New Golf Guru 4

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='phil75070' date='02 February 2010 - 01:52 PM' timestamp='1265136767' post='2222438']
I have heard nothing since they last updated the Guru4. I sent an email directly to Mr. Cornish about two weeks ago with no response. Even the "Ask the Prez" button on the website on the Presidents Blog page isn't working. I just requested a couple of AerVu courses. We'll have to wait and see what happens. At least the site is still up and one can add courses.
[/quote]

Someone on another golf forum was considering upgrading his Guru 2 to the Guru 4. Based on what I had been reading here I suggested that he check out the status of Golf Guru before doing so. Here is his reply,

[i]just gave them a call, perhaps you can post this on that thread on WRX Rick because I'm not a member there. I've joined 3 times and for whatever reason my password works for a day and then it fails.

I spoke to a gentleman about the AERVU maps issue. He said "look, I'm not gonna BS you, when we released this product there were bugs and problems with the software that we didn't anticipate. To make up for it, we decided to give everyone a 100 free AerVU credits. That was a mistake. We ended up SWAMPED with requests for course mappings and the process for producing the AerVu maps is much more time sensitive and costly. We honestly bit off more than we could chew and we were way behind on getting courses mapped. In the past month and a half with it being the "off season" so to speak we've gotten a lot more caught up. Presently it would take about 10 days to get an AerVu map request completed. Thats still longer than we would like but it's coming down every day."

I then asked him about the state of the company in regards to people haveing trouble reaching the website and phone lines. His response was that a few weeks ago their ISP had a major issue. They are located in a suburban area outside of a major city and there is only one main line coming into their facility that handles their internet as well as their phones. For close to a 4 day period they were having difficulties but that has since been rectified. The company is operating fine and he says sales are good. (note, I was speaking to a sales person here, not a customer service person)

He was very forthright and I felt he was being truthful. I told him straight up that I already owned a guru and was considering the upgrade to the guru 4 for the upcoming season. I don't think he was going to lie to me to get himself a $150 sale. I feel confident in going ahead and upgrading to the guru 4, especially since the golf season in earnest is still a couple months away here in NY so hopefully the mapping will be caught up. [/i]

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Rickochet' date='03 February 2010 - 10:28 AM' timestamp='1265210916' post='2224602']
[quote name='phil75070' date='02 February 2010 - 01:52 PM' timestamp='1265136767' post='2222438']
I have heard nothing since they last updated the Guru4. I sent an email directly to Mr. Cornish about two weeks ago with no response. Even the "Ask the Prez" button on the website on the Presidents Blog page isn't working. I just requested a couple of AerVu courses. We'll have to wait and see what happens. At least the site is still up and one can add courses.
[/quote]

Someone on another golf forum was considering upgrading his Guru 2 to the Guru 4. Based on what I had been reading here I suggested that he check out the status of Golf Guru before doing so. Here is his reply,

[i]just gave them a call, perhaps you can post this on that thread on WRX Rick because I'm not a member there. I've joined 3 times and for whatever reason my password works for a day and then it fails.

I spoke to a gentleman about the AERVU maps issue. He said "look, I'm not gonna BS you, when we released this product there were bugs and problems with the software that we didn't anticipate. To make up for it, we decided to give everyone a 100 free AerVU credits. That was a mistake. We ended up SWAMPED with requests for course mappings and the process for producing the AerVu maps is much more time sensitive and costly. We honestly bit off more than we could chew and we were way behind on getting courses mapped. In the past month and a half with it being the "off season" so to speak we've gotten a lot more caught up. Presently it would take about 10 days to get an AerVu map request completed. Thats still longer than we would like but it's coming down every day."

I then asked him about the state of the company in regards to people haveing trouble reaching the website and phone lines. His response was that a few weeks ago their ISP had a major issue. They are located in a suburban area outside of a major city and there is only one main line coming into their facility that handles their internet as well as their phones. For close to a 4 day period they were having difficulties but that has since been rectified. The company is operating fine and he says sales are good. (note, I was speaking to a sales person here, not a customer service person)

He was very forthright and I felt he was being truthful. I told him straight up that I already owned a guru and was considering the upgrade to the guru 4 for the upcoming season. I don't think he was going to lie to me to get himself a $150 sale. I feel confident in going ahead and upgrading to the guru 4, especially since the golf season in earnest is still a couple months away here in NY so hopefully the mapping will be caught up. [/i]
[/quote]

Any improvement over the last couple of months in terms of communication from the company, AerVu course availability, website accessibility, unit performance, etc.?

