2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

nike sq max w/ acculaunch 70 shaft

golfernut78

i've got it back and played with it.
alright, couple weeks back i posted about getting a new sq tour and sq max, both 9.5*, both aldila nv-75 stiff shafts. i compared the two against my ignite 410 9.5* w/ aldila nv-75 stiff. the tour was great, but the max was off, i couldn't get the ball up, and when i could it would just fall out of the sky. here is a link to the complete post including launch monitor data: new shaft for sq max, can't get the ball up

well, jody at accuflex made a bold statement that the new acculaunch 70 would be perferct for me. so bold that jody offered me the shaft for free. today, i was finally able to hit it, hit it on a luanch monitor and even played 18 holes and i wanted to post a review for all.

first off, i want to praise jody. this was a bold offer. above and beyond. there is a reason accuflex is the fastest growing shaft company. when i revieced the shaft i was extremely suprised and impressed that not only was there the shaft, but also a accuflex hat. that speaks volumes to me about jody and the accuflex family. we are all lucky to have jody as a member of this forum.

as for shaft. its a good lucking shaft. black and grey. simple but effective. i like that. looks really good with the sq, unfortunately the red and black golf pride decade multicompound grip didn't do any favors for winning the beauty contest. apperntly the stock length of the sq max was 44-1/4" i ended up having the the shaft cut at 45". easier to cut a shaft then add length. this could change.

the performance. this is definetly not the aldila nv-75. although it its pretty close in weight, just a tad less, but that was alright. it still had a great feel in the swing. the shaft definetly is not a "boardy" as the aldila with a better feel of where the head is throughout the swing. this shaft is a little more on the flexy side than i prefer. typically shafts with this feel have always been inconsistent for me. not the case here. the shots were very consistent. balls were straight or a fade. the distance and carry were there. on the range i could see this was a definite improvement. the launch angle is higher and it doesn't just die. the launch monitor numbers were a little inconsistent. my swing was just really off on the monitor, but the numbers we did get showed some improvements. the spin was up in the 3,000. the launch angle was up in the 14* and 15* area. the ball speed was down, but so was my swing speed. on the golf course i could see defenite improvement. i was fighting the right side, all fades, i was getting the distance i expect. all shots, good or bad still had the same result.

i've got some work to do on the swing. the iron swing is strong, but the driver/wood swing is in need of some help. i think when i can get it worked out i should see even better results with the sq max/acculaunch combination. i would highly recommend this combination to anyone. i plan on getting some more play in it see how it really performs and get my swing fixed. probably will also cut the shaft 44-1/4" like it was before, but well see if i want to take it out of the butt or if i want to stiffin the tip up a little and take it out of the tip.

i want to again thanks jody for everything. you went out there with a great recommendation and delivered with great results. you've made me an accuflex believer. next time i am looking at a new shaft for a driver or wood i will be looking at accuflex.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank ypu for taking the time to post such a thorough review. And thank you for your praise for my company, it is very appreciated! We are very committed to trying to improve the quality of golf for every golfer, through better technology and products, we are a small company, but growing, we love what we do!

I am glad that we got the chance to do this "experiment" and very happy that things are "coming together" I know what you mean about the iron swing vs. the driver swing, for me one is on, the other seems to be less than stellar :-)

Keep up the good work, brush that little rust off, and since the season is about to kick in pretty full, no problem!

Thanks for all of your positive comments, again thanks for such a positive review, and welcome aboard the AccuFLEX train :crazy: :idhitit: LOL.......

Stay in Touch, Great Golfing to you!

Jody

Glad to hear that the AccuLaunch 70 may work out.

Jody, are there any clubfitters in the NY city area carrying those shafts? I went to Ken's Custom Clubs last year for a fitting and I know Jacques is in Greenwich. Anyone else?

Titleist TS3 Driver
Callaway Rogue 13.5 degree 3W
Callaway Rogue 19 degree 5W
Callaway Epic Flash 21 degree 7-wood or
Mizuno MP-H5 21 degree 3 iron
Mizuno MP-4 4-PW
Callaway MD3 54 degree
Callaway MD3 58 degree

The Nike site says that the stock shaft is 45 inches. What gives with the 44 1/4 inches you state in your post?

yeah, it does. there was a post, i believe here, that they were running short. i measure mine and thought it was 45, but when my club guy measured it he got 44-1/4. i had him check my tour too, and it was 44-1/4" i don't know whats up with it, unless his measuring stick was jacked.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

Jody, are there any clubfitters in the NY city area carrying those shafts? I went to Ken's Custom Clubs last year for a fitting and I know Jacques is in Greenwich. Anyone else?

sirvinm,

Check this link for NY clubmakers.....................

http://accuflexgolf.com/buy_retail_display.asp?state=NY

There could be a couple not on there, Like Ken's because he buys "indirect" so that is probably why he is missing, we will also try to update these more often....

Let me know if you need any help...................

Try Custom Golf of Connecticut in Stamford or

Try Demane Golf in Greenwich or

Try Enterprise Golf in Secaucus

i've had the oppurtunity to play another round (well 15 holes, had to leave early for opening day) and its getting better. i felt my swing was much better today. still had a bit of a fade, but i will contribute that to the extra 3/4" in shaft. it was breezy today. down wind or cross wind, it was great. into the wind, the trajectory was a little too high and the ball would float a little. because of this, i am considering pulling the shaft and tipping it 3/4" rather than butt triming. i'm also toying with the idea of trying the acculaunch 80. the aldila nv-75 i was using was 79 grams, and the acculaunch 70 is 72 grams. i know its only 7 gram difference, but it is 1 swingweight. also a slightly higher kickpoint and little less trajectory. should be that perfect trajectory i love.

all in all, i am very happy with it the acculaunch 70, and if it doesn't stay, it will only be becuase of going with the 80.

