2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

New Golf Guru 4

I have been trying to decide between the G-2 and the G-4. The initail reviews do not look promising for the G-4. Please continue to post your impressions and your opinions on witch is the better unit. By the way what is up with no G-2's available new??? Is this unit going away??? :black eye:

Good question. It looks like they no longer offer the G003 color unit which, I guess, makes sense given how close the G003 and the new G004 are in price. I wonder how many new G002s they sold compared to refurbished units during the previous upgrade program. They may just not be stocking any new grayscales until they feel they have seen the vast majority of trade ins as given the choice I suspect most people have gone for the cheaper refurb units. I do think it would be a mistake to not have the more basic and lower cost G002 in their product line up.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok guys, I have real issue with the GG4. I took it outside and find it hard to see the screen in the bright sunlight. It has the screen protector on it but the screen reflects light like a mirror.

I would like to hear from others who have used the GG4 out in the bright sun. This could be a deal breaker.

Rick

Edited : My earlier test of the G4 was with the factory battery charge which was one bar. I am not sure if that had any bearing on my earlier observations or not. I took it back out in my backyard with a 3 bar charge with bright sunlight and under an umbrella which I guess would be similar to a cart and the screen was just fine. My wife took it out in the sunlight and said she could see it just fine. Anywho, I will have it on the course tomorrow and will compare it to my cart mate's Golf Buddy Pro.

The more I tinker with the GG4 I really like the ease of use and the touch screen. If the screen visability passes the field test tomorrow I think GG has a real winner here even if peeps don't use the Aervu options.

I took both my G002 and G004 out to the driving range and I figured I would actually map the range as hole 1 with a fake "green" at the end of the range and mark every flag as a target so I could get accurate readings to these flags from the daily tee strip. Well both of them bombed and failed the custom mapping. The G004 was an epic fail. Clearly no one has tested custom mapping at the guru folks. The G002 faired better, I think it actually has mapped the range but for some reason when I decide to "play" the hole it only shows my distance to the "green" and none of the distances to my targets. It's kind of jacked up.

I have sent a support e-mail regarding this issue along with some others, I hope to get a response.

On a completely subjective note, the G004 feels more and more like a brick compared to the G002. So if your eyes can bear it the G002 would be definitely the way to go. I'm leaning more and more towards the return of the G004. I held it in my pocket while at the range and it was nowhere near as pleasant as the G002. I found the visibility of the G004 fine in broad daylight at high noon in Texas, however I think I prefer the reflective lit black and white LCD of the G002. The G002 had its own problem when I kept it in the full sun for extended periods while walking from target to target, by the time I got back in the shade the LCD started to get really dark on me and visibility in the shade was compromised.

I'll keep everyone posted on the mapping and other issues that I've been having.

Hey all,

Got my new G4 yesterday. Pretty cool but like others have stated I'll have to run it through it's pace's to find out how it works. I put an SD card and loaded some music and a couple of videos on it and they worked great. I don't know how much I'll actually use these features but it's still cool. Also, I walk when I play so finding a carrying case with a clear front that will clip to my bag could be tough.

I'll be taking both the G2 and the G4 out for a tourney tomorrow. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Update:

Tested the course mapper tonight and GTakacs is right it doesn't work on the G4. I have mapped my back yard and others many times with the G2 with no problems. GTakacs let me know what you find out. I made like four courses but none show up in the course play list. Every time I save it also changes the name to "MY ". Will try the course edit feature on the course tomorrow and let everyone know how that works. :beruo:

Hey all,

Got my new G4 yesterday. Pretty cool but like others have stated I'll have to run it through it's pace's to find out how it works. I put an SD card and loaded some music and a couple of videos on it and they worked great. I don't know how much I'll actually use these features but it's still cool. Also, I walk when I play so finding a carrying case with a clear front that will clip to my bag could be tough.

I'll be taking both the G2 and the G4 out for a tourney tomorrow. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Check out the GG website for the GG4 accessories that they just uploaded yesterday. I think they have a clip and a pouch for the GG4.

Every time I save it also changes the name to "MY ".

That is the functionality that has always exited. For example, when you "edit" a downloaded course you are actually editing a copy of that course that has been renamed with the "MY" designation to distinguish it from the original.

Every time I save it also changes the name to "MY ".

That is the functionality that has always exited. For example, when you "edit" a downloaded course you are actually editing a copy of that course that has been renamed with the "MY" designation to distinguish it from the original.