The big question is GG4 or one of the other color units on the market... the GG2 was pretty good from a value/performance standpoint- I don't (yet?) get the feeling the GG4 measures up.

Thoughts?

[quote name='Howie' date='28 March 2010 - 06:45 PM' timestamp='1269816327' post='2346583']

Any improvement over the last couple of months in terms of communication from the company, AerVu course availability, website accessibility, unit performance, etc.?

The big question is GG4 or one of the other color units on the market... the GG2 was pretty good from a value/performance standpoint- I don't (yet?) get the feeling the GG4 measures up.

Thoughts?
[/quote]

I sent an email to ask the Prez a week or so ago and to my surprise I rec'd a response from Mr. Cornish within about 2 hours of sending it. My email was concerning lack of news on their website, staleness of website content and nothing on the new product front. I was pleased to find out that they are very busy with getting SEVERAL NEW PRODUCTS ready, the first being the G6 which will launch within a couple of months. He acknowledged the stumble with the G4 but feels they've got most of those problems resolved, and the G6 should be much better out of the gate.

To me the G6 looks very attractive. It's the size of an iPhone, but about 1mm thicker. It has a bright sunlight readable display, a GPS chip that is even more accurate than the previous models, reportedly approaching "survey grade!" The other thing that is a big deal, is that the G6 will have a battery life that is about the same or better than the G002, which has always been good for 15 plus hours of operation. So if the G6 delivers 15 hours of operation, that will probably be the best in the industry for unit with a nice color display map. He also said that many iPhone accessories will work on the G6 as well.

Along with the G6 he also said there is going to be a significant makeover of the website with new functionality and a new release of software.
The new product will be rolled out to current customers first and their will be an upgrade program, similar to past programs.

I'm watching this one closely, and while I will likely never part with my G002, I may gift it to my son if I jump on the G6.

[quote name='Andy L' date='28 March 2010 - 07:51 PM' timestamp='1269823898' post='2346840']

I sent an email to ask the Prez a week or so ago and to my surprise I rec'd a response from Mr. Cornish within about 2 hours of sending it. My email was concerning lack of news on their website, staleness of website content and nothing on the new product front. I was pleased to find out that they are very busy with getting SEVERAL NEW PRODUCTS ready, the first being the G6 which will launch within a couple of months. He acknowledged the stumble with the G4 but feels they've got most of those problems resolved, and the G6 should be much better out of the gate.

To me the G6 looks very attractive. It's the size of an iPhone, but about 1mm thicker. It has a bright sunlight readable display, a GPS chip that is even more accurate than the previous models, reportedly approaching "survey grade!" The other thing that is a big deal, is that the G6 will have a battery life that is about the same or better than the G002, which has always been good for 15 plus hours of operation. So if the G6 delivers 15 hours of operation, that will probably be the best in the industry for unit with a nice color display map. He also said that many iPhone accessories will work on the G6 as well.

Along with the G6 he also said there is going to be a significant makeover of the website with new functionality and a new release of software.
The new product will be rolled out to current customers first and their will be an upgrade program, similar to past programs.

I'm watching this one closely, and while I will likely never part with my G002, I may gift it to my son if I jump on the G6.
[/quote]

Good news and I appreciate the update. From your description this G6 sounds intriguing and if I haven't pulled the trigger on something else in the interim, may give this a hard look (I'm also a G002 owner). Too bad they don't have this ready in time for the beginning of most people's 2010 golf season (or, for that matter, to contend with the SGX from SkyGolf). I don't get the impression the company is big/polished enough to get products to market fast enough to be ahead of the curve. I think whatever their next-gen product might be will ultimately dictate their ability to stay in the market after the G4 debacle.

