2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Tour Players Range Finders

Runt1122

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bushnells really do seem dominate on tour. Going way back to the earliest days of lasers and before "slope indicators." Does anybody suppose that maybe Bushnell is giving them away to the tour caddies? They'd be smart to do that, in my humble opinion.

By all accounts, the best of the Bushnells really are good products. But by lots of accounts, there are others that are "as good." So why such dominance on the tours.

$$$???

Bushnells really do seem dominate on tour. Going way back to the earliest days of lasers and before "slope indicators." Does anybody suppose that maybe Bushnell is giving them away to the tour caddies? They'd be smart to do that, in my humble opinion.

By all accounts, the best of the Bushnells really are good products. But by lots of accounts, there are others that are "as good." So why such dominance on the tours.

$$$???

I thought to myself that maybe the dominance could be influenced by sponsorships and/or possibly discounts but figured the price is not that high for them where it could be an influence or a concern. I'd think that something so important for them would be the best equipment that they have tried. Hence the dominance.

Last time the tour played here in Michigan I went to a practice round and wanted to see specifically what rangefinders the guys used (back then, they used them in practice).

I think Bushnell was giving them away, as they all (with a few exceptions) had the SAME model, and the SAME carry bag strapped to each golf bag.

Most used the BIG Bushnell (the ones that look like a pair of binoculars.) I have a Yardage Pro 1000 (which is what they were using at that time (2 years ago).

Some pros (Vijay I think was one) were using the Nikon.

A few others had the smaller Bushnells, but if you go strictly by what was visible out there, it wasn't even close--Bushnell.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
I'm really confused about usage of range finders. So for us amateurs, is it legal for use during your local club sunday competition? Was really tempted to get one but if its not 'legal' for use during competition, i don't think i really need one. Plus, I don't wanna be labelled a 'cheat' by my playing partners! :shok:

Legal for Handicap and Amateur tournaments....Not for the PGA

I'm really confused about usage of range finders. So for us amateurs, is it legal for use during your local club sunday competition? Was really tempted to get one but if its not 'legal' for use during competition, i don't think i really need one. Plus, I don't wanna be labelled a 'cheat' by my playing partners! :shok:

Thanks mate, but I suppose not the models with the slope rating? Will consider one now so that there's no guesswork anymore!

Correct the slope model is not legal for sanctioned amatuer events nor is it legal for handicap purposes. However, if you use the slope addition and make a yardage book you will have a perfectly legal advantage over your competition, all it takes a little bit of time. :shok:

Bats/Sticks/Tools:

Ping G 10.5 set at 9.9, tour ad di 6x
Titleist 915F set at A4 (16.5), Rouge Black 80s
Titleist 910H set at A1 (19), Diamana Whiteboard 90s
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW, KBS Tour 120s
Titleist SM6 52(bent to 51), 56, 60. M grinds on the 56 and 60 F on the 51
Cameron Squareback.
ProV1x

Assistant Professional
PGA Apprentice

"Live Free or Die"

I think Nikon with the new 800 and 1200 Callaway Nikon rangefinders will be almost as competitive as the Bushnell Pinseeker. The new NikonCallaway range of rangefinders have the same pinseeker mode and the are lighter and less bulky and also have a better battery time.

The problem with the old Nikon 500 model was that it did not support Pinseeker mode and was very slow a focusing - the new Callaway Nikon are NOT in any way slow, in fact the optics inside is identical to the hunting models from Nikon called Monarch and they are generally considered the best there is.

The two negative things about the Bushnell 1500 Pinseeker is bulk and poor battery time. The Callaway Nikon is smaller (both the 800 and 1200, even though the 1200 is almost same size as the 1500) and have a powerful battery built in.

Slope is legal for handicap and practice rounds

non slope is only legal IF the tourney board allows range finder use during tournament play.

non slope is only legal IF the tourney board allows range finder use during tournament play.

That's correct.

This is what R&A says on their website:

5. Am I permitted to use a distance measuring device during a stipulated round?

No. Rule 14-3 provides that "during a stipulated round the player shall not use any artificial device or unusual equipment ... for the purpose of gauging or measuring distance or conditions which might affect his play". However, the Committee in charge of the competition can permit distance measuring devices by Local Rule.

I'm pretty sure USGA says the same.

That's correct.

smittysbar,

No, that is not correct!! Slope is legal for practice rounds but is not legal for rounds used to determine handicap. See the USGA rule below.

Scott

----------------------------------------------------------------------

5-1f/2. Scores Made Using a Distance-Measuring Device

Q: Are scores made using information generated from a Distance-Measuring Device acceptable for handicap purposes?

A: In certain situations, yes. If the Distance-Measuring Device measures distance only, the score is acceptable for handicap purposes, regardless of whether the Committee has established a Local Rule allowing the use of a distance-measuring device. However, the use of a device that gauges or measures other conditions that might affect a player's play (e.g., wind or gradient) is not permitted and makes the score unacceptable for handicap purposes, even if these capabilities are disabled or not used.

That's correct.

smittysbar,

No, that is not correct!! Slope is legal for practice rounds but is not legal for rounds used to determine handicap. See the USGA rule below.

Scott

----------------------------------------------------------------------

5-1f/2. Scores Made Using a Distance-Measuring Device

Q: Are scores made using information generated from a Distance-Measuring Device acceptable for handicap purposes?

A: In certain situations, yes. If the Distance-Measuring Device measures distance only, the score is acceptable for handicap purposes, regardless of whether the Committee has established a Local Rule allowing the use of a distance-measuring device. However, the use of a device that gauges or measures other conditions that might affect a player's play (e.g., wind or gradient) is not permitted and makes the score unacceptable for handicap purposes, even if these capabilities are disabled or not used.

Ding ding ding!! Thanks for posting the correct information.