2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Are "staff" bags too pretentious for Amateurs?

...or simply an upgrade?
Thinking of turning in my well worn-out ping hoofer for a mid sized titleist staff bag for christmas. I work in a proshop part time and many of my friends and even my dad think it's a good idea. I only play pro v's and a cameron and wear some of their apparel from the company, so would that be enough to warrant the committment to a titleist staff bag? Myself, I was thinking of getting just a new model ping hoofer. At the US Am qualifier I played in last summer, I fit right in with my used up hoofer. So like the topic reads...too pretentious or just an upgrade?

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always think too pretentious, but secretly we all want one with our name on it, if only for the den.

Stealth 2 10.5˚ Ventus TR Red 6-S
Stealth 15˚ Ventus TR Blue 7-S
Stealth 19˚Hy Ventus Blue 8-S
SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
MG Hi-Toe 3 50˚, 54˚, 58˚ MMT 125
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

9" or 9.5" staff bag is perfect for cart riding. The clubs slide in and out easily, much better on a cart than any carry bag or cart bag. Also, in the trunk of a car or on airplanes the hard sided staff bag protects the clubs. If one rides a cart, staff bag is definitely the way to go.
However, personalizing a bag with the player's name is a right earned by Tour players, and only Tour players.
Amateurs should never, ever, have their name embroidered or silk screened on their golf bag. Name on the bag must be EARNED through excellent play to qualify for a major professional Tour.

[quote name='bphgolfman' post='2096463' date='Dec 1 2009, 07:21 PM']Thinking of turning in my well worn-out ping hoofer for a mid sized titleist staff bag for christmas. I work in a proshop part time and many of my friends and even my dad think it's a good idea. I only play pro v's and a cameron and wear some of their apparel from the company, so would that be enough to warrant the committment to a titleist staff bag? Myself, I was thinking of getting just a new model ping hoofer. At the US Am qualifier I played in last summer, I fit right in with my used up hoofer. So like the topic reads...too pretentious or just an upgrade?[/quote]

Only if you ride in tournaments, otherwise, go easy on your caddie.

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

I think you've answered your own question as to whether or not you feel they're too pretentious merely by creating this thread............As for me, I have one for my living room, but it never sees the course. (One of the reps from work gave it to me as a small token of appreciation)

If you want one, get one......do what makes you happy.

Well this has been hit on before but I will bite. Do what you want some people will say you look like a tool with a staff bag. There is no magic # that it becomes cool to carry a staff bag. I will never understand the need for approval of others too do something. If you like it use it period.. People will BIT@# about you if you were jeans to the course, these same people will Bit@# if you dress too nice.. God forbid you match.. Just look at the people that say a staff bag is for posers these are the same people with there M3 bmw"s in the parking lot when they cant even handle there wifes mini van lol!!!!!!!!

[quote name='frozen_rope' post='2096488' date='Dec 1 2009, 08:29 PM']9" or 9.5" staff bag is perfect for cart riding. The clubs slide in and out easily, much better on a cart than any carry bag or cart bag. Also, in the trunk of a car or on airplanes the hard sided staff bag protects the clubs. If one rides a cart, staff bag is definitely the way to go.
However, personalizing a bag with the player's name is a right earned by Tour players, and only Tour players.
Amateurs should never, ever, have their name embroidered or silk screened on their golf bag. Name on the bag must be EARNED through excellent play to qualify for a major professional Tour.[/quote]

I did not know this

[quote name='OneBowTie' post='2096499' date='Dec 1 2009, 07:32 PM'][quote name='frozen_rope' post='2096488' date='Dec 1 2009, 08:29 PM']9" or 9.5" staff bag is perfect for cart riding. The clubs slide in and out easily, much better on a cart than any carry bag or cart bag. Also, in the trunk of a car or on airplanes the hard sided staff bag protects the clubs. If one rides a cart, staff bag is definitely the way to go.
Amateurs should never, ever, have their name embroidered or silk screened on their golf bag. Name on the bag must be EARNED through excellent play to qualify for a major professional Tour.[/quote]

I did not know this
[/quote]

It's a secret, only the Rope knows...

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

[quote name='OneBowTie' post='2096499' date='Dec 1 2009, 08:32 PM'][quote name='frozen_rope' post='2096488' date='Dec 1 2009, 08:29 PM']9" or 9.5" staff bag is perfect for cart riding. The clubs slide in and out easily, much better on a cart than any carry bag or cart bag. Also, in the trunk of a car or on airplanes the hard sided staff bag protects the clubs. If one rides a cart, staff bag is definitely the way to go.

I did not know this
[/quote]

Me either. OP, you should be shameless in your love for a staff bag. Throw your John Hancock on it and then put "Golf God" underneath if you want. Get your SB pimped out with some bling. Life is too short to worry about entitlement and status. I have a SB - it makes me play better (lol)...period!

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

A staff bag is something you are given , if you are a pro.

I am in that camp of small minded people that says if you have to pay your own money for a staff bag, then you should not be using one. It would be, to use your word, pretentious, IMHO.

[having said that, I admit I have spent most of my life not really caring what other people think about what I wear or what I drive and all of that]

[quote name='parpar41' post='2096531' date='Dec 1 2009, 08:41 PM'][color="#00FF00"]A staff bag is something you are given[/color] ,[color="#FF0000"] if you are a pro.[/color]

I am in that camp of small minded people that says if you have to pay your own money for a staff bag, then you should not be using one. It would be, to use your word, pretentious, IMHO.

[having said that, I admit I have spent most of my life not really caring what other people think about what I wear or what I drive and all of that][/quote]

interesting.... I was given a staff bag....but Im not a pro.....

who should I return this too?????