The GG4 has an update, 4.0.3. There is also a firmware update. I'm not sure what has changed on the update(no note as to what was addressed). The firmware update allows the use of Microsoft Active-sync when using the GG4 utility to download courses or rounds.
Keeping GG4 & GG2 owners in the loop as to updates and current company news is an area that needs to be improved upon. I suggested to them an email news letter but never heard back. My GG4 works great, I am using both Golf GPS and Nav. GPS all the time.

[quote name='Howie' date='28 March 2010 - 09:07 PM' timestamp='1269824838' post='2346874']
[quote name='Andy L' date='28 March 2010 - 07:51 PM' timestamp='1269823898' post='2346840']

[/quote]

Good news and I appreciate the update. From your description this G6 sounds intriguing and if I haven't pulled the trigger on something else in the interim, may give this a hard look (I'm also a G002 owner). Too bad they don't have this ready in time for the beginning of most people's 2010 golf season (or, for that matter, to contend with the SGX from SkyGolf). I don't get the impression the company is big/polished enough to get products to market fast enough to be ahead of the curve. I think whatever their next-gen product might be will ultimately dictate their ability to stay in the market after the G4 debacle.
[/quote]

[quote name='Adamsguy' date='29 March 2010 - 08:33 AM' timestamp='1269866012' post='2347693']
The GG4 has an update, 4.0.3. There is also a firmware update. I'm not sure what has changed on the update(no note as to what was addressed). The firmware update allows the use of Microsoft Active-sync when using the GG4 utility to download courses or rounds.
Keeping GG4 & GG2 owners in the loop as to updates and current company news is an area that needs to be improved upon. I suggested to them an email news letter but never heard back. My GG4 works great, I am using both Golf GPS and Nav. GPS all the time.
[/quote]

Adamsguy,
I agree, Golf Guru's communication to current customers could be better. I understand they are very busy, but just a small periodic update to current customers and a little something on the website would let everyone know they are still alive. I'm glad to hear your GG4 works great. They really are a terrific company, and while the GG4 was somewhat buggy at launch, it seems that they really do follow through on fixes and the finish product is excellent. Also it's great that they provide an upgrade track for current customers. Also, I don't know of any other company that can provide map corrections or new maps as quickly as they do. Others companies talk about months for getting a map, while Golf Guru is a few days.

Howie, I agree, their development cycle seems to be out of sync with the golf season, which seems odd to me, but maybe its on purpose.

Regards.

• 3 weeks later...

Once again, Kudos to the team at Golf Guru!

I made a map request for a new course that was opened in Oct 2009, the Orlando Waldorf Astoria. I thought for sure that they might not be able to get the aerial imagery since it's such a new course. But once again, these folks at GG continue to exceed my expectations, delivering the map in 8 days!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Howie' date='28 March 2010 - 06:45 PM' timestamp='1269816327' post='2346583']

Thoughts?
[/quote]

[/quote]
Where did you find this info on the G6, to include dimensions? I'd love to find out more about it ASAP because I am considering purchasing the SGX, but don't want to wish I'd waited another month or two to purchase the G6. I tried Googling Golf Guru 6, but no luck.

[quote name='milfordj' date='24 April 2010 - 10:03 AM' timestamp='1272117795' post='2397929']

Where did you find this info on the G6, to include dimensions? I'd love to find out more about it ASAP because I am considering purchasing the SGX, but don't want to wish I'd waited another month or two to purchase the G6. I tried Googling Golf Guru 6, but no luck.
[/quote]

When Mr. Cornish responded to my inquiry, he said the G6 is the same size as an iPhone, just 1mm thicker. I haven't seen anything else from GG yet on the new model.

It would be nice if Golf Guru would post some news or something on their website. I have had my Guru 4 for almost a year and it is working well, but I almost feel abandoned by Golf Guru. A newsletter or a GG forum on their website would be nice.

A couple of comments about the G4 after almost a year:

I leave the dimmer off so I only get about 24 holes out of a round and have to charge it before each round. It would be nice to get at least two rounds in case you forget to charge it.

I find that I seldom use the Aervue maps, scoring or distance measuring. My favorite screen is the last one with the big fonts, so every hole I have to click 4 times to get to that screen. It would be nice if the user could select a default screen of choice on each hole which would make it pretty much hands free unless you needed to look for other information.

So the G6 will be coming out soon. I am not sure I want to invest any more money in a company that does such a poor job communicating with it's customers.