No, this time it's different. The name of the new course will be "My" with nothing after it.

Will try the course edit feature on the course tomorrow and let everyone know how that works. :beruo:

Course edit will not work either. None of the Guru built courses show up in the list when you try to load an existing course in the course mapper for modification. Only the ones you have built will show up and even those will not load, you will only get the "My" rename and that's it.

Here is part of the e-mail I have sent to guru support today:

I have tried to map a course manually today with both the G004 and the G002. It's actually a driving range and I just wanted to mark all the target flags with a "fake green" on hole 1 at the end of the range so I can tell how far I am from all the yardage flags as they are measured from the mats but we're hitting from different strips of grass every day. I went ahead and selected Menu->Map Golf Course-Course->Create Course and made a new course called Driving Range. Then I proceeded to mark three flags on the left, draw a green and mark three flags on the right coming back to the tees. I saved the course but it does not show up in the course list. As a matter of fact none of the manually mapped courses show up, the ones that the unit came pre-loaded with are hidden as well ("Blackhawk Golf Club_Blackhawk Golf Club_252924_20090619122535.gcd", "Circle C Ranch Golf Course_11730_20090709173725.gcd" and "Golf Links Course at Pebble Beach_1687_20090709173725.gcd"). They are on the unit in the \Guru4\courses directory but they don't show up in the selectable course list.

If I try to edit the courses, the ones that were pre-loaded don't show up in the loadable list even though they do on my G002. If I try to load the one ("Driving Range") I just made it does not load either. I get a new blank course called "My" and the entire data is blank and gone missing. I have made 4 personal courses and they all load the same "My" blank course if I try to edit them so it's not a 0 index issue in an array, it's something worse. If I try to rename a course, the course name gets duplicated with an "_" in between the duplicate. So If I want to rename "My" to "My Course" it gets renamed to "My Course_My Course" instead. as of right now, the mapping feature is totally broken and does not work since I can create a map but there is no way to recall it to edit it or there is no way to play it

FWIW I'm a software engineer by profession specializing in real time data processing and user interface design and I can tell this product was rushed out in a "let's port this thing onto the new hardware ASAP and forget about testing" manner.

Productivity went down today at work playing with the GG4. Unfortunately not able to test it on the course, but did check it out in bright sunlight. The screen went fairly unreadable when it dimmed, but a quick tap on the screen popped it back and very readable.

Also picked up a 8 gig SD card at Sam's club for $20 bucks about the same at Microcenter. Started shooting a cell phone photo of business foursomes and it will be cool to have them on the GG.

Agree with the previous poster about the non-GG apps. Been a while since I checked CE apps, but its fairly humorous to search. Most are broken links and 1998 apps.

Just give me software upgrades, cheaper AerVu pricing and the same excellent customer service and the the iPod / cell phone industry do the rest.

Well I must say that I am bit disappointed with some of the comments. On the bright side GG is known for customer service and getting things fixed. I am sure that they will be pushing out updates to take care of the issues.

In the meantime I will continue to use my G002 and wait for the improvements.

FWIW - Golf Guru is the best GPS I have used to date.

I have been using a G002 (with the scoring feature) almost everyday since December and was excited about receiving my G4 upgrade in the mail yesterday. Today I tested it out. I was familiar with the selection buttons even though they are now touch screen. I didn't have trouble navigating through the menus.

However, it is hard to read the screen in the sunlight. I walk, so I am not shielded by the shade of a cart roof. Maybe I need to increase the backlight to a higher level.

Initial reaction is that I am not sure I will keep the G4. A few more uses and I will have a better feel for the new machine.

Hot in Texas

One more thing my buddy and I were pondering today on our way to the driving range: The biggest benefit of AverVue would not be on your daily course. It would be on the course you have never played before and have no idea where the doglegs are going or what's behind the hill. On the course I play on a weekly basis I'm pretty comfortable as to where I would want to hit the ball for a lay-up or to get back on track from a shanked driver shot. But I'm going to be very reluctant to pay $7 minimum every time I plan on playing a new course...

However, it is hard to read the screen in the sunlight. I walk, so I am not shielded by the shade of a cart roof. Maybe I need to increase the backlight to a higher level.

Did you have any problems reading it after you brought the brightness back up? I was thinking that it looked pretty bright unless the backlight timed out. Depending on the battery life, you could turn up the brightness all of the time, but I mount the GPS on the push cart and a quick tap of the screen seems to bring it back up. Can't wait to get it on the course.

