 feet and par'd the first. A 9 to 4 feet on the first par 3 for birdie. Saved par on the next par 5 with a 9 to 3 feet after getting wet off the tee. An 8 to 5 feet on the next for par. And so on. Almost had a hole in one on a 115 yarder, but walked off with par there. That was VERY encouraging.

I think it was very premature to expect a good score without putting some practice time in, but there were many positive things to take away from this round. I just need to work on this and I'm sure my game will pick up again. One step back to go forward again, right? My buddy and I had a laugh about it all on 18 when he told me it took Tiger a year or two to make changes and improve his game. Yeah, he really suffered through that period too....only won $5 million a year, instead of his normal $10m!!!

Anyway, I decided to take a raincheck on my PING fitting as:

1. I'm not hitting the ball consistently enough for the fitting to be worthwhile
  2. After I work these changes into my game, I might need different club specs from my current ones
  3. I might find that the Callaways suit me just fine after all!

So, to all of you who might be struggling with some aspect of your game....go get a lesson! (or two...or three...). I'm glad I did, as I knew there was something(s) wrong for the last year or more and thought I could work through it myself, but I couldn't. An hour with a PGA pro and now I feel like I've got my fundamentals back on track. And like the pro said, "A good shot only comes from a good set-up". Best money I've (well...my wife, actually) has spent on my golf game.

Thanks for listening.

parkinni-

It is always tough to recover from errant tee shots. Penalty strokes are not the friend of a good score! We have a local course that is fairly tough. It has a 132 slope rating from the tees we play. It is tight and there is a fair amount of water in play. If you let your tee shots get away from you, it is a long day. The good thing about it is after playing this course for awhile, you can feel confident about anywhere you play. A friend of mine was stuck at the 90 plateau at his home course (slope 118). I got him to play with us for most of last season. He went back to his normal corse at the end of the year and cruised to an 84! He chalked it up to the increased confience he had gained from playing a much more difficut course on a regular basis.