2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

New Golf Guru 4

[quote name='ChoppingBrocolli' post='1898579' date='Aug 18 2009, 09:26 PM']I have only 4 more days to return my G4 under the new software release trial. I am fairly sure I will keep it. My Nav Program arrives tomorrow and based on feedback in this site, it will most likely seal the deal.

I am [u]not satisfied[/u] with the response time to add a AerVu map. Suppose on Monday you get a chance to play a new course the coming Saturday. Want an AerVu map? You are outta luck! Since the release of the 50 free maps deal, wait time is at least 7 days and counting. There needs to be a Priority Request System. Heck I would even pay the $10 to get the map. :golfer:[/quote]

I can only comment on how fast GG repsonded to a standard course request. I asked for one and they had it done that day. I am guessing with the freebie Aervu credits they are overwhelmed.

My usual cart bud has a Golf Buddy he got earlier this year. He is missing about 5 courses we normally play and he requested them quite some time back and hasn't gotten any of them.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even with the update rolled out fixing some of the issues, I still see a problem with being able to scroll through a target list that has more than the three targets on a screen. Is anybody else experiencing this? The scroll/page up down arrows not working properly in the settings or stats views is an inconvenience, but not getting the distances to all of the targets that would be in play goes to the "heart" of what the device is supposed to do. The response I have gotten from Support is that this is issues is "closed", "minor" and is considered a "software suggestion". That won't cut it in my book!

[quote name='phil75070' post='1900604' date='Aug 19 2009, 03:41 PM']Even with the update rolled out fixing some of the issues, I still see a problem with being able to scroll through a target list that has more than the three targets on a screen. Is anybody else experiencing this? The scroll/page up down arrows not working properly in the settings or stats views is an inconvenience, but not getting the distances to all of the targets that would be in play goes to the "heart" of what the device is supposed to do. The response I have gotten from Support is that this is issues is "closed", "minor" and is considered a "software suggestion". That won't cut it in my book![/quote]

Phil, you might not be hitting the proper button. When I get a screen with more than three targets I get an arrow at the bottom of the screen. I don't think that arrow is a scroll up or down button. I bring up the other target pages by hitting the button at the top of the menu in the right margin that looks like one page overlapping the other. Having a scrolling option with the arrow would definitely be easier because I usually have that menu hidden.

That does work but if you go to the 2nd page of the settings screen where it shows the dist mode and which side the buttons are on the 'Up' arrow does take you to the previous page. Being a touch screen, one would assume that is the way they should work and one of the reasons they are there. Since I don't keep stats or score (except to "test" those features) and since I only rarely "mark" my shots, I can use and navigate around the device for the yardages without ever using those side buttons, and with the way the arrow works in the Settings screen I assumed that using the arrow to navigate through the list would be an option without having to use the side buttons. I want a device that gives me the yardages I need and want with as little interaction as possible. :) Besides, without my reading glasses. which I don't use on the course, I couldn't make out that the symbol as being overlapping pages until you pointed it out! LOL

So I used the Nav a few times, just to test it out going to and from work and it works just as well as my girlfriend's garmin, I thought it re-routed fairly quickly and over all worked as well as I hoped. It doesn't have a lot of the poi that I had hoped, but all in all it had enough of them to satisfy, the ones I was looking for I know how to get to anyways =) all in all I am very happy with my purchase! instead of mounting it to my window I bought one of those weighted dashboard holders (got it at bestbuy in the gps accesories) and most golf carts have enough of a dash to use it on for an alternative mount to the cup holder.

[url="http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8983674&type=product&id=1218016874184"]http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1218016874184[/url]

this is like the one I got, but at the store they had a few that were cheaper, the one I got was 35

[quote name='Adamsguy' post='1904267' date='Aug 20 2009, 10:14 PM']Well so far I have been enjoying my G4.
Does anybody know if the Nav software updates are free and or where to go to get them?
Also any word on how long it takes for aerial view requests to be ready for download?
Thanks Dennis[/quote]

I am learning to enjoy my G4 also. In fact, I sent back my G2 for the upgrade credit. So, all you people who want a used G2, it will be there in a few days.

I received my Nav system a few days ago. I love it. I am not sure about updates. [u]What needs to be updated at this date?[/u]

With regard to [u]AerVu[/u] requests....Before the 50 free maps deal, it was taking about 5 days to get a requested map posted. NOW with the "freebie 50", a map I ordered 11 days ago has not been mapped and it is at the top of my list ([u]and[/u] it was a map I used AerVu credits that I actually paid money for). According to GG, don't expect a map to posted for 3 weeks. :golfer:

[quote name='ChoppingBrocolli' post='1904805' date='Aug 21 2009, 09:05 AM'][quote name='Adamsguy' post='1904267' date='Aug 20 2009, 10:14 PM']Well so far I have been enjoying my G4.
Does anybody know if the Nav software updates are free and or where to go to get them?
Also any word on how long it takes for aerial view requests to be ready for download?
Thanks Dennis[/quote]

I am learning to enjoy my G4 also. In fact, I sent back my G2 for the upgrade credit. So, all you people who want a used G2, it will be there in a few days.