Did you have any problems reading it after you brought the brightness back up? I was thinking that it looked pretty bright unless the backlight timed out. Depending on the battery life, you could turn up the brightness all of the time, but I mount the GPS on the push cart and a quick tap of the screen seems to bring it back up. Can't wait to get it on the course.

I hate to keep tapping the screen to bring the brightness back up everytime I need info. I plan to use mine today with the brighness up all the way with no time out. I wish we had some documentation that told us how long the battery lasts in various configurations.

I used the G4 in the sun with only about 50% backlight power in fear that I might drain the battery. I would have tried to change the power setting during my round, but I was afraid that I might lose my scoring data (I think you need to turn the power off to reset the light level). I will try it again today with 100%.

On another note, the unit is a lot larger than my G002 and since I keep it in my pants pocket when I play, it will take a bit of getting used to the larger cargo in my pants pocket.

A current Negative...There are just a handful of courses that have AerVu capability. The courses that I play are currently "Pending". I really can't judge how this works until I download a AerVu and use it.

I am getting tired of waiting for the gray scale to come into stock. I have been considering the Sonocaddy V300 instead, but I see it does not have Intella green or its equivulant. I don't currently have a GPS so can any of you tell me how usefull the intella green feature is and is there any horror stories about the V300. At 229 at dicks it looks pretty attractive.

IMO the Intelligreen function is extremely useful if you are the kind of person that checks the pin position before you start play. Knowing if the flag is up front, middle, or back and then being able to adjust the pin position from there is a huge advantage considering the size of some greens nowadays.

Now if you just try to play to the middle of the green every time, then no, I don't think it is very valuable. I'd still like to have it in case I decided to start trying to fire at the flag though somewhere down the line :)

I am getting tired of waiting for the gray scale to come into stock. I have been considering the Sonocaddy V300 instead, but I see it does not have Intella green or its equivulant. I don't currently have a GPS so can any of you tell me how usefull the intella green feature is and is there any horror stories about the V300. At 229 at dicks it looks pretty attractive.

I have the G002 and love it. In my opinion (an 18 handicapper) the most important feature is to have near & far distances that are calculated based the green shape and your approach angle. Is it critical to be able to move the pin? Not really for me, because I think you can estimate it when you have the near, far & center green distances.

I would wait for the G002, but if you can not wait, like I did tell a friend...look at the V300, at $229 seems like a serious look.

I used the G4 in the sun with only about 50% backlight power in fear that I might drain the battery. I would have tried to change the power setting during my round, but I was afraid that I might lose my scoring data (I think you need to turn the power off to reset the light level). I will try it again today with 100%.

Another shortcoming and problem with the fact that the Guru Software is just a straight port of the G002 application running on top of another platform. Once you exit the Golf Guru App it restarts and goes to the beginning again when you start it up again. So forget about listening to some tunes while on the course or adjusting your brightness level, it's just not possible.

On another note, the unit is a lot larger than my G002 and since I keep it in my pants pocket when I play, it will take a bit of getting used to the larger cargo in my pants pocket.

I agree again. While the unit is shorter it's definitely a lot thicker and wider making it feel a lot bulkier. While the G002 feels like a cell phone, the Guru 4 is more like a brick.

Hi all, I just got back from a tourney at one of my local courses. I used both the G2 and the new G4 side by side. The good news is that the two units are almost spot on when it come to distances. Here is my rundown of my first trek out with the G4.

The screen is bigger than the G2 and that part I really like. I didn't find it any more difficult to see in the sunlight than the G2 but I also have the dimmer set to "Never".

I charged the G4 fully the night before so it had a full charge at the start of the round. I powered up the G4 about 5 min before the round and showed my playing partners a quick Megan Fox video just to show off the cool new GPS. :man_in_love: Wink wink. I set the screen dimmer to "Never" so that I didn't have to worry about needing to touch the screen during play. I didn't use the stats or scoring and set my unit to auto advance so I didn't have to do much screen pushing. On the 13th hole about 3 hours in I noticed that I only had one power bar left. By the 15th hole 3 ½ hours the battery meter was red (low battery). The unit never turned off but by the 17th and 18th holes the distances were off by 10 to 15 yards, compared to the G2. It does appear that you will have to charge the G4 before every round and if you are going to play 36 in a day you may not have it at the end. I am going to play again tomorrow and set the screen dimmer to "2 min" and see how much that increases the battery life. I'll let everyone know how that goes.

