2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

New Golf Guru 4

Just received an e-mail with the following. Looks like a cool unit. Already ordered mine, unfortunatley won't start shipping until June 25.

Dubbed the GURU 4 SoftTouch for its 3.5 inch, high-resolution color touch screen, this new model has many exciting new features and will, initially, be priced lower than the current Color GURU 3 unit. We are attaching a preliminary brochure with more details on this new offering.

The Guru 4 SoftTouch includes all the features found in our original grayscale and color models. The Guru 4 will be able to access our current “Standard” map database, which now has over 20,000 courses (no fees for these maps). In addition, we will be offering our new AerVu (Aerial View) maps as an option. The AerVu maps have a full, tee to green graphical view of the hole and incorporate our "Shot Plan" feature that allows you to get a distance from your location to any point on the hole, while showing the remaining distance to the center of the green from the point you pick. Some of the other exciting features of the new Guru 4 are the capability to act as a full featured vehicle navigation system (software optional – coming soon), along with the included ability to play music, play videos, and view pictures. We thank-you for your consideration of the color Golf Guru as your golf GPS solution, and we hope you will take advantage of our great introductory offer

Mike

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike, what is the MSRP on the Guru4?

Rick

Introductory price is $359.95

Not bad considering all the features. Looks like a cool item, and based on all the feedback here they have awesome customer service.

Wow that seems like a great price considering the price of other touch screen units. I am not a Guru owner so I am not on their email list. I don't see any info on their website about it yet. Is this an upgrade price for current Guru customers only?

Edited: I just checked the Golf Guru Website and the new unit is now there.

For those interested in the Guru 4 be advised that they do not currently have a cart mount or holster to fit it. The unit dimensions are 3" x 4" x 1" for anyone intested in getting another type of mount. There are some cradles at gpscity.com that open to 3.5" that you can attach either can mount or rail mount. theclip.com also has the cradles.

http://www.theclip.com/Large-Gripmatic-Cradle-p-16234.html

http://www.gpscity.com/item-npi-plastic-un...radle/ramholun2

• 3 weeks later...
Just received an e-mail with the following. Looks like a cool unit. Already ordered mine, unfortunatley won't start shipping until June 25.

Dubbed the GURU 4 SoftTouch for its 3.5 inch, high-resolution color touch screen, this new model has many exciting new features and will, initially, be priced lower than the current Color GURU 3 unit. We are attaching a preliminary brochure with more details on this new offering.

The Guru 4 SoftTouch includes all the features found in our original grayscale and color models. The Guru 4 will be able to access our current "Standard" map database, which now has over 20,000 courses (no fees for these maps). In addition, we will be offering our new AerVu (Aerial View) maps as an option. The AerVu maps have a full, tee to green graphical view of the hole and incorporate our "Shot Plan" feature that allows you to get a distance from your location to any point on the hole, while showing the remaining distance to the center of the green from the point you pick. Some of the other exciting features of the new Guru 4 are the capability to act as a full featured vehicle navigation system (software optional – coming soon), along with the included ability to play music, play videos, and view pictures. We thank-you for your consideration of the color Golf Guru as your golf GPS solution, and we hope you will take advantage of our great introductory offer

Mike

Is the new Guru 4 shipping now??

I researched almost every GPS model on the market (over a four week period) while deciding which one I would purchase. I read a lot of (and I mean a lot) of posts on this board. I finally decided on the Guru4, but had some reservations about owning one of the "launch" models. I asked the question of their sales team 4 different times as recently as last Friday... "Will you be shipping on the 29th as advertised?" and the emphatically stated several times that they were in fact, ON SCHEDULE. I just spoke with one of their customer service reps and they have not shipped the first unit as of 4:45 EST, today the 29th. He said that they would try to start shipping tomorrow, and hopefully have them all shipped by the end of the week. He told me not to expect my unit until next week! NOT the way to start off a relationship, in my book. Hopefully their device will live up to the hype posted on this board. So far, their service has not.

Well I hope that they start shipping as well tomorrow. Sounds like a great product, and I as well as you have researched every product on the market and the Guru line just seems to give you that extra bit that makes it that much better. I played with a few fellows in Myrtle Beach a couple of months ago on an outing and they were using the Guru's and I just loved how accurate and so many features they had. Almost bought one then but glad that I waited since the 4 is out now with even more features! But no matter where you look on the web the customer service is just plain excellent. You just can't say that with any other gps product that I have had over the last 3 or 4 years!

