New Golf Guru 4

[quote name='Adamsguy' post='1916468' date='Aug 26 2009, 08:29 PM']I'm sure there will be positive software updates as we go along based on the feedback they are getting from us. I think we are only experiencing the tip of the iceburg on what the GG4 will be capable of delivering. Keep the faith!
Dennis[/quote]

I talked to GG Customer Service yesterday. They are working on a lot of things to enhance the G4.

The little red squares will be enhanced to show what it is and pop-up yardage when you select them. If you notice a creek or important target not shown on the AerVu map, you need to send in a request. The unit has the capability of audibly announcing your yardages. They could add that if we want.

Personally, I think it should play "Double Bogey Blues", when you enter a score 2 over par.

With regard to AerVu map requests, they are working hard to chip away at the huge backlog as I predicted weeks ago. If you sent in a large list of requests, they will work on the course at the "top" of your list and then go on the the next requestor's "first".

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Adamsguy' post='1917871' date='Aug 27 2009, 02:21 PM']Has anyone used any of the other apps besides the Nav and golf app?
Dennis[/quote]
I have played some music on the G4. It works pretty good. I am interested in using the [u]movie[/u] pathway, but I am not sure how to download a movie to the memory stick...or...even to find a movie that is downloadable.

[quote name='ChoppingBrocolli' post='1917690' date='Aug 27 2009, 12:49 PM']If you notice a creek or important target not shown on the AerVu map, you need to send in a request.[/quote]
I noticed some creeks missing on my existing AerVu map and sent in the the request on Wednesday. They posted the correction on Friday and notified me to synch up to gain the upgrade.
:golfer:

Anyone tried the screen protector that they sell on the Guru website for the Guru 4? Does it help reduce the screen glare on a sunny day? The screen, without the protector, is great on a cloudy day or in the shade. In bright sunlight I can barely make out anything on the screen. I have the screen at maximum brightness.

JW

[quote name='jwknow' post='1926631' date='Sep 1 2009, 09:40 AM']Anyone tried the screen protector that they sell on the Guru website for the Guru 4? Does it help reduce the screen glare on a sunny day? The screen, without the protector, is great on a cloudy day or in the shade. In bright sunlight I can barely make out anything on the screen. I have the screen at maximum brightness.

JW[/quote]

My G4 came with a screen protector on it. I am guessing the replacement on the GG website is just like the original. I have the screen on full brightness and sometimes have to look at it at different angles to avoid the glare. This happens to my cart mate's Golf Buddy Pro. And compared to the Golf Buddy the G4 screen is brighter.

I don't think the screen protector does anything for glare. There is still a bright reflection off my white golf shirt and I need to [u]bend[/u] down to get the right angle to avoid glare. My G4 is attached to the cupholder on my push cart using the cupholder sold by GG. The glare is just something you need to work around.

[quote name='Rickochet' post='1931041' date='Sep 3 2009, 07:40 AM'][quote name='jwknow' post='1926631' date='Sep 1 2009, 09:40 AM']Anyone tried the screen protector that they sell on the Guru website for the Guru 4? Does it help reduce the screen glare on a sunny day? The screen, without the protector, is great on a cloudy day or in the shade. In bright sunlight I can barely make out anything on the screen. I have the screen at maximum brightness.

JW[/quote]

My G4 came with a screen protector on it. I am guessing the replacement on the GG website is just like the original. I have the screen on full brightness and sometimes have to look at it at different angles to avoid the glare. This happens to my cart mate's Golf Buddy Pro. And compared to the Golf Buddy the G4 screen is brighter.
[/quote]

Well....I ordered a pack of 3 of the screen protectors and they arrived today. They aren't the same as the "screen protector" that came with the guru4 with the little removal tab in the corner. These don't have the little tab and are at least twice as thick as the one that you're talking about. I think the "screen protector" that comes with the Guru 4, is just a temporary thing mainly for shipping. I left mine on though until I got the ones that arrived today to temporarily protect the screen. Took it out in the sunlight after installing the new protector and it doesn't do anything to stop the glare from the sun. Guess I'll just have to look, like you said, from a different angle. Funny thing about the G2 and G4 is that the G2 is best viewed in bright sunlight and the G4 is best on a cloudy day or in shade. Oh well....just a minor work around.