I had the G4 in an old binocular case that fit it almost perfect. Occasionally when I would remove it from the case I would accidently press a button on the screen and need to select the hole and press play. The touchscreen is very sensitive (maybe too sensitive) and I don't think that part is adjustable. It's no big deal because it's so easy to hit a couple buttons and be right back in play mode. I'm sure with more use I'll learn not to bump the screen buttons.

There is a lot to love about the unit so far. It's accurate, easy to use, easy to read and fun to show off to your golf buddies. If minimizing the dimmer can increase the battery life and I'm sure GG will fix the course editing problems then I will probably keep the G4. But if the battery still dies after 4 hours or so even with minimal dimmer delay then that will not work for me because when we go on vacation we will often play 36 holes a day.

PS. I still haven't heard from GG support about the course editing and mapping problems.

That's all for now, Hit 'em short and crooked.

I just got the v300. it doesn't have the intelligreen, but I don't care. I can't shoot the ball in the hole from the air anyway! Dick's is $229 with an ADDITIONAL 25%-50% off right now. Again, the intelligreen is an overrated feature if you have common sense. I talked to a seperate retailer who sold golf gurus, and he told me that the G002 will phase out, but still be functional as with the G003. I got tired of waiting for the refurbs., so I got the v300. I don't have one complaint! Whatever gps you decide on, check the available courses FIRST! That is the biggest complaint of ALL gps units. All of mine are already mapped for the v300, so that was a plus! Good luck in choosing the right one.

Hi all, I just got back from a tourney at one of my local courses. I used both the G2 and the new G4 side by side. The good news is that the two units are almost spot on when it come to distances. Here is my rundown of my first trek out with the G4.

The screen is bigger than the G2 and that part I really like. I didn't find it any more difficult to see in the sunlight than the G2 but I also have the dimmer set to "Never".

I charged the G4 fully the night before so it had a full charge at the start of the round. I powered up the G4 about 5 min before the round and showed my playing partners a quick Megan Fox video just to show off the cool new GPS. :man_in_love: Wink wink. I set the screen dimmer to "Never" so that I didn't have to worry about needing to touch the screen during play. I didn't use the stats or scoring and set my unit to auto advance so I didn't have to do much screen pushing. On the 13th hole about 3 hours in I noticed that I only had one power bar left. By the 15th hole 3 ½ hours the battery meter was red (low battery). The unit never turned off but by the 17th and 18th holes the distances were off by 10 to 15 yards, compared to the G2. It does appear that you will have to charge the G4 before every round and if you are going to play 36 in a day you may not have it at the end. I am going to play again tomorrow and set the screen dimmer to "2 min" and see how much that increases the battery life. I'll let everyone know how that goes.

I had the G4 in an old binocular case that fit it almost perfect. Occasionally when I would remove it from the case I would accidently press a button on the screen and need to select the hole and press play. The touchscreen is very sensitive (maybe too sensitive) and I don't think that part is adjustable. It's no big deal because it's so easy to hit a couple buttons and be right back in play mode. I'm sure with more use I'll learn not to bump the screen buttons.

There is a lot to love about the unit so far. It's accurate, easy to use, easy to read and fun to show off to your golf buddies. If minimizing the dimmer can increase the battery life and I'm sure GG will fix the course editing problems then I will probably keep the G4. But if the battery still dies after 4 hours or so even with minimal dimmer delay then that will not work for me because when we go on vacation we will often play 36 holes a day.

PS. I still haven't heard from GG support about the course editing and mapping problems.

I was going to post about my first round today with the Guru 4 but all I have to do is "ditto" the above post. I left my screen on bright with no dimming not wanting to have to hit the screen every time I want a distance. The battery indicator has four bars. Just into the back nine at a bit under 2 hours I only had one bar. On the 17th green at about 3:45 the indicator went red. The unit kept working ok for our 3:55 round but I was a bit disappointed in the battery life. I will try to use the dimming function next round and see if it is as big of a PITA as I think it will be.

One of my biggest concerns before the round today was the screen viewability outside. I held it up to a bud's Golf Buddy Tour and the Guru 4 screen was brighter. So for me that is now a non issue.

My only b**** is the battery duration. It is easy to use and very easy for my 60 year old eyes to see. I had the unit on the cart dash in the ball tray and had absolutely no problem seeing everything. I found that I liked the target view screen best which is the default screen that pops up. I pretty much found the Smart Green function useless. I did like the way the targets were listed such as "distance to 100 yards" and many others.