I received my Nav system a few days ago. I love it. I am not sure about updates. [u]What needs to be updated at this date?[/u]

With regard to [u]AerVu[/u] requests....Before the 50 free maps deal, it was taking about 5 days to get a requested map posted. NOW with the "freebie 50", a map I ordered 11 days ago has not been mapped and it is at the top of my list ([u]and[/u] it was a map I used AerVu credits that I actually paid money for). According to GG, don't expect a map to posted for 3 weeks. :golfer:
[/quote]

I had paid 70 for credits before they gave the 100 free points, and they refunded my money, you might want to see about that for those of you that paid for credits. I ended up using it towards the nav and the extended warrantee

[quote name='Adamsguy' post='1906931' date='Aug 22 2009, 08:50 AM']Will the GG4 charge by having it plugged into the puter through the USB port?[/quote]

The G4 manual says not to charge it with the USB. I don't know why it won't charge on the USB, my iGolf Neo did. Maybe it just takes too long with the larger battery so GG doesn't recommend it.

My new Guru4 quit working properly yesterday. I tried to set up the nav program and when I tried to start the Guru4 later, it booted to the Emend T-Scr then to the program screen. From there it wouldn't let me go to the golf or nav screen. When I touched the Application GURU icon it said, "Not find navigation software!". The nav card was inserted and the path appears to be correct. Now whenever I boot the Guru4 it goes to either the Emend T-Scr or the Programs screen with no way to get to my applications. HELP!

[quote name='tnewc' post='1909002' date='Aug 23 2009, 02:05 PM']My new Guru4 quit working properly yesterday. I tried to set up the nav program and when I tried to start the Guru4 later, it booted to the Emend T-Scr then to the program screen. From there it wouldn't let me go to the golf or nav screen. When I touched the Application GURU icon it said, "Not find navigation software!". The nav card was inserted and the path appears to be correct. Now whenever I boot the Guru4 it goes to either the Emend T-Scr or the Programs screen with no way to get to my applications. HELP![/quote]

It sounds like maybe the paths got screwed up somehow. It you can reset everthing back to default settings then see if the golf app works. The go back in a try reinstalling the Nav package.

[quote name='tnewc' post='1909002' date='Aug 23 2009, 02:05 PM']My new Guru4 quit working properly yesterday. I tried to set up the nav program and when I tried to start the Guru4 later, it booted to the Emend T-Scr then to the program screen. From there it wouldn't let me go to the golf or nav screen. When I touched the Application GURU icon it said, "Not find navigation software!". The nav card was inserted and the path appears to be correct. Now whenever I boot the Guru4 it goes to either the Emend T-Scr or the Programs screen with no way to get to my applications. HELP![/quote]

The same thing happened on mine after I booted it up the first time after loading the navagation package. You have to put it into sleep mode, then back out of it in order to go back to the main page. Not really sure why this happened or what that Emend T-scr app is even useful for. Also, you have to change the path on the applications icon back to "apps", instead of it pointing directly to the navagation application.

On another note, I used the golf gps app for the first time last Friday. It was working great until the fourth hole, I pulled it from my pocket to discover that the touch screen had cracked in 3 places. Mind you, I had my Guru for only a week now, and this was the 4th hole of golf it had ever seen. I had it in my cargo shorts with nothing else near it. I did not drop it, hit it, spike it, etc. . . it just split from the center of the right side of the screen, across the center and to the top and bottom. I was pissed. . . and it was rendered pretty much useless, since the touch screen had no idea where I was clicking anymore. I called tech support when I got home and after 20 minutes or so (and after he tried to charge me $45 to get a new touch screen), he agreed that it never should have happened and is sending me a complete new replacement (free of charge) this week. It did take some arguing and venting on my part (which was extremely justified), but he did come around to seeing it my way, and I was, so far, satisfied with my customer service experience.

Anyone else have a screen break for no legitimate reason? I hope the next one isn't this fragile, and this was just a freak accident with a defective device.

[quote name='tnewc' post='1912025' date='Aug 24 2009, 10:21 PM']Well, now I tried to add some courses to my list but they wouldn't download to my G4. After syncing the original 81 courses are stiil there, but not the new ones. If this is intuitive, I must have no intuition!(sorry, I'm losing patience)[/quote]

I had 27 courses loaded on my G4. I downloaded the new utility software then tried to download 3 more course and they wouldn't download. I deleted the "new" utility and fortunately had the original utility file to reinstall. I installed the new courses using the old utility and it works fine.

I finally got an Aervu map for my home course. I played a round with it and I am not very impressed with it. It shows the hole with small red squares which are the mapped points which are shown on the other screens. The problem is that you can't hardly see the red squares in the bright sunlight. The Aervu maps contain very little detail. I think I used it twice in the round. You also have to hit the view button to get off of the Aervu screen and get to another screen. Lots of button pushing. If you got the G4 mainly for the Aervu maps I think that you will be disappointed. Getting the maps free was nice but I would be really pissed if I had paid for them. In general, I think the Aervu maps are more of a pain in the a** than useful. I will probably ditch them and go back to the standard maps.