JW

I received my 8 gig card and tried to load a movie on it but so far no luck. I was able to load a bunch of music on the card and play them on the G4. Sounds as good as my mp3 player does with head set on.
I still have not received any of the AerVu maps I asked for weeks ago. They must be really behind on those. I see they are offering the color screen G3 for a limited time.
Well time to do a little golfing with my G4 :good: .
Dennis

I've now played 5 rounds with my new GURU 4 and I absolutely love it. It took me a couple of rounds to really learn how to use the device but after that it's all good. The bummer was that i lost my stylus the first round but quickly adapted to using a tee. The folks at GURU were kind enough to send me a new stylus. I don't use the gps or other features just the golf. I've requested a couple of the aeroview maps and i'm looking forward to using those just to have the right distances of where to lay up when the need arises (often). I have also noticed that the battery life has improved with use just like my iphone 3g did so i'm guessing they must use similar battery technology. The only feature i wish they would add is a snap back to center tap. Sometimes i'm moving the pin around to try to find the pin distance and i've found that there's no quick way to get it back to where it shows the center yardage. Other than that i absolutely love the device.

I figured out how to add a 9 hole round without having hole 10 show up on the web site when you download the round. Don't hit the save button on hole 9 after you put in your strokes for that hole. Just exit the utility after you have put in your strokes.

Also there is a software update. Uninstall your current software and reinstall the update.
Dennis

[quote name='Adamsguy' post='1955391' date='Sep 16 2009, 09:32 PM']Also there is a software update. Uninstall your current software and reinstall the update.
Dennis[/quote]

Is this a new release of the one that was released about a month or so back? I downloaded the software update then and it would let me add new courses so I went back to the original software.

[quote name='Adamsguy' post='1957700' date='Sep 17 2009, 09:14 PM']I don't know what they did on the update. All I know is this update is 2.0.5.1. I used the GG4 today and it worked well, I wish my golfing worked as well as the GG4.[/quote]

Have you tried downloading any new courses since you updated the software?

[quote name='jwknow' post='1961144' date='Sep 19 2009, 08:13 PM']How long is it taking for anyone/everyone to get AerVu courses mapped? Requested a few August 25th when I got my GG4. Nothing mapped yet.

Thanks
JW[/quote]

With regard to AerVu map requests, they are working hard to chip away at the huge backlog as I predicted weeks ago. If you sent in a large list of requests, they will work on the course at the "top" of your list and then go on the the next requestor's "first".

I still have 4 unmapped courses pending for over a month. I think if you call them and tell them you want a particular course mapped, they will probably get to it soon.

Another AerVu question.....Just got my first AerVu course mapped a few days ago. I haven't been to the course to check it out yet but heres what I see on the GG4 from inside my home.

When I look at the overhead map, it has a "mark" on the green.....a "movable mark" in the middle of the fairway.....and a mark on the "TeeBox". The mark on the teebox seems to be "locked" on the teebox that is furthest back.

Was wondering, since I haven't played this course since getting the AerVu map, If I play from the center teebox or forward teebox, will this "mark" move automatically up to whatever teebox that I decide to play from?.....or is it permanently locked on the furthest back teebox. I checked all the holes on this course and they are all marked from the back teeboxes.

Also, I have made modifications to the "standard version" of this course in the past, adding marks and modifying marks. My version has the usual "My" designation with it now. Does this mean I can't add the AerVu maps to the "My" course and that the AerVu maps will only work on the GG4's original "unmodified" courses?

I emailed the Guru folks a few days ago with this question but the "quick responses" from them are becoming a thing of the past.

Thanks for any help
JW

[quote name='jwknow' post='1973942' date='Sep 26 2009, 11:19 PM']Another AerVu question.....Just got my first AerVu course mapped a few days ago. I haven't been to the course to check it out yet but heres what I see on the GG4 from inside my home.

When I look at the overhead map, it has a "mark" on the green.....a "movable mark" in the middle of the fairway.....and a mark on the "TeeBox". The mark on the teebox seems to be "locked" on the teebox that is furthest back.

Was wondering, since I haven't played this course since getting the AerVu map, If I play from the center teebox or forward teebox, will this "mark" move automatically up to whatever teebox that I decide to play from?.....or is it permanently locked on the furthest back teebox. I checked all the holes on this course and they are all marked from the back teeboxes.

Also, I have made modifications to the "standard version" of this course in the past, adding marks and modifying marks. My version has the usual "My" designation with it now. Does this mean I can't add the AerVu maps to the "My" course and that the AerVu maps will only work on the GG4's original "unmodified" courses?