After one round I am leaning toward keeping it but not 100% at this point. It guess it didn't hurt that I shot my low round for the season of 74 using the GG4 today. :D

I was going to post about my first round today with the Guru 4 but all I have to do is "ditto" the above post. I left my screen on bright with no dimming not wanting to have to hit the screen every time I want a distance. The battery indicator has four bars. Just into the back nine at a bit under 2 hours I only had one bar. On the 17th green at about 3:45 the indicator went red. The unit kept working ok for our 3:55 round but I was a bit disappointed in the battery life. I will try to use the dimming function next round and see if it is as big of a PITA as I think it will be.

One of my biggest concerns before the round today was the screen viewability outside. I held it up to a bud's Golf Buddy Tour and the Guru 4 screen was brighter. So for me that is now a non issue.

My only b**** is the battery duration. It is easy to use and very easy for my 60 year old eyes to see. I had the unit on the cart dash in the ball tray and had absolutely no problem seeing everything. I found that I liked the target view screen best which is the default screen that pops up. I pretty much found the Smart Green function useless. I did like the way the targets were listed such as "distance to 100 yards" and many others.

After one round I am leaning toward keeping it but not 100% at this point. It guess it didn't hurt that I shot my low round for the season of 74 using the GG4 today. :D

Sorry to hear about the battery issues. I didn't think that the smart or intelli green was that big of a deal anyway. You shot a 74?! You are my hero Rick. Some day I want to be like you!

I finally got mine today and am looking forward to using it. This is the 1st GPS unit that I have owned, but I have played several rounds with buddies who carry them. I think I will be able to get distances without any problem, however I am not sure about the "Mark" feature and scoring. Might take me a few rounds to get used to it.

On the 13th hole about 3 hours in I noticed that I only had one power bar left. By the 15th hole 3 ½ hours the battery meter was red (low battery). The unit never turned off but by the 17th and 18th holes the distances were off by 10 to 15 yards, compared to the G2. It does appear that you will have to charge the G4 before every round and if you are going to play 36 in a day you may not have it at the end.

That's a show stopper... forget about 36 holes in a day, what about the round which simply takes longer than four hours?

On the 13th hole about 3 hours in I noticed that I only had one power bar left. By the 15th hole 3 ½ hours the battery meter was red (low battery). The unit never turned off but by the 17th and 18th holes the distances were off by 10 to 15 yards, compared to the G2. It does appear that you will have to charge the G4 before every round and if you are going to play 36 in a day you may not have it at the end.

That's a show stopper... forget about 36 holes in a day, what about the round which simply takes longer than four hours?

That is with full screen brightness on with the dimmer turned off. The unit has several settings to auto dim the full brightness bring it back up by touching the screen which supposedly saves battery power.

From what I understand from the posts you can preset the amount of time that the screen dims. So, why not set it for a period of time for you to see the screen and select your club.

Can you set the brightness so that the screen is still easy to see but not full strength. This would save on battery life.

Honestly I don't believe that it would be that annoying to tap the screen when you are ready to select a club.

From what I understand from the posts you can preset the amount of time that the screen dims. So, why not set it for a period of time for you to see the screen and select your club.

Can you set the brightness so that the screen is still easy to see but not full strength. This would save on battery life.

Honestly I don't believe that it would be that annoying to tap the screen when you are ready to select a club.

If it's anything like my ipod touch, they claim that it can get up to 23 hours of battery life between charges. But I was only getting 4-5 hours when I first got it. Keeping the screen on dim for longer periods of time definitely gave me more battery time, but the more apps I used, or songs/videos I played and the more times I was actually scrolling and flipping pages was just as, if not more draining. These actions alone use a lot of juice. Now with my ipod, I just create libraries of the songs I want to hear, select that library, push play, and dim, and let it alone. It took my battery life to around 12-13 hours. However, with this touchscreen device, I really don't see a way around constantly using it without flipping, scrolling, etc.

I played my second round with the G4 today. The brightness was set at about 85% with the dimmer set for 30 seconds. I did not have any trouble seeing the screen. The dimmed screen took a solid tap to re-light the screen.

I keep score on my G4. I noticed it took extra effort to get the score count to change. I will experiment with a handy stylus, one that is on a strap or maybe l can slide it in my glove or stick it in the speaker jack for quick use. Any ideas would be appreciated. The stylus in the back of the G4 is just too hard to "whip" out.