[quote name='Rickochet' post='1914927' date='Aug 26 2009, 07:35 AM']I finally got an Aervu map for my home course. I played a round with it and I am not very impressed with it. It shows the hole with small red squares which are the mapped points which are shown on the other screens. The problem is that you can't hardly see the red squares in the bright sunlight. The Aervu maps contain very little detail. I think I used it twice in the round. You also have to hit the view button to get off of the Aervu screen and get to another screen. Lots of button pushing. If you got the G4 mainly for the Aervu maps I think that you will be disappointed. Getting the maps free was nice but I would be really pissed if I had paid for them. In general, I think the Aervu maps are more of a pain in the a** than useful. I will probably ditch them and go back to the standard maps.[/quote]
Rickochet, I tend to agree with you with regard to the usefullness of the AerVu feature. I don't use it that much on my home course. That's probably because I already know it like the back of my hand. You are also right about the lack of detail on the map. The AerVu map will show a body of water only if it is the size of the Atlantic Ocean, but will not warn you of a [u]creek[/u] that might be guarding the green.

I was hoping the AerVu feature would be a substitute for the course maps usually supplied on the course scorecards. But the lack of detail and most disappointing, the [u]delay[/u] of getting a new AerVu map posted (about 3 weeks) defeats the purpose of the AerVu mapping feature (as far as I am concerned)

All in all, I am still glad that I made the switch from the G2. There are differences in viewing and usage that I am getting used to. I love the Nav program.
:golfer:

[quote name='ChoppingBrocolli' post='1914987' date='Aug 26 2009, 09:12 AM']I love the Nav program.
:golfer:[/quote]

Seems this is the best feature of this new box. An unintended result, for certain, in light of the presumed desire to make this unit an improvement over the existing Guru golf GPS products. The reviews, at least in this forum, for the G4 have been, on average, tepid at best.

Some of the comments about the failure of the AerVu maps to deliver meaningful information in a fashion which is user-friendly and quick causes me to ask the question: are there any GPS units which have gotten this correct? Or... are GPS units best geared-- like the G2, Skycaddie, etc.-- to simply deliver yardages to pre-established points identified by text descriptions?

[quote name='Erniem' post='1913734' date='Aug 25 2009, 05:16 PM']My screen broke before I even got to use it and they charged me $45.[/quote]

Why did they charge you anything? I would wear them out until they replaced it for free. It comes with a one year warranty.

Does anyone know if there is any type of warranty information posted by Golf Guru?

[size=3]Well, here is my take and my questions regarding the GG4. I have read all the blogs you have posted here and I must say they are dead on.. About three weeks ago I forgot the my GG2 on a golf cart and someone decided to keep it and not return it to me.( it had my name and phone number) oh well my loss. Well I did go ahead and ordered the GG4 and received it on Wednesday, on Saturday I went out and played 1 round with it. Not impressed with it. I normally play two rounds on Saturdays, I really don’t see this unit ever making it 2 rounds on one charge. (very bad for me) Regarding the Aervu, I’m not hearing anything great about it. I’m having the same issues everyone else is. Not available for my courses yet. Regarding the Nav I really don’t need it I already have one. And my question. How much better can they really make this thing with updates? I don’t think they can do anything about battery life. Would anyone recommend me keeping it and wait for updates or just wait the GG2 to be available? [/size]

[quote name='Rickochet' post='1915036' date='Aug 26 2009, 09:35 AM'][quote name='Erniem' post='1913734' date='Aug 25 2009, 05:16 PM']My screen broke before I even got to use it and they charged me $45.[/quote]

Why did they charge you anything? I would wear them out until they replaced it for free. It comes with a one year warranty.

Does anyone know if there is any type of warranty information posted by Golf Guru?

[/quote]

The customer service rep tried to tell me that it was going to be $45 as well, but there was no way that was going to happen. I had it for less than a week and used it for less than 4 holes. After "chatting" with him for a bit, he decided that it was not my fault and more of a manufacturer defect. This would make it fall under the 'one year warranty against manufacturer defects' that is listed on the website.

Also, since you said that it had broken before you even used it, you could have always returned it for the '30 day unconditional money back satisfaction guarantee.'

I am still hoping that the GG4 works out. I was happy with the NAV so far, but really hoping that the Golf GPS part of the unit starts living up to the hype. Should at least be durable for use on a golf course. . .

[quote name='brokentee' post='1915374' date='Aug 26 2009, 12:22 PM'][size=3].... About three weeks ago I forgot the my GG2 on a golf cart and someone decided to keep it and not return it to me.( it had my name and phone number) oh well my loss. [/size][/quote]

I feel bad for you that no one turned in your guru GG2, and whoever kept it is a real human POS! Make sure you let golf guru know your unit was lost so they make sure that the POS that kept it can't register it.

It's also a damn shame that they aren't making new GG2's either.

Good luck.

I'm loving my GG4, but since this is my first gps I don't really have anything to compare it to. Living in a relative world can be good and bad depending on your past experiences.

I'm sure there will be positive software updates as we go along based on the feedback they are getting from us. I think we are only experiencing the tip of the iceburg on what the GG4 will be capable of delivering. Keep the faith!
Dennis