I emailed the Guru folks a few days ago with this question but the "quick responses" from them are becoming a thing of the past.

Thanks for any help
JW[/quote]

I can't help with the tee box question, but have you tried to select the tee box you want in the "Hole Selection" screen?

Regarding contacting Guru I have had better luck contacting them on the phone. Emails usually take days for a reply. I am guessing emails are low priority. I have had no problem getting someone on the phone and when requesting course mapping I usually get a reply back that day and usually with the course mapping accomplished.

Rick

[quote name='jwknow' post='1973942' date='Sep 26 2009, 10:19 PM']When I look at the overhead map, it has a "mark" on the green.....a "movable mark" in the middle of the fairway.....and a mark on the "TeeBox". The mark on the teebox seems to be "locked" on the teebox that is furthest back.

Was wondering, since I haven't played this course since getting the AerVu map, If I play from the center teebox or forward teebox, will this "mark" move automatically up to whatever teebox that I decide to play from?.....or is it permanently locked on the furthest back teebox. I checked all the holes on this course and they are all marked from the back teeboxes.[/quote]
The mark will show from the furtherest tees [u]until[/u] you get to the course and select your course. Then the GPS kicks in. Upon arriving at the tee box of your choice, the mark will show your exact location.

[quote name='Rickochet' post='1974231' date='Sep 27 2009, 08:27 AM'][quote name='jwknow' post='1973942' date='Sep 26 2009, 11:19 PM']Another AerVu question.....Just got my first AerVu course mapped a few days ago. I haven't been to the course to check it out yet but heres what I see on the GG4 from inside my home.

Thanks for any help
JW[/quote]

I can't help with the tee box question, but have you tried to select the tee box you want in the "Hole Selection" screen?

Rick

[/quote]

Yea....tried that. Didn't help.

JW

[quote name='ChoppingBrocolli' post='1974281' date='Sep 27 2009, 09:22 AM'][quote name='jwknow' post='1973942' date='Sep 26 2009, 10:19 PM']When I look at the overhead map, it has a "mark" on the green.....a "movable mark" in the middle of the fairway.....and a mark on the "TeeBox". The mark on the teebox seems to be "locked" on the teebox that is furthest back.

Was wondering, since I haven't played this course since getting the AerVu map, If I play from the center teebox or forward teebox, will this "mark" move automatically up to whatever teebox that I decide to play from?.....or is it permanently locked on the furthest back teebox. I checked all the holes on this course and they are all marked from the back teeboxes.[/quote]
The mark will show from the furtherest tees [u]until[/u] you get to the course and select your course. Then the GPS kicks in. Upon arriving at the tee box of your choice, the mark will show your exact location.
[/quote]

Thanks.....I drove to the course today and you were right. When I got close to the forward tee boxes it changed. Too bad it's been raining for the past two days and I can't actually golf but nice to know it wasn't "locked" in on the back teebox.

JW

They're selling these on Amazon?

[url="http://www.amazon.com/Golf-Guru-Rangefinder-Multi-application-capabilities/dp/B002DE8JK4"]Golf Guru on Amazon?[/url]

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Tour 65 Stiff
Srixon Z85 5 wood
Tour Edge Exotics EX10 3 Hybrid
Bridgestone Tour B JGR HF2 5-AW
Cleveland RTX 4 52 58
Ping Ketch

[quote name='Rickochet' post='1914927' date='Aug 26 2009, 08:35 AM']I finally got an Aervu map for my home course. I played a round with it and I am not very impressed with it. It shows the hole with small red squares which are the mapped points which are shown on the other screens. The problem is that you can't hardly see the red squares in the bright sunlight. The Aervu maps contain very little detail. I think I used it twice in the round. You also have to hit the view button to get off of the Aervu screen and get to another screen. Lots of button pushing. If you got the G4 mainly for the Aervu maps I think that you will be disappointed. Getting the maps free was nice but I would be really pissed if I had paid for them. In general, I think the Aervu maps are more of a pain in the a** than useful. I will probably ditch them and go back to the standard maps.[/quote]

I agree with everything you've said. I got and used my first AerVu map today and only used it maybe twice just to check it out. I found no real use for these maps.

The square box that you can move around on the screen to check distances is TOO BIG to be useful. It's WAY to big for the size of the map on the screen. It's just in the way. If you move it to the middle of a green or to the edge of a hazard, to check the distance, it covers the whole area and makes it hard to figure whether or not you have it positioned in the right spot. It needs to be nothing more than a "point" that can be moved around.