I'm really interested in getting a Sasquatch myself and need help. I've hit the stock shaft and thought it was too inconsistent and too high. My first thought was a Aldila NV-75 but after your post I'm having second thoughts. The AccuLaunch sounds good, but as I see your having problems with it too high. I fight that too. Any opinions on a V2-75, NVS-75, Comp NT 85, or Prolaunch 75 in the Sasquatch?

Thanks guys.

well, there is definite improvement with the accuflex shaft, but i feel like the ball is floating a lot, and its becoming a problem in the winds (big problem this time of year here in texas). i'm debating tipping, to reduce the spin or looking at another shaft. i'm gonna continue to work on it, but i am opening the board again for any shaft suggestions.

well, there is definite improvement with the accuflex shaft, but i feel like the ball is floating a lot, and its becoming a problem in the winds (big problem this time of year here in texas). i'm debating tipping, to reduce the spin or looking at another shaft. i'm gonna continue to work on it, but i am opening the board again for any shaft suggestions.

GN,

Are you having any issues hiting the club more on the bottom of the face? if so that can increase the spin quite a bit, most new driver models "sweet area" is just above the center line of the face...just a heads up.

First try tipping the shaft some to stiffen up the tip, help lower the trajectory.

Also if a shaft can fix the problem (again other factors may be at play) is the Evolution, if you "float/spin" that thing, then "Houston we have a real problem" LOL :stop:

Drop me a line if you need any help or suggestions.

I'm really interested in getting a Sasquatch myself and need help. I've hit the stock shaft and thought it was too inconsistent and too high. My first thought was a Aldila NV-75 but after your post I'm having second thoughts. The AccuLaunch sounds good, but as I see your having problems with it too high. I fight that too. Any opinions on a V2-75, NVS-75, Comp NT 85, or Prolaunch 75 in the Sasquatch?

Thanks guys.

NVS, Prolaunch NO! opposite of what you need.

As Gnut and I talked about, so many factors can be causing this, but if we can fix it by the shaft alone, then we ned some detailed info. to dial you in.

As I just posted the Evolution will flatten that Ball Flight no question about it....

Drop me a line if I can help...

Will be out of town until Monday, but will be checking in over the weekend.

I have my new SQ and have been wondering what AccuFlex shaft I could test out to hit the ball higher. I hit the Grapholloy Blue well now but want a higher ball flight with it so was wondering if you had any suggestions for an Accuflex shaft that could help me hit it higher. My SS is about 95-100 and BS about 145-150. Thanks in advance.

GN,

Are you having any issues hiting the club more on the bottom of the face? if so that can increase the spin quite a bit, most new driver models "sweet area" is just above the center line of the face...just a heads up.

First try tipping the shaft some to stiffen up the tip, help lower the trajectory.

Also if a shaft can fix the problem (again other factors may be at play) is the Evolution, if you "float/spin" that thing, then "Houston we have a real problem" LOL :stop:

Drop me a line if you need any help or suggestions.

i'm making a short list of shafts i am looking at and the evolution, v2, prolaunch, and nvs.

i am hitting center or a little above center (i've been putting red marks on the ball, and putting the mark to back when i tee the ball and see the mark on the club face). i've widened my stance, and can definitely feel that i am catching the ball on the up swing.

its gone from being a test to an obsession. i feel like i am so close with this driver, and i've caught a few that have been huge. i can promise you this, when it gets figured out, its going to be in the bag a long time.

"As I just posted the Evolution will flatten that Ball Flight no question about it...."

I totally agree! The Evolution flattened my ball flight right out!!! I am a high ball hitter and this thing has by far given me the best ball flight I have ever achieved. I have tried many different shafts trying to lower my ball flight and nothing came close to what this shaft has done for me. Really what it did was just level my ball flight out. The ball gets right up and just planes out and seems to carry for ever. I have had several AJ Tech Shafts, Fujikuras, UST's, Aldilas just to name a few brands and the Evo is in a class of its own. Best of luck to you with whatever shaft you decide to go with.

its a work in progress, but i appreciate the feed back. i'm really just trying to get a better understanding of the properties of shafts and how shaft characteristics affect ball flight. i've got the general info:

high bend point = low trajectory

low bend point = high trajectory

tip stiff = less spin

tip soft = more spin

its now of understanding in better detail these items and other factors. it doesn't help that all companies have different standards. its going to be an education, so i am going to slow down and learn as much as i can and not rush this decision as have been the last couple of weeks.

plus, in another turn of events, i've spoken with three different club fitters and they all have different opinions.

- club fitter a thinks the low trajectory is fine by need more spin to keep the ball up

- club fitter b wants more trajectory and more spin for higher longer carry

- club fitter c likes the low spin and wants more trajectory because more spin will cause the ball to ballon in the texas winds.

i'm still open for any suggestions people have for shafts, or there opinions on spin/launch angle. it might be time for joe kwok too. like i said, i just want to get more and more info.