2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

When is a golf course unsafe to play because of lightning?

Just got back from the course. My group was playing 18 holes, and on the 3rd hole we started hearing thunder off in the distance. By the time we got to the fifth tee the storm was pretty close and the thunder was pretty damn loud. A ranger was driving past and I asked him if the other guys in our group could have a rain check because the course was unsafe. As we were standing there, a huge lightning bolt shot across the sky less than a mile from the course. I asked the ranger to radio the clubhouse and ask if we should keep going and they responded that, "we don't cancel play unless it's raining." We decided to just head in, and when we got to the clubhouse we checked the radar and saw a violent storm about to hit our town.

I understand that this is probably the busiest (and most profitable) day of the year for this municipal course, but it seems pretty unprofessional to force people to continue playing when lightning is less than a mile away. As we were walking in we saw tons of people continue to tee off on #1 and play through the storm. Most of these people are not experienced golfers and I'm sure they don't realize how dangerous lightning can be, but isn't this where the management should ensure their safety? Also, it doesn't seem fair for us to quit in the middle of the nine and have to wait at the back of the line to tee off again whenever the storm clears (the course had a two hour wait before we could tee off again).

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Municipal courses have to answer to somebody. Usually a professional email or letter to the mayor, head professional, parks and recreational board, ect will rectify the situation.

A letter written to the mayor, is public record and usally will be read in open mayors court, ect.

Just a professional and SAFE way to look out for yourself and others.

Just got back from the course. My group was playing 18 holes, and on the 3rd hole we started hearing thunder off in the distance. By the time we got to the fifth tee the storm was pretty close and the thunder was pretty damn loud. A ranger was driving past and I asked him if the other guys in our group could have a rain check because the course was unsafe. As we were standing there, a huge lightning bolt shot across the sky less than a mile from the course. I asked the ranger to radio the clubhouse and ask if we should keep going and they responded that, "we don't cancel play unless it's raining." We decided to just head in, and when we got to the clubhouse we checked the radar and saw a violent storm about to hit our town.

I understand that this is probably the busiest (and most profitable) day of the year for this municipal course, but it seems pretty unprofessional to force people to continue playing when lightning is less than a mile away. As we were walking in we saw tons of people continue to tee off on #1 and play through the storm. Most of these people are not experienced golfers and I'm sure they don't realize how dangerous lightning can be, but isn't this where the management should ensure their safety? Also, it doesn't seem fair for us to quit in the middle of the nine and have to wait at the back of the line to tee off again whenever the storm clears (the course had a two hour wait before we could tee off again).

I say BS to the ranger! I’m sure you should have been instructed to leave the course, no choice. Then a reasonable time would be allowed for the weather to clear before you go back out. Two-hours is normally about the amount of time when most courses start providing rain checks, Also rain checks aren’t a bad thing, they bring business back to the course.

Titleist TSR-1 10.5 Speeder Driver, 3-wood, 7-wood
Callaway Epic Star Max, 5-wood

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 6-AW

Titleist TSR-1 Hybrids 5 and 6 

TM Putter

Srixon Z-Star

Don't know where you were, but here in Orlando courses have lightning detectors installed that go off at the slightest. The ranger was an idiot . No matter how busy it was your personal safety and their liability should have been #1 for an employee and yourself of course. I would have gone in and given them a piece to begin with,then waited an appropriate time for the storm to pass. If not get a raincheck or better yet don't go back there. In today's world repeat business has to be at a premium, especially in an industry on the slide.

Just to put a number on it, it is possible that lightning can travel as much as 30 miles from the originating storm. You probably won't even the see the lightning, but you can definitely hear the resulting thunder from 30 miles away. In short, as one of the above poster's course said, as soon as you can hear thunder, that should be it. Holding metal rods in a clear area during a lightning storm is a really poor decision.

If you can hear thunder, then you are close enough to be struck by lightning. If you hear it off in the distance and it keeps getting closer and the sky is turning uglier, you should get off the course. The heck with waiting for a horn or what a ranger says. Whether rain is falling or not the danger is still there.

From the rules of golf:

"Golfers know that the USGA Rules of Golf (Rule 6-8) allow players to discontinue play if they believe there is a danger from lightning. No other sport has any regulations relating to lightning."

A short link worth reading and sending to the superintendent and city manager of your municipal course

http://www.lightningsafety.com/nlsi_pls/go...yrecommend.html

I've stayed on a course too long and it wasn't pleasant. You should learn what to do if you can't find an appropriate lightning safe structure in order to reduce your chances of being hit. http://www.lightningsafety.com/contents.html

A course's raincheck policy should never be the determining factor as far as the need to get off the course when lightning is near. The lack of a raincheck or refund doesn't force anyone to keep playing. I wouldn't be happy about being out a few dollars but I'm not going to risk my life for it.

Oh, I agree. I was off the course regardless since I have a season pass, but I was just trying to help the guys I was playing with get rain checks. Plus it looked like it was only going to be a brief storm and if they left it was going to be 2 hours before they got back on the course.