Tipping the Starter ? ? ?

Trying to figure out when this is appropriate
My old golf teacher told me that you don't tip a starter unless they do something extra for you, like squeeze you in as a walk-on on a crowded day.

So last year, we're at a semi-private club, and the starter keeps standing there waiting. And my buddy is whispering to me asking if we should tip him. Eventually, one of the guys tosses him a couple of bucks, and we all feel cheap.

Then somebody else told me that this is more common at private clubs. Any comments would be appreciated.

Part two: Do you tip when you drop your clubs off at the bag drop, or when you pick them up?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have played or caddied on likely a couple hundred courses in my lifetime and I have never even heard of tipping the starter. The starter?? You have got to be kidding me. Even worse for him to stand there and wait - if you do that, then you are guaranteed not to get a tip from me, and I'm a pretty solid tipper. Sheesh - why not tip the pro for being so kind as to allow you on the course for your tee time? Tip the greenskeeper for making the greens nice and true? The grounds crew for raking the bunkers? Amazing.

Β 

At the bag drop I tip a couple / few bucks when I pick my clubs up.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Β  Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

Β  PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Β  Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Β  Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

I'm not a country club type, but I've never heard of that. Tip caddies sure.

Β 

Just do whatever you think is right. This guy probably just sensed you guys didn't know what to do in the situation and thought he could get some extra cash if he hung around.

Β 

I don't understand where he was hanging around you by the way. You mean he followed you on your round?

First of all, starter speeches are usually pretentious and annoying. It's like settle down and get over yourself mr. starter, I get it, this is a golf course with a thing or two that is mildy unique. That right there is the only "tip" I would ever give a starter. That starter must be a real a-hole if he's looking for a tip. Do not cave in to that kind of crap, ever.

Β 

And definitely no on tipping bag drop and club cleaning people. I don't want or need those services and am not about to tip some selfish employee looking to push them on me. It's so easy, unnecessary and worthless.

The starter at my club has taken care of me as a new member. He deserved a nice tip at the end of the first season and he got one.

Β 

Β 

This is different than the extorting type starter at a muni that takes a payoff allowing certain groups to avoid the normal procedure for getting tee times.

First of all, starter speeches are usually pretentious and annoying. It's like settle down and get over yourself mr. starter, I get it, this is a golf course with a thing or two that is mildy unique. That right there is the only "tip" I would ever give a starter. That starter must be a real a-hole if he's looking for a tip. Do not cave in to that kind of crap, ever.

Β 

And definitely no on tipping bag drop and club cleaning people. I don't want or need those services and am not about to tip some selfish employee looking to push them on me. It's so easy, unnecessary and worthless.

Β 

Β 

I completely disagree with this. Most golf courses the pro asks their cart staff to do this service. If you don't want the service, tell them "No thanks" but they are not being selfish by doing it. A lot of the money they make comes from tips they receive. Most people on the cart staff make minimum wage and getting tips just helps their pay.

Β 

Β 

Β 

I completely disagree with this. Most golf courses the pro asks their cart staff to do this service. If you don't want the service, tell them "No thanks" but they are not being selfish by doing it. A lot of the money they make comes from tips they receive. Most people on the cart staff make minimum wage and getting tips just helps their pay.

Β 

Many people in the fast food industry make minimum wage. Do you tip the person at the McDonald's drive thru because he/she handed you a Big Mac, fries and a drink? Just asking...

Β 

Kevin

Tipping the starter is not an uncommon practice when the Starter takes care of you

Β 

Example, group shows up late for a 730am tee time and the sheet is full until 130pm, the starter hustles a few groups and gets them out a few minutes earlier to create a gap and gets your group out. He should be tipped. As for the starter speeches, many times its necessary as many people act like complete fools when behind the wheel of a golf cart

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

they may make minium wage, but they get free golf usually

Β 

being on cart staff isn't really a career, it's a job you take when you're a kid or in school

Β 

you don't support a family by working in the cart barn

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

they may make minium wage, but they get free golf usually

Β 

being on cart staff isn't really a career, it's a job you take when you're a kid or in school

Β 

you don't support a family by working in the cart barn

Depends where you live

the average age of my outside staff is 33 and they all make a good living by people that tip them for taking care of them

wow, I guess you're right it certainly does depend on where you live

Β 

I used to work in a cart barn and it was all high school kids, just working for extra spending money (used to make $4.25/hr!)