[quote name='OneBowTie' post='2096546' date='Dec 1 2009, 08:45 PM'][quote name='parpar41' post='2096531' date='Dec 1 2009, 08:41 PM'][color="#00FF00"]A staff bag is something you are given[/color] ,[color="#FF0000"] if you are a pro.[/color]

[having said that, I admit I have spent most of my life not really caring what other people think about what I wear or what I drive and all of that][/quote]

interesting.... I was given a staff bag....but Im not a pro.....

who should I return this too?????
[/quote]

+1

[quote name='OneBowTie' post='2096473' date='Dec 1 2009, 07:24 PM']only you can really make the call....either you want a staff bag....or you don't

does it really matter what I or anybody else thinks[/quote]
+1

Qi10 9* w/Ventus Blue TR 6TX

BRNR Mini 13.5* w/Tensei Pro Orange 80TX
TSr3 18* w/Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

TP 08’ 3-PW w/MMT 125TX

Mg4 50*, 56*, 60* w/DG S400

Tour Spider V DB 
TP5X 24'

[quote name='MadGolfer76' post='2096529' date='Dec 1 2009, 07:41 PM'][quote name='OneBowTie' post='2096499' date='Dec 1 2009, 08:32 PM'][quote name='frozen_rope' post='2096488' date='Dec 1 2009, 08:29 PM']9" or 9.5" staff bag is perfect for cart riding. The clubs slide in and out easily, much better on a cart than any carry bag or cart bag. Also, in the trunk of a car or on airplanes the hard sided staff bag protects the clubs. If one rides a cart, staff bag is definitely the way to go.

I did not know this
[/quote]

Me either. OP, you should be shameless in your love for a staff bag. Throw your John Hancock on it and then put "Golf God" underneath if you want. Get your SB pimped out with some bling. Life is too short to worry about entitlement and status. I have a SB - it makes me play better (lol)...period!
[/quote]
+1 again

Qi10 9* w/Ventus Blue TR 6TX

BRNR Mini 13.5* w/Tensei Pro Orange 80TX
TSr3 18* w/Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

TP 08’ 3-PW w/MMT 125TX

Mg4 50*, 56*, 60* w/DG S400

Tour Spider V DB 
TP5X 24'

[quote name='seanh' post='2096622' date='Dec 1 2009, 09:13 PM']I have 4. All were given to me. So, I guess I'm gonna need that address to send them back. ;)

If you wanna have a staff bag, [color="#FF0000"]play blades, put tour issue equipment in it, wear white classics with a belt to match, but you cant break 100[/color], who cares! Play what you want.[/quote]

1 out of 4 aint bad!!!!!

[quote name='parpar41' post='2096531' date='Dec 1 2009, 07:41 PM']I am in that camp of small minded people that says if you have to pay your own money for a staff bag, then you should not be using one. It would be, to use your word, pretentious, IMHO.[/quote]
Better go talk to the guy down at the golf shop then, they've got all that inventory and NOBODY should be buying it. Here's a hint for you naysayers though: the companies put their staff bags out for sale to the general public. They aren't for the elite, or for professionals only. If they didn't want them to be out, they wouldn't sell them at GolfSmith!

I don't use one, never cared much for them, but if someone gave me one as a gift I'd sure as hell use it. God forbid they cared enough to have it embroidered for me. Use it if it makes you happy, and tell guys like frozen to F-off.

[quote name='Guia' post='2096673' date='Dec 1 2009, 09:43 PM']I wish to apologize to whom ever I offended with my bawdy language in my previous post. I should have said "Urinate" instead of the naughty word I posted. People just should not be subjected to such vile and deviant language. Please, I beg you to pray for my soul and forgive me. I post this in all sincerity.[/quote]

i must have missed it....prayers sent and all is forgiven with me;)

its the rest of the heathens you gotta worry about !!!!

This past weekend I saw a guy at the Pinehurst driving range with a Ping cart bag with his name on it and no; judging by his swing, he wasn't a pro. He also had a Bronze Star and a couple of other medals pinned to his bag. Anyone here want to challenge him on having his name on a staff bag?

Didn't think so.

You all need to grow up and stop worrying about little things like this and play, wear and carry whatever you want.
Rant off!

I have a very nice Staff bag (10") I won about 20+ years ago, it is so heavy that I couldn't even tote it when I was young. I now use it for extra club storage. However, I do have a 9.5 Mizuno bag I put on the cart, I get a lot of compliments about it. Senior golfers don't care about what you carry, we are just happy to still be out there.

[quote name='mikec222' post='2096699' date='Dec 1 2009, 10:53 PM']I can't believe I am saying this, but I agree with frozen rope.

Don't buy a staff bag, I don't know about where you live, but if you lugged one of those around, you would be the kind of person that the guys in the proshop and backshop rip up as soon as you leave the shop.[/quote]
my point exactly unless you beat the @$$ at the club championship . .

But if it makes you happy then who cares . .Even if some people cant go pro, they can look the part huh??

This topic has been done many times. I have seen people brutally critized (like me) because we say to "get and do what you want". Because I use a staff bag, I even had one member claim that I am trying to look like a pro! People like that just don't get it.
Don't get me wrong, everyone is entitled to their opinion. It's just they way they present it sometimes crosses the line.

If you are going to feel "un-easy" or worry what people (on the course) are saying about you using a staff bag, then maybe you shouldn't. But if not, then by all means, get it and be happy with it. I have used the analogy many times, about the car you're driving. People will critizie your bag but they are driving Lexus, Benz, etc. If you want to drive the best, all the power to you.
If you want to use the best or flashiest equipment, in golf... same thing. NO ONE SHOULD EVER BE CRITIZED FOR WHAT THEY USE. Period.

I'm like a lot of members here. Use what you want and to hell what others think/say.