I researched almost every GPS model on the market (over a four week period) while deciding which one I would purchase. I read a lot of (and I mean a lot) of posts on this board. I finally decided on the Guru4, but had some reservations about owning one of the "launch" models. I asked the question of their sales team 4 different times as recently as last Friday... "Will you be shipping on the 29th as advertised?" and the emphatically stated several times that they were in fact, ON SCHEDULE. I just spoke with one of their customer service reps and they have not shipped the first unit as of 4:45 EST, today the 29th. He said that they would try to start shipping tomorrow, and hopefully have them all shipped by the end of the week. He told me not to expect my unit until next week! NOT the way to start off a relationship, in my book. Hopefully their device will live up to the hype posted on this board. So far, their service has not.

Thanks for the heads up! I also pre-order the Guru 4. Hopefully I will be able to play with this week since I live in Texas. Priority mail should take no more than 3 days here. Sorry to hear that you are not going to receive the Guru this week. I started playing golf again, after a few years off, and I have to say that the technology has changed a lot. I'm very excited and waiting patiently for the Guru.

Well, Golf Guru has posted on their website that they are delaying the shipment of any guru4 units until next week. So AT LEAST one week delay. I wager that we can count on at least two weeks before any are shipped.

It just really gripes me that I asked them THREE DIFFERENT TIMES before I ordered, "Will you be shipping on the 29th?" and THREE TIMES they answered "YES!" The last time that they told me they were DEFINITLEY shipping on the 29th was Firday June 26th!

Not the way to start a relationship with this customer! I hope their product doesn't disappoint me as much as their customer service has to this point. If it does, I will be exercising my money back guarentee option.

A question for all of you brave, pre-launch Guru-4 purchasers: Have you checked their website to see if they have ANY AerVu-mapped courses that you play? I just went through 29 pages of courses in NC and there was not a single one that was AerVu-mapped. All they had were the Standard-mapped courses, which I think means that I could not even use the "touchscreen" for any of those courses as they would have NO Pictures of any of the holes -- just the verbal description / yardages. I know I must be wrong in this assessment, as there is NO WAY they could sell a Golf GPS without ANY courses mapped (for purchase) that could be used with it's touchscreen; otherwise, why would anyone purchase THIS model instead of the Guru-1. Please explain. Thank you.

A question for all of you brave, pre-launch Guru-4 purchasers: Have you checked their website to see if they have ANY AerVu-mapped courses that you play? I just went through 29 pages of courses in NC and there was not a single one that was AerVu-mapped. All they had were the Standard-mapped courses, which I think means that I could not even use the "touchscreen" for any of those courses as they would have NO Pictures of any of the holes -- just the verbal description / yardages. I know I must be wrong in this assessment, as there is NO WAY they could sell a Golf GPS without ANY courses mapped (for purchase) that could be used with it's touchscreen; otherwise, why would anyone purchase THIS model instead of the Guru-1. Please explain. Thank you.

Just a thought, but maybe the site/database doesn't show the compatibility with the Guru 4. I checked the first 10 pages for Texas and none of them show with the AerVu. We will have to check the site/database again once they start shipping the units. Of course, I could be wrong.

The AerVu courses won't show up until you register your GG4 unit. I already had a course done by request for my home course and have received a reply from GG that it was done and ready to go. So I would assume that when you add your GG4 to the my Guru's the AerVu courses will show up or you can request them be done. They did mine in 3 or 4 days and they haven't even shipped yet. Just wanted to have mine done by the time they ship...

The AerVu courses won't show up until you register your GG4 unit. I already had a course done by request for my home course and have received a reply from GG that it was done and ready to go. So I would assume that when you add your GG4 to the my Guru's the AerVu courses will show up or you can request them be done. They did mine in 3 or 4 days and they haven't even shipped yet. Just wanted to have mine done by the time they ship...