Β 

the area I live in now, looks like most of the cart staff/range staff are more of the migrant worker type

Β 

I used to work in a cart barn and it was all high school kids, just working for extra spending money (used to make $4.25/hr!)

Β 

the area I live in now, looks like most of the cart staff/range staff are more of the migrant worker type

yea, they get 8.50 per hour and average around 100.00 a day in unreported tips

tournaments is where they clean up as when we sell a tournament we charge a bag fee for each guest

working at a semi private club, both as a bag boy (pick your stuff up at the car) and as a starter i have found that tipping normally works as such (or seems fair to me):

Β 

tip anywhere from $2-$20 a bag when you are greeted at your vehicle, and your clubs are then picked up.

Β 

as a starter; i dont expect a tip, unless i do something extra, i typically scrub down clubs whenever guys are making the turn and stop in the clubhouse (anywhere from $1-$5); and then for other playing privileges (such as getting you out to a certain hole with your group, letting you sneak out before the tee time, or go out after the last tee time... et cetera) tips have a much broader range and it just depends on what they are looking for. most all members know how to tip, but for our guests a good rule of thumb, is tip when greeted, and tip at the end when your clubs are cleaned and taken back to your vehicle....

Β 

maybe that cleared something up lol

Β 

Β 

tournaments is where they clean up as when we sell a tournament we charge a bag fee for each guest

Β 

That's pretty damn good pay for someone who loads and unloads bags, cleans clubs, sprays down the carts and picks the range. Figure 8 hours a day, 5 days a week and that's $840 a week, but only $340 is taxed. Run that out 40 weeks a year and it's almost $34,000 PLUS free golf and discounts on equipment (in most cases). Taxable income is shy of $14,000, so they make $20,000 untaxed. And they typically get free or deeply discounted meals in the club house.

Β 

When my wife stopped teaching 5 years ago, she was making $34,000 a year. She has a bachelors degree and was dealing with learning disabled kids 5 days a week from 8 am to 3 pm. But she never got tips for doing her job....

Β 

Kevin

Β 

Β 

HAHAHA we're not telling you about the course rules to get a TIP from you, we do other things worthy of tips; we have to say most of that crap because we're required to (i work at a semi-private resort course). the only time a starter expects a tip is when he gets you out in front of everyone, or gets you on when the tee sheet is full from 6am to 3pm...

Β 

and if you do not want or need your clubs cleaned, just tell me no thanks, it doesnt bug me one bit, i can go take care of someone else, some people like being catered to, and tip in accordance to that. At my course we dont push it on anyone, i'l come up and ask if you would like your clubs cleaned, about half the people say no... so i go to someone else who does lol.

Β 

i make minimum wage but get free golf and good tips from the 95% of people who tip well at my course!

Β 

love my job, and i understand that people dont want me to touch their clubs or greet them; thats fine by me, just say no thanks and i'll be on my way. i completely understand how some courses can be pushy and expect tips, however i just do my job and if you want to tip me, i really appreciate it. i dont think i would get tipped if i didnt do my job right, people do not just throw money around lol

Β 

Β 

HAHAHA we're not telling you about the course rules to get a TIP from you, we do other things worthy of tips; we have to say most of that crap because we're required to (i work at a semi-private resort course). the only time a starter expects a tip is when he gets you out in front of everyone, or gets you on when the tee sheet is full from 6am to 3pm...

Β 

and if you do not want or need your clubs cleaned, just tell me no thanks, it doesnt bug me one bit, i can go take care of someone else, some people like being catered to, and tip in accordance to that. At my course we dont push it on anyone, i'l come up and ask if you would like your clubs cleaned, about half the people say no... so i go to someone else who does lol.

Β 

i make minimum wage but get free golf and good tips from the 95% of people who tip well at my course!