I may be able to find a use for the AerVu maps if they would use the "small red squares" for what they were intended....touch them with the stylus for an instant yardage reading. I also would have been extremely p*ssed if I had paid for these AerVu maps. Don't get me wrong....I really have learned to like the Guru 4 but for what they were originally going to charge for the AerVu maps.....as they are now....they're not worth anything in my opinion. More of an inconvenience than an asset. They're cute but in my opinion....useless.

JW

[quote name='jwknow' post='1980828' date='Sep 30 2009, 06:17 PM'][quote name='Rickochet' post='1914927' date='Aug 26 2009, 08:35 AM']I finally got an Aervu map for my home course. I played a round with it and I am not very impressed with it. It shows the hole with small red squares which are the mapped points which are shown on the other screens. The problem is that you can't hardly see the red squares in the bright sunlight. The Aervu maps contain very little detail. I think I used it twice in the round. You also have to hit the view button to get off of the Aervu screen and get to another screen. Lots of button pushing. If you got the G4 mainly for the Aervu maps I think that you will be disappointed. Getting the maps free was nice but I would be really pissed if I had paid for them. In general, I think the Aervu maps are more of a pain in the a** than useful. I will probably ditch them and go back to the standard maps.[/quote]

I agree with everything you've said. I got and used my first AerVu map today and only used it maybe twice just to check it out. I found no real use for these maps.

The square box that you can move around on the screen to check distances is TOO BIG to be useful. It's WAY to big for the size of the map on the screen. It's just in the way. If you move it to the middle of a green or to the edge of a hazard, to check the distance, it covers the whole area and makes it hard to figure whether or not you have it positioned in the right spot. It needs to be nothing more than a "point" that can be moved around.

I may be able to find a use for the AerVu maps if they would use the "small red squares" for what they were intended....touch them with the stylus for an instant yardage reading. I also would have been extremely p*ssed if I had paid for these AerVu maps. Don't get me wrong....I really have learned to like the Guru 4 but for what they were originally going to charge for the AerVu maps.....as they are now....they're not worth anything in my opinion. More of an inconvenience than an asset. They're cute but in my opinion....useless.

JW
[/quote]

You are not the first to make that observation. Among other reasons, I think that is why they have given everyone so many credits towards those maps. I believe they are working on some things that will make the AerVu maps more useful. However, who knows how long that will take.

The other thing they need to do for those who have owned previous Gurus is to make the user mapped courses available for every Guru one has owned. As it stands right now, the extensive editing I did for my home course, adding and subtracting targets, can only be downloaded to the device I did the mapping with, the G003. As a result, I don't use the Guru4 when playing my home course even though I really like the better use of color and the more easily readable target screens.

[quote name='phil75070' post='1981069' date='Sep 30 2009, 09:10 PM'][quote name='jwknow' post='1980828' date='Sep 30 2009, 06:17 PM'][quote name='Rickochet' post='1914927' date='Aug 26 2009, 08:35 AM']I finally got an Aervu map for my home course. I played a round with it and I am not very impressed with it. It shows the hole with small red squares which are the mapped points which are shown on the other screens. The problem is that you can't hardly see the red squares in the bright sunlight. The Aervu maps contain very little detail. I think I used it twice in the round. You also have to hit the view button to get off of the Aervu screen and get to another screen. Lots of button pushing. If you got the G4 mainly for the Aervu maps I think that you will be disappointed. Getting the maps free was nice but I would be really pissed if I had paid for them. In general, I think the Aervu maps are more of a pain in the a** than useful. I will probably ditch them and go back to the standard maps.[/quote]

JW
[/quote]

The other thing they need to do for those who have owned previous Gurus is to make the user mapped courses available for every Guru one has owned. As it stands right now, the extensive editing I did for my home course, adding and subtracting targets, can only be downloaded to the device I did the mapping with, the G003. As a result, I don't use the Guru4 when playing my home course even though I really like the better use of color and the more easily readable target screens.

[/quote]

I sure agree with that statement. I had the GG2 before getting the GG4. Sold the GG2 to a friend. Of course, when he put it in his name and registered it, it wiped out all the local courses that I had on it that I had made several modifications to. Now with the GG4, I have to re-do all the mapping and editing that I had done on my local courses that were on the GG2. It's a lotta trouble. Would have been nice to transfer all the info from my GG2 to my GG4.

JW