Looking for a replacement for my Neo I pre-ordered the Guru 4 based on all of the positive input about their equipment and support. I noticed that one course I will play in two weeks on a trip is not in their database. I sent a request this morning to have the course mapped. I got an email back this afternoon that it was done. How good is that? I haven't even received the Guru yet and registered it. The recent delay in shipping is a bit of a bummer but this is a great reinforcement for me about Guru support.

Rick

Never mind. i looked at the site again, and it has the fees listed for credits/packages(single/multiple). Just won the biggest loser weigh in at my job for $500, and am thinking of taking the plunge on this one. Was gonna get the golf buddy, but think i'll reconsider. I also like the fact that you'll be able to use this for a regular navigation gps when the software comes out! Music, videos, golf, and navigation...hmmm...yep.

Never mind. i looked at the site again, and it has the fees listed for credits/packages(single/multiple). Just won the biggest loser weigh in at my job for $500, and am thinking of taking the plunge on this one. Was gonna get the golf buddy, but think i'll reconsider. I also like the fact that you'll be able to use this for a regular navigation gps when the software comes out! Music, videos, golf, and navigation...hmmm...yep.

The best deal is from InTheHoleGolf.com. They list it for $359 with free shipping and you get an additional 10% discount for being a forum member. I don't know the Golfwrx code but you can put in FGI10 or 4GEA10 in the coupon box at checkout and it brings it down to about $324 shipped.

http://www.intheholegolf.com/store/guru-4.html

Wow! Another delay? I knew there was a reason that on my earlier posts in this and other threads I said that the dealy was "at least" one week.

Email from the President of GG himself last week stated that alll units had been 100% verified and were in transit. He said the units would be in GG's hands either Monday (7/6/09) or Tuesday (7/7/09). Don't know what to make of this, but I am going to call when they open for an update. I bet those guys will be very glad when this "launch" is over and the phone stops ringing for a couple of days.

Anyway, shipping delay is 9 days and counting.

I had this same thing happen to me with another product. The company knew when the product would be arriving from the manufacturer and based everything on the customs being a routine delay. The delay was much longer than expected for no apparent reason and this made both parties look bad even though it was not their fault. In the dealings I have had with GG they have been above and beyond most companies.

I have not ordered yet, but am waiting and torn between the grayscale and the new 4. I did receive an email from Chad @ support saying that if your course is already available for download in standard mapping, then they have the necessary imagery for aervu mapping for that course. In other words, if you can get your course now, you can get the new aervu. My patience for them to get the product in is wearing thin, tho. I know it may not be their fault with customs, but we are not talking about steroids or drugs here. How hard can it be to get an electronic device inspected? Maybe customs has to try each unit out personally? It would be nice to see someone post an email confirmation for shipment soon! :russian_roulette:

I have not ordered yet, but am waiting and torn between the grayscale and the new 4. I did receive an email from Chad @ support saying that if your course is already available for download in standard mapping, then they have the necessary imagery for aervu mapping for that course. In other words, if you can get your course now, you can get the new aervu. My patience for them to get the product in is wearing thin, tho. I know it may not be their fault with customs, but we are not talking about steroids or drugs here. How hard can it be to get an electronic device inspected? Maybe customs has to try each unit out personally? It would be nice to see someone post an email confirmation for shipment soon! :russian_roulette:

I purchased the grayscale with the intention on upgrading to the Guru 4. I have used the grayscale for 3 rounds and have been very pleased with the unit. If I had gotten one of the refirbs at $199 I might consider keeping it. But because I paid $249, it is difficult to pass up the new model for only $110 more.

I purchased the grayscale with the intention on upgrading to the Guru 4. I have used the grayscale for 3 rounds and have been very pleased with the unit. If I had gotten one of the refirbs at $199 I might consider keeping it. But because I paid $249, it is difficult to pass up the new model for only $110 more.

I'm on the notification list for the refurb since they are out of stock for now. Go ahead and send yours in and I'll get that one. :D

My patience for them to get the product in is wearing thin, tho. I know it may not be their fault with customs, but we are not talking about steroids or drugs here. How hard can it be to get an electronic device inspected?

My patience is wearing thin also. They have had my money for a month. I guess I misunderstood but I thought their equipment was made in the USA. So who fixes stuff if it breaks? Do they have to send it back to China? This is the first time I have ever pre-ordered anything and it will be my last.