Β 

love my job, and i understand that people dont want me to touch their clubs or greet them; thats fine by me, just say no thanks and i'll be on my way. i completely understand how some courses can be pushy and expect tips, however i just do my job and if you want to tip me, i really appreciate it. i dont think i would get tipped if i didnt do my job right, people do not just throw money around lol

Β 

People do not just throw money around? Lol indeed. That is exactly who tips a lot is people who carelessly throw money around, either because they're rich enough to afford it or because they're a wannabe rich poser. These are exactly the people who pay through tips the absurd 34,000 a year for cart boys that that other guy in this thread was talking about. Likely it's at a resort course where people come knowing they will be blowing money. It would be even more typical if it were in Vegas. The only other people who tip silly things like what's mentioned in this thread are people who are guilted into it by pushy employees. And while you may not be one of those pushy employees, there are a ton of them out there.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Many people in the fast food industry make minimum wage. Do you tip the person at the McDonald's drive thru because he/she handed you a Big Mac, fries and a drink? Just asking...

Β 

Kevin

Β 

Β 

Haha, exactly. Wait, actually, I completely disagree, at most McDonalds the manager asks the drive thru staff to do this service. If you don't want the service tell them no thanks but they are not selfish by doing it and looking for tips. The staff could make a lot more money from tips (and customers could lose a lot more money from tips), most of the drive thru staff just makes minimum wage and getting tips helps their pay. From now on I will say thanks for putting my quarter pounder with cheese inside a bag and handing it to me and I will tip them between $1 and $5, oh, you put napkins in there too, another $1 to $5 coming your way, wait is that a ketchup packet, take this Abe Lincoln for your troubles you oh so kind drive thru staff member, it has been a pleasure being unnecessarily ripped off by you.

Β 

Working the drive thru at McD's is A LOT harder than working a bag drop and brushing off clubs. It's even slightly harder than being a starter. And all of them are extremely easy. I love to hear biased golf course employees talking about how noble and deserved it all is in an effort to protect the racket, so ridiculous. If some people want to pay for a guy to set their bag in a cart, tell you it's a 90 degree rule today, and clean your clubs after the round, ok. But let's not pretend it's not completely frivilous.

Β 

It's also funny how these people act like they're really doing you a friendly favor as if they are unselfish long lost friends......and then they want cold hard cash for it. Newsflash, that is not a favor, that is a deal, a deal you're trying to guilt trick people into by posing it as a favor.

Β 

Β 

Β 

That's pretty damn good pay for someone who loads and unloads bags, cleans clubs, sprays down the carts and picks the range. Figure 8 hours a day, 5 days a week and that's $840 a week, but only $340 is taxed. Run that out 40 weeks a year and it's almost $34,000 PLUS free golf and discounts on equipment (in most cases). Taxable income is shy of $14,000, so they make $20,000 untaxed. And they typically get free or deeply discounted meals in the club house.

Β 

When my wife stopped teaching 5 years ago, she was making $34,000 a year. She has a bachelors degree and was dealing with learning disabled kids 5 days a week from 8 am to 3 pm. But she never got tips for doing her job....

Β 

Kevin

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

People do not just throw money around? Lol indeed. That is exactly who tips a lot is people who carelessly throw money around, either because they're rich enough to afford it or because they're a wannabe rich poser. These are exactly the people who pay through tips the absurd 34,000 a year for cart boys that that other guy in this thread was talking about. Likely it's at a resort course where people come knowing they will be blowing money. It would be even more typical if it were in Vegas. The only other people who tip silly things like what's mentioned in this thread are people who are guilted into it by pushy employees. And while you may not be one of those pushy employees, there are a ton of them out there.

Lets not make excuses for the finacially challenged.

Β 

Β 

you sound kind of grumpy? are these experiences you've had at "resort" type of courses? when i'm at a resort type of golf course i'm on vacation and generally in a good mood. so if the staff does something nice beyond the minimum required i will tip. if you don't want your clubs clean just say, "no thanks, don't need them cleaned." but if the guy cleans them for you give him a couple of bucks. i have family memebers who are in the service industry who rely on tips as part of their income, so i'm biased and generally a big tipper.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Kevin

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

That single sentence encompasses the BS surrounding the tipping issue. It's the typical "he doesn't tip because he's cheap" or "he doesn't tip because he can't afford it." Do you ever stop and think about how freaking stupid tipping is in some instances? Here are some places I see tip jars:

Β 

- Take-out counter at a restaurant. Please explain to me why I should tip someone if I pick up my food. I'm not getting any table service.

Β 

- Starbucks. I go there every day and order a regular coffee, not one of those 12 word foamy things. Should I tip the person because they pulled the lever on the coffee container and filled the cup? I don't think so. I figure that's part of the $2 cost.

Β 

These are just a couple examples I see on a daily basis. And trust me, it has absolutely NOTHING to do with finances. It's about the principle.

Β 

Kevin

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Kevin

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

That single sentence encompasses the BS surrounding the tipping issue. It's the typical "he doesn't tip because he's cheap" or "he doesn't tip because he can't afford it." Do you ever stop and think about how freaking stupid tipping is in some instances? Here are some places I see tip jars:

Β 

- Take-out counter at a restaurant. Please explain to me why I should tip someone if I pick up my food. I'm not getting any table service.

Β 

- Starbucks. I go there every day and order a regular coffee, not one of those 12 word foamy things. Should I tip the person because they pulled the lever on the coffee container and filled the cup? I don't think so. I figure that's part of the $2 cost.

Β 

These are just a couple examples I see on a daily basis. And trust me, it has absolutely NOTHING to do with finances. It's about the principle.

Β 

Kevin

Β 

i tip at starbucks because i don't want to carry the loose change in my pockets.

i tip at the take-out counter if the take-out girl is cute ;-)

BTW, it's ridiculous to start comparing salaries of teachers with bag boys. If teachers feel they aren't making enough then they should quit and get a different job where they feel they are adequately compensated. don't take it out on a bag boy because you think that they are overpaid. it's a free country!

Β 

That's laughable. You say a teacher should quit and get a different job if they feel underpaid. Yet you are inherently defending a bag boy who relies on the generosity of others and their tips. Trust me, our country would be just fine without bag boys. Take away teachers and see where we end up. :russian_roulette:

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Kevin

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Kevin

It is what it is my man

BTW, it's ridiculous to start comparing salaries of teachers with bag boys. If teachers feel they aren't making enough then they should quit and get a different job where they feel they are adequately compensated. don't take it out on a bag boy because you think that they are overpaid. it's a free country!

Β 

That's laughable. You say a teacher should quit and get a different job if they feel underpaid. Yet you are inherently defending a bag boy who relies on the generosity of others and their tips. Trust me, our country would be just fine without bag boys. Take away teachers and see where we end up. :russian_roulette:

maybe if the teachers did a better job we wouldnt have grown men as cart boys :rolleyes:

Β 

Β 

the two have nothing to do with each other. you feel like teachers are underpaid, so therefore you're going to take it out on everybody who you think are overpaid? i think i'm underpaid, so i shouldn't tip my hairdresser or the waitress?

Β 

teachers know that teachers don't get paid much. yet they still choose the profession. good for them, it's a noble career. but don't then complain about how underpaid you are. you chose the career.

Β 

reminds me of some of my doctor friends who complain about their student loans. they all knew that med school would be expensive. they all chose to go to med school. no surprises. yet they still complain about the loans.

Β 

maybe if the teachers did a better job we wouldnt have grown men as cart boys :rolleyes:

Β 

Heck, if I had to choose one of those two jobs at the same pay I'd be a cart guy all day, every day. That's a no brainer. Free golf, equipment discounts, the same pay or more AND I don't have to deal with whining kids and their "my child can do no wrong" parents.

Β 

Β 

Heck, if I had to choose one of those two jobs at the same pay I'd be a cart guy all day, every day. That's a no brainer. Free golf, equipment discounts, the same pay or more AND I don't have to deal with whining kids and their "my child can do no wrong" parents.

I dunno, my sister is a teacher and she gets summer off

Β 

Hell Paul Goydos was a substitute teacher in California and it worked ok for him

Β 

as for what some bag guys make, it all depends on location and the Property, but lets also remember that Valets here in Vegas pull 